Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

I am trying one based in the Netherlands, but streaming seems to be jerky, and I can't get sickbeard and sabznd to work together, something on their end is preventing it from working well and their support has been worse than useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I guess I'm not seeing the advantage of hosting a plex server outside your house. Maybe you guys don't have monthly download caps, but I do, and doing lots of netflix streaming was enough to hit it. I imagine it would be similar for lots of outside-your-network plex watching.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bobulus posted:

I guess I'm not seeing the advantage of hosting a plex server outside your house. Maybe you guys don't have monthly download caps, but I do, and doing lots of netflix streaming was enough to hit it. I imagine it would be similar for lots of outside-your-network plex watching.

If I was limited I'd definitely keep my server internally, but I currently have unlimited and, at least for now, this makes the most sense. It's definitely a "your mileage may vary" thing.

EDIT to elaborate, I also had significant issues during the summer due to power draw fighting with air conditioning units. A lot of weird gremlins can come into play if you do a dedicated server deal, although if you have an always on desktop with no real heavy usage it makes sense to just share off that.

univbee fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 26, 2016

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Bobulus posted:

Buying hardware, dealing with maintaining it, power, sticking it somewhere. As far as I can tell the minimum hardware outlay for a decent Plex server is $300 and you have to deal with feeding it power and backing it up, I would rather pay $15 a month for someone else to deal with that bullshit, it's why my data is backed up to Google Drive instead of buying a cheap hard drive.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It sounds a neat idea, especially if you can stream to your home at full pelt and maybe share with a few friends, but based on the price for just a 1TB setup... I'm at something like 14TB at the moment and if it wasn't for a few drives dying it'd be about 20TB. I just think it'd cost me way more, sadly.

I should just have a smaller collection, I know. Too many interests all of which can be put in 1080p.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Based on all of the sites I saw that specifically will host a Plex server, they all charge a fair price but you don't get a lot of HD space and, at least based on the one I tested, not a ton of processing power. There are other companies out there that offer more space and processing power, but that starts costing a lot more money, which at that point it no longer makes financial sense to host it online.

I think I will just end up sucking it up and getting an i5 NUC, the power draw seems to be small enough that it should have a minimal impact on my power bill. Right now its not a big deal, but once temps start hitting 108 in the summer, well the A/C comes on and that will be the real test.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

It sounds a neat idea, especially if you can stream to your home at full pelt and maybe share with a few friends, but based on the price for just a 1TB setup... I'm at something like 14TB at the moment and if it wasn't for a few drives dying it'd be about 20TB. I just think it'd cost me way more, sadly.

I should just have a smaller collection, I know. Too many interests all of which can be put in 1080p.

Yeah, it's definitely an idea that can be worth considering for some, but is definitely not for everybody.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

I am wanting to get something that at least looks nice sitting on my entertainment stand and I came across this:

http://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-Sphere-...%2Cp_89%3AZOTAC

Seems like it would work pretty well, I don't see anything that stands out that would make it terrible.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Mode 7 Samurai posted:

I am wanting to get something that at least looks nice sitting on my entertainment stand and I came across this:

Seems like it would work pretty well, I don't see anything that stands out that would make it terrible.

You can get NUCs with newer parts than what's in that for the same price, but there's nothing wrong with it if you like the look.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mode 7 Samurai posted:

That bulbous thing looks weird imo. Just get a current-gen NUC like Krailor suggested.

[edit] Here's a slim NUC with a Core i3-6100U that comes with a 120GB M.2 SSD and 4GB of RAM for under $400 http://www.amazon.com/Intel-BOXNUC6i3SYK-Core-i3-6100U-120GB/dp/B01AMT0G7K/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1456645120&sr=8-9&keywords=Core+i3+NUC

teagone fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Feb 28, 2016

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

That seems like the most traditional method but I want to be able to put a 2TB hard drive in it, and all of these NUC's only take the M.2 hard drives, and I dont really want to use an external drive.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Mode 7 Samurai posted:

That seems like the most traditional method but I want to be able to put a 2TB hard drive in it, and all of these NUC's only take the M.2 hard drives, and I dont really want to use an external drive.

Uhhhh... the one I linked to literally has '2.5-inch drive support' in its name.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Krailor posted:

Uhhhh... the one I linked to literally has '2.5-inch drive support' in its name.

Oh, I didn't see that one, I was looking at the one directly above my last post.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Think the Raspberry Pi 3 can handle 1080p transcoding? https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-on-sale/

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Here's hoping. I wouldn't mind moving my server over to a rPi.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Gonna say no to most, if not all 1080 content on that one.
You're at about second-gen netbook spec on one of those chips, and that's before you peg the chip and it throttles.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm buying a NAS for my Plex-running home media server, and had my eye on the Synology DS214play. Is there a better (and potentially less expensive) choice for my NAS options, as far as media streaming goes?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Newegg has the HP Proliant ML10 Server on sale for $189 if anyone is looking for a cheap, low power Plex Server

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2RC-001A-000R5

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Khablam posted:

Gonna say no to most, if not all 1080 content on that one.
You're at about second-gen netbook spec on one of those chips, and that's before you peg the chip and it throttles.

