Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Endless Mike posted:

Ohhhhhh that guy.

fuckin' Knute flipping out on a dude

Shugojin posted:

Also he repeatedly hit on the hispanic girl that they wrote out of the comic and gunther was too much of a weenie to do anything about it.

Not true! Gunther ~rescued~ her by "accidentally" swinging his heavy nerd backpack into Leslie a couple of times. I think that may have actually been the inciting event of their relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm, only included because poor off-model Roger.

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Notbert

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

If I had a recorder shoulder-holster, I might try to learn how to play one. Haven't touched one singe elementary school. I imagine that's true for most people.

Mary Worth

That plane is roomy as gently caress.

Rex Morgan MD

"Are you as turned on as I am?"

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

I really don't like Web.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Chimeric posted:

TOBY

TOBY evil again? :ohdear:

I don't like how the robot in this comic is always thrusting its crotch out.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You know, it might be too early to judge, but I don't think TOBY is a good comic.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Evil Mastermind posted:

You know, it might be too early to judge, but I don't think TOBY is a good comic.

It's got that weird assumption of familiarity to it. Maybe it'll get better but right now yeah it's pretty bad. Was it good before they took eight years off?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Dewgy posted:

It's got that weird assumption of familiarity to it. Maybe it'll get better but right now yeah it's pretty bad. Was it good before they took eight years off?

I read it back when it was in its original run and ... eh. It's basically one joke: TOBY is melodramatically evil and doesn't understand humans, Morris has to deal with the fallout from TOBY's craziness. Kinda like Poncho and Chazz in Pooch Cafe, really.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 1, 2016

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

"White rulers of an african nation commit a couple little genocides and it's nag, nag, nag all the time."

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County gets back to work...in a manner of speaking.

Peanuts (March 4, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

The punchline: an angry and vindictive old bastard single-handedly killed off another school's attendance! Hilarity is presumed!

Crankshaft

Meanwhile, welcome to the Rip Haywire Shopping Channel.

Out Our Way (November 9-10, 1928)

Thimble Theater (September 18, 1929)

Well, he is a sailor.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Calvin's mom is totally a Prince Valiant reader.

Ripley's

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Seeing Dilbert drawn like this makes me think there's going to be a "ranch or cool ranch" moment coming up pretty soon.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (February 6, 1951)

Barnaby (July 14, 1942)

Nancy (March 23, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (December 4, 1928)

Gasoline Alley (January 2, 1923)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

These decisions are Black and White Comix.

Pooch Café

It wouldn't be so bad if he hadn't decided to come back in from the other side of the house.

Ballard Street

Pharrell Williams did one of those:

Lost Side of Suburbia

No, I'm not posting photos of kids with progeria.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (September 18, 1929)

Well, he is a sailor.

This is an actual good joke. What the gently caress.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Andorra posted:

I'd never read Moomin until these threads, so thanks for introducing it to me. Same to the people who post other good old comics like King Aroo and Gay and Her Gang.

If you enjoy Moomin, you should check out The anime, the recent film adaptation of Moomins on the Riviera and the novel The Rabbit Back Literature Society Which is this kind of twin peaks style mystery based around a woman who is clearly based on Tove.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think the weirdest thing about early popeye comix is Popeye having a full head of hair.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set knows safety is really more like fourth or fifth.

Working Daze forgets to tell a joke, have an actual point.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix has trust issues.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Woody Allen and Mia Farrow just never quit fighting.

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

I read this strip as a child and immediately tried this. I wasn't a very smart kid.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
And did you appreciate your functional sinuses afterwards?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Dick move, not calling the kid by the name he prefers. It's even a variation of his given name; it's not like he's asking to be called Bonecrusher or Adolf or something. If everybody's been doing this to him all his life, no wonder he grew up hating people.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Republican Vampire posted:

If you enjoy Moomin, you should check out The anime, the recent film adaptation of Moomins on the Riviera and the novel The Rabbit Back Literature Society Which is this kind of twin peaks style mystery based around a woman who is clearly based on Tove.

