Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

My favorite part of the psychic phase is when the other guy is running psykers and you're not, so you just throw all your dice down at once to cock-block him on whatever bullshit he's trying to cast. It rarely works but it's real fuckin' funny when it does.

Joke's on you--I failed anyways and perils'd!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I don't think psychic powers have really ever been well done. Codex-specific powers were mostly lame and any chump with a psychic hood being able to stop powers half the time was dumb. Random powers are extremely stupid though, and are obviously terrible at balancing trees with one or two good powers. It's also pretty lame that two of the trees have basically nothing in them worth taking.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Again, the original question was about bringing new players into the game. If you spent 10 minutes trying to describe the nuance of multi-edition differences in psychic abilities to a new player their eyes would gloss over and they'd lose interest immediately.

Keeping things light, and focusing on the selling points is what is going to get the hooks in. 40k has those, but as illustrated in the last page of the thread, the good and cool stuff is superficial, because once you get into the nuance, poo poo goes to hell. People in this thread are real good at arguing the nuance, but as has been seen in the last 20 or so pages here, any time a goon pops in with the "hey guys, I used to play back in the 90s and I sort of want to come back to the game" the general responses are negative - "game's broken, eldar are bullshit, play super casual with friends or avoid."

I'm not disagreeing with a single point that was referenced here. But coming from having played the game for a couple years now, I'm all bitter veteran'd up. If I was passionate enough about the game to volunteer my time to get new players interested in it, I'd leave the nuance at the door. Just focus on making sure that new players know that there's 500 ways to take advantage of really poorly written rules, so play with friends for fun and enjoy, lest you stare directly into the darkness of trying to make sense of the rules, because the darkness stares back and it's more retarded than any one man can grok.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
The psychic phase is one of those things that could have been awesome, because magic space wizardry is awesome.
But you need to jump through so many hoops and you can't simplify the process because every phase is random as gently caress, leaving it as a boring, annoying moment of the game.

I'm honestly worried about what that drat thing will do to the Thousand Sons.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
And then there's stuff that's balanced around access to specific powers without even always guaranteeing that access, like how the only anti-air stuff Harlequins get is maybe a Nova power from one of the three disciplines they can access, Tyranids being intended to use Warp Lance as a vehicle popper (yeah sure man that'll take you far) and similar. Half the issue is just that Witchfires have one more point of failure that other powers don't for no real reason.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

panascope posted:

I don't think psychic powers have really ever been well done. Codex-specific powers were mostly lame and any chump with a psychic hood being able to stop powers half the time was dumb. Random powers are extremely stupid though, and are obviously terrible at balancing trees with one or two good powers. It's also pretty lame that two of the trees have basically nothing in them worth taking.

I didn't mind 3rd's use of them. The Witchfire abilities were clunky, the psychic test should been the hit roll as well but it never felt like they slowed the game down.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Rulebook Heavily posted:

And then there's stuff that's balanced around access to specific powers without even always guaranteeing that access, like how the only anti-air stuff Harlequins get is maybe a Nova power from one of the three disciplines they can access, Tyranids being intended to use Warp Lance as a vehicle popper (yeah sure man that'll take you far) and similar. Half the issue is just that Witchfires have one more point of failure that other powers don't for no real reason.

Part of the challenge there is that most witchfire powers don't feel any different from shooting, so they are just shooting attacks that can be negated and are harder to get off (without a huge power tradeoff to make up for it). They really need to be more distinguished in terms of how they work in order to create a clear distinction. This can be relatively simple stuff, such as having witchfire powers ignore invulnerable saves (but not armor or cover saves), which can offset some of the additional hassle of casting them and make "magic" attacks be mechanically distinct from physical attacks.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I didn't mind 3rd's use of them. The Witchfire abilities were clunky, the psychic test should been the hit roll as well but it never felt like they slowed the game down.

Psychic powers were fine in 3rd/4th but also pretty "blah."

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I would just emphasize that this is a game about cool models doing cool stuff to your opponent's (less) cool models, and that the game is a framework to tell cool stories, not unlike D&D in that regard. To get new players in I'd just give them a Tactical squad and have them fight some Ork boyz or whatever. If they have fun, they'll probably enjoy the full game so long as they're not getting stomped by netlists or whatever.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

SRM posted:

I've been emailing them at sales2@krmulticase.co.uk and gotten a response within 24 hours usually. I use the F3 tray for my Terminators, the fit is snug and you might have to have them alternating between up and down but generally it works pretty well. If you want a lot of space the SM47 is probably the way to go though.

