Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Yeah the Pokemon music is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpkeAQG6kQw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Average Bear posted:

What a stupidly toned post. Lol you own those underfunded and underworked developers working on a huge game on weak as poo poo hardware, nerd

I think there is a reason why people don't post like that anymore. Or why Broken Loose hasn't posted in here in ages

But yeah, a lot of those bugs make more sense to me now (like half of them are just not checking for over/underflows or loving up a bit shift), though a few are still a bit wtf

Also, I still prefer the gen 1 hyperbeam, and I don't think it would be nearly as unbalanced as it was back then.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 1, 2016

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

How Ingratiating! posted:

Skipped Brock, taught my Rattata the Water Gun TM from Mt. Moon, went back and got my Boulder Badge. Honest gameplay values! :haw:

Holy moly.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I am saddened. One of these days I need to get a second SD card for my 3DS so I can redownload X. Back when I first got it, I did a download because... I dunno, I wasn't planning ahead or something. Problem is, it's so goddamn huge I have to clear almost everything else off my current SD card for it to fit. And there's poo poo there that I don't wanna get rid of. Like, you know, Pokemon Bank. Which I USE when playing Pokemon. Frequently.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
It's incredibly dishonorable and more importantly lame to use save states imho

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

BlazetheInferno posted:

I am saddened. One of these days I need to get a second SD card for my 3DS so I can redownload X. Back when I first got it, I did a download because... I dunno, I wasn't planning ahead or something. Problem is, it's so goddamn huge I have to clear almost everything else off my current SD card for it to fit. And there's poo poo there that I don't wanna get rid of. Like, you know, Pokemon Bank. Which I USE when playing Pokemon. Frequently.

Why not buy another larger sd card. It's like ten bucks and it takes ten minutes to move everything over.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

that ivy guy posted:

me? i think that's good, promoting honest game play values. thanks, nintendo!

gsc are gonna come out and with them, shiny pokemon, and then you'll be singing a different tune!

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Looper posted:

gsc are gonna come out and with them, shiny pokemon, and then you'll be singing a different tune!

If they made gsc intact like they did these games, get ready for insta-shinies of the original 151. There's a glitch with mimic and transform that let you copy DVs.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Why don't we just print more shiny pokemon to fix the economy?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

TheKingOfDastards posted:

That's why you go to the area of the Safari Zone with the Pokemon you want, fly to Cinnabar Island or surf south to Seafoam, then swim up and down the coastline. Same pokemon, but nothing runs away.

I think. I haven't gotten far enough in the VC releases to do it again yet and it's been a while since I did it in the originals.

I ended up doing this and catching like five more Tauros and they all sucked too.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

So I just got my Pokemon New 3DS in the mail. I'm going to trade between Yellow on the Black 3DS and Red/Blue on thePokemon 3DS to get the exclusive Pokemon. If I was to do a system transfer will I be able to move the Red, Blue, and it's saves from one SD card to other and have them still work or am I going to have to redownload and start Red/Blue over?

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Rudoku posted:

If they made gsc intact like they did these games, get ready for insta-shinies of the original 151. There's a glitch with mimic and transform that let you copy DVs.

I did not know that. However, it is somewhat easy to get Shiny Pokemon from breeding in Gold/Silver without cheating.

In Gold/Silver shiny was determined by IVs. I forget the math but if you breed with a good parent the odds of getting a shiny per egg is 1 in 64 if memory serves.

The trick is to have the correct IV for the defense stat on the proper parent because defense stat is always copied from one of the parents to child in Gold/Silver breeding.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

quote:

If a Pokemon's Speed, Defense, and Special DVs are all 10, and its Attack DV is 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14 or 15, it will be Shiny. So in this way a Shiny Pokemon's HP DV can only be either 0, or 8. And due to DVs being passed down via Breeding, the chance of the offspring being shiny is 1/64. In this way, some specific combinations of Pokemon cannot be Shiny, since gender is determined using the Attack IV, so female Pokemon of a species that have a gender ratio of seven males to one female, can never be shiny, due to females being determined using the lower half of the DV range.

It's convenient timing with everyone wanting to know this info just after I've found it out. The first two gens of Pokemon are so dumb and so broken and so amazing.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

dang .... this rules

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Crosspeice posted:

It's convenient timing with everyone wanting to know this info just after I've found it out. The first two gens of Pokemon are so dumb and so broken and so amazing.

The Gen2 gender/shininess fuckery is a result of maintaining backwards compatibility with Gen 1. It's not so much "broken" as it is a hacky way of doing something that data was never intended for. They couldn't just add new code to the pokemon's data block to determine that info without breaking Gen 1 compatibility, so they based it off the one part of that data that serves to make each mon unique.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Zonekeeper posted:

The Gen2 gender/shininess fuckery is a result of maintaining backwards compatibility with Gen 1. It's not so much "broken" as it is a hacky way of doing something that data was never intended for. They couldn't just add new code to the pokemon's data block to determine that info without breaking Gen 1 compatibility, so they based it off the one part of that data that serves to make each mon unique.

