Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

TheShadowAvatar posted:

I learned this in 3.0 and commented to people in my FC pretty much the same thing. I only have a Miner but even then its ridiculous how quickly you can cap out on your red scrips. poo poo doubling it would be a nice addition so you can get the gear faster. I consider myself slow because I cap out the day after the scrip reset.

Get your mining and gathering foils while you have downtime. You need 6 of each (I think) for each class.

7 foils now for min/bot due to the new off-hands. You could get foils for the accessories and belt too but they suck so don't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Tortolia posted:

DD still stinks but AV is no longer as bad as it was since gear downgrades to HQ quality now. It also gets you like 425K xp for a clear if the seedlings hatch so it makes clearing the final stretch to 50 reasonably fast.

What are the recommended collectable turnins for blue crafting scrips? With music rolls now in game I figure I should get the master 3 books.

How about red scrips on that note? I have full adept gear but no specializations picked yet.

The easiest blue scrip item is probably marron glace. The most efficient red scrip item is probably birch fishing rods. Regarding red scrip, though, don't pick your specialization based on that, since you can make them unspecialized easily enough.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Anyone from Scratching Post around? I started doing a search for each person, but this'll be easier.

Also, is there a minimum level to join a free company?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

No idea, and nope.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Kwyndig posted:

No idea, and nope.

Cool thanks.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Is it even possible to transfer a character to Excalibur? A friend of mine started up again and is on some backwater server. I was reading the world transfer guide and it had a line about "You cant transfer a character to a world with character creation restrictions".

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Talkc posted:

Is it even possible to transfer a character to Excalibur? A friend of mine started up again and is on some backwater server. I was reading the world transfer guide and it had a line about "You cant transfer a character to a world with character creation restrictions".

Adding to this; wasn't there some poo poo about moogle side quests too?

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

Thundarr posted:

7 foils now for min/bot due to the new off-hands. You could get foils for the accessories and belt too but they suck so don't do that.

They do? Do they suck as in they are equal or slightly less than the hq versions of stuff you could already get?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

TheShadowAvatar posted:

They do? Do they suck as in they are equal or slightly less than the hq versions of stuff you could already get?
As an example, the rings are 3 CP or 4 GP better than an NQ green crafted ring.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Talmonis posted:

Ninja Cons: A slew of entirely unused abilities from late Ninja, at least according to guides.

Those guides are wrong. There is a slew of abilities you don't use while raiding when everything is going perfectly, maybe. When soloing, pvping, running dungeons or doing anything with idiots you will end up using just about all of your abilities. There are maybe 4 abilities I don't use regularly and 2 of those I use all the time in pvp.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Talkc posted:

It is possible. If transfers were subject to the same restrictions as creation at one time, they're aren't now.

Volume posted:

Adding to this; wasn't there some poo poo about moogle side quests too?

What? Did you reply to the right post?

boz
Oct 16, 2005

DizzyBum posted:

DD and AV are both required for rank-up quests for all 3 grand companies.

WP mobs are just for the final GC hunting log, which is not a requirement for anything except an achievement and a minion.

Edit: Unless you mean "how to unlock AV" in which case, yeah, the quest to get that is not tied to GC quests.

There was a period of time when 2.0 hit that AV wasn't required, he may be remembering that.

Sekret
Dec 6, 2001
Curse you, Massive Genitals!
My gf and I just swapped to Excalibur and joined DGKK. It's quite a change coming from a FC with a dozen actives at peak.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Sekret posted:

My gf and I just swapped to Excalibur and joined DGKK. It's quite a change coming from a FC with a dozen actives at peak.

Welcome! We are running about 2x the active player count from a week or two ago.

And as far as I have ever seen the paid transfer restriction warning is more boilerplate CYA stuff than anything else; have never heard of folks being blocked from paid transfers outside of characters being less than 72 hours old.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Chairman posted:

What? Did you reply to the right post?

Sadly all account management now requires you to complete a find the moogle quest first.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
people were actually pvping tonight. the people who play wolves den are some of the weirdest cry-babiest fuckers i've ever experienced, including the healer who stopped healing me for the three or four matches i ended up with him afterwards because i asked that we focus the target that i holmgang

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!

Tortolia posted:

Welcome! We are running about 2x the active player count from a week or two ago.