There were multiple anime based on "Moomin". The earliest one was from 1969. TMS Entertainment did the first 26 episodes, while Mushi Production took over for the remaining 39 (Mushi then made 52 more episodes a year or so later).

The TMS episodes are interesting because all the characters are assholes. Moomin in particular frequently got into fights with other characters and was generally a snide smartass. Also, technology such as cars were present (some of the characters were frequently seen driving), and there was at least one episode where we find out that bars exist, and some of the townsfolk were seen getting drunk there. All of this pissed off Tove Jansson, who says none of those things belong in her universe.

As a result, TMS was fired, and they retooled the show over at Mushi Production, which followed the tone more closely to the original.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Julet Esqu posted:

Dick move, not calling the kid by the name he prefers. It's even a variation of his given name; it's not like he's asking to be called Bonecrusher or Adolf or something. If everybody's been doing this to him all his life, no wonder he grew up hating people.

No, see, it's fine to keep disrespecting him because while we have seen him do literally nothing wrong we have been informed he is a Bad Person. That's the Luann way!

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Guess if They Are Married! This won't last - I can't find many of them.

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Gay and Her Gang (click for big)

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Life In Hell

This ends Life in Hell's run (you'll never see the end of this series, sorry.) I went three months further - it didn't reappear. To be fair, they had problems from the beginning and then pulled the strip during the Iraq War run. Thankfully, I have some scans from the Life in Hell books, and they're great. They are a bit older than the strips I've been posting. I hope these are OK. Almost all were run in the Los Angeles Reader.

f

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Slammy posted:

Outbusts of Everett True

Everett meets Brooke McEldowney's dad.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Slammy posted:

Outbusts of Everett True

Power mowers aren't even invented yet. :psyduck:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Please rename me to Adolf Bonecrusher

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Julet Esqu posted:

Everyone abbreviates everyone else's name all the time in this strip, too. Lu hangs out with Pru and Bern. They go out of their way to avoid it with that dude.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

This one always cracked me up, for the second panel more than anything else. The way he says it just really amuses me.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Everyone abbreviates everyone else's name all the time in this strip, too. Lu hangs out with Pru and Bern. They go out of their way to avoid it with that dude.

Oh man, you're right. That's pretty ridiculous.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

There is but one likable character in the bunch and that's Mr. Gray with his "totally called it" omniscience.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

VVVVV Nice! VVVVV

Darkest Auer fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 2, 2016

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (March 23, 1943)

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Mister Beeg posted:

There were multiple anime based on "Moomin". The earliest one was from 1969. TMS Entertainment did the first 26 episodes, while Mushi Production took over for the remaining 39 (Mushi then made 52 more episodes a year or so later).

The TMS episodes are interesting because all the characters are assholes. Moomin in particular frequently got into fights with other characters and was generally a snide smartass. Also, technology such as cars were present (some of the characters were frequently seen driving), and there was at least one episode where we find out that bars exist, and some of the townsfolk were seen getting drunk there. All of this pissed off Tove Jansson, who says none of those things belong in her universe.

As a result, TMS was fired, and they retooled the show over at Mushi Production, which followed the tone more closely to the original.

The looser adaptations totally don't count, and I'll be massively surprised if the new endemol cartoon isn't even further off-base.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I want to believe that Mr. Gray is pulling all the stings here. He decided Luann was distracting Quill and called in a favor to get him a spring break job that would lead to them breaking up. Meanwhile, Prudence begged him for a job, which he said he would, but she would owe him a favor. It's all coming together for Mr. Gray.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Pickles

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Wallace the Brave

TOBY

The Wild Man of YOLO fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Chimeric posted:

Wallace the Brave

Is it my imagination or is this strip's aesthetic aping Cul de Sac?

• Locked thread