Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I thought people mostly used remote play to play on the toilet? Unless you're going to have a laptop on your naked lap...

If your bathroom is cold, it doubles as portable heater. Not sure why you wouldn't take your laptop to poop with you, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

PC remote play isn't particularly exciting unless it actually works well across different wifi connections unlike the vita.

I'd rather do it on something portable with a controller built in.

That said. I almost never use remote play.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Sakurazuka posted:

The soundtrack to Dying Light is really loving good.

its loving killer. It's like a mix of John Carpenter + Old Romero movies that suits the whole zombie thing perfectly.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

I thought people mostly used remote play to play on the toilet? Unless you're going to have a laptop on your naked lap...

The edge of the tub holds my lappy perfectly.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Anyone have any luck getting rid of People You May Know? I keep seeing the same crusty beck wards every time I scroll through the menu, and there's no way to mark that you don't know them like on Facebook/Twitter.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hm. Alienation totally slipped under my radar but it looks rad.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Real hurthling! posted:

wire up please. if not for you then the people you play with

I don't really do multiplayer that often so it's more annoying than anything else, and makes using the PS4 to stream anything an intensely frustrating experience. Sadly my house is laid out in such a way that plugging in some Ethernet cable isn't an option.

The weird thing is that this has only been happening for the past 3 or 4 months. When I first got the PS4 everything was perfectly fine. Could something have got screwed up during a firmware update?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah, before I got a Gaems portable system box I used Vita remote play all the time when I traveled for work. It's really well implemented in my experience, even over lovely hotel wifi.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Really? Wow I've never had any luck over different wifi connections. Even if it actually works it looks like YouTube circa 2005.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If your PS4 isn't wired I wouldn't be surprised that the quality sucks. The PS4's wifi is terrible.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Pretty excited about friend online notifications. How does remote play work? Am I going to be able to play PS4 on my Macbook while I'm not at home?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Aphrodite posted:

If your PS4 isn't wired I wouldn't be surprised that the quality sucks. The PS4's wifi is terrible.

As is the Vita's. I had issues with it even when my PS4 was wired.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah that's probably it. I don't have any problems with it when I'm playing online or downloading stuff though so I dunno .

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Montalvo posted:

Pretty excited about friend online notifications. How does remote play work? Am I going to be able to play PS4 on my Macbook while I'm not at home?

Yes depending on wifi strength. I played most of mgsv on the beach outside my mother in laws house last summer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Montalvo posted:

Remote play owns on the vita and the answer to your question is yes

Remote play compresses and streams the video coming from the ps4 to your device, in this case a MacBook, and passes your keypresses back to the ps4

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Snak posted:

When are the gonna add the option to disable "Dualshock 4 has been disconnected" popup? It's the stupidest thing that all notifications aren't toggleable. There are some times when it's easy enough to turn it off manually after pressing play, but if you've paused a movie, there's no way to unpause the movie then turn off the controller without, you know, missing some of the movie.

You could use the smartphone app.

Samurai Sanders posted:

In general, software developers need to ask themselves "is this a message that basically every user is going to see every single time they use this, and yet isn't asking them to do anything? If so, maybe we should just not show it".

But, I have long ago accepted that software developers have largely forgotten what it means to be a software user.

I dunno, you guys might be forgetting how dumb your average user is.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Is this not a problem on the newer SKUs? I got my PS4 around New Years (Uncharted bundle) and aside from a few incidents of buffering while running Netflix I've never had any problems with the WiFi in terms of latency or dropped connections.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Is this not a problem on the newer SKUs? I got my PS4 around New Years (Uncharted bundle) and aside from a few incidents of buffering while running Netflix I've never had any problems with the WiFi in terms of latency or dropped connections.

It's not automatically bad but if you ever have network trouble switching to a wire is almost guaranteed to clear it up.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Mad Hamish posted:

I don't really do multiplayer that often so it's more annoying than anything else, and makes using the PS4 to stream anything an intensely frustrating experience. Sadly my house is laid out in such a way that plugging in some Ethernet cable isn't an option.

