Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
godface zillah
Nov 18, 2012

How many bud lights makes posting that a good idea? Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmbzhRB7EPk

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Does anybody remember laughter?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Painfully unfunny, isn't it.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
What's so great about the Chip Chipperson Animated Series is that it gives us proof that, yes, Norton has fallen, too. He didn't HAVE to make this tripe; he could've stayed ahead of the curve by just sitting still and not producing garbage. Instead, we've proof that Opie, Ant, and Jimmy are all pathetic failures. Opie is a mental midget who legitimately thinks HARRY HATER is funny, Ant is a drunken, drug-addled pedophile who beats his barely-legal, in more ways than one, girlfriends, and now Jimmy has shown that he can't even be content with having a steady radio gig and stand-up work, because all his friends have TV shows and have flown past him in reknown, especially including past openers like Amy Schumer. Yet O&A in years past was still pretty good.

godface zillah
Nov 18, 2012

Forty thousand dollars.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I still don't get why they expanded the concept of "deliberately annoyingly unfunny character" to "deliberately annoyingly unfunny cartoon". Like the only reason Chip works is because he's pissing everyone off or embarrassing everyone around him. If anyone around him reacted in a genuine way, it might work. But in that cartoon everyone just does the same poo poo and bombs equally badly. And then Norton plugs it seemingly earnestly. :psyduck:

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Kevyn posted:

Does anybody remember laughter?

"In the name of the Senate and the People of Rome" kinda made me laugh, a little.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu-BqOsvj00

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
"Kelesy"? Oh good lord

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
That is so embarrassingly bad. You can really tell Jim has no respect for cartoons/animation.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

Tevryr
Dec 5, 2009
It would be great if people just kept donating to make like 20 more of these out of some weird ironic spite.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Cromulent posted:

That is so embarrassingly bad. You can really tell Jim has no respect for cartoons/animation.

Well anyone watching his show has definitely seen more animation than him.

It's a weird thing about Jim in general. I don't know how he expects to make good things when he doesn't have any models to analyze. I don't know any good musicians who don't regularly listen to other people's music, for instance.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

40 grand for something that's 1998 newgrounds quality

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

These are the same people who said Cokelogic's work looked as good as Pixar.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

An Enormous Boner posted:

Well anyone watching his show has definitely seen more animation than him.

It's a weird thing about Jim in general. I don't know how he expects to make good things when he doesn't have any models to analyze. I don't know any good musicians who don't regularly listen to other people's music, for instance.

He's also doing this weird self-sabotage thing. He's supposed to be plugging it, but he keeps saying 'well, you know i only had $40k, it's not that great.' Come on dude, have some pride in your work.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Watching that episode made me realize that Norton really doesn't get how Chip works. Chip works when he's confounding someone with a lovely line. In a way, he's more Ralph Wiggam: an incidental character who isn't that deep but has a really funny habit of not being funny. He would work as part of an ensemble. But on his own he simply doesn't work. It comes off as being something that someone who never knew Chip or listened to the show would do as a pilot. Even the design is off: I don't see Chip as being angry, but more just incredibly dumb and retarded. And why he has the throat-clearing laugh doesn't even make sense or add anything to the short.

I was more entertained by Ted Sheckler than anything else. And Ted would probably be a better choice for animation, simply because he's more of a character. He fails constantly, misreads people, makes HORRIBLE decisions, and simply doesn't have a lick of sense about him. Plus with every new episode you could have him do some new kind of emporium and mine that for comedy. With Chip.....no, it just doesn't work for a number of reasons. The animation is the least of its problems; the entire premise, such as it is, simply does not work. Jimmy has a lot of characters and a weird sort of universe where they relate, and he should aim more for that and take some time to craft something that works instead of this sad desperate thing. We shouldn't even call this a Newgrounds ripoff because Newgrounds in some respect was being offensive for its own sake at its own time. This....this is just a waste. I wasted five minutes on something I can't even hate because that would require me interacting with something that happened on the screen. I feel nothing. In a few hours, I will have forgotten this. And I think that says it all.

I think Jimmy should learn from this, and stop dicking around and start rebuilding his career. Because he doesn't have to do this. He doesn't have to toil in bullshit animation just because. He needs a focus, and this...this poo poo just gets in the way.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Chip is an incident, not a character.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Jim is a loving idiot and a bad comedian. I laugh at him, not with him.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Nary a joke to be had in Jim's cartoon. The voices also feel off, which is odd. I take back what I said before about the animation itself being not as bad as I expected, too - this is truly horrendous. How did Jim find that terrible animation company? I assume it's a show fan connection, because with 40k he should have easily been able to find a decent animator.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ozza posted:

Nary a joke to be had in Jim's cartoon. The voices also feel off, which is odd. I take back what I said before about the animation itself being not as bad as I expected, too - this is truly horrendous. How did Jim find that terrible animation company? I assume it's a show fan connection, because with 40k he should have easily been able to find a decent animator.

