Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

LibbyM posted:

Level 5 foraging, it says "wood worth 50% more" and I'm unclear exactly what that means. Does it mean more money from selling my woods, or everytime I would pick up wood from a fallen tree I get 50% more wood?

Wood will be worth 1g more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

Wood will be worth 1g more.

That sounds pretty garbage competing against a chance for double harvest of foraged items.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

LibbyM posted:

That sounds pretty garbage...

Because it is.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

How does the fuckin slime hutch work? I've got a blue slime and a green slime in there, but they're not producing poo poo.

There are "male" (has the dongle on its head) and "female" slimes, but you have to be on screen for them to try and reproduce.

Beyond that, I think it's bugged since it seems like they're supposed to be leaving slime balls around or something and don't appear to be?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
What's the use of all the saps? I can only use so much torches!

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

What's the use of all the saps? I can only use so much torches!

Cheap fertilizer.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

ChogsEnhour posted:

Bought this last night. Should I go in blind? This is a big thread and might alleviate the woe of being in work for the next ten hours.

Honestly I'd recommend playing at least a little while without reading the thread, this is really a game where discovering things on your own and resisting the urge to minmax adds a lot to the experience.

That said, a couple of quick tips to get you started:

1.) build a chest for 50 wood as your very first thing and then beeline for the backpack, there is a ton of poo poo to collect and your starting inventory is laughably small even if half of it wasn't filled by tools.

2.) build a silo for hay before you build a chicken coop. It bugs me the game doesn't tell you this.

3.) Click the bait then right click on the fishing pole. I think that's been said but it trips a lot of people up. Note that you can't use bait on a bamboo pole and that the bamboo pole sucks in general.

4.) Months are 28 days long and all your crops will loving die when the season changes, don't put all your money into seeds near the end of spring, don't be dumb like me. :(

5.) Don't overdo it on planting crops before you get quality sprinklers, there are other ways to make money and all the watering by hand is extremely tedious and sucks away your energy.

6.) Get the bridge on the beach repaired ASAP.

Really though it's a super chill game and there's no actual way to lose. I lost all my money at the end of Spring 1 and kept right on going, no harm done. The best way to play is just to derp around exploring and learning things at your own pace.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Thanks for the tips. Decided to not read the thread and just explore at my leisure.

I did spend all of my money on beer as soon as I arrived, so I'm already fishing like crazy to get a bit of scratch.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Can you get an even bigger fridge in this game? :v: My endgame plan is to grow and stockpile fruits and vegetables so I can cook everything. All the time. Then I can pretend to open a restaurant :downs:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
any way to speak to the wizard and Linus during Halloween?

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 1, 2016

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I managed to win the Grange display in my first season with 90 points. Here's a picture of what I submitted in case you want to copy it / have one that won with different ingredients so that we can figure out how exactly it is scored.

Potential spoilers, I guess, if you want to figure out how to do it yourself.

Gold Pufferfish (fish - rare)
Gold Quartz (mineral)
Gold Mushroom (forage)
Gold Sweet Pea (forage)
Gold Hazelnut (forage)
Gold Pepper (vegetable)
Gold Eggplant (vegetable)
Gold Grapes (fruit)
Maple Syrup (artisan goods) -- I think this could be improved if it was the gold-star poppy honey?

Also, note that the event doesn't end until you walk off the map; you can get your items back from the display table and you'll get silver stars as prize that you can spend at the fair booth.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 1, 2016

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

JerikTelorian posted:

I managed to win the Grange display in my first season with 90 points. Here's a picture of what I submitted in case you want to copy it / have one that won with different ingredients so that we can figure out how exactly it is scored.

Potential spoilers, I guess, if you want to figure out how to do it yourself.

Gold Pufferfish (fish - rare)
Gold Quartz (mineral)
Gold Mushroom (forage)
Gold Sweet Pea (forage)
Gold Hazelnut (forage)
Gold Pepper (vegetable)
Gold Eggplant (vegetable)
Gold Grapes (fruit)
Maple Syrup (artisan goods) -- I think this could be improved if it was the gold-star poppy honey?

Also, note that the event doesn't end until you walk off the map; you can get your items back from the display table and you'll get silver stars as prize that you can spend at the fair booth.

I can't remember what I put, just that it was a little of everything (artisan goods, a large egg, gold star fruit + veg + fish + foraged item, a diamond, a sashimi I cooked) and I won with a 95 easily. :shrug:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, I got 98 with some random golds/artisan products and a diamond. I've got a feeling value goes a long way, so I think a Diamond is pretty useful.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I put all gold and silver tier items in and won after already grinding the fishing game for the rarecrow. And then left all my stuff on the table :negative:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
So.... Uh... Did anyone else have a meteor crash into the side of their house?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Might wanna put that in spoilers.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Is there any way to change your Favorite Thing short of resetting? Even re-writing it in the save somehow?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I'd say the only essentials for beginners is to make sure you have enough cash on hand for the first yr1 spring event so you can purchase strawberry packets. Once you get the seed incubator you can multiple them in preparation for next spring.
Your second spring can be all strawberries which last all season and sell for boatloads of money.

(This is my only regret so far, should have saved more.)

