Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It didn't look like they spent a lot of money on them in the first place!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Having your extras bring their own clothes is still cheaper than buying each of them a horse mask.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
New episode up and the newest toy looks like this:

Also, it seems Red is more like the straight-man to a set of oddballs and is always willing to help. White seems more of a pragmatist and is making the best of the situation.

Still no monster pattern yet since the preview for Episode 4 has the monster wielding an axe, but there's also a Wrestling thing going on.

Also, I think I sort of understand why Red has a Whip-Sword. It has to be a Sword because Red ALWAYS has a Sword. It's a whip because he's basically an animal tamer.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 1, 2016

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Ultraseven is really good. I had always wanted to watch a sort of sci-fi serial show made in Japan but I figured there weren't any or they were really rare. I never knew that the Ultraman series was like that, so I'll probably end up watching a bunch of them.

My only complaint from the first episode is it's hard to tell how big anything is. Is Ultraman always big or can he shrink down to human size? He goes into a spaceship that doesn't look much bigger than a jet and walks around inside but then when he exits the ship he's bigger than the mountains. It was a little confusing.

But I love how nonchalantly he just wastes the tentacle alien thing. Doesn't even pause to talk or anything just sort of cuts it in half and keeps moving like nothing happened.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Getsuya posted:

Ultraseven is really good. I had always wanted to watch a sort of sci-fi serial show made in Japan but I figured there weren't any or they were really rare. I never knew that the Ultraman series was like that, so I'll probably end up watching a bunch of them.

My only complaint from the first episode is it's hard to tell how big anything is. Is Ultraman always big or can he shrink down to human size? He goes into a spaceship that doesn't look much bigger than a jet and walks around inside but then when he exits the ship he's bigger than the mountains. It was a little confusing.

But I love how nonchalantly he just wastes the tentacle alien thing. Doesn't even pause to talk or anything just sort of cuts it in half and keeps moving like nothing happened.

Most Ultramen are only ever 40+ meters tall, basically Megazord sized. Some can grow larger, but UltraSeven is the only one who can actively change his size on a regular basis.

He actually uses his size changing powers a fair bit, a few times to become bullet sized, and once to become microscopic. The first episode didn't really show that off too well, but later episodes will make it clearer.

Also UltraSeven pretty well was a major inspiration for Pokemon, with his Capsule Monsters.

UltraSeven is also one of the more violent of the Ultra heroes. You know how in Toku and other similar kinds of genre fiction where we'll joke about the hero never using his finisher off the bat and how that would solve everything? Well Seven always uses his finishers off the bat. If the enemy is powerful enough to tank it, then we get a fight. If they aren't, they get murdered.

Really happy you're enjoying it! It's one of the more SciFi- oriented of the Ultra franchise, but the rest all have the same basic set up of Anti Kaiju Teams with an Ultra hero as the lead.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.shoutfactory.com/kids/kids-action-adventure/power-rangers-ninja-storm-the-complete-series

Ninja Storm coming to DVD in June.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man I love Zyuohger already. I hope it keeps this pace up because seeing a good Sentai after Ninninger feels so nice.

I like Amu a lot. I was expecting another Emi, just an airhead with no other traits and no reason to care about, but I like her pragmatism and cynism a lot. That she takes a far more realistic approach to their situation while at the same time making the best out of it is really nice when most series would just make the realist character gloomy and unlikable.

Yamato's definitely likable too. Just being the normal one with a bunch of weirdoes is really refreshing after a wave of idiot Reds with little variation (with Takaharu being by far the worst of it), but that he's actually growing into the role of eagle - including eagle powers - is rather interesting. I'm starting to wonder if his backstory is true or if there's more to him than we can see.

That villains are allowed to kill like this when most just terrify or whatever is surprisingly hardcore. We see cars exploding, and after the explosions there's nothing, no people escaping at all. Bowgun murdered a lot of people here and the series makes no attempt to hide (or highlight) it - they're playing around, but their idea of "playing" is mass murder. Very Kuuga, although the series is far lighter in tone.
After how terribly inefficient the Kibaoni Clan were, this is amazing.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Xelkelvos posted:

New episode up and the newest toy looks like this:

Also, it seems Red is more like the straight-man to a set of oddballs and is always willing to help. White seems more of a pragmatist and is making the best of the situation.