And as far as I have ever seen the paid transfer restriction warning is more boilerplate CYA stuff than anything else; have never heard of folks being blocked from paid transfers outside of characters being less than 72 hours old.

goon games are the best games

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Aphrodite posted:

Machinist Pro:

Yeah, this is probably the most adorable thing in the game.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

TheShadowAvatar posted:

The red scrip accessories are worse than melded white accessories, let alone melded 170 accessories. Their main issue is that they just give CP/GP and you can't meld them for the other stats, and losing 4-6 (or more) craft/control/gather/perc per item for each of 5 slots, adds up a considerable amount.

Even if you just want straight CP/GP for some reason, you'll still get more of those by making a white accessory and straight melding CP/GP. The red scrip accessories are that abhorrently bad.

This is largely true for the red scrip belts as well, except instead of CP/GP it's control/perception, and it does at least slightly beat melded white accessories for that one stat in a vacuum. (Doesn't beat melded 170, of course, and doesn't let you meld the other two stats.)

The red scrip offhands, on the other hand, are quite decent, though you do miss out on the opportunity to get CP/GP in that slot. For comparable stats by melding a 170 offhand with tier 4 materia (since tier 5 crafting/gathering materia is still difficult/expensive enough to obtain that it doesn't deserve realistic consideration), you'd need to meld ~4 materia to a crafting offhand and ~5 materia to a gathering offhand. Not counting any CP/GP you may want.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
The red scrip offhands vs the crafted i170 offhands is the exact same stat and meld comparison as red scrip vs crafted mainhands. If it's worth making a *master's main, it's worth doing the off.

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

Vil posted:

The red scrip accessories are worse than melded white accessories, let alone melded 170 accessories. Their main issue is that they just give CP/GP and you can't meld them for the other stats, and losing 4-6 (or more) craft/control/gather/perc per item for each of 5 slots, adds up a considerable amount.

Even if you just want straight CP/GP for some reason, you'll still get more of those by making a white accessory and straight melding CP/GP. The red scrip accessories are that abhorrently bad.

This is largely true for the red scrip belts as well, except instead of CP/GP it's control/perception, and it does at least slightly beat melded white accessories for that one stat in a vacuum. (Doesn't beat melded 170, of course, and doesn't let you meld the other two stats.)

The red scrip offhands, on the other hand, are quite decent, though you do miss out on the opportunity to get CP/GP in that slot. For comparable stats by melding a 170 offhand with tier 4 materia (since tier 5 crafting/gathering materia is still difficult/expensive enough to obtain that it doesn't deserve realistic consideration), you'd need to meld ~4 materia to a crafting offhand and ~5 materia to a gathering offhand. Not counting any CP/GP you may want.

Forgive my continued stupidity but by melded white do you mean overmelded?

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

TheShadowAvatar posted:

No, just regular melded. And not even with IVs. They're that bad.

kafziel fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 1, 2016

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

TheShadowAvatar posted:

White is referring to item color/rarity. Generally white gear is low/mid level crafted gear, while level cap crafted gear and low/mid level dungeon drops are green, and level cap dungeon drops are blue.

In the case of crafter/gatherer endgame gear, "white" refers to the highest level stuff that's easyish to craft, "green/crafted/170" refers to the best craftable stuff, and "red scrip/180" refers to the stuff you get from red scrips (which cannot be melded).

Anyway, using crafting-stat rings as an example:

White, equip level 56, ilvl 110: Hallowed Chestnut Ring
- The easy craftable option
- Craft 0, caps at 7 with melds
- Control 0, caps at 6 with melds
- CP 21, caps at 24 with melds

Green, equip level 60, ilvl 170: Astral Birch Ring
- The bigger pita craftable option
- Craft 0, caps at 9 with melds
- Control 0, caps at 8 with melds
- CP 23, caps at 27 with melds

Green, equip level 60, ilvl 180: Handmaster's Ring
- The red scrip option I'm bitching about
- Craft 0, period
- Control 0, period
- CP 23, period

So with just a CP+3 materia, even the white ring would beat the red scrip ring, and by also adding some basic craft/control materia (even if not to cap) via overmelds, it would beat it in stats the red scrip ring can't even consider. The same applies, with slightly bigger numbers involved, with the 170 ring.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

What's more important: has anyone tried converting the new, unmeldable red scrip-bought accessories yet? They are convertable and one would hope they guaranteed materia V.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Week 2 of shunting otherwise wasted DoH XP to DoM.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Man I really love what they did with the story post Heavensward. Playing out the ramifications of what happened when the truth is revealed and how the citizens react is really fascinating, feels very real, and makes for some very compelling storytelling. Watching Ser Aymeric struggle with keeping a country together, and somehow moving forward towards finding peace is pretty riveting.

