Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
http://www.vampyr-game.com/

So here's something interesting. Edwardian era vampire stuff, I wonder if you play as one-of-a-kind bloodsucker or if there's an actual society going on. Pretty much going to be my fix until we get an actual VTM game... someday? I can only replay Bloodlines so many times!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Wait do you guys not have crushed velvet hoodies and chucks with spats?

Guys?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Attorney at Funk posted:

There's a lot of semantic nitpicking over the meaning of the word 'verisimilitude' when it's obvious that what they meant, and what everyone is reacting to, is nostalgia for the 90s aesthetic.

Obviously CCP was Gamist but now Vampire's been bought by the Simulationists at Paradox and s

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Darker Days Radio #68 is up http://podcast.darker-days.org/e/darker-days-radio-episode-68/

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

MalcolmSheppard posted:

Wardrobe can be a huge thing in Nordic, so I don't think so. I believe it's more so that art and design assets and mood boards and poo poo aren't stuck in old stereotypes.

Can be being the operative words. I've never felt pressured about the wardrobe in any incarnation of CoW, thouh i have envied people with cooler props. And really, being able to create my charecters wardrobe out of mine, and perhaps borrow soemthing frome my roommate, has always been part of the draw of stuff like vampire over various fantasy larps.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
To be honest considering Vampire both oWoD and nWoD has the loving Masquerade as a big part of its setting, I have no idea why vampires are supposed to have a "look." Considering that, in Requiem at least, one of the Harpy's jobs is being the actual fashion police and making sure that the elders don't go out in public in togas or quilted doublets I'm not really sure why most people seem to think you should be able to identify a vampire or a clan by dress code. I always thought it would be a big draw for vampire LARP that you didn't need any special props because you're deliberately trying to look as unassuming as possible.

I've always privately liked the idea of having a Harpy be the typical sarcastic, petty Daeva they're supposed to be - but they exclusively wear trackies and sweatpants and stuff and they reserve their scorn for people who dress up for court. "Armani again, darling? Somebody hasn't heard of subterfuge I take it?" *exaggeratedly cleans £2 pair of Primark sunglasses with sleeve of tracksuit*

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
My favorite Harpy concept is a stressed out social media/computer geek.

"Okay, this is a cell phone. If you don't have one, you will stand out. No, that's the unlock button. Yeah, okay, it's just called that, there's no actual key. Here, let me see that.... how did you get ten toolbars and BonziBuddy!? This is an iPhone!"

"Now that you know what a cell phone is, let me introduce you to cameras. Remember how everyone has a phone? Every phone has a camera, which means anybody can record anything anywhere. As soon as they do, assume it's on the internet and shared by everyone."

"I realize that you all have cameras now, but please stop taking selfies. You don't even show up in them, you're just a blur, which is kinda a HUGE GIVEAWAY when you upload it to facebook. Besides, it's obnoxious, stop it."

"Raven, you need to stop posting everything to Twitter. Hunters can see your tweets, and you are LITERALLY being followed by @MalleusMaleficarum, @VampireStaker and @VALKYRIEDoesntExist. Can't you just post racist poo poo like all the other old people?"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
My favorite costume I've seen at LARP was the guy who looked and sounded like a trucker from Minnesota.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
I like to imagine old vampires are super uncomfortable to be around in that "grandparent at thanksgiving" kind of way.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
When I was in college there was a brief-lived Masquerade LARP set in Orlando. I was in a Sabbat pack with a strict dress code of Hawaiian shirts, shorts, and sunglasses (camera slung around the neck optional). The fact that the actual physical location was in New England with a foot of snow on the ground was the icing on this particular cake.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I like to imagine old vampires are super uncomfortable to be around in that "grandparent at thanksgiving" kind of way.

"These Uppity thin blood don't know their place. Why in my day any neonate that couldn't punch their way out of their own stone coffin was put to sunlight the next day I tell you what."

