Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

Ranching also increases the price of artisan goods. Artisan goods are your actual money maker, via honey and jams and so on.

I figure by the time I manage to build all the artisan machines for constant production I won't feel so cash poor.

I ran out of hops about half way into winter and now I am making wines and they seem to take much longer to ferment, naturally. Still, I like the idea of converting my little bit of everything farm into a wine and cheese luxury vineyard.

I like how multi-use things like the preserves jar and keg can be(going to cross my fingers and try putting honey in the keg come spring). Was a little disappointed I built this oil machine and couldn't figure out what to do with it, I guess there are actual truffles and these mushrooms in my cave won't work? Can I get olive trees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What do ghosts do?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What do ghosts do?

So far as I can tell "get bounced backwards 30 feet annoyingly" and "die eventually"

I'm not sure one has ever hit me. You can seriously mine a rock or two between attacks vs them.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Neon Knight posted:

I guess there are actual truffles and these mushrooms in my cave won't work? Can I get olive trees

Gotta have pigs to find truffles and make truffle oil. No olive trees, sorry to say.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
So can I date all 10 people before actually deciding who to marry, or is the dating flag itself a one time thing?

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy
I tried giving the mermaid pendant to Harvey, but it ended up being placed on the ground, and he bumped into it enough times for it to break. The dude who sold it hasn't been back since. Did I permanently gently caress up? I'm still in the first year so restarting isn't a big deal.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What do ghosts do?

More importantly, what is the solar essence they drop for?

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Leal posted:

Shane hits very close to home for me. Why isn't there a bromance option where he and I can be totally platonic bros with fistbumps and playing video games?

"I hear ya man. You think Joja retail sucks? I worked at corporate. Assholes had a camera tracking your motion metrics right in the cube."

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

More importantly, what is the solar essence they drop for?

Essences are a component in the best bomb

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Stool Sample posted:

I tried giving the mermaid pendant to Harvey, but it ended up being placed on the ground, and he bumped into it enough times for it to break. The dude who sold it hasn't been back since. Did I permanently gently caress up? I'm still in the first year so restarting isn't a big deal.

The love sailor will be back every time it rains. Also Harvey is a catch, lock it down asap.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Oenis posted:

That's because she is, isn't she?

Ya, I was saying that this is the was the only parent-child pair that looked right to me.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
q!=e

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I keep meaning to write little blurbs for this thread on each of the professions or a "just starting out" guide but in my free time I just play the game and my work is almost literally Joja Corp.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I finally managed to mod the time a bit slower and I'm it's everything I dreamed of :kimchi: Now I can dillydally, do a bit of fishing, eat some delicious home-cooked food to keep my energy up, talk to people, water my plants, all in a days work.

Quick question; I plan on making an apple orchard, do you have to sow the seeds at the beginning of a season or will they live through a change? It's almost winter and I heard they'll still grow during winter but I'm not sure if the fall->winter change will kill them off.

e: also, I just got a scene in Pam and Penny's trailer and it hit way too close to home :smith:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Your Computer posted:

I finally managed to mod the time a bit slower and I'm it's everything I dreamed of :kimchi: Now I can dillydally, do a bit of fishing, eat some delicious home-cooked food to keep my energy up, talk to people, water my plants, all in a days work.

Quick question; I plan on making an apple orchard, do you have to sow the seeds at the beginning of a season or will they live through a change? It's almost winter and I heard they'll still grow during winter but I'm not sure if the fall->winter change will kill them off.

e: also, I just got a scene in Pam and Penny's trailer and it hit way too close to home :smith:

trees aren't affected by the season other than fruit trees fruiting during certain ones. they take 28 days to fully grow for a reason

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I fixed the mine carts earlier and woah, also the sturgeon is the biggest jerk fish

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Love everything about this, with the sole exception of the buzzing insect noise in the summer. It sounds like flies around a corpse. :gerty:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Zerilan posted:

So can I date all 10 people before actually deciding who to marry, or is the dating flag itself a one time thing?

date everyone no regrets

re: ranching, basically the only way it can work right now is if you clear your land very early and use a lot of grass starters similarly early. you need most of your unused land growing grass to create a sufficient amount of fodder for your livestock by winter, and even then it is going to be close. there's no 'oh well maybe i'll just cut a little -' no, motherfucker. you do not cut grass until it has completely taken over at least a 3x3 area and has nowhere else to go. that's the only way that poo poo works. you think that nice little patch of grass you've got is enough? spoilers, it isn't. you want a goddamn tallgrass prairie out there and gently caress yes it will be a colossal pain in your dick or dick analog to make sure nothing is interfering with your hobo lawn.

realistically you should be getting hay * your sickle level or something, to actually give you a reason to upgrade the loving thing.

anyway, with how things are programmed right now, ranching is basically a second year thing all around. i've written off getting a coop until the second spring, and a barn until later. crops can be automated, much more easily than you might think. animals just aren't working correctly right now.