Still no monster pattern yet since the preview for Episode 4 has the monster wielding an axe, but there's also a Wrestling thing going on.

Also, I think I sort of understand why Red has a Whip-Sword. It has to be a Sword because Red ALWAYS has a Sword. It's a whip because he's basically an animal tamer.

The four leaders have mineral themes. Jagged was one of the leaders, and was apparently based on stibnite.
The two monsters sent out were both Azald's, and they were both animal hunters.
Cubar has a different playstyle than Azald and might have a different theme.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

now if only someone would sub hurricanger

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I can't wait to see what stereotyped indigineous people they make into monsters Next week!!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

The four leaders have mineral themes. Jagged was one of the leaders, and was apparently based on stibnite.
The two monsters sent out were both Azald's, and they were both animal hunters.
Cubar has a different playstyle than Azald and might have a different theme.

Presumably Cubar's monster will be next up to bat so we'll see if the two surviving generals each have a theme for their monsters or if the monsters all have one theme

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The easy association is they've also all been clearly weapons so far. A gun, a spear (whose costume looked like a dart board), and a crossbow.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Some /m/en also deduced that it's whip sword because Yamato is basically taming them. I'm kinda excited to see that Wrestlemania next week, but it probably won't be 20 minutes of ridiculous co-commentary and audience noises. But it will have Leo wrasslin' :chord:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I'm pretty impressed we're heading into Episode like 4 and already The Red is not the central focus of the episode and doesn't even appear to have any lines in the preview, which indicates he's going to be pretty minor and the conflict is going to be Leo and Shark with some Tusk issues. It's super surprising.

To be honest, Yamato's sword doesn't even bother me. Like he's the only one with a unique weapon, except he mostly uses it for posing with the entire group, and he doesn't have like a really unique finisher with it or anything, he still uses his little Cube Sidearm thing to do Zyu-Oh Slash.

After taking like 37 episodes for Ninninger to do a full group finisher instead of 'Takaharu only' or 'Takaharu + Random other', I can accept Red having a personal weapon when he still does finishers with the rest of the group

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Stallion Cabana posted:

I'm pretty impressed we're heading into Episode like 4 and already The Red is not the central focus of the episode and doesn't even appear to have any lines in the preview, which indicates he's going to be pretty minor and the conflict is going to be Leo and Shark with some Tusk issues. It's super surprising.

To be honest, Yamato's sword doesn't even bother me. Like he's the only one with a unique weapon, except he mostly uses it for posing with the entire group, and he doesn't have like a really unique finisher with it or anything, he still uses his little Cube Sidearm thing to do Zyu-Oh Slash.

After taking like 37 episodes for Ninninger to do a full group finisher instead of 'Takaharu only' or 'Takaharu + Random other', I can accept Red having a personal weapon when he still does finishers with the rest of the group

His personal weapon seems to partly be there to make up for the fact that his Beast Awakening doesn't quite give him a combat advantage. It lets him fly, which is nice and still a powerful ability, but not quite "HUGE CLAWS" or "HUGE STOMPY KICK FEET" or "LITERAL LANDSHARK" for combat purposes.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
Looks like another Ultra (or two) is about to descend.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/ultraman-ginga

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Seiyal posted:

Looks like another Ultra (or two) is about to descend.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/ultraman-ginga

oh.

I mean.

If it has to

loving hell

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Is Ginga bad?

Is it Gingaman bad?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

Is Ginga bad?

Is it Gingaman bad?

Gingaman isn't bad so :colbert:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Poison Mushroom posted:

Is Ginga bad?

Is it Gingaman bad?

Okay so take the tone of Den-O

But add in the toy gimmicks of recent Rider

Only the toy gimmicks are literal toys

And remove any of the humor from Den-O

And include a flaming gay stereotype villain who is related to a legacy villain that is a Big Deal in the franchise and really badass

And then smother it all with anime highschool bullshit including an episode about idols.