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

"Do you know what the problem with this country is? Too many Spaniards." *stares fixedly at table to see if anyone will correct him*

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
"People these nights are weak and spineless. Back in my night, we didn't just sit around and complain about Musselmen! We went on a crusade and butchered the Jews instead! Those were the nights.... you could learn a thing or two, kiddo"

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

This new Prince is a disaster! We need someone who will make our fief great again.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
"Why has no one hired the Pinkertons to get rid of all these troublemakers yet?"

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Kaza42 posted:

"Okay, this is a cell phone. If you don't have one, you will stand out. No, that's the unlock button. Yeah, okay, it's just called that, there's no actual key. Here, let me see that.... how did you get ten toolbars and BonziBuddy!? This is an iPhone!"

"Now that you know what a cell phone is, let me introduce you to cameras. Remember how everyone has a phone? Every phone has a camera, which means anybody can record anything anywhere. As soon as they do, assume it's on the internet and shared by everyone."

"I realize that you all have cameras now, but please stop taking selfies. You don't even show up in them, you're just a blur, which is kinda a HUGE GIVEAWAY when you upload it to facebook. Besides, it's obnoxious, stop it."

"Raven, you need to stop posting everything to Twitter. Hunters can see your tweets, and you are LITERALLY being followed by @MalleusMaleficarum, @VampireStaker and @VALKYRIEDoesntExist. Can't you just post racist poo poo like all the other old people?"

I've played this, but as a Winter Court changeling helping people who've just escaped after 20+ years. (The other part of his job was to be ready to shoot them if they started going "But man, it wasn't all bad back in my durance, why's everyone so down on the evil elves who kidnapped us anyway?" )

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kaza42 posted:

I played as this elder once, it was a blast. Bonus: he was an rear end in a top hat, so even after he very well knew better he kept doing it.

"drat dude that was awesome how you ripped that car clean in half! *snapchats to everyone*"

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
My current VtR character is a long-torpid, Fog-addled, ex-Senex member brought to Los Angeles and woken up like two years ago-- who promptly became a Carthian because, well, at least they want a proper Kindred state, even if they apparently think this is some kind of radical new idea.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Doodmons posted:

To be honest considering Vampire both oWoD and nWoD has the loving Masquerade as a big part of its setting, I have no idea why vampires are supposed to have a "look." Considering that, in Requiem at least, one of the Harpy's jobs is being the actual fashion police and making sure that the elders don't go out in public in togas or quilted doublets I'm not really sure why most people seem to think you should be able to identify a vampire or a clan by dress code. I always thought it would be a big draw for vampire LARP that you didn't need any special props because you're deliberately trying to look as unassuming as possible.

I've always privately liked the idea of having a Harpy be the typical sarcastic, petty Daeva they're supposed to be - but they exclusively wear trackies and sweatpants and stuff and they reserve their scorn for people who dress up for court. "Armani again, darling? Somebody hasn't heard of subterfuge I take it?" *exaggeratedly cleans £2 pair of Primark sunglasses with sleeve of tracksuit*

If I ever do a LARP, I will be wearing the loudest Hawaiian shirt I can find, cargo shorts and sandals with black socks.

EDIT: Oh, hello post I should have read before posting!

PantsOptional posted:

When I was in college there was a brief-lived Masquerade LARP set in Orlando. I was in a Sabbat pack with a strict dress code of Hawaiian shirts, shorts, and sunglasses (camera slung around the neck optional). The fact that the actual physical location was in New England with a foot of snow on the ground was the icing on this particular cake.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

If I ever LARP again (I won't), I'll come in an old bathrobe over my normal clothes and basically be a Mekhet version of The Dude.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

MonsieurChoc posted:

If I ever LARP again (I won't), I'll come in an old bathrobe over my normal clothes and basically be a Mekhet version of The Dude.