I some people are still angry about it, but it's really for the better that Game Freak overhauled the system in Gen 3.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh yeah, it's definitely impressive how they managed to add so much to such a small data structure. Gen 2, while not as broken as Gen 1, is still pretty broken in new and exciting ways, they just hide it better. The catching formula is an excellent example of this, it's best to just link to my recent write up for all the interesting quirks of it.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Short answer: Never use bait, only throw a rock if the pokemon is slow as poo poo.

Longer answer: Bait reduces (DOES NOT ELIMINATE) chance to flee, but HALVES CAPTURE RATE. Never use. Rocks DOUBLE flee rate, but also double capture chance. Flee rate is tied to the pokemon's speed. Throwing a single rock is worth it if the pokemon is slow as poo poo, but the rarer, faster stuff is too twitchy. Throw balls like a maniac and try to get lucky. It's your best hope.

(Thank you, Crosspiece!)

Anytime. My write up for that LP update can be found here if anyone was curious how the Safari Zone stuff worked.

And for an example, Rhyhorn usually has a catch rate of 60 and a 4% chance to escape on any given turn. With the rock thrown, the chance to flee increases to 40%, but it now has a catch rate of 120, so along with the Safari Ball's 1.5x increase to catch rate means you've got a very good chance of catching stuff after a rock throw.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 1, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

awesome, thanks yo!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

32 gig cards are like $12 and can fit like 15 pokemon games probably

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I pre-ordered Sun, but now I'm thinking I should get Moon instead, based on no information about either game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

MacheteZombie posted:

I pre-ordered Sun, but now I'm thinking I should get Moon instead, based on no information about either game.

I refuse to choose a side until I see which of the legendaries is less dumb looking :colbert:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i may buy both since they didn't release a pokemon z!!!!!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I refuse to choose a side until I see which of the legendaries is less dumb looking :colbert:

It was $8 off with my prime membership. I had to take the bargain!

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Macaluso posted:

Same here. I usually don't GAF about box legends but X gave us Xerneas, finally a cool looking and powerful deer Pokemon and deer are my favorite animals :swoon:

(Sawsbuck and Stantler don't count because they mostly suck)

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm going with Sun because of my sunny disposition in life

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

MacheteZombie posted:

I just ordered both.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Question for competitive nerds:

I want to make a WiFi team around Xerneas, since it's my favorite this gen and is obviously extremely powerful. However I'm only really used to OU Showdown and don't want to make an all-Ubers team. What are some good Pokemon from other tiers that mesh together well with Xerneas so I don't do the usual boring primal Groundon/Xerneas/mega Gengar or whatever kind of set?

(Singles, not VGC)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

FishBulb posted:

I just ordered both.

This is very tempting.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I would not order both until you see what great deals there are at gamestop like maybe get a dlc code for 20 potions

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

I would not order both until you see what great deals there are at gamestop like maybe get a dlc code for 20 potions

Maybe a dope plush doll too!

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I will purchase them on the e-shop...to download onto my Nintendo 3DS XL

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

MacheteZombie posted:

It was $8 off with my prime membership. I had to take the bargain!

Thanks for the heads up.

I'll take $8 off over a poster or cheap figurine or whatever GameStop will have any day. Not even joking.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

hopeandjoy posted:

Thanks for the heads up.

I'll take $8 off over a poster or cheap figurine or whatever GameStop will have any day. Not even joking.

I think it's the only time I've purchased a pokemon game brand new at a sale price. (I only buy the main titles though)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ruggington posted:

I will do the same! Digital Pokemon is just too good to pass up. No idea which version I will get. I'll decide which has the cooler looking legendary on the cover which I will catch and shove in a box to rot forever.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Any chance any of you has a copy of heartgold or soul silver for sale? I'm looking to replay all 6 gens and that's the one I'm missing. It's over $50 at gamestop used though and that's way over budget

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Ruggington posted:

it's going to be for new 3ds

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Cuckoo posted:

Question for competitive nerds:

I want to make a WiFi team around Xerneas, since it's my favorite this gen and is obviously extremely powerful. However I'm only really used to OU Showdown and don't want to make an all-Ubers team. What are some good Pokemon from other tiers that mesh together well with Xerneas so I don't do the usual boring primal Groundon/Xerneas/mega Gengar or whatever kind of set?

(Singles, not VGC)

Who to use depends greatly on whether you're using Physical Xerneas or Geomancy Xerneas.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Getting a celebi plush is proving to be much harder than I thought lol

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Captain Fargle posted:

Who to use depends greatly on whether you're using Physical Xerneas or Geomancy Xerneas.

I was leaning towards Geomancy but am open to either set. So far I've brainstormed and it sounds like physically defensive Landorus-T and either Scizor (possibly mega?) or Ferrothorn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I love digital downloads because I don't have to switch out carts, but I've always liked my long shelf of Pokemon games on my games shelves, so I tend to go physical with Pokemon.

• Locked thread