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I haven't done any town event things at all because gently caress off I just want to buy some seeds and you are closed all day to dance with flowers or whatever

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

Might wanna put that in spoilers.

It honestly looks more like a bug than a feature.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

nutranurse posted:

It honestly looks more like a bug than a feature.

Oh okay that's hilarious. Sorry.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

Oh okay that's hilarious. Sorry.

When I first heard the cutscene I thought a hurricane ripped through or something and destroyed my crops, ala HM. Nope. Just a meteor crashing into my house.

Does anyone know what kind of pick breaks it?

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I don't have animals yet and I have to pick between Tiller or Rancher. Can anyone tell me how much eggs/milk etc sell for so I can make an informed decision?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

nutranurse posted:

When I first heard the cutscene I thought a hurricane ripped through or something and destroyed my crops, ala HM. Nope. Just a meteor crashing into my house.

Does anyone know what kind of pick breaks it?

gold, if I remember right. It dropped 15 or so Iridium ore for me.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

LibbyM posted:

I don't have animals yet and I have to pick between Tiller or Rancher. Can anyone tell me how much eggs/milk etc sell for so I can make an informed decision?

Eggs and milk don't sell for too much, but Mayonesse and Cheese does.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

+Luck?

Also, the desert dungeon is a huge step up in difficulty from the mine, but at least I'm getting like 15-20 Omni geodes each run.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Fat Samurai posted:

I've read somewhere that you get scored after two years of gametime. It doesn't end the game or anything, but there is that.

On this subject, what's with the shrine in your backyard saying your undead zombie grandpa is going to return in three years? This question is rhetorical, btw, I don't really want to know.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

AG3 posted:

gold, if I remember right. It dropped 15 or so Iridium ore for me.

You bastard, I only got 6!

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

StrangeAeon posted:

Is there any way to change your Favorite Thing short of resetting? Even re-writing it in the save somehow?

Yeah, you can edit the save file. Your save file is stored in %APPDATA%\StardewValley\Saves\[CharacterName]_Numbers

Just go in there and edit the NAME_numbers file with notepad++ or something, search for "favoriteThing" and you can edit it. Save and you should be good.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Thor-Stryker posted:

I'd say the only essentials for beginners is to make sure you have enough cash on hand for the first yr1 spring event so you can purchase strawberry packets. Once you get the seed incubator you can multiple them in preparation for next spring.
Your second spring can be all strawberries which last all season and sell for boatloads of money.

(This is my only regret so far, should have saved more.)

How do I get the seed incubator? I'm in spring year 2 already and no sign of it.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Demiurge4 posted:

You bastard, I only got 6!

It could have been that too, I honestly don't remember. It was probably 6 since I doubt it is random.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This game really assumes you've played Harvest Moon. Since I haven't, other than an hour of the iOS one recently, I wonder what I'm going to screw up.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

This game really assumes you've played Harvest Moon. Since I haven't, other than an hour of the iOS one recently, I wonder what I'm going to screw up.

You can't really screw up, at least permanently. The biggest advice I have is to build the silo on your farm early and to cut back but not completely chop the grass. You'll want hay for winter since chickens are a loss if you have to buy it from Marnie.

Also, if you can, save some of the foraged plants from each season and make seed packs from them. That way you can plant a set of them at the beginning of each season and get more foraged bits for gifts and food. A packet of ten seeds is made from one of each foraged plant, so it's a really good deal.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 1, 2016

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I didn't get that impression at all. Then again, I did watch someone stream it a bit first so I knew the basic gameplay loop, the main thing I can see catching people is if they didn't know basic stuff like 'the crops have to be watered every day' and kill all their starting money, but even that's recoverable.

One thing that would help is if the basic farming tutorial book in the library was a bit more visible - sure it has a big bouncing arrow over it but you can't even SEE it and the first time I went i tried clicking the wrong spot and didn't see it until later when I dug up more books.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/413150/announcements/detail/842542429551906478

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'm not really sure how multiplayer would even work. It doesn't seem like a game that'd benefit much from it beyond dungeon crawling.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
How can I find more Rainbow shells? I know I found one randomly on the beach during the summer, but I haven't seen any since then.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Indecisive posted:

I didn't get that impression at all. Then again, I did watch someone stream it a bit first so I knew the basic gameplay loop, the main thing I can see catching people is if they didn't know basic stuff like 'the crops have to be watered every day' and kill all their starting money, but even that's recoverable.

Yeah, I didn't know stuff like that. I still don't know how to give gifts, it never tells you where the crafting menu is, that sort of thing. I had to guess a bunch about the fishing minigame (I'm still not sure what the initial cast meter does.) It never even explains energy, or that you have to sleep at night.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Yo is this like the good HM games (like BTN) where tie stops when you're in a building, or like the bad ones where it runs constantly?
I really liked old HM games but when I'm playing a game like this I just wanna chill sometimes and not always be on the clock, so going down the mines was a cool way to relax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Indecisive posted:

One thing that would help is if the basic farming tutorial book in the library was a bit more visible - sure it has a big bouncing arrow over it but you can't even SEE it and the first time I went i tried clicking the wrong spot and didn't see it until later when I dug up more books.

Uh, every time I click that spot it says "there's a book missing" or something like that.