That just like, your opinion man (dominate) and it's now my opinion too!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
For a game where the players are police officers, would a tattoo that can only be seen if you know what it looks like and are actively looking for it, work?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

DJ Dizzy posted:

For a game where the players are police officers, would a tattoo that can only be seen if you know what it looks like and are actively looking for it, work?

Work for what? I feel like there is some information I'm missing here.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I dunno really. Bad guy cult members, so they could identify each other, but not by random cop X.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

If it's to mark NPCs of interest, why hide it from the player characters? Give them normal tattoos (though presumably normally covered up) so that you can use the tattoos as a hook for PCs to notice and capitalize on, but to maintain the sense of mystery and need for context and research, have the tattoos vary from cultist to cultist, based on their accomplishments or role within the cult. It's not like you can get away with strip-searching everyone you encounter to look for tats, so you can still maintain an atmosphere of paranoia if the cult has members in surprising places.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's pretty much how my current vampire dresses night-to-night. He recently became the city sheriff, so now he shows up to Elysium in full Clint Eastwood cosplay.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

MonsieurChoc posted:

I was in a Mage LARP once where one of the PCs only ever showed up in his bathrobe. He mostly did it to mock the Silver Ladder who took themselves too seriously.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

cptn_dr posted:

I was in a Mage LARP once where one of the PCs only ever showed up in his bathrobe. He mostly did it to mock the Silver Ladder who took themselves too seriously.

Did he tape construction paper stars and rhinestones onto it? Because he was not properly pissing off wizards if not.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

cptn_dr posted:

Brilliant.

I once had a Silver Ladder Obrimos concept that was a King of the Hobos, Cour des Miracles from Notre-Dame style.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Stop talking about LARP and help me progress my campaign.

After the last game, one of my players left because he couldn't be a dick to everyone and not have the world react to his dickishness.

The players have identified a symbol that bad guys use, and killed two acolytes with that symbol scarred onto them, and another dude living in a house with said symbol on the entrance, including his pet project, trying to create some kind of creature with stolen bodyparts.

I'm thinking of ripping off some aspects of True Detective in a lead-up to bad night at blackmoon farm. The cult at blackmoon farm would gather "cultists" with the express purpose of comitting mass suicide so they can be harvested of compatible bodyparts willingly and neatly. The incompatible people would be sacrificed beforehand ritually in order to ensure the "chosen ones" a life after death. Thoughts?

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

cptn_dr posted:

I was in a Mage LARP once where one of the PCs only ever showed up in his bathrobe.

Real wizards do it all the time.

(source; I like this artist's series of Dresden sketches a lot)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Okay, everybody ready for a huge writeup of my vampire session? Sweet, if so. I figured an effortpost was in order as thanks for all the help you guys 'n gals gave me.

The Children of the Night... What Parties they Have: Episode One
Set in Corpus Christi, TX

The players by age:
Zaniyah 700+ years old Aztec Daeva who has been throwing legendary parties across America for centuries. Courtesan mask, Jester dirge.
Cap'n Jack Parrot and his parrot, Sparrow 400+ years old Ventrue pirate vampire, physically and psychologically addicted to grog and treasure. Rebel mask, Junkie dirge.
Nathaniel Merryweather 300+ years old Gangrel frontiersman who came over with the Jamestown settlers. Went to sleep after the workers revolutions of the 1900s hoping capitalism had been smashed, woke up when his resting place was bulldozed to make a wal-mart. Can't get enough Bear Grylls. Cult Leader mask, Masochist dirge.
Ichabod 65 years old, recently embraced Nosferatu, pretends to be an upstanding member of vampire church, is really a serial killer and the only member of the game who plays a "serious" character. Scolar mask, monster dirge.
Luna 35 years old, Mekhet embraced 5 years ago, sees prophecies and wants to have as many little vampire childers as possible. Guru mask, spy dirge.

