Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
crossposting from yospos:

CrazyLittle posted:

this is me playing pass the katana on a train

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT25DTRSgHk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

this game is really cool but i kinda don't dig the aesthetic/'story'. it feels a little too... gimmicky? idk, the flashing text always distracts me and the menus are kind of a pain to figure out at first. it mostly distracts from what's just a cool game. it doesn't really need anything more than that.
That's why it is only two hours long and the real game opens after it ends and you don't have to think about it too much and it doesn't drag on for too long.

AlphaKretin posted:

Not having played it yet, everything in the gameplay videos looks super rad and every slight hint that there's anything else at all to the game makes it less and less.
There isn't anything more to the game besides a brief introduction story that fucks with you a bit.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.

CrazyLittle posted:

crossposting from yospos:

That's actually sick. Here's my Katana Train. Unfortunately the shotgunner friendly-fired the conductor so it's only 2/3rds good. I can do the full thing but I'm trying to make it look as cool as possible by slaloming between the shotguns, cutting bullets, ect.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Endorph posted:

this game is really cool but i kinda don't dig the aesthetic/'story'. it feels a little too... gimmicky? idk, the flashing text always distracts me and the menus are kind of a pain to figure out at first. it mostly distracts from what's just a cool game. it doesn't really need anything more than that.
It's a flashy and dumb motif, but I think that's pretty appropriate for a game where you stylishly murder people as fast as possible in constant variable bullet time. Everything about it is ridiculous anyway so why not just compound the ridiculousness?

Honestly the Challenges and Endless modes could probably have been the whole game and it would have still accomplished enough. The rest of the game just seems like excess.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CrashCat posted:

It's a flashy and dumb motif, but I think that's pretty appropriate for a game where you stylishly murder people as fast as possible in constant variable bullet time. Everything about it is ridiculous anyway so why not just compound the ridiculousness?

Honestly the Challenges and Endless modes could probably have been the whole game and it would have still accomplished enough. The rest of the game just seems like excess.

A whee bit, but it actually serves a really important component to the game, which is sort of a meta context you mostly see in titles from Valve like Portal, which is it gives people something to talk about and a sort of code phrase to reference that makes other people curious want to find out themselves what is actually going on.

"The cake is a lie" seemed like a dumb meme, but in reality it helped Portal reach an otherwise disinterested audience through sheer word of mouth and a feeling of not wanting to feel left out. For Super hot, it's editing your message in Skype to read SUPER. HOT. and describing the game as the most innovative shooter I've played in years even if the context is all wrong.

While endless and challenges are really the meat and grit of the game, it will not do nearly as well if it was without the campaign to have everyone in on a "joke". It's incredibly insidious, but it works. Just you see.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

GOT IT TO WORK! The steam version came with a patch that fixed my problem.

Interesting that it now takes three unarmed melee attack to take a guy out. IIRC the beta only required two.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Someone on Reddit used their One Question to ask the game director about a level editor:

quote:

We just had an internal discussion about it today. I'd love to have some simple in-game editor, later a full-user-level-support. As we see it now, a necessarry step would be some kind of procedural level generator for endless replayability. I hope it can work, there are a lot of obstacles to overcome, but I know the result would be mind-blowing. We hope we will be good enough to deliver.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

The Kins posted:

Someone on Reddit used their One Question to ask the game director about a level editor:

quote:

We hope we will be good enough to deliver.

I don't know why but that humble demeanor is precious as heck. :3:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I would just love to see more manuvers like slides, wallruns, flying kicks etc and fluff things like the ability to spin your gun around in your hand. This game makes it so easy to do badass things with even your limited range of motion, I can only imagine how cool replays would look if you threw in some really ostentatious poo poo.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I like how it took the authors about three 10-second long levels to realize the only challenge they can provide is to keep spawning dudes behind your back.

[edit] Let me show you the most innovative game in years instead.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 1, 2016

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Remember that level where you start off about to jump on three guys with a katana? I dare anyone to beat my hotswitch time.

Sure thing :c00lbert:

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Ah ha ha, yes! This was what I was hoping to see! I bet if we use a simultaneous sword throw and goomba stomp kill to open up on the three below, then transition hotswitch to the upstairs gunman with a thrown rifle on the way, we can shave off another tenth of a second!

edit: Actually, no, there's no gain in doing the sword throw, that would only add more time killing the third guy. You may have found the shortest route!

RiotGearEpsilon fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 1, 2016

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Hey thanks, glad you like.

The only way I could see it being SLIGHTLY faster is if I get all 4 up there in a single rifle burst

That said, please enjoy (and share) this other replay I'm proud of.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Morter posted:

Hey thanks, glad you like.

The only way I could see it being SLIGHTLY faster is if I get all 4 up there in a single rifle burst

Haha wow, chucking the pistol over the train and catching it before it lands is some serious action movie poo poo. Well done.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Is there a challenge mode where hotswitching doesn't kill your old avatar?

It took me a while to even notice that I didn't have to kill it, since I assumed it did not and took precautions by only swapping when bullets were in my face.

PantsBandit posted:

Haha wow, chucking the pistol over the train and catching it before it lands is some serious action movie poo poo. Well done.

I'm very fond of chucking a katana at one guy, then swapping into the dude next to him as it traverses the first's insides. If a third is nearby, it's easily a fast triple kill.

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 1, 2016

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Morter posted:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I love every video in this thread.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

I got a katana Train that i'm satisfied with. I also did a Corridor where I tried to go as straight as possible which was pretty anime.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
What's the trick to cutting bullets? I tried to do it briefly but the fact that time unpauses when you swing made it really tricky to time.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

When you have a melee weapon equipped, enemies will have a pattern overlaid on them to show you're in range. If you target bullets, they'll have the same pattern on them when you can cut them. If they're too high or low you won't get the pattern, however.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Well done. Could never take on a rifleman head on like that.