This is the sizzle reel for the production company he partnered with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opKK1bjghPw

And as far as I can figure out, they're partnered with the remnants of a Canadian animation company called Fatkat. After the government stopped giving them money, they filed bankrupt and formed a new company which outsources all of its work to independent contractors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwSFK3niNhM

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 1, 2016

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
I bet Chip Ruins the Mood getting heat is what gave Jim the idea to create a show starring Chip. Even there, the humor is lost if you cut out the first 20 seconds of two seemingly normal people bantering.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I finally watched the show (the funeral home episode).
It physically hurts it is so bad. At least Ted was in it.
Ted > Chip.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I watched a minute and just couldn't. I think the same experience happened to me on the first episode. The jokes made no sense, it's just a chain of teenage highschool humor with no logic.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

The Dave posted:

it's just a chain of teenage highschool humor with no logic.

tss

tss tss

well, no logic is bettah den cokelogic :haw:

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

shyduck posted:

40 grand for something that's 1998 newgrounds quality

That's whats loving weird about it. This wouldn't hack it in the early 2000's era of lovely online flash animation.

Jim has no idea what the gently caress to do. It's like he saw Burr's success with F is for Family and gave a half assed attempt at that hoping his name and association with the bloated corpse of O&A would do the rest.

I'd be embarrassed.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Chromatic posted:

That's whats loving weird about it. This wouldn't hack it in the early 2000's era of lovely online flash animation.

Jim has no idea what the gently caress to do. It's like he saw Burr's success with F is for Family and gave a half assed attempt at that hoping his name and association with the bloated corpse of O&A would do the rest.

I'd be embarrassed.
Oh geez, I forgot about that. They talked all about what went into F is for Family so he has even less excuse for sharting out this low effort garbage.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I think the right direction for Jimmy with Chip is not animation, but to do some performance art like Pee Wee Herman/Mr. T/Jiminy Glick where he's just in character 100% of the time. Some Sacha Baron Cohen poo poo, Where Jimmy becomes Chip.

It would be obnoxious, sure, but so are a lot of those characters to a lot of people. And Jimmy is quick enough to pull off all the unscripted jokes that would need to be made in such a situation.

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 1, 2016

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
When can he let the audience know he's a recovering alcoholic if he's always in character?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

jerkstoresup posted:

When can he let the audience know he's a recovering alcoholic if he's always in character?
He can bring Vos up for that part.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

CrashCat posted:

"It worksh if you work it people."

SegwayPimp
Sep 13, 2015
Did something trigger Ant to go on reddit and make that huge post in particular or is he just losing his poo poo altogether?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

SegwayPimp posted:

Did something trigger Ant to go on reddit and make that huge post in particular or is he just losing his poo poo altogether?

Yes.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
What do YOU think is the case? He clearly just got drunk and decided it was time to 'take it to all those Reddit fags' who were bashing him needlessly.

SegwayPimp
Sep 13, 2015
drat.This is getting sad. I stood by Ant for a while now. I enjoy Ant as a radio personality and I think he's a pretty smart, well spoken guy but he's getting a bit nuts between all the Trump stuff, his race baiting obsession and the domestic violence accusations. He got catfished by a "15 year old" girl a few years ago I've read? The pedophilia talk surrounding him kind of make me wanna unsubscribe just on principle....I enjoy his show but I don't know how much of reddit is to be believed....

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

CrashCat posted:

Before I saw Vos live a ways back I told my friend that he was gonna say how long he'd been sober. Unsurprisingly, he said it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I feel bad for Amy for having her name attached to this.

Jim could pull off a cartoon but Chip can't be a main character. It should just be Jim as the main character and all his other characters play off him.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Yeah, Jim could play an aging, stagnant stand-up comedian who peaked 10 years ago and spends all of his time edging in hotel rooms so he can forget the fact that anyone who ever opened for him has since passed him by. Also Chip.

https://streamable.com/sieq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Ted would be a hilarious character in a Simpsons/South Park type show with a huge cast of townsfolk. Every episode he'd be running a new ridiculous emporium.

• Locked thread