The group were all returning from their own various vampire doings and since they're already reasonably friendly they agreed to meet up for a bite to drink before heading back to the main vampire community in town. This was meant to be a small scene, I was thinking bite a couple people by the docks or something, but the players chose their location as a nightclub and it quickly got quite involved. I asked around for a good name for the club and the only reply was "club bouncing boobs" so I used a little GM fiat to class up the name to simply Bounce.

Theres a big line and two hefty twin bouncers outside the door, so the players all get to work on getting in. Zaniyah swans up to the front and decides she knows a DJ in the club, and would be on the guestlist, she is but under her legenadary psuedonym and she has no ID anyway, she successfuly Daeva's her way through the social challenge though and walks in forgetting about all her friends outside.
Jack Parrot flubs a dominate roll and then intimidates his way in with his cutlass.
As Ichabod and Luna just obfuscate and stroll in Nathaniel comes up with the first of many great plans, nonsensically asking the bouncers if they'd let Bear Grylls in if he turned up, when they say "yes but you aren't him" he gives himself an improvised enema just like Mr Grylls, filling his handy enema bag with vampire vitae. At this point the bouncers just let the fucker in because look at his eyes, man.

The players all get to feeding, Jack Parrot desperately trying to get drunk by forcing a guy to chug whisky while he feeds on him, Zaniyah and Luna both sire new hunky boy vampires, only one on purpose and the freaking out fledglings are taken away by one of Zaniyah's mortal herd.
Ichabod declares the bouncer wronged him in his mortal life and enacts a plan to murder him. They are twins though and he makes no roll to recognise which one he's killing.
Nathaniel leaps into action, scanning the crowd of ripe, blood-filled mortals and identifying the one with the raddest dog. He sprints from the club and his friends to find this dog, smashing down the man’s front door and drinking his dog partially then turning it into his ghoul. He sees police cruisers race past him as he stands in the broken doorway holding a bag of buttblood.
The police show up because some weird dude was waving a cutlass around, interrupting Ichabods murder attempt. Zaniyah tries to distract them from Jack Parrot but the pirate has a massive disadvantage against rolls to spot pirate, luckily he successfully bullshits his way through the exchange, his cutlass is quite clearly a centuries old antique that it would be sheer foolishness to draw.
As the cops yell at the bouncers for wasting their time, Ichabod lies in wait, after they've left he beans the bouncer with a bottle, stalks him into the first aid station then brutally murders him by hacking open his hamstring then injecting him with a syringe full of air. The last bit is somehow supposed to make it seem like some sort of accident and I laugh irl.
Nathaniel arrives back at the club, morphed into a hamster (his two stored forms are a hamster and a budgie) and riding his new dog, temporarily called Butthound.

The players get a text from their vampire friend Zina, telling them theres some hot new vampire drug in town that turns people into either humans or super vampires, its unclear. I wrote this campaign after reading the gently caress out of the Phenazepam thread so that level of coherency. (Hmm now that I think about it Zina's name comes from the thread too, maybe thats creepy, sorry I just liked your name for a vampire.)

They go on to the local vampire pad, a club dug out under a barn called the Gothic Castle. Its in disarray, theres nine inch nails music blaring out and nobody has replaced the haystack that covers the entrance. Everyone inside is hosed off their tits, dancing, watching pokemon, freaking out or in a coma. Zina comes up and offers the group some of this stuff, which can be imbibes numerous ways but is normally a sparkling blue powder called Glimmer. Everyone apart from Jack Parrot declines to partake but the old Cap'n gets righteously grogged on the stuff. Nathaneil smokes his tobacco pipe, and I secretly roll to spike it. Butthound is also renamed Hamilton Cockspur.
Luna uses her psychic powers to interrogate the source of the drug, disgraced Ventrue and Zeniyah's arch rival, Party Barty. She learns that he's been dealt it by a ghoul of his.

They track the ghoul down, a work-hard, play-hard businesswoman who they have to interrogate to get her source. Jack Parrot commits something of a faux pas by dominating the answer out of a stronger vampire’s ghoul, but Nathaniel smooths the situation over by trading a bag of his buttblood for a bag of vampire drugs.

