Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
It's a good way to get shot in the face with a shotgun in the south

Edit: so I did a thing today

It is possibly the greatest thing ever created by mortal engineering

Razzled fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Wheelie couches are the poo poo. Enjoy it. Bleed the clutch and rear brake very often, the engine cooks the fluid. Gabbro chip is worth it. I see you already have second gen mirrors, good.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

BlackMK4 posted:

Wheelie couches are the poo poo. Enjoy it. Bleed the clutch and rear brake very often, the engine cooks the fluid. Gabbro chip is worth it. I see you already have second gen mirrors, good.

Not sure if it's a gabbro chip but it has the factory titanium racing pipe on it and some chip installed to make it work better. And yeah the mirrors are great.

Only thing I have to do is cut the throttle grip. PO put oury grips on which are nice but the throttle one is too long and causes the throttle to stick sometimes

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The ECU is in the tail, you can take the cover off and it will usually say what kinda chip is on it. Mine had the same pipe and came with the Aprilia kit chip:

Stock chips say RP58, iirc.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Razzled posted:

It's a good way to get shot in the face with a shotgun in the south

Edit: so I did a thing today

That's awesome! Really like the color/body lines.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BlackMK4 posted:

The ECU is in the tail, you can take the cover off and it will usually say what kinda chip is on it. Mine had the same pipe and came with the Aprilia kit chip:

Stock chips say RP58, iirc.

Somebody spilled caramel in your ecu bro

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla

Razzled posted:

Well, do yourself a favor and don't ride a 1290 Superduke... your opinion might change.

But yeah, Tuono's are pretty drat good. +1 on the Gabro chip; mine had the Evo Titanium chip and it was poo poo.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Somebody spilled caramel in your ecu bro

I think that's actually burnt jizz. Classic sign. It's how Italian bikes go and it's how their owners, rest their souls, wanted them to go.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
even the PCB oozes passion

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Enjoy your Tuoldo. BlackMK4 covered the usual stuff, but keep yer eye on the brown connector.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo

quote:

VVVV I stand admonished. At the very least, I try to be very friendly when I see people, and don't trespass on places that people care, and don't tear up the land, and stay away from places that seem delicate, and stay away from making noise near homes. But also gently caress the police, kinda?

gently caress the police. but also don't tresspass ya dum dum

Squirrel Burger fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 1, 2016

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I won't trespass on private property. That's a good way to get shot even way up here in the northwest.

I will "trespass" on public land that is only closed because logging companies lobbied for it to protect the equipment they leave out there. It's a $100 ticket if you get caught and the sheriff or BLM patrol decides to write you up. I've been caught but not wrote up. Seems worth the small risk.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I pilfered chainsaw gas for my dirt bike from a logging site in the UP once.

To my credit I was like 12 yrs old, it was pouring rain, night time, I was on a kdx-80 with no headlight and i was in the middle of a huge fuckoff forest, alone, in the UP, and had pushed my bike at least a mile before I came across the logging site.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Calm down, peeps. You overestimate the level of "trespassing" I've been doing. The idea of stumbling on a meth lab and getting shot did cross my mind, though.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

To my credit I was like 12 yrs old, it was pouring rain, night time, I was on a kdx-80 with no headlight and i was in the middle of a huge fuckoff forest, alone, in the UP, and had pushed my bike at least a mile before I came across the logging site.

That sounds like an adventure, and a good story.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
$800 later, this now sits in my garage:

Likely someone's former track toy, as evidenced by the obvious dollars dropped on the suspension and other upgrades:

...here we see the NLA Fox shock and D&D slipon:

...the RaceTech forks:

...and the braided stainless steel brake lines:

It starts up easily with only minimal choke, warms up fairly quick, and doesn't have any real showstopper problems (a leaky fork seal, what appears to be a dirty main jet, and a slightly warped front rotor), and all the plastics are intact save for a few small paint chips and a little scuff on the left side tail. Also didn't get a good pic of them, but it also has the NRC case covers; someone dropped serious coin on this at one point.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 1, 2016

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Man I love those things. 600?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Man I love those things. 600?

Yeah.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Very nice. $800 makes me weep.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
That front fairing and the fat tail. :dong:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

HotCanadianChick posted:

Likely someone's former track toy, as evidenced by the obvious dollars dropped on the suspension and other upgrades:

...the RaceTech forks:

It starts up easily with only minimal choke, warms up fairly quick, and doesn't have any real showstopper problems (a leaky fork seal, what appears to be a dirty main jet, and a slightly warped front rotor), and all the plastics are intact save for a few small paint chips and a little scuff on the left side tail. Also didn't get a good pic of them, but it also has the NRC case covers; someone dropped serious coin on this at one point.

eight hundred dollars? or did you miss a zero?

:krad: as gently caress

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That's right at the top of my fat old bike collector list.

Face like a pug.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

That's right at the top of my fat old bike collector list.

Face like a pug.