Ok, good to know.

Ghost Hand posted:

We don't have a referral link. Agree with SRM above - just email that sales address. For Terminators - especially Assault Terminators that have weapons swinging out wildly, what I personally use is the bike trays. They take up more space but they really do protect them well and I can use them for bikes as well...

I was using the sales@krmulticase.co.uk address they have listed on their website with no luck...

I'll try SRM's sales2@krmulticase.co.uk. Or was that a typo?

Good call on the bikes. Overall, it would hold 3 less models than the SM47, but the extra height may be useful.

Thanks dudes.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Enentol posted:

Ok, good to know.

I was using the sales@krmulticase.co.uk address they have listed on their website with no luck...

I'll try SRM's sales2@krmulticase.co.uk. Or was that a typo?

Good call on the bikes. Overall, it would hold 3 less models than the SM47, but the extra height may be useful.

Thanks dudes.

It's sales2 on my email to them, I can't say why they didn't just call it "support" or something like that though. I'm gonna need to put in a big order with them too, Orks take up so much goddamn space.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
It's hard to get new players into this giant byzantine system when even veterans haven't an idea of what's going on these days. It's just all over the place.

If I was introducing new players, I would play 40k 'lite' or just use the AOD rules. Only troops score, no OBSEC, no formations, no unbound, no detachments, allies don't ride in transports, etc. But then we're at it again making it more complicated to get people to play something which should be simple. Maybe combat patrol? GW just isn't a customer focused company, which is the crux of it really. No easy way to get into the game and no easy way to be supported long term.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

jadebullet posted:

I am definitely enjoying the return of the IC Podcast. Thanks for using your time to entertain us again.

Question for you guys. I have started to build my cultists and I am using the pile of Forgeworld renegade torsos that I got as a core for them. I need help with the arms and weapons though. I have some Catachan and Cadian bits that I am using on some of them, but the main theme I am going for is rebelling miners, so I have some legs with coats that I will paint up as heavy coats, and some of them will have exposed arms. But I feel I need more options besides just Las weapons and knives. Does anyone know of anyone that has made pickaxe holding arms in 28mm or other improvised weaponry?

Edit: I am also trying to figure out what the best way to get autoguns is, since GW seems to not make them it seems.

Didn't see if anyone answered this but the empire flagellant box will give you lots of size-appropriate arms. They have a variety of weapons that could be used as-is or easily converted into picks, hammers, etc. I'm guessing the sprue comes with lots of extra bits so you might want to hit up the WFB thread and try and find an Empire player with some to spare.

For the autoguns, there's a few to choose from:

Anvil
Chapterhouse
Maxmini
Shapeways

Autoguns are really easy to model; as long as it's obviously not a lasgun or a bolter, you can call just about anything vaguely rifle-shaped an autogun. Googling "28mm model gun" throws up loads of results.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

SRM posted:

I would just emphasize that this is a game about cool models doing cool stuff to your opponent's (less) cool models, and that the game is a framework to tell cool stories, not unlike D&D in that regard. To get new players in I'd just give them a Tactical squad and have them fight some Ork boyz or whatever. If they have fun, they'll probably enjoy the full game so long as they're not getting stomped by netlists or whatever.

No, don't! He might decide he likes the orks instead and then you've gotta have The Conversation.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

jadebullet posted:

I am definitely enjoying the return of the IC Podcast. Thanks for using your time to entertain us again.

Question for you guys. I have started to build my cultists and I am using the pile of Forgeworld renegade torsos that I got as a core for them. I need help with the arms and weapons though. I have some Catachan and Cadian bits that I am using on some of them, but the main theme I am going for is rebelling miners, so I have some legs with coats that I will paint up as heavy coats, and some of them will have exposed arms. But I feel I need more options besides just Las weapons and knives. Does anyone know of anyone that has made pickaxe holding arms in 28mm or other improvised weaponry?

Edit: I am also trying to figure out what the best way to get autoguns is, since GW seems to not make them it seems.
I made some great looking cultists by combining Cadian bits with Kroot weaponry/extras I had lying around. Kroot rifles look fantastic for cultists. Also, they got nerfed to hell in the latest Tau codex (not complaining that the codex is weak, because ahahahaha holy poo poo no it isn't, but kroot got -1S and -1A for some reason and now they've lost all of their bite) so lots of people are selling them cheap second-hand.