The players follow the info to a ruined civil war fort that is being occupied by gangsters lead by a ganster called Scorpion, played by Danny Trejo, they've apparently got some guy called "the Geek" working for them and making Glimmer. Being hosed up on Glimmer gives you subtler control over your disciplines which Nathaniel puts to good use by combining his forms to turn into a hosed up tiny hamsterbudgie and perform recon nearly as well as just a budgie. Parrot's parrot, Sparrow also helps out and steals some "treasure", one of the gangsters phones which they read and find out that this isn't the first time vampires have tried to break in.

The Cap'n tires of recon and sends Parrot to attack, the bird divebombs some guy and starts clawing the poo poo out of his face as Butthound nee Hamilton Cockspur, now called the Duchess grabs one of the patrollers on the wall's legs and the Cap'n himself raises up all vampire movie like and leaps hissing at the guy, missing entirely and sailing into the courtyard of the fort. This aggros a miniboss, a huge hagrid-looking motherfucker covered in bling and armed with a grenade launcher, the players name him Swagrid and I'm gleeful.
As Ichabod cooly executes people with his bolt action rifle and Luna accidentally punts Duchess off the fort wall, Nathaniel flies into the air, morphing horribly from a budgiehamster to a naked hairy vampire man and landing beside Scorpion with an intimidate crit. Scorpion had already had enough of this vampire poo poo days ago and yells at everyone to throw down their weapons.

Zaniyah jumps over the wall and wrestles the grenade launcher off Swagrid who knows no surrender, figuring its best in the hands of a 700 year old with no gun experience whatsoever. Swagrid wrestles it back only to be interrupted by Luna celerity-kungfuing it out of his hands again and putting him out of the fight.
Zaniyah levels the grenade launcher at the last gunman who hasn't surrendered and misses him entirely as you might expect, the grenade lands in the middle of Scorpion and Nathaniel, they both make hail mary dodges but some poor surrendering guy gets pasted. Ichabod sighs and starts slowly plugging shots into the final guy so he dies slow, Ichabods player adds yet more Monster beats to his sheet.

The geek is being held in a makeshift drug-lab dungeon, that was barricaded from the outside for reasons the players will never think to ask. They cheerfully tear down the barricades and enter a pitch black hallway, they smell fresh dead down here so Zaniyah dances over to investigate and is immediately ambushed by two starved, frenzied vampires, their faces caked in blue powder. She takes an uncomfortable amount of damage and basically elects to avoid combat for the rest of the session. The players dispatch these vamps pretty easily, putting them into torpor and I guess just leaving them there ultimately. There is one of them that is nonhostile but nobody seems to notice or care and Ichabod tortures him to death (yes, have more beats, embrace the dark side, gooood).

At the end is a room which appears to be a drug lab inside a cell, with an old muttering man in it who appears to be talking to his grandchildren who aren't there. The pants Nathaniel had pulled on come off again as he swarm forms through the keyhole (trying to look for the key, within the locked cell...) and the man explains that he is the Geek (or Dr Nerd as my players refer to him) but he prefers to be called Fruity, hes a blind old crazy man and the wife of a powerful witch. He got it into his head she would be more impressed by him if he could do magic and stole a recipe from her letters and created the stuff, then started doing it himself. He's not sure when he got picked up but Scorpion forced him to make the stuff, then he started feeding the "grandchildren" who would break in and show up for his "magic powder".

Cap'n Parrot retrieves the recipe, as its contained in what looks like a treasure chest and he goes completely mad as soon as he sees that, smashing through the gate to get at it. He's so dissapointed that there's only some dumb important plot paper inside that he Frenzies right there in the cell. Luckily, the focus of his frenzy is to get as much Glimmer as he can in his face and in the treasure chest and nobody is inclined to stop him, he eventually tuckers himself out and sits in a semi-conscious stupor.