I always thought it looked like Sonic the Hedgehog.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

HotCanadianChick posted:

...the RaceTech forks:

drat, nice find. The plastics alone are worth $500. There's a 95 YZF that's been on my local CL for a while that's been tempting me. It looks like this:

:krad: indeed, but I'm not sure even a 80s/90s kid like me is ready for a blue/purple/pink/orange biek.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That FZR is amazing, holy poo poo!!

Coydog posted:

That sounds like an adventure, and a good story.

Its my "Well, at least this isnt as bad as that time I got stuck in the UP" story for when I feel like I'm hosed while riding in the rain or something.

I've told it a couple times before, but I love telling it, so here goes some :words:. Buckle up, or TL;DR, I got hosed in the forest in the UP.

My family is from the UP (Upper Peninsula of Michigan, for those not familiar). The UP is known for being densely forested and very sparsely populated. Their largest city, Marquette, has a population of 21,000, to put it in perspective. Anyway, my family had a shared cabin up in the Haiawatha Forest, right in the middle of it. My parents and I would go up every summer, and my dad and I would ride the single track and two rut roads all day long.

The forest was dense, and sparsely populated enough that you could ride from sun up to sun down and never see another person. If you saw police presence, you could be fairly certain that someone had died. Fuel was always a concern, as there weren't gas stations every thousand feet like in an actual city, so my Dad and I would either plan our rides around returning to the local gas station, or we would bring fuel with us.

One night, while we were visiting my cousin and his family, who actually live in the Hiawatha(!), my cousin and I decided that we should go for a ride. I was maybe 12 or 13 at the time, and he was a year older than me. For some reason our parents decided this was an OK idea (it was the early 90's, is the only thing I can come up with). My cousin had a Suzuki TS-125, which, being a 70's Suzuki 2-stroke dual-sport, ran great despite his total lack of maintenance or care for it. I had a mid-80's Kawasaki KDX-80, which was an actual dirt bike, so that meant a small gas tank with no reserve, no headlight, and no road gear whatsoever.

We set out just after dinner time, which gave us plenty of light left in the summer. The UP is in Eastern time, but the Hiawatha is very close to the Central time zone line, so its essentially Central time day light with Eastern time on the clocks. This meant that it was at least driveably light out until 10:30 or so in the summer. We gassed up from the giant fuel tank that my cousins family had on-site (remember the lack of gas stations?), dumped some random amount of 2-stroke oil in the tank (as was the fashion at the time) and took off for some trails.

My cousin was intimately familiar with all of the trails in a 20 mile radius or so of his house, unfortunately, I was not. The first couple of hours went fine, I had to work to keep up with him, since he knew the trails, but overall it wasn't bad. We were probably half way through our remaining daylight, when a storm rolled in, darkening things up significantly. Along with the lack of light came torrential rain. The rain slowed us down significantly, as the trails became slick and tough to navigate. As it got darker, my cousin became harder to keep up with, as I couldn't really see the trail in front of me, and I was behind him. Finally, I dumped my bike on God knows what in the trail and that was it, he didnt see me go down, I had no horn, not that it would have mattered, between the rain on our helmets and the sound of his bike I doubt he would have heard me.

Being teenagers, we were more panicked about getting in trouble than watching out for each other, so he carried on, assuming I was behind him. He rounded a corner ahead and disappeared into the forest. It was well and truly dark at this point, and I had a downed, stalled bike sitting in slick mud. I wrestled with the bike for a while getting it back up. It was pouring out, which, combined with my muddy boots made kickstarting difficult. I got it going however, and tried to continue on. With no light pollution from nearby cities, and no moon or star light due to the cloud cover, it was pitch black. I was down to navigating the trail based on what I could see during lightning strikes, which were thankfully (and terrifyingly) frequent.

After what felt like miles of this, but was probably more like a half mile given my speed at the time, I ran out of gas. So there I was, stuck in the dark with no gas on a bike I had to try to push through mud. So thats what I did, I started pushing. I had no other choice. Cell phones and GPS were the size of suitcases at this time, and were for CEO's to put in their limousines and the military to put in their trucks, respectively, not for kids to run on their dirtbikes, so pushing was my only option.

I pushed the bike for a long time, again, what felt like forever, still navigating by lightning strike. Finally I came upon a clearing that I was able to identify as a logging site. I parked my bike, and walked up to the first truck I saw. It was open, because it was the 90's and the UP, apparently, thankfully the bed lamp came on when the door opened. In the bed were a couple of chainsaws. I figured they had to be two strokes of some sort and mixture, and at this point I didnt really care what was in them as long as it made my bike run, so I pushed my bike up to the truck, hopped in the bed, grabbed both of the saws, and proceeded to fill my tank to the absolute brim by dumping them upside down into my tank. Sorry logging company, hopefully one of the other trucks had gas cans for the saws, or its a long ride back to get fuel for them. I put the saws back in the truck, and went back to try to start my bike.