Skaven bits also proved really useful: mine are all 5th/6th edition so the arms are too chunky for humans, but the weapons and extras look good with a bit of chopping.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 1, 2016

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I really love the Anvil Industries autoguns, use them on all my IG, the design is good, the sculpts are crisp and exceptionally clean.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

No, don't! He might decide he likes the orks instead and then you've gotta have The Conversation.

The only conversation this should be is about how Ork players are cool dudes who have lots of fun when they play

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

:sweatdrop: Y... yeah!

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Have any of you been involved in an Orks vs Tyranids game because seriously it's so much fun.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The vast majority of my 40k games were orks / tyranids.

It forces a really shooty ork army to compete because you can't accomplish much in close combat. If the orks are footslogging or melee focused the tyranids will tear them to pieces, but if the orks mech up a lot the tyranids have a pretty significant disadvantage. It's easy to make mismatched lists, but if no one goes overboard with anything it's a pretty fun matchup.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 1, 2016

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
So it's actually possible to make an OP Ork or Tyranid list? Just in this specific context, right?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DawnOfWar/status/704712814221463552/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Please be Dawn of War 3...

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Sir Teabag posted:

So it's actually possible to make an OP Ork or Tyranid list? Just in this specific context, right?

It's more a case of Orks and Tyranids having crippling crippling weaknesses against masses of high initiative attacks and any form of armor value, respectively.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

:gizz:

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Oh god please, the string of not awful Warhammer related games should never stop.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Pendent posted:

Ork players are cool dudes who have lots of fun when they play

Truer words have never been said.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's totally going to be a Necron lord character for Last Stand. There were linked achievements or some poo poo.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

TKIY posted:

Please be Dawn of War 3...

Well, Sega did re-register the domain for it last year...

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

It's more a case of Orks and Tyranids having crippling crippling weaknesses against masses of high initiative attacks and any form of armor value, respectively.

It's sad to me that they can mismatch in such a way against each other. :(

Oh well...

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Enentol posted:

Does anyone have any experience dealing with KR Multicase via Facebook or email? I have a few detailed questions, but every time I've tried to reach out to them I've never heard anything back.

Also, a separate KR question that someone here can probably answer:

One of the trays they recommend for Terminators (F3) is only 32mm wide... Can they actually hold terminators or am I safer going with SM47? I'm looking to hold Terminators as well as big spindly characters like Techpriests with servo arms, etc.

Go with the larger variants you will regret it if you go to small. I guy the standard size for normal Marines and regret not going one up because any pose other than you normal holding a bolter to your chest means they don't fit well.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
In case anyone missed this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl4hAD_xhn0

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Anyone going to Adepticon still need a roommate to split hotel costs with?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Looks decent enough but the moving pictures of characters reminds me of The Emperor's Text to Speech.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sorry to disappoint you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5jUX28SBnQ

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Did any of you play Homeworld: Deserts? It's like they tried to emulate the animated concept art from the Homeworld games but failed miserably (Homeworld 1, 2, and Deserts are stonking amazing, by the way).

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Ghost Hand posted:

Today marks the return of The Independent Characters Podcast. I'm committed to doing at least one more year. We will see how that goes. Hope you enjoy!

http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/?p=3720

Was great to do some painting to your podcast again. Glad you guys couldn't keep away.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Post 9-11 User posted:

Did any of you play Homeworld: Deserts? It's like they tried to emulate the animated concept art from the Homeworld games but failed miserably (Homeworld 1, 2, and Deserts are stonking amazing, by the way).

Nope. I'm just excited to use Eldar ships to jump in and out of asteroid fields throwing torpedos and bombers everywhere.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

The Dawn of War reboot better be an actual RTS. Wasn't really a fan of the zero base building mechanic they had going on in DoW2. It was fun, but didn't have much depth imo

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

jadebullet posted:

Check out Mad Robot Miniatures. Fully customizable squads for the same price as GW guard.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Thanks for the replies guys. I really appreciate it.

In other news, the water effects have finally dried on the base of my latest model. This is actually the model that inspired me to build my Chaos Space Marine Army. I am most likely going to run it as my Dark Apostle, based on the fluff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Hixson posted:

The Dawn of War reboot better be an actual RTS. Wasn't really a fan of the zero base building mechanic they had going on in DoW2. It was fun, but didn't have much depth imo

It had more depth than dow1, in the multi at least. Way more dependent on countering enemies build orders and taking advantage of unit abilities at the right time, along with awareness of the map and the status of all your units to minimize losses through retreat.

Cover too, very important, because I think it wasn't directional in Dawn of War 1, just a flat bonus.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 2, 2016

• Locked thread