Also, some highlights from a fullstop level.

Ada posted:

When you have a melee weapon equipped, enemies will have a pattern overlaid on them to show you're in range. If you target bullets, they'll have the same pattern on them when you can cut them. If they're too high or low you won't get the pattern, however.

I managed to cut down some rounds even without getting the pattern, you just have to know that they're close enough to cut.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Yeah you get the feel for it eventually. The bullet only gets the pattern like halfway into your range.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Zomborgon posted:

I'm very fond of chucking a katana at one guy, then swapping into the dude next to him as it traverses the first's insides. If a third is nearby, it's easily a fast triple kill.

Hey me too.

Bonus rifle dance. 2013 is the best challenge mode except for ghost and instant kill throws and maybe punching only. But one-punch kills feel too strong sometimes.

Irony.or.Death fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 1, 2016

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Here's some dual katana throwing fun in the oldboy corridor https://killstagram.com/s/EnviousWhichFandangoSaola

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Some of these challenges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpCWfezc6zE

I may not have the patience for this.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

A good trick to learn for fullstop/noreset is that your character is almost completely (if not literally) flat, so if you turn to be parallel with the bullet you can dodge a lot of poo poo.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
SUPERHOT: Clean your monitor, you pig.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So early in the game my bread and butter is to melee/stun an enemy, grab his gun, and shoot him with it right?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

SUPERHOT

SUPERHOT

superhot

sup...

:shepicide:

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Ada posted:

A good trick to learn for fullstop/noreset is that your character is almost completely (if not literally) flat, so if you turn to be parallel with the bullet you can dodge a lot of poo poo.

I really appreciate that this game is basically https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ0OUq_kDh8

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I really enjoyed the game, but it makes a lot of little tiny design decisions that annoy the gently caress out of me. There's no way to pause, unless you're on full-stop mode, so getting a phone call in the middle of the mission means you're hosed. The worst thing is that for some reason, the game doesn't save your progress when you beat a level, so if you accidentally hit R, or even quit out on the level after, you have to do the level you beat all over again. I dunno if it's a glitch, but if not it's a real lovely move, or a super lovely gently caress-up. The big text is pretty annoying, I feel like they could have done that better while maintaining the hypnosis subplot or whatever, but whenever it comes up I'm just like "oh gently caress off, I'm trying to play a loving game here" and it just throws me off for a bit, like those lovely PS4 notifications which cover 1/4 of your screen, or even 90% of it if you're playing something split-screen.

Additionally there have been dozens of times where the bullet has gone completely screen left, but it's still hits me, I don't know if the player hitboxes are just way too big or it's because there's no indication if a bullet is going to hit you or not. The game would be so much closer if you could have more close calls with bullets whizzing past your head, but by making it impossible to do that, you avoid that as a player.

Other than those problems, the core game is pretty drat good. I don't like how fast things can move when you look around, I feel like the game would be loads more fun if it was just designed around full-stop mode. The story was a bit eh, but it fit the game really well, though the unskippable chatlogs were almost as bad as homestuck sometimes, I just cringe reading fake chat logs and I was just waiting for them to be over as quick as possible. It was cool for them to take away the esc key for a little bit, but totally poo poo for them to do it for the time they did, I need that escape key motherfucker, your game isn't the most important thing in my life.

The biggest problem I have is the saving, did that happen with anyone else?

Ada posted:

This would've been so much more useful to learn early on, I died so many times assuming my head was round like an actual loving human. Seems like it would've been pretty easy to teach during a level, just have a segment where you start off with the bullet inches from your face and you have to turn to avoid it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Happens to me all the time. It's generally forcing me to do all of the challenge modes in 1-2 runs, which I rarely do.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Morter posted:

Happens to me all the time. It's generally forcing me to do all of the challenge modes in 1-2 runs, which I rarely do.

In that case they should have probably spent less time on all that stupid fake OS bullshit with the games that keep replaying the audio over itself and spent more time actually fixing the fuckin' game yo.

Still fun overall, but they've had three years to sort that basic poo poo out.

Also is there anyway to hack the loving "SUPER HOT" covering the screen when you beat a level? I want to see the cool replay without text covering literally the entire screen. I guess you just have to edit the replay every time you beat a level?

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 2, 2016

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Some replay highlights:

That Matrix dodge!

Some cheating rear end red guy literally shrugging off a gun IN THROWING MODE! :argh:

Me bullying a red guy

Anyone up for darts?

Megaspel posted:

Also is there anyway to hack the loving "SUPER HOT" covering the screen when you beat a level? I want to see the cool replay without text covering literally the entire screen. I guess you just have to edit the replay every time you beat a level?

Yes, just tap F5 and it will stop the superhot until you quit

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

sirtommygunn posted:

I really appreciate that this game is basically https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ0OUq_kDh8
I think its more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3THL_7Z29Y&t=29s with the precision of the execution and the way that you stun enemies so you can kill someone else and come back to them later.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Ugh, I can't stop topping myself in the ballroom related times. (Fullstop)

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

eSporks posted:

I think its more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3THL_7Z29Y&t=29s with the precision of the execution and the way that you stun enemies so you can kill someone else and come back to them later.

Goddamnit. Now I have to watch John Wick again.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The katana physics can be really wonky.
https://killstagram.com/s/ResponsibleCapitalRajahUromastyx

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Man way to show me up before I even got there. I thought starting with the guy on the left was slowing it down so I did this, but picking up the assault rifle still beats sword tossing. Poor sword tossing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Is anyone giving single segment RT runs a shot? I have always been into watching speedruns but I never enjoyed a game enough to bury myself in it. I think this might finally be the game I pick up and run.

• Locked thread