Also make sure you're walking around talking to even minor npcs in Isengard, some have new dialog reflecting on the post-Heavensward world.

And yes I did get to item lvl 180 and was able to play out the rest of the story, so far.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I really hope they add the ability to replay solo instances at some point, some of them have been really cool and I'd love to go through them as different jobs.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

theblackw0lf posted:

Man I really love what they did with the story post Heavensward. Playing out the ramifications of what happened when the truth is revealed and how the citizens react is really fascinating, feels very real, and makes for some very compelling storytelling. Watching Ser Aymeric struggle with keeping a country together, and somehow moving forward towards finding peace is pretty riveting.

Also make sure you're walking around talking to even minor npcs in Isengard, some have new dialog reflecting on the post-Heavensward world.

And yes I did get to item lvl 180 and was able to play out the rest of the story, so far.

If you like stuff like that, I recommend trying to find a video or images of Idyllshire from 3.0, one of my favorite FF14 gimmicks is that so far each time we've had a frontier town hub (Mor Dhona last time, though you wouldn't know it by how it looks right now) that updates in appearance with each patch, as more people move in and the place becomes more built out. Revenant's Toll in Mor Dhona is borderline unrecognizable from how it used to look and Idyllshire is already shaping up pretty drastically as well.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I would love to be able to visit an instanced area of each version of Mor Dhona as it was being built. It's fascinating to think that back at 2.0, it was just a hole in the ground and didn't even have its own dedicated music. Seeing it grow, and now seeing Idyllshire grow, is amazing.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

I'll be resubbing today. I assume I need to reapply to DGKK?

Edit: I haven't been on since 3.0.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

PhilippAchtel posted:

I'll be resubbing today. I assume I need to reapply to DGKK?

Edit: I haven't been on since 3.0.

I don't know that there have been any inactivity purges, so you might. You could also join PBC or TPT if you were dropped.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
This game has a bit of a limited combat system, but the developers do so much to make the most out of it. Like the Steps of Faith is a really cool boss. It's not innovative or anything, but it was fun to do more stuff than just mashing it down. The mechanics weren't annoying either, just there.

Also, I now understand why everyone told me it was dire to get HW and get exp as soon as I could. I am sorry.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SonicRulez posted:

This game has a bit of a limited combat system, but the developers do so much to make the most out of it. Like the Steps of Faith is a really cool boss. It's not innovative or anything, but it was fun to do more stuff than just mashing it down. The mechanics weren't annoying either, just there.

Also, I now understand why everyone told me it was dire to get HW and get exp as soon as I could. I am sorry.

A lot of the fights that came out in 3.2 have new and fun mechanics and a lot less emphasis on crazy DPS checks. There's a ton of fun to be had.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

All good, just means you may need to roulette and dungeon a bit harder than you might have had to otherwise. Plenty of us started the expansion at 50, after all, and we made it through (and that was before the HW FATE and dungeon XP boosts).

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yeah the combat itself isn't exactly mind-blowing but the boss mechanics are varied and interesting enough to make it a lot of fun.

I'm closing in on 50 myself now, is it really that important to get the expansion and not miss out on EXP? Am I gonna need to do a lot of grinding otherwise to get from 50 to 60?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Augus posted:

Yeah the combat itself isn't exactly mind-blowing but the boss mechanics are varied and interesting enough to make it a lot of fun.

I'm closing in on 50 myself now, is it really that important to get the expansion and not miss out on EXP? Am I gonna need to do a lot of grinding otherwise to get from 50 to 60?

Yeah go ahead and get HW.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 1, 2016

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I love failing 23 desynths in a row while my success chance is 56%. :shepface:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I was 52 before going into HW, and considering where I got 60 I don't think there's enough exp in the MSQ and sidequests of Heavensward to get you to 60 if you start at 50.0.

I didn't do many fates or unnecessary dungeons/trials though so if you do your roulettes as you go you'd probably make it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mordiceius posted:

I love failing 23 desynths in a row while my success chance is 56%. :shepface:

man failure is my name lately with rng as anyone standing outside the TPT house in mist lately can attest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
If you know you're going to keep playing, you'll eventually need to get the expansion to continue the main story. If you know you're going to get the expansion, you might as well get it ASAP so you don't let all the xp go to waste.
It's not necessary, but if you're starting the expansion at 50, you'll probably have to do a ton of sidequests before you can progress at different points of the story. On the other hand, if you take your time getting to Ishgard and unlock/run all the level 50 dungeons and extreme primals and raids, etc., you could end up like me and hit 60 before the end and waste all the experience from the main quest. :v:

• Locked thread