Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Austin would win for Gringo fancy tacos, San Antonio would be ahead in slightly more traditional tacos. But all would be crushed under the cowboy boot of the Rio Grande Valley and it's no bullshit taco supremacy. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Did you update your address with the county clerk? If not, (commit fraud) and vote in Collin county.

I didn't think to since I was moving out of the state before the general election and didn't think the primary season was going to be so pants on head crazy. Also, I don't think it is fraud since I am a white man.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
The Corpus Christi psychotic Right Wing Evangelical contingent seem to be all in for Cruz, based on the evidence of my facebook feed. It's absolutely delicious and I spend my social media time these days reveling in their sweet tears.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

new Texas Monthly cover is amazing. I cut it off immediately and stuck it on my fridge

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Jiro posted:

Austin would win for Gringo fancy tacos, San Antonio would be ahead in slightly more traditional tacos. But all would be crushed under the cowboy boot of the Rio Grande Valley and it's no bullshit taco supremacy. :getin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF0JCB24Ld8

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
I'm a college student, and basically everyone but That One Kid seem to be feeling the Bern.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I got what I think are the first federal level political ads I've ever seen during the Oscars today. Of course it was a "vote for Hillary on Super Tuesday" ad, narrated by Morgan Freeman.

I think it was a variant on this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iDRu2q2cRw

computer parts fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 29, 2016

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

blue squares posted:

new Texas Monthly cover is amazing. I cut it off immediately and stuck it on my fridge

The article for it is pretty good, too. Most of the time Old Austin talking about how the city used to be comes off as insufferable in the same way as some people see current Austin talking about how much better it is than the rest of Texas. The author here managed to have a bit of a broader perspective, though.

quote:

It was, fittingly, a start-up that helped make Austin what it is today: Twitter, which came to SXSW in 2007. It had officially launched a few months earlier, but at SXSW the company unleashed a full-scale marketing blitz, setting up flat-screen TVs all over the convention center and signing up attendees. Soon they were tweeting about things like where to go for dinner, and before long, everyone was checking their smartphones to see what everyone else was doing. It was the beginning of a new age, and both the city and SXSW would never be the same. The next year the conference saw a huge jump in registrants, from venture capitalists to people involved in things like start-ups and apps: the culture of the new. SXSW wasn’t just reflecting the world, it was changing it. Every March the city was becoming the place to be for anyone doing anything cool and creative. But it was also the place for college kids on spring break who wanted to have a good time. Celebrities started coming—to perform (Justin Timberlake) or to hype start-ups they’d invested in (Leonardo DiCaprio)—and so did giant companies like Google, Doritos, and Nokia, which took over downtown parking lots or entire streets and set up lavish unofficial shows and marketing “experiences,” like a 62-foot-tall vending-machine stage. - See more at: http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/austin-and-the-city-of-the-eternal-boom/#disqus_thread

Twitter breaking out during SXSWi is definitely one of those turning points for the city. I think that when my generation is old and looking back at things, we'll see it the same way the current Old Austin sees Willie Nelson moving to town.

Firstkind
Apr 10, 2015

by 2017 exmarx
I am surprised Texas democrats polling is showing such a huge support for Hilary over Sanders.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/tx/texas_democratic_presidential_primary-4158.html

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Firstkind posted:

I am surprised Texas democrats polling is showing such a huge support for Hilary over Sanders.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/tx/texas_democratic_presidential_primary-4158.html

Why?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Firstkind posted:

For context she campaigned in the Rio Grande Valley for McGovern and Bill Clinton and Ann Richards were friends after being liberal governors of southern states at the same time.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I'm curious - does anyone here know how bilingual ballots in Texas are mailed out to select people? Is it purely by last name or are there some algorithms behind it too? I have a Vietnamese last name and while I've never indicated on any material anywhere that I have limited proficiency in English, I got a bilingual English-Vietnamese mail-in ballot for the primary. I don't think I got a bilingual one in 2012 and during the 2014 midterms I voted in person. My district is 2/3rds Hispanic.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Zwabu posted:

What are you all hearing around Texas as far as sentiment for the Presidential candidates? Any friends and neighbors who want to Make America Great Again?

A lot of rabid Cruz fans?

I've heard some negative sentiments expressed against Cruz by some very conservative people which surprised me.

My mom is in for Rubio. Every Democrat I know over 29 is going for Hillary, every person I know under 29 is going for Bernie.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I'm curious - does anyone here know how bilingual ballots in Texas are mailed out to select people? Is it purely by last name or are there some algorithms behind it too? I have a Vietnamese last name and while I've never indicated on any material anywhere that I have limited proficiency in English, I got a bilingual English-Vietnamese mail-in ballot for the primary. I don't think I got a bilingual one in 2012 and during the 2014 midterms I voted in person. My district is 2/3rds Hispanic.

It depends entirely on your county clerk. Your county's elections are handled by the county clerk, and each county's clerk does things a little bit differently. (This is why there are different voting machines depending on which county you're in.)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
It also depends on whether or not your local government is conservative enough to try not to give bilingual stuff out without being asked to try to keep people from voting

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Harris county, Texas 29th. It was weird to me because I hadn't gotten a bilingual ballot in 2012.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Harris county, Texas 29th. It was weird to me because I hadn't gotten a bilingual ballot in 2012.

It could have to do with this guy being the County Clerk. He has seen things.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Jiro posted:

I'm from the valley and curious, what places do you recommend? Never really tried anything interesting growing up (parents tended towards chain restaurants) and I've lived in Houston/San Antonio all of my adulthood.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I voted! :toot: First time I've bothered to vote in a primary. I even surprised myself by (briefly) researching the handful of local Dems on the ballot not running uncontested.

