Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

UberJew posted:

there's at least four that meet that description, one of which is also translated by the same site as kenkyo kenjitsu

at least because that's the number on my reading list

It's actually an entire genre of its own, with over 1300 titles. Kenkyo is the most successful example, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
While walking down the street an apple hit my head and I awakened my previous life memories. WHAAAA? I'M THE FAT OR SUPER PRETTY BUT STUCK UP BAD GUY FROM A FORGETTABLE GIRL-GAME WITH A FOOD-RELATED TITLE?

*A bunch of stupid onomatopoeia*

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

FriggenJ posted:

While walking down the street an apple hit my head and I awakened my previous life memories. WHAAAA? I'M THE FAT OR SUPER PRETTY BUT STUCK UP BAD GUY FROM A FORGETTABLE GIRL-GAME WITH A FOOD-RELATED TITLE?

*A bunch of stupid onomatopoeia*

That reminds me, does anyone know why so many webnovels eventually turn into cookbooks? Is it a cry for help from the authors as they slowly starve to death in front of a computer screen in a dark room, or do they just run out of ideas to keep the plot moving and start copy/pasting recipes as filler?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Avulsion posted:

That reminds me, does anyone know why so many webnovels eventually turn into cookbooks? Is it a cry for help from the authors as they slowly starve to death in front of a computer screen in a dark room, or do they just run out of ideas to keep the plot moving and start copy/pasting recipes as filler?

The Kumoko cookbook period was amazing.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So does this mean that if you start posting a cookbook on the Internet, it'll eventually turn into a web novel?

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
I don't know about most women authors. But a bunch of male authors seem to use food to infantilize women and it bothers the living crap out of me.

Perfect example, Death March:

"Oh this crepe is soo sweet. And this is whipped cream? SO YUMMY!" *As she let out a girlish squeak while rubbing her cheeks girlishly.*

*Protagonist nods to himself* "Girls all love sweet things."

FriggenJ fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 1, 2016

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
At least Mercenary Cook gives equal treatment to everyone's reactions... though women are especially terrifying when it comes to their food. No mercy to anyone who gets in the way of Justice (food), even if it's your lover/commander!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Avulsion posted:

That reminds me, does anyone know why so many webnovels eventually turn into cookbooks?

Write what you know, I guess.

I'm generally pretty okay with it since I like cooking. It's especially nice when it's like OSO, where the author actually seems to be a decent chef.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
I guess learning alchemy is in essence cooking so the story has already progressed through that stage in ISSTH; it'd be a nice change of pace to see a Meng Hao murder cook arc appear though.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

There is another storyline that involves alchemy and plants. It's mostly about Meng Hao trying to monetize his skills yet again. The climax of that arc reminds me of the Patriarch Reliance reveal.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

darkgray posted:

It's actually an entire genre of its own, with over 1300 titles. Kenkyo is the most successful example, though.

I'm reading another LN of this genre now, Burikko, and I think I like this form of reincarnation story more than the "guy who becomes a badass magician with a harem in an RPG world" type. I look forward to seeing how the "actual" (game's) protagonist is dealt with in Kenkyo, though I imagine that won't be for a while since the protagonist is still in her first year of middle school.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I'm reading another LN of this genre now, Burikko, and I think I like this form of reincarnation story more than the "guy who becomes a badass magician with a harem in an RPG world" type. I look forward to seeing how the "actual" (game's) protagonist is dealt with in Kenkyo, though I imagine that won't be for a while since the protagonist is still in her first year of middle school.

Kenkyo is a manga reincarnation, no games involved. High school arc starts in ch74, and the series basically gets 10x better in an instant. Hard to believe, I know.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

darkgray posted:

Kenkyo is a manga reincarnation, no games involved. High school arc starts in ch74, and the series basically gets 10x better in an instant. Hard to believe, I know.

Oh, almost the same thing though; it's not like there's any difference between the plot of a otome game and reverse harem shoujo manga. I guess that explains why chapters 74-77 are translated but the pre-high school ones are only up to 49? I still want to wait until I get there the normal way, though. I actually don't mind all the dumb slice of life stuff.