Have you looked into powerline adapters?

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

abagofcheetos posted:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/03/01/uncharted-4-multiplayer-stress-test-this-weekend/

this is gonna be a hell of a stress test considering you don't even need plus...
They must have the shittiest netcode. If you click through to the FAQ, they are still recommending 1 megabit upload, which rules out most people with DSL.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Have you looked into powerline adapters?

Aaahahaha no. My house was built in 1951 and there are precisely two outlets in the entirety of the living room and dining room. The lights dim when the furnace comes on. That kinda thing will only be possible if the house gets rewired.

Part of me is wondering if getting a new router would help - the one we have is about ten years old. The hiccup when testing the network settings comes when it's checking the NAT settings, whatever that is.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Replacing a 10 year old router is a good idea in general.

(Is it a Linksys WRT54G?)

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Real hurthling! posted:

Yes depending on wifi strength. I played most of mgsv on the beach outside my mother in laws house last summer.

Girl in bikini: "oh kathy, look at that guys PF score. Shhh shhh dont look right away. drat."

*swoon*

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Exactly but with my wife saying something about dragonball z instead

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Mad Hamish posted:

Part of me is wondering if getting a new router would help - the one we have is about ten years old. The hiccup when testing the network settings comes when it's checking the NAT settings, whatever that is.

The wifi on consumer routers has gotten drastically better in the last few years. And they're cheap. Absolutely replace that thing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If that guy who's name I could never spell still posted here he would be posting this but we have to move on and make do so here you go

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Already deleted, someone fat-fingered the store database update.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Is that $20 indie game really going to cost $60?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Who cares

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

Is that $20 indie game really going to cost $60?
This sounds like a riddle

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

$60 just seems hard to swallow. Even Witness wasn't $60.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

$60 just seems hard to swallow. Even Witness wasn't $60.

The witness was £30 which is essentially full price for a new game in the UK

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

The witness was £30 which is essentially full price for a new game in the UK

It was $40 in the US which is a full $20 less than a new game. They've either got a lot of confidence or are depending on the 'it's niche so they'll pay it' strategy.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

CJacobs posted:

...Well, on the bright side, they mention in the post that this isn't all of the features being added. Maybe the next post on the subject will show off something cool/useful.

edit: Of course, remote play is nothing to scoff at, it's just that I can't really imagine in what situation someone would feasibly use it. Maybe if someone else wanted to use the TV and you didn't want to haul your PS4 to where your computer is and just spend 5 minutes hooking it up there?

im gonna remote play at work :twisted:

oddly excited for the group scheduling thing too since i do a lot of destiny raids and poo poo

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Even if I don't care about the game itself, NMS has had a pretty interesting history. From it's initial hype due to being the only thing that didn't fall flat on its face at VGX to losing a bunch of work in a basement flood, it's been a long time coming for the walking sim that procedurally generates differently colored planets.

Motto fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 1, 2016

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

X_ThePerfect posted:

Man, Garden Warfare 2 is really good - it is a bigger and better version of the first, which is already solid, and I'd really recommend it.

The co-op mode really makes me wish we had a next-gen version of the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer though, as that was possibly my favourite co-op mode ever, but I suppose this is the closest we will have for a while. DA:I multiplayer doesn't count because drat that was a disappointment.

I cannot stop playing this drat game, it's just too goddamn fun

Nothing better than wrecking dudes as an orange

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
They must have added $20 dollars to the price for each year it wasn't released.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 1, 2016

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wait, 3/3 isn't the date is it?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

How the hell did they gently caress up the Broforce port? A soft lock at the beginning of every level and slowdown with too many people on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Harlock posted:

How the hell did they gently caress up the Broforce port? A soft lock at the beginning of every level and slowdown with too many people on screen.
I dunno but messing with Broforce's performance is un-American as hell.

• Locked thread