Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Empress Theonora posted:

If I wanted to play through the story again to refresh my memory on all this stuff, what class would be best to pick? My gut says WAR, if only so I'm not stuck waiting in queues for story dungeons, but I have no idea how they are for soloing.

I did a Gladiator/Paladin for soloing and it was great.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Quick note on this, the Armoury Bonus XP is from all non-quest sources. It's really fast.

Here's everything you'll want to do in rough order of XP given:

Low Level roulette,
Dungeons,
Fates/Leves,
Side quests (beast tribe dailies etc.)
Guildhest Roulette,
Guildhests.

I just realized I went through the entire game and never did a Guildhest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

theblackw0lf posted:

I just realized I went through the entire game and never did a Guildhest.

Sounds like you didn't need to, cause they're just expanded tutorials.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Don't forget your weekly challenge log.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Skaw posted:

Still, I might just do them, as I might pick up on a few things I didn't know.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Skaw posted:

They give an experience bonus for completion on every class. You should do them for that and the weekly challenge log if nothing else. The daily roulette experience below level 40 is amazing as well and is ok enough to justify at higher levels vs the actual amount of time invested.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

theblackw0lf posted:

Ah, my main is already a PLD, and even if having an alt at all is complely futile except for seeing the story again, having an alt of the same job feels extra futile.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Empress Theonora posted:

The idea was that both the crown and the Syndicate would cease to have political power. This was obviously easier said than done; see, everything that happened in the UI'dah storyline after this conversation. But the Ul'dah Republic wasn't just going to be the current Ul'dah except without the Sultana.

Yeah somehow I kind of doubt that the monetarists would be all "welp, there goes all our political power, see ya i guess"

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

The obvious solution was just to send the WoL to kill Lolorito since we're just weapons that get pointed at obstensibly bad guy targets. Everyone can just pretend they didn't give the order, we clearly have some kind of immunity for saving the world 200 times.

Unrelated but after clearing Midas I have determined that the right course of action is to join Quickthinx. He can put me in charge of keeping Roundrox happy and punching Mide in the face when her stupid scarred rear end shows up to meddle.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

dromal phrenia posted:

The obvious solution was just to send the WoL to kill Lolorito since we're just weapons that get pointed at obstensibly bad guy targets. Everyone can just pretend they didn't give the order, we clearly have some kind of immunity for saving the world 200 times.

"He was actually a primal" should work for a few assassinations after Shiva.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

GlitchThief posted:

Of all the losses we've discussed today, this is the most tragic.

Jean Gilpin, full stop.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Jean Gilpin, full stop.

Til sea swallows all. ; _ ;7

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah somehow I kind of doubt that the monetarists would be all "welp, there goes all our political power, see ya i guess"

Converting into a republic is supposed to undercut the power of people who control all the money... HOW, exactly?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Empress Theonora posted:

If I wanted to play through the story again to refresh my memory on all this stuff, what class would be best to pick? My gut says WAR, if only so I'm not stuck waiting in queues for story dungeons, but I have no idea how they are for soloing.

Any of the tank classes are basically easy mode for solo content. I'm also told it's basically impossible to die as a scholar.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

Converting into a republic is supposed to undercut the power of people who control all the money... HOW, exactly?

Compared to a direct oligarchy? Yeah, actually.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Any of the tank classes are basically easy mode for solo content. I'm also told it's basically impossible to die as a scholar.

The flipside is that it takes longer to kill things, which can be annoying if the enemy AI is to target your NPC allies, such as the coliseum instance battle where the enemy focuses on Alphinaud.

I can also say that MCH is arguably one of the worst soloing classes.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Seconded. Every other physical damage class has access to Second Wind, which at least adds a cushion. Only thing that MCH has going for it is if you drop your turret before activating the sparkly, it will usually draw aggro and you can peel one dude off to dismantle at your leisure. Otherwise, hope you've been levelling your chocobro.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Dumb noob question, but what am I supposed to be using Stoneskin for? A guide I'm following recommended using it as an AST, but if I throw it on the tank between battles it doesn't end up staying up for very long. I know the two aren't mutually exclusive, but Aspected Benefic is so much more useful for giving me some leeway as a healer that I don't really see the point of wasting the cast time or MP adding Stoneskin to the mix.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So I'm going back to my crafting classes now that I've finished my latest DoW to 60, and I realize I don't remember what the gently caress I'm doing. I thought to get my BSM from 58-60 and was trying to do my level 54 class quest but I can't for the life of me figure out how to make these rivets HQ. Are there general steps for getting 40 durability items HQ?

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

When I play AST, I mostly use stoneskin on the tank as the group is moving to the next pull. It's not that big of a deal, but it'll give you an extra second to dot stuff before you have to heal. As for Aspected Benefic, each tick of regen causes a little bit of agro. If you use it before a pull, and it ticks before the tank has time to flash/overpower/tag a mob some other way, that one tick will make the mob run to you.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

GlitchThief posted:

Dumb noob question, but what am I supposed to be using Stoneskin for?