One thing I'm curious about is that the older brother kinda weirds me out and comes off as sorta insincere. All the comments are like "aww the oniichan loves his sister" but I get a completely different vibe from him. In the chapters from his POV it doesn't really seem like he has that much affection for the MC (though there does seem to be some) and tries to avoid her because her spazzing out weirds him out. I'm wondering if he, rather than the father, somehow causes the fall of their family, since I seem to remember the MC having suspicions about that early on.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
You're overthinking it, everyone in that family is just secretly an idiot.

Ytlaya posted:

I'm reading another LN of this genre now, Burikko, and I think I like this form of reincarnation story more than the "guy who becomes a badass magician with a harem in an RPG world" type.

It's pretty much the difference between reading a shonen and a shojo story. It turns out I really like sappy romcoms too!

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Furious Lobster posted:

I guess learning alchemy is in essence cooking so the story has already progressed through that stage in ISSTH; it'd be a nice change of pace to see a Meng Hao murder cook arc appear though.

If not for the unfortunately few chapters translated so far I would recommend Chef of Fire and Ice whole heartedly. It's a, so far, fun as hell Xanxia about a magical cook who's burning for revenge(and cooking).

DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013
Sovereign of the three realms is pretty great so far, pretty funny imo

Wu dong qian kun however is super generic repetitive trash trash, i don't recommend it at all

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Has anyone read "Kamigoroshi no Eiyuu to Nanatsu no Seiyaku"? I've read a few chapters and so far it has that "realistic" fantasy world element that I like so much from Grimgar.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Ytlaya posted:

Has anyone read "Kamigoroshi no Eiyuu to Nanatsu no Seiyaku"? I've read a few chapters and so far it has that "realistic" fantasy world element that I like so much from Grimgar.

Eh, the writer has a big case of "tell don't show" about the protagonist being such a cool, sensitive, caring, and self-effacing guy. It's fun-ish but don't expect anything great.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Today in My Disciple Died Yet Again: :science: creates a paradigm shift, changing the water element into something that's stupidly OP.

Also, terrible puns with names.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FriggenJ posted:

Eh, the writer has a big case of "tell don't show" about the protagonist being such a cool, sensitive, caring, and self-effacing guy. It's fun-ish but don't expect anything great.

You're kinda right; I think he says "I just want to live in a village and collect herbs, I don't want to be a hero" like 5 times every single chapter, and I'm not even exaggerating much.

I'm reading the Rokka LN now (haven't seen the anime) and so far it's quite good. I just finished Volume 1, and it feels a lot more like an actual book instead of something an amateur wrote. Even though I thought it was fairly obvious who the 7th was (though not because I actually deduced the plan; it was more of a "it would be odd narrative-wise for it to be anyone else" thing) it was all executed pretty well and apparently good enough that at least half the people in the comments guessed wrong.

I'm assuming the anime had an anime-only ending, since just Volume 1 looks like it could make up close to ~12 episodes.

edit: Whoooa what (end of volume 1 spoilers), it looks like there's another imposter or something.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 4, 2016

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I'm assuming the anime had an anime-only ending, since just Volume 1 looks like it could make up close to ~12 episodes.

edit: Whoooa what (end of volume 1 spoilers), it looks like there's another imposter or something.

The anime ended just like the light novel, and everyone was mighty upset.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

darkgray posted:

The anime ended just like the light novel, and everyone was mighty upset.

How did they fit so much content into so few episodes? I feel like I've read at least 12 episodes worth and I'm only at chapter 2-1 of volume 2.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

How did they fit so much content into so few episodes? I feel like I've read at least 12 episodes worth and I'm only at chapter 2-1 of volume 2.

No, they only adapted the first volume. Left the anime viewers with a beautiful cliffhanger and sales that leave no hope for a second season. Ya~y.

Edit: Also, the usual pace for adapting light novels is 3 episodes per volume or so. Giving one volume 12 entire episodes is quite rare.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

darkgray posted:

No, they only adapted the first volume. Left the anime viewers with a beautiful cliffhanger and sales that leave no hope for a second season. Ya~y.

Edit: Also, the usual pace for adapting light novels is 3 episodes per volume or so. Giving one volume 12 entire episodes is quite rare.