The best part of today is having tomorrow off for Texas Independence Day, so I can get hammered tonight while I watch the returns.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

FBS posted:

I voted! :toot: First time I've bothered to vote in a primary. I even surprised myself by (briefly) researching the handful of local Dems on the ballot not running uncontested.

The best part of today is having tomorrow off for Texas Independence Day, so I can get hammered tonight while I watch the returns.
Congrats (on both accounts).

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Just got back from voting. I didn't early vote like a fool. Took over 90 minutes. Only 4 machines at the polling place, 1 of which was broken, and 2 others having issues. There were times they only had 1 machine working. I watched at least a dozen people just turn around and leave after seeing the line. It was hot as hell in the school we were at as well, several elderly people needing to sit down, fan themselves to keep cool. Definitely room for improvement in the process for my precinct.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
I'd say to complain to your county clerk and get others near you to complain to, but it might be working by design.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Yeah, sounds like a feature, not a bug. Depending on your area, of course.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Just voted. Straight Republican ticket, which is just the way my district likes it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

ReidRansom posted:

Yeah, I mentioned that to the lady I was standing to next in line. We were discussing how we can do so many things online, most even from a smart phone app these days, but we can't have a modern method of voting. I told her there are some people that like to keep it difficult to vote instead of making it easier.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I couldn't even find the voting machines where I normally vote. Oh well, it's just a primary and I might not even be in Texas in the fall.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
... did you ask an election official where they were?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

ReidRansom posted:

This.

You cab schlep your way in to any voting location, right?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

thatdarnedbob posted:

... did you ask an election official where they were?

There weren't any around that I could see.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

I couldn't even find the voting machines where I normally vote. Oh well, it's just a primary and I might not even be in Texas in the fall.

Primary voting locations and your standard election voting location may be different. https://teamrv-mvp.sos.texas.gov/MVP/mvp.do

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Although I early voted two weeks ago, and we have a thing here where you can just go vote at any location, I did get a text from some Sanders volunteer reminding me to vote and telling me where to go based on my address. That was nice of them. Because I basically only respond to texts.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

citybeatnik posted:

You cab schlep your way in to any voting location, right?

Only during early voting, and only inside the same county you're registered in. On election day, you have your assigned precinct, and in general these aren't the same as any early voting locations.

computer parts - If you didn't see any election workers, voting machines, election signage or other signals that you were at a place where you would vote, it is likely that you weren't at your polling place at all. But it doesn't sound like you're too invested in casting a ballot today so I guess I'll leave it at that?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Got to my polling location right at 7 this morning and faced a sizable line right at the get-go. Up ahead, I heard a voice calling if you are voting democratic to walk the death march past everyone to the front where at the time there was no line at all. There were 4 machines for the "Democrat" side and 12 on the "Republic" side, and once I was finished there was a grade-a goon waiting by himself at a table near the exit who asked me "if I was interested in hearing about the Republican party".

loving weird and a slightly uncomfortable experience.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I've gotten 15 facebook messages in the past 24 hours from people I have mutuals with telling me to vote for sanders. Almost gives me hope that it'll happen.

e: I don't think I've ever voted on election day. The stuff I'm hearing sounds nightmarish.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

thatdarnedbob posted:

Only during early voting, and only inside the same county you're registered in. On election day, you have your assigned precinct, and in general these aren't the same as any early voting locations.

the VoteTravis website still says it's anywhere in the county for today. You can understand my confusion.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

UT campus, what the gently caress. Early voting has been available for two weeks and took me less than five minutes to do. And now people are standing a line that will take two hours at the least. This is democracy

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
Travis county turnout is doing all right, but not great.

quote:

***TRAVIS COUNTY VOTER TURNOUT UPDATE***
As of 3:00pm 52,949 (8.2%) people have voted so far today for a total vote turnout of 145,940 (22.7%). It appears that at this point about 7,600 people are voting per hour. Long lines have been reported at many polling locations. 227,778 (40.9%) voted in the 2008 primary. Anyone who is in line by 7:00pm will be allowed to vote.

Have a friend in Killeen saying his polling location was almost out of Democratic ballots.

citybeatnik posted:

the VoteTravis website still says it's anywhere in the county for today. You can understand my confusion.

Also, if you are in Travis county you can vote at any Travis county polling place on election day. (It used to only be that way for early voting, but they changed it as of the last off-year election.) Since we use the electronic ballots they don't have to worry about having the correct paper ballot for your precinct at the polling place.

NOTE: This applies to Travis county only. You have to check with your specify county to know the full deal.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Bushiz posted:

I've gotten 15 facebook messages in the past 24 hours from people I have mutuals with telling me to vote for sanders. Almost gives me hope that it'll happen.

I've gotten one of these from someone I haven't spoken to since high school. I'm assuming there was a mass email or something from the campaign asking them to do it.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
I'm Houston, my primary location was different than the general, but the Republican Precinct that was voting there also had its Democrats moved to a different location. All I can think is that if the Party is footing the bill, they combine as many precincts as possible based on estimated turnout, which is causing a huge mess and confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Went to my Travis Co. polling location (an elementary school) after work tonight and a friend at the front of the line told me he was waiting 45 mins, and the line was longer when I got there than when he did. The line filled a long hallway, took a 90 deg turn and continued down another hallway. Had to be at least an hour wait. I've stood in long lines to vote before, and survived the '08 prima-caucus, but frankly, for this primary, I just don't care that much. Usually I early-vote but I hosed up this time.