Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Ometeotl posted:

Wait, how is that a Bethesda AND Ubisoft game?

Ubisoft did/published a lot of PC ports for other companies, like Devil May Cry 3, Resident Evil 4, and Onimusha 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Ubisoft did a lot of PC ports for other companies, like Devil May Cry 3, Resident Evil 4, and Onimusha 3.

Technically false for RE4, RE4's PC port was done by a Japanese company named Sourcenext and published by Ubisoft.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lady Naga posted:

Technically false for RE4, RE4's PC port was done by a Japanese company named Sourcenext and published by Ubisoft.

All three of those games were part of that. Sourcenext also did a port of Phoenix Wright 1 (JP) in original GBA resolution, which works about as well as you'd expect.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

kirbysuperstar posted:

All three of those games were part of that. Sourcenext also did a port of Phoenix Wright 1 (JP) in original GBA resolution, which works about as well as you'd expect.

I assumed but I wasn't sure.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

you were warned posted:

Bad Master System box art is endless.

I definitely want to play this game about futuristic microwaves.

Some Master System games also came on cards. Look at their clever solution for showing the difference!!!

Well they won't ever be accused of false advertising.

I heard somewhere that the reason the original NES game boxes were just screenshots was because people were skeptical after years of misleading boxes so Nintendo decided to play it safe and never be accused of it.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

One of my favorite internet memories is people bitching that they had to pay for Portal to get Episode 2 and TF2.

The correct way to bitch would be about having to pay for episode 2 to get two vastly better games.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

IDK if it's bad but there is a LOT going on here and it's 90's AF.

Please don't hotlink -- the mods

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 29, 2016

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Broguts posted:

This one is...Better?

Despite the woman's ridiculous proportions, it's still hard to judge who has the bigger boobs.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Otisburg posted:

hotlinked

Can't post Treasure Master without showing The Strut. It's against the law or something:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 29, 2016

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

AlphaKretin posted:

At first glance I thought the green thing on the rightmost one was a grenade. :stare:

Can't say for sure but is probably is, considering the game is a platformer where you're a little kid with a gun going through cutesy fantasy worlds.

See for yourself: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/teddyboy/teddyboy.htm

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

you were warned posted:

On the other hand, the Japanese releases became anime as gently caress, for the Super Famicom

(Does he have a ghost? Who is the evil-looking scantily clad woman? I never got very far in Prince of Persia.)

That ghost is the Mirror Prince (who appears after you jump through a giant mirror, appropriately enough), while the scantily-clad dame (as well as the giant muscle dude on the right) is one of the bosses in the SNES version of Prince of Persia. It's a surprisingly accurate piece of box art as far as "foreign game box art" goes. He even remembered the mouse!

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

AnotherGamer posted:

Can't say for sure but is probably is, considering the game is a platformer where you're a little kid with a gun going through cutesy fantasy worlds.

See for yourself: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/teddyboy/teddyboy.htm

Best as I can recall it was a bug of some sort, though it's hard to remember much from that far back.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The intro for the US version of SNES PoP cuts out the bit where the prince gets chained up while guys whack him with sticks

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Otisburg posted:

plz don't hotlink

e: actually this guy is even more 90s

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 29, 2016

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i'm the smug jay leno chin

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Otisburg posted:

Y'all really need to stop hotlinking and start using imgur or attaching the images. In fact it would be cool if those of you who have been hotlinking would go back and fix your posts.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Does bad commercial art count

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEu8wDAQuDk

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

The idea of advertising the number of "screens" in your game is really bizzare sounding now.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Vermain posted:

That ghost is the Mirror Prince (who appears after you jump through a giant mirror, appropriately enough), while the scantily-clad dame (as well as the giant muscle dude on the right) is one of the bosses in the SNES version of Prince of Persia. It's a surprisingly accurate piece of box art as far as "foreign game box art" goes. He even remembered the mouse!

Ah, gotcha! I've never played that one, clearly.

Now, get ready, I'm about to rock your FACE off

RAD

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Why yes, I am.

Is this what Wily looked like before his hair grayed?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

"No dad! This is where I draw the line!"

"I created you! Now gently caress that blob!"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The Taint Reaper posted:

Their expressions are as funny as their clothes.

Just in general, what is it with taking a simple and clean Japanese cover and replacing it with stupid garish poo poo thrown together by amateurs? I've seen it so many times. Do they not have the rights to use the original cover art or something?

Edit: I'm not saying the Japanese art is particularly special in this case (the first game's was much more striking) but simple and mediocre is a lot better than loud and obnoxious.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 1, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

loud and obnoxious is how we advertise things in the us

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

lets hang out posted:

loud and obnoxious is how we advertise things in the us
You must not have seen many Japanese advertisements, or Japanese TV in general. American TV is quite reserved in comparison.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Samurai Sanders posted:

You must not have seen many Japanese advertisements, or Japanese TV in general. American TV is quite reserved in comparison.

Not to get off the topic of bad box art, but here's a bad/amazing commercial to bolster your point, so it's sort of related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mp36fk_PhM

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Suspicious Cook posted:

Not to get off the topic of bad box art, but here's a bad/amazing commercial to bolster your point, so it's sort of related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mp36fk_PhM

God Hand is one of the few times where I feel like the western cover was a better representation of the game than the original.

Or at least it would have been until they toned it down by removing the fist going through the dude's head for the final cover:

Sleeveless fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 1, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'd say both of those covers are completely decent.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Comix Zone fuckin' ruled though

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Can this thread also include games that totally misrepresent themselves? Remember all of those awesome FMV movies that were used to sell games up until like the middle of the PS3 era where the games looked good enough to sell themselves?

I always think of Onumusha 3 which had an awesome hype building FMV trailer which had nothing to do with the game where Japanese demons attack France somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__gqkaqhtl8

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Onimusha 3 has demons attacking France though?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Yes, but the trailer does not.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

God Hand is one of the few times where I feel like the western cover was a better representation of the game than the original.

But this owns? :confused:

I guess because it reminds me a lot of One Punch Man.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The three-skull ghost in the bottom right is a minor random encounter. That's the only part of this cover that is actually in the game.

The main base is a rocky spire in the water, but the design is entirely different. At least that's sort of right, unlike shirtless Bruce Campbell Archer there.

I think that the two women in the cover are supposed to be Leknaat and Windy but I have no idea.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Sexy Carrot

Fantastic dead doll faces.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 1, 2016

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

Trying to remember some of the SMS games I had back in the day:

Kid me loved this cover:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
TransBot is still ahead of its time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nasgate posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eblFQppJfyg

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Nasgate posted:

A pioneer in the struggle for trans rights.

Because you posted it underneath the Panic Restaurant box art, I thought that woman on The Krion Conquest box is a chef at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Because you posted it underneath the Panic Restaurant box art, I thought that woman on The Krion Conquest box is a chef at first.

Nah, she's a stormtrooper for ol' Darth back there

• Locked thread