Your Computer posted:

Is this the .exe mods that I saw in that one offsite thread? Those seemed kinda cool

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 1, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

M42 posted:

Love everything about this, with the sole exception of the buzzing insect noise in the summer. It sounds like flies around a corpse. :gerty:

as someone who lives in the south it's a very fitting noise during the summer. i also like the pseudo-deserty music going on during that season! so far the majority of the soundwork has been great.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I kind of miss the old SNES Harvest Moon grass which you'd plant and then when it got cut or eaten it would just regrow eventually. I didn't clear-cut my field or anything but I did set myself back quite a bit of hay and grass I didn't need to lose.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
PSA: If you find a Rainbow Shell on the beach, DON'T sell it. You're gonna need it for something later, and I haven't seen another one since I found the first two seasons ago.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 1, 2016

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I threw in a suggestion to make grass growth faster or at least make animals not completely destroy grass when they eat it, like in Harvest Moon. I always enjoy keeping a ton of animals in these games, which is why I'm sad it's not really viable.

Johnny Joestar posted:

as someone who lives in the south it's a very fitting noise during the summer. i also like the pseudo-deserty music going on during that season! so far the majority of the soundwork has been great.

Yeah, mosquitoes are loving everywhere, so I felt right at home.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

why would anyone date Haley when she is clearly a few years away from being Pam?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Excelzior posted:

why would anyone date Haley when she is clearly a few years away from being Pam?

Coolguye posted:

date everyone no regrets

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

quote:

Penny lives with her mom, Pam, in a little trailer by the river (which she finds embarrassing to be the only family in town who lives in one). While Pam is out carousing at the saloon, Penny quietly tends to her chores in the dim, stuffy room she is forced to call home.

:shepface: Are these blurbs from something, or does someone on the wiki just REALLY hate people living in trailers

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Blueberries are actually pretty drat good. They give 3 blueberries per harvest that sell at 80 each. They might be one of the most profitable summer crops if you have the cash to fill your fields with them upfront. It's also a fruit so wine/jams will up its price if you want to process it.

Note: I've only harvested the 8 I planted once so maybe I had really good rng.

Also, somehow red cabbage is worth only 100g pickled but 280g or something ridiculous not pickled.

What do I do with pigs? I have a pig, it has some hearts, but it cost 16k and has done nothing for me.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 1, 2016

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Excelzior posted:

It will be a fun few years.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Excelzior posted:

i shan't be tolerating this blatant disrespect of Pam, my spirit animal

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

grrarg posted:

It will be a fun few years.

the real solution is to date haley for a good 2 years until she really starts to fall apart from her own self-loathing and then go marry maru or abigail or leah, depending on if you're a bigger fan of science, video games, or art

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

abigail is great because she wants to go adventuring and thought it was cool when i said i'd want to visit a gnarled forest if i got a free trip anywhere

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
or you could marry not a trash tier wife and marry penny

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Khorne posted:

Blueberries are actually pretty drat good. They give 3 blueberries per harvest that sell at 80 each. They might be one of the most profitable summer crops if you have the cash to fill your fields with them upfront. It's also a fruit so wine/jams will up its price if you want to process it.

Note: I've only harvested the 8 I planted once so maybe I had really good rng.

Also, somehow red cabbage is worth only 100g pickled but 280g or something ridiculous not pickled.
basically all the summer crops that repeat are insanely good in one way or another, it is very clear that spring basically exists for you to figure out what you want to do in summer, and then you go nuts in summer and make all the money.

hence, if you want to really do spring 'optimally', you should probably focus on subsistence until your ~20 bean plants start to come in, and then use bean income to raise a few crops of 'everything else' and use those to fuel meals and gifts. just sell all the silver and gold starred stuff you get and keep the rest in a chest for preserving and cooking. use any spare time rushing down the mines with swords and cherry bombs. no serious cash is coming out of spring so your best option is to just do your best to be ready to install quality sprinklers and tons of seeds on summer 1, which will be very simple as long as you've made it to the appropriate mine level.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 2, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Coolguye posted:

Is this the .exe mods that I saw in that one offsite thread? Those seemed kinda cool

This thing! https://github.com/kevinmurphy678/Stardew_Injector

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Zerilan posted:

Replace type="Cat" with type="Dog" (case sensitive) or vice versa in the save file to change pets.

Addendum to this: the <catperson> flag is what determines the animal picture in your inventory screen.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
ONE WEIRD TRICK A FARMER DISCOVERED FOR HIGH QUALITY FISH, WILLY HATES HIM

(If you stand and fish directly in this spot, 90% of the stuff you catch will be gold star)

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

Ranching also increases the price of artisan goods. Artisan goods are your actual money maker, via honey and jams and so on.

I'm confused. Ranching or Tiller gives Artisan? http://stardewvalleywiki.com/Skills According to that it should be Tiller but I could have sworn the advice I saw in the thread was that it got switched to Rancher? :(

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Artisan Goods from Animal Products is Rancher, is 10%, and obtained at level 5

Artisan Goods from Non-Animal Sources is Tiller, is 50%, and obtained at level 10

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Emalde posted:

ONE WEIRD TRICK A FARMER DISCOVERED FOR HIGH QUALITY FISH, WILLY HATES HIM

(If you stand and fish directly in this spot, 90% of the stuff you catch will be gold star)

I think it's just related to your fishing skill. 90% of the stuff I catch now at skill 10 is gold no matter where I fish.

Edit:

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 2, 2016

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Broken Cog posted:

I think it's just related to your fishing skill. 90% of the stuff I catch now at skill 10 is gold no matter where I fish.

I'm fishing level 6 and using a fiberglass rod.

Also, this is what I was talking about with the slime hutch:

Click on it and it becomes slime balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the fact that you are wearing a hockey mask as she says this makes it a lot better