Now kicking a cold bike in the rain and mud was even tougher. It didnt want to start, and I couldnt tell if it was because of the gas, or if water had gotten somewhere it shouldnt, or what. I had to try to bump start it with basically zero traction. I put it in 5th gear, got the best (worst) running start I could, hopped on the bike and popped the clutch. Nothing. I tried this a few more times, and still nothing. My only option at this point was to try to run along the trail with it in 5th, hoping it would fire. So I ran along the trail, in the pitch black, in a torrential downpour, in slick rear end mud, with a dirtbike in 5th gear, slowing me down even more. I did this for as long as I could, sawing on the throttle, choke on, choke off, anything I could think of to get it to fire.

That still didnt work, and at that point, I stopped to catch my breath and weigh my options. I was exhausted, sweating, and cold. My best bet might be to go back to the trucks, wait the storm out inside one, and try again when there is sunlight tomorrow. But what about my parents and cousin? I had no idea where he was, he could be home getting reamed out for leaving me, he could be in the same situation as I am right now, or worse. I didnt know what to do. My parents I was sure were panicking, and waiting till morning might mean that a DNR search vehicle finds me which was sure to make things worse for me, parent-wise.

So at the time, I determined my best option was to continue on doing what I was doing. I got up, ran with the bike again, and tried to bump start it again. It didnt go. I finally decided to just run as far as I could trying to bump start it, I had no plan B. After running for a few minutes it finally started to pop and kick to life, and eventually fired back up. With the bike running, I could at least make decent progress. I continued slowly down the trail, navigating by lightning strike. After a while of this, I came to a cross trail that was actually marked. Marked trails meant you had at least a fractionally tiny slim chance of seeing someone else, as opposed to a 0 chance, as you did on unmarked trails. I decided to head down the marked trail, for starters it was wider, and in slightly better shape, so this meant I stood less of a chance of going off, I figured I would take that bet.

I rode that for a while until I saw light that actually didnt come from a lightning strike. It was a headlight, and coming towards me! I got off my bike to make sure that whoever it was saw me. Waving my arms like a fool, the light got closer until I could hear that it was a two stroke engine, likely my cousins. Turns out I was right, and he had discovered that I went missing way too far down the trail, after a couple turns onto different trails and didnt know where I came off, or even really which trails to backtrack onto. After yell-thanking him for stopping, I made him promise to check for me every 10 seconds at least, and we took off for home.

We arrived home a bit after midnight. Fully expecting the worst, I braced myself as we walked into the house. My cousins parents commented that we were pretty late, mine seemed equally as unconcerned, stating they figured we found something to do, and they knew my cousin knew his way around the forest.

It wasnt until much later that I actually told them the truth, after I figured the statute of limitations on cousin-grounding had cleared for his parents.

And THAT is why, when I get stuck in bad weather on the bike, I think "well, at least this isnt the UP"

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 1, 2016

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

THIS IS AWESOME

Kudos on your resourceful and determined response to that. I can't imagine the terror of having to navigate a forest in the middle of nowhere by intermittent lightning strikes. :stare: That was a gripping tale to read, thank you.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Wowzers :eyepop: Congrats on managing to not die/get a bollocking from your parents!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Great story!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Rad campfire tale. Seems like one of those that really sucks while you're experiencing it, but once you're home, it's like "holy poo poo that was amazing".

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It was. I knew as soon as it was over that since I didn't die or get injured, that it was awesome

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Wowzers :eyepop: Congrats on managing to not die/get a bollocking from your parents!

The bolded part is by far the most critical.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

After a month of not riding; feels good man.

its also time to consider going from a 424 to 470.

Knee was still a little too swollen for my suit but didnt loving care.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

cursedshitbox posted:

Who gives a poo poo what he rides or does. atleast he does both. Post yo drat bikes!

I'm sorry little buddy. I'll be back soon, I promise.

Love the C-Train livery on the shed.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Chris Knight posted:

Love the C-Train livery on the shed.

*googles* hahah holy poo poo.

Some shed indeed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Holy poo poo that is the coolest camper I have ever seen.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

CSB, please tell me that there is somewhere on the bus where a ramp comes out and you can ride up it. Preferably on the back. Preferably while the bus is at speed.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Right now theres 2 ways to get a bike inside. soon to be just one though. I've a project thread for it in automotive insanity

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Cool bikes in front of an even cooler utiliRV. Nice to have a place to park your bike on trips. And do the repairs in when something breaks.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Okay, let's try this again from the top...

A replacement for the 821 Stripe that I had stolen in December. Not a bad deal really, 7 months old with 700 miles on it (:rolleyes: Ducati owners, amirite?), £8k including fitting some extra security so hopefully I keep hold of this one for more than 4 months.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Okay, let's try this again from the top...

A replacement for the 821 Stripe that I had stolen in December. Not a bad deal really, 7 months old with 700 miles on it (:rolleyes: Ducati owners, amirite?), £8k including fitting some extra security so hopefully I keep hold of this one for more than 4 months.

Pretty ride. Good luck keeping this one. Did you buy the Ducati alarm system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Skreemer posted:

Pretty ride. Good luck keeping this one. Did you buy the Ducati alarm system?

Nah, because it's not Thatcham-approved (a scheme run by British insurers to certify security systems) and so doesn't get me a discount on my insurance.