That's a relief; I was worried that you were implying that the end of the LN was going to end up lovely. That's a terrible way to end the anime though, jesus.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I stopped reading My Disciple around the time she got and kept her pet post-death, mainly because I didn't feel like she was doing anything, just that things were being done to her. Does that change at all?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

jon joe posted:

I stopped reading My Disciple around the time she got and kept her pet post-death, mainly because I didn't feel like she was doing anything, just that things were being done to her. Does that change at all?

She's saved the world once now and is currently teaching a new disciple

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
.....yes. poo poo doesn't really get real until her third incarnation, and there's an almost sinister overtone to her fourth incarnation because of it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Boy, I sure can't wait for Meng Hao to get out of the Western Desert. It's already pretty well established how he's going to break through into the Nascent Soul stage, I want to see what he'll come up with for Spirit Severing. After that it's... Dao Seeking, and then Immortal Ascension? And then we probably have a bunch of weird poo poo after that that we haven't even begun to touch on. The numbers continue to be the best part of ISSTH, though. Reading an intense battle and then having it mentioned that one of them closed to within 3000 meters of the other was hilarious.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

The reason there's so many numbers in ISSTH being 3-something meters is because standard distance measurement is "fathom", which is about 3.3 Chinese meters, occasionally Chinese inches and miles are used. The units of time measurements are instant, breaths, stick of incense, 2-hours, and one time that I recall, a "bell" or "clock cycle", which I assume is around 1 hour.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Algid posted:

The reason there's so many numbers in ISSTH being 3-something meters is because standard distance measurement is "fathom", which is about 3.3 Chinese meters, occasionally Chinese inches and miles are used. The units of time measurements are instant, breaths, stick of incense, 2-hours, and one time that I recall, a "bell" or "clock cycle", which I assume is around 1 hour.

Other important measurements:

Lifetime
Ten-fold
Hundred-fold
Unimaginable
Mouthful (for blood measurement ONLY)

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

jon joe posted:

Mouthful (for blood measurement ONLY)
Other blood measurement units: drop, 10% increments in reference to a person or creature, and pond/lake/sea/ocean.

edit: For the time measurements, an instant is literally a ksana, or about 1/75 of a second, a breath seems to be a second, and a stick of incense seems to be about a quarter hour based on some references to breaths and 2-hours.

Algid fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 5, 2016

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Finished up to the current translation of My Disciple, yeah, it definitely got a lot better, and it was already mildly amusing before.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
It only gets better from here on out. Like I said, there are no barriers to her reincarnations: gender, specie, and everything else gets thrown in. Half the fun is reading about her adapting to her new form. The other half is the bitching she does about how she can't stand debugging all these issues that keeps cropping up. The third half would be all the inversions and lamp-shading of tropes that are made, like how the "MC" of each debugging session is always a (man)whore of some sort.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
How does a rock even cultivate? Is it an earth-vein?

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Nope, she's still lightning/universal vein every time a reincarnation rolls up her stat sheets. It may be shittier or better, depending on situation, but the creator and overseer for the world is giving her a boost in this situation.

As for how a rock cultivates: same way Su Wukong evolved from a rock I guess. Seriously, the guy literally jumped out of a rock, learned Tao mysticism, then beat up the underworld, Sea World, and heavens to become Great Sage Equaling the Heavens. He fits right in as an rear end in a top hat MC in a Xianxia story, though he gets his comeuppance pretty quick in the form of being imprisoned 500 years under a mountain.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
^This sounds interesting, where is the recommended translation for it?

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
My Disciple Died Yet Again.

There's a lot of slang and puns that's pretty hard to translate. The guys currently working on it is doing a good job translating it, but as usual there's things that get lost in translation.

jwang fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 5, 2016

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

jwang posted:

My Disciple Died Yet Again.

There's a lot of slang and puns that's pretty hard to translate. The guys currently working on it is doing a good job translating it, but as usual there's things that get lost in translation.

YOUR SISTER'S DESIRE!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just finished Volume 2 of Rokka and it continues to be really good. The mysteries so far have had reasonable conclusions to them, and the fight scenes are written very well and I have an easy time understanding what is going on during them. The characters are also quite interesting and for the most part aren't stereotypes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Why a light novel doesn't necessarily have to be bad just because the translation is: http://www.tcj.com/confessions-of-a-manga-translator/

• Locked thread