I recall people discussing streaming with a pi 2, but I don't recall if that included transcoding as a plex *server*.

They did upgrade the graphics capability.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 1, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Drythe posted:

Think the Raspberry Pi 3 can handle 1080p transcoding? https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-on-sale/

The Pi 3 would make an excellent Plex client. I personally don't think it's a viable solution as a Plex server.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

melon cat posted:

I'm buying a NAS for my Plex-running home media server, and had my eye on the Synology DS214play. Is there a better (and potentially less expensive) choice for my NAS options, as far as media streaming goes?

FCKGW posted:

Newegg has the HP Proliant ML10 Server on sale for $189 if anyone is looking for a cheap, low power Plex Server

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2RC-001A-000R5

This is a better deal, especially if you need it to transcode media.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just got Plex and I'm loving it so far but I have a small issue;

When I play media that is 4:3 on my tablet (Nexus 9) it zooms the content to make it fill the screen which cuts everything off. It seems to be the only client that does this any ideas?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I just checked my tablet, and plex wasn't cutting off 4x3. Play around with settings?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I can't find anything that's close to "Scale 4:3"

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

ConanThe3rd posted:

I can't find anything that's close to "Scale 4:3"

On iOS you just double tap anywhere on the video to choose full-screen vs full-frame.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

On iOS you just double tap anywhere on the video to choose full-screen vs full-frame.
Edit: it turns out that this is just a nexus 9 thing due it having some sort of wacky screen ratio that makes 4:3 look more filled out

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 1, 2016

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I don't know if you guys saw it, but on the CBS Sunday morning show they did a piece on Col Needham. They were wondering around his home theater thing and he showed told them he had a collection of 11,000 movies - when asked how he watched them he brought up a tablet with Plex.

How can I add my dvd's to Plex :smug: without breaking the copy protection and ripping them of course. I thought it was pretty cool really, but wonder if he exposed a little to much.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

porktree posted:

How can I add my dvd's to Plex :smug: without breaking the copy protection and ripping them of course. I thought it was pretty cool really, but wonder if he exposed a little to much.

That's exactly how you do it unless you want to re-buy all your movies on Amazon or something.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wasn't it deemed legally that it's kosher to have a backup of your own DVDs after years of the studios moaning?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I use the Plex App on my Fire TV. I have been doing this since my HTPC died. Is there any setting I can change to bring back the awesome screensaver that showed the time and scrolled through library art I had on my HTPC or do I have to settle for the lame PLEX logo bouncing around the screen?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Wasn't it deemed legally that it's kosher to have a backup of your own DVDs after years of the studios moaning?

Considering the recent hoopla around shutting down AnyDVD I would say that is not the case

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Backing up your own media has always been legal.

Breaking encryption to do so is not.

So you can back your DVDs but not if you have to break encryption.

A consumer would never get in trouble though, they use the laws to wield against people making the software instead.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Thank you for this, its soooo much better than the official plugin.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
If I tossed PHT on a Raspberry Pi 2, what would be the best way to control it? I'm trying to decide if I want to get another Roku to put on new home theater. Or if I toss PHT on my Pi if that would be sufficient enough.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I host my Plex server on a Synology Diskstation (specifically a 214play) with 2 3TB drives. It's a really good NAS with a great management UI, and the Plex server is now available in the Syno app repo, so it can receive updates without manually installing the .spk.

It can do a ton of poo poo in addition to being a convenient torrent/plex/time machine/etc box.

The DSM (their Management UI) demo sold me on it.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Hows it for transcoding?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

ConanThe3rd posted:

Hows it for transcoding?

The 214play probably not that good. I think you need the ds1515+ or ds1815+ to have a processor that can handle most things but not everything.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I have an 1815+ and I leave transcoding to my server that's up anyways.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, I get the impression it might be more worth my time to get a middle of the road 4 bay NAS and use my NUC (Which I'm looking to replace anyway) to transcode.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Intel NUC with Core i3-6100U and 8GB of DDR4 RAM is currently on sale at newegg for $290 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102146 Just need to throw in a hard drive and OS.

CPU should be solid enough to fully transcode (audio/video) a single 1080p stream, maybe two, if you want a tiny little Plex server to use alongside a NAS or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

How about this for a premade Plex server: http://computers.woot.com/offers/acer-aspire-tc-intel-i7-quad-core-desktop-1
i7 4790, 12 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, Win10, ~$470 shipped w/tax. (Until the end of day CST.)

I'm still reading through the thread, and just installed the Plex server installed on a decent A10 laptop, but was going to consider one of those TS140s for ~$300 shipped (i3 4130, 4 GB RAM, no HDD or OS.) I figure the ~$170 difference between the two systems is worth the massive CPU and RAM upgrade, let alone the HDD and OS which I'd need for the Lenovo anyway. I'll be swapping in an SSD for the OS drive either way I go, and if I needed an OS for the TS140 I was planning to go with Ubuntu. I'm fine with WIndows if it comes with it though; the machine will be used for Plex and Handbrake, and the i7 would be appreciated.

Is there anything wrong with that Acer that I'm missing? I'm fine with it only having 2 internal 3.5" drive bays, I don't need a ton of storage to begin with and I have plenty of external drives and other machines to host remote storage.