There is Ginga.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Burkion posted:

Okay so take the tone of Den-O

But add in the toy gimmicks of recent Rider

Only the toy gimmicks are literal toys

And remove any of the humor from Den-O

And include a flaming gay stereotype villain who is related to a legacy villain that is a Big Deal in the franchise and really badass

And then smother it all with anime highschool bullshit including an episode about idols.

There is Ginga.
Is it at least entertainingly terrible? Because that sounds like it could be an incredible drinking game.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Poison Mushroom posted:

Is it at least entertainingly terrible? Because that sounds like it could be an incredible drinking game.

Just, give the first episode a shot I guess.

I mean the fact that they used a 3 dollar toy as a major character is pretty hilarious.

For what it's worth supposedly Ginga S is better, but it's still born from Ginga. At the very least, Ginga is not boring. I can say that much for it. Ginga is almost never boring.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Ultraseven just flew a bunch of guys back to Earth from orbit by having them hold onto a rope and then flying through space tugging them on the rope behind him.
I'm beginning to think this series isn't scientifically accurate.
Also (so far) it has taught me that every alien in the universe (except Dan) is a huge dick who wants to mess up humanity for no good reason. Normally in these shows you have some sort of evil overlord sending folks one by one to fight, but in this it's like each episode you've got aliens from completely different planets who all independently want to pick a fight with Earth.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

man do i feel dumb that it took me until this week's ghost constantly talking about heart over and over for me to notice the lines on specter's suit making a bunch of heartbeat monitor-looking shapes

good ep though, the ending made me real excited to see what's coming next

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Ghost's fight scenes are so good.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
That was uh... quite a knowledge bomb about Makoto that got dropped in a pretty off-hand type of way. I guess we can probably get an accurate read on what story beat is gonna coincide with his upgrade form .

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

deadly_pudding posted:

That was uh... quite a knowledge bomb about Makoto that got dropped in a pretty off-hand type of way. I guess we can probably get an accurate read on what story beat is gonna coincide with his upgrade form .

Oh hey, I'm back in control of my body, BTW, my body is still in hell, who wants takoyaki?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

First look at the cast of the Power Rangers movie.

Not wearing their colors, movie sucks.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
why do they look like they're camping

is rita a bear in this movie?

is zordon going to appear as a giant face in a campfire?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

OnimaruXLR posted:

why do they look like they're camping

is rita a bear in this movie?

is zordon going to appear as a giant face in a campfire?

I would watch a camping sentai. Just saying.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Prepared Sentai Scoutranger

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hiking Sentai Rangerranger

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Expedition Sentai Campanger

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Literally The Worst posted:

Hiking Sentai Rangernger

There you go.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

quote:

Israelite wanted the costume to be immediately recognizable as belonging to the Power Rangers, while give them a “really modern, edgy, badass, aspirational quality.”

Pfffft hahahaha!

quote:

“We’ve really pushed ourselves to make them feel different from any other superhero costume that’s out there,” Israelite said. “One key that’s different to the Power Ranger suits is that they’re not really suits that people get into. They’re suits that morph onto our kids, so they already have this almost metaphysical quality to them.”

So it's Kamen Rider. They've described Kamen Rider.

mikeycp posted:

I would watch a camping sentai. Just saying.

You kind of get that with Hibiki. Though I haven't seen much of Hibiki.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

They kinda are, just very, very faded and washed out.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Akett posted:

You kind of get that with Hibiki. Though I haven't seen much of Hibiki.

No, it's pretty much Kamen Rider Camping. The most disappointing thing I can think of about Hibiki is that it stopped being some kind of weird musical a couple episodes in. That first episode is surreal as hell.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Decade Crab Fight dot YouTube dot com

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Literally The Worst posted:

Hiking Sentai Rangerranger

Ranger Sentai Hikranger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

No, it's pretty much Kamen Rider Camping. The most disappointing thing I can think of about Hibiki is that it stopped being some kind of weird musical a couple episodes in. That first episode is surreal as hell.

I did only say kind of. As far as I understand it the series has a lot more to do with teamwork than most KR things, but I've only seen the first five or so episodes so I don't really know poo poo.

• Locked thread