The players decide to eat old Fruity, because its been a long night and hell, they're vampires. Zaniyah and Ichabod between them though are slightly concerned about his powerful witch wife and decide a safer course of action would be to take him back to his wife but magically compel him to create the drugs for them, "to keep them controlled,".

As they leave the Fort, they run into Zina who they had left comatose at the side of the road, her head has cleared up a bit now and she remembers she is an Ordo Dracul agent, sent to retreive the recipe and demands the group hand it over. The group basically laugh in her face and say "sure, maybe" and walk away.

The session ends with the group returning to the Gothic Castle, where everyone inside has broken into a frenzy and pushing a boulder over the entrance. As they head home for the night Zaniyah's herd-member can be seen running after two fledgelings, the Daeva one sparkling like a Cullen and pirroetting, the Mekhet one vanishing in and out of sight and yelling that he can't see himself.

Kaza42 posted:

(Great stuff follows)

I'm stealing this for my campaign btw.

e:

Doodmons posted:

Also this

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 2, 2016

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

So, i might be planning to run a mage game on this very forum. Except the core, which books would you concider most important to getting a good mage game out of it?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Magnusth posted:

So, i might be planning to run a mage game on this very forum. Except the core, which books would you concider most important to getting a good mage game out of it?

Seers of the Throne is a good Mage book.
I hear Secrets of the Ruined Temple is good?

The Supernal Tarot is a book full of plot hooks and is pretty good for that purpose. So is Intruders.

Avoid Sanctum & Sigil unless you want to be bored out of your skull. I have no idea how the average group is meant to use any of that stuff.

Also the Mage 2e book is coming out Soon(tm) so maybe delay until then? It's currently in layout. But at this stage, given their last meeting notes... probably not for at least two months.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Magnusth posted:

Tome of the Mysteries. Summoners also has lots of good content. Astral Realms is a bit complex but adds a whole new dimension to play in for more explicitly fantastical, less mundane stuff.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Magnusth posted:

Presuming you mean Awakening and not Ascension:

Tome of the Mysteries is pretty much considered essential to flesh out the 1e core. Creative thaumaturgy, some magical practices, and a better description of what supernal sorcery actually looks like and how it works.

Astral Realms is really good if you like extradimensional jaunts, metaphorical dream quests, and set pieces too weird, wild and out there to stage in the material realm. You can skip it if you expect to run a game more grounded in the everyday world and travelling in dreams or the world-soul is off the beaten path for you.

Intruders: Encounters with the Abyss remains one of the CofD's best antagonist books, and gives a way better view of the flavor and nature of Abyssal manifestations than the 1e core. It provides both good adventure material and good inspiration fodder to spark your own.

Other books are generally pretty strong, but I consider those three to have the broadest core utility. Runner-up highlights include the Order books (including Seers of the Throne but excluding the Free Council book), Summoners, the Chronicler's Guide, Imperial Mysteries and Left-Hand Path.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 3, 2016

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Pope Guilty posted:

My favorite costume I've seen at LARP was the guy who looked and sounded like a trucker from Minnesota.

My last MET character (yeah I know) was a Gangrel that wore a cowboy hat and talked in a foghorn leghorn accent. :v:

Playing a yokel vampire is a ton of fun, gently caress all these city types :bahgawd:

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Another thing is, i'd like the cabal i end up with to have some theme like 'major arcana' or 'nordic gods' or whatever. In a normal, irl group, i'd just have my players sit down and decide before making charecters, but that's not feasible when the group only gets decided after everyone has posted their charecters. Suggestions for how to resolve that?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tell people in the recruit what theme you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

You could have everyone submit a regular human at the cusp of Awakening, pick people based on that, then have the group hammer out the theme stuff while they're applying their splat template.

Mors Rattus posted:

Tell people in the recruit what theme you want.

Or just this. Usually works okay, and then people can make fine adjustments after you pick your group.