If a tank needs to absorb a massive hit, you can use it to add extra EHP along with Aspected Benefic, or you can use it between trash pulls so that you have a bit more time to get some DPS out on the next pull. I otherwise wouldn't really bother with it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Vermain posted:

If a tank needs to absorb a massive hit, you can use it to add extra EHP along with Aspected Benefic, or you can use it between trash pulls so that you have a bit more time to get some DPS out on the next pull. I otherwise wouldn't really bother with it.
At lower levels, you can also use it at the start of the dungeon on everyone to make idiots think you're a good healer. Even though it's not necessary.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I felt kind of burned by how quickly the Ul'Dah stuff tied itself off in 3.0, mainly because there's a small chunk of the 3.0 prerendered opening dedicated to making Lolorito look menacing and Raubahn brooding in prison. Complete conjecture, but given how early these prerendered trailers are made it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the Ul'Dah portion of 3.0 was more prevalent in an earlier draft.

I'd also like to echo the sentiment that the habit of the past couple of patches of setting up some big win for The Good Guys and then immediately souring it is getting a little tiring. Didn't help that I was talking in voice chat with some friends during the last cutscene in Western Highlands and openly wondered what happened to Estinien five seconds before he ganked Vidofnir.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
After Estinien came back from being Dragonfire Dived into oblivion as if nothing happened you shouldn't expect anyone in this game to ever be dead.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Defiance Industries posted:

They have to spend more money to influence the masses as opposed to just each other.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
What's the quickest way to get some poetics? I'm rushing through the 2.x relic because I desperately want that kettle, and I just finished animus (phew) and promptly did maps and exchanged allied seals up to 47 alexandrite, but I'm out of poetics now, and MSDR and L50DR are only once a day.

e: Hunts are the obvious answer, but I'm on Faerie so whether people actually go after A ranks is a tossup.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 2, 2016

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

What's the quickest way to get some poetics? I'm rushing through the 2.x relic because I desperately want that kettle, and I just finished animus (phew) and promptly did maps and exchanged allied seals up to 47 alexandrite, but I'm out of poetics now, and MSDR and L50DR are only once a day.

e: Hunts are the obvious answer, but I'm on Faerie so whether people actually go after A ranks is a tossup.

You can try various trials, especially the ones required to reach HW, new player bonus is powerful.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Moldy Taxes posted:

I felt kind of burned by how quickly the Ul'Dah stuff tied itself off in 3.0, mainly because there's a small chunk of the 3.0 prerendered opening dedicated to making Lolorito look menacing and Raubahn brooding in prison. Complete conjecture, but given how early these prerendered trailers are made it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the Ul'Dah portion of 3.0 was more prevalent in an earlier draft.

I was thinking the same thing based on Momodi's dialogue after the WoL is redeemed, something about she felt as though a bigger change was about to happen, but maybe the world wasn't ready for it. Maybe this is a bit :tinfoil:, but the rather abrupt way it was handled is rather suspicious.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Ul'dah stuff felt like something that they were going with and then they realized that a lot of elements (like being in exile from one of the major cities) wouldn't work in an MMO.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

GlitchThief posted:

Dumb noob question, but what am I supposed to be using Stoneskin for? A guide I'm following recommended using it as an AST, but if I throw it on the tank between battles it doesn't end up staying up for very long. I know the two aren't mutually exclusive, but Aspected Benefic is so much more useful for giving me some leeway as a healer that I don't really see the point of wasting the cast time or MP adding Stoneskin to the mix.

You get to use it the same way as a SCH does: Stoneskin + n!aBenefic gives your tank a large buffer to pull to their little heart's content without the little ticks of regen aggroing enemies into you as your tank runs into range. You can then switch back to Diurnal at your leisure, without being locked out by aggro.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I just wanna say gently caress T11 from the bottom of my heart. I will never be going there again. I just wanna look like a pretty Bahamut ninja, but that turn refuses to cooperate. Luckily, I have all the left side gear from that turn, so no more.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I think it's also important to keep in mind that FF14 always keeps any number of plotlines going in parallel with one another, so I seriously doubt we've seen the last of the Ul'dah/Lolorito/Raubhan/Ilberd mess. Especially since where we left off, Lolorito has basically, like, won???

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Belzac posted:

After Estinien came back from being Dragonfire Dived into oblivion as if nothing happened you shouldn't expect anyone in this game to ever be dead.

What are you talking about?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

vOv posted:

What are you talking about?

DRG50 quest.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
In the ARR level 50 DRG quest, you fight Estinien. After you he beat him up he calls for power from Niddhog via giant pillar of neon violet energy, then you go FULL AZURE DRAGOON and dragonfire dive him into oblivion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jUgRDpO0I4&t=289s

My theory is that the actual Estinien died then and the one you meet in HW is a dragon-copy made by Niddhog trying to get his eye back which as we know, works

Estinien is the epitome of loldrg.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
What are the most profitable uses for steel sky pirate spoils nowadays?

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I really wish you could replay job quests, I want to replay the Monk level 60 quest.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Line Feed posted:

Til sea swallows all. ; _ ;7

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Sendo posted:

I really wish you could replay job quests, I want to replay the Monk level 60 quest.

I would totally redo DRK 60. I had void ark fending gear and an i180 weapon by that point; I was exactly the rampaging force of nature that the job lore promised and it was a blast.

Sekret
Dec 6, 2001
Curse you, Massive Genitals!
I hope 3.3 includes a recipe for Malevolent Moggle Mogrod.
I want a pretty flower with music notes :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I've been sort of off and on trying to get on since last night, I even woke up at Amish barn-raising hours. I don't think Excalibur will ever let me on. It must be free moogle week.

Ed: Is there a place to find a reasonably priced NA ARR code that isn't a sketchy polish man on G2A? :v:

Dely Apple fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 2, 2016

• Locked thread