Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's going to be terrifying to see what happens in the coming years when entire states worth of students are immediately rejected by most universities due to the states having horrifically poor education results.

Privately run cram schools where kids work themselves to death to make college entrance exam requirements. Just like anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
So.. South Korea.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Don't forget Rick Scott's order that state government employees not use the phrase "climate change".

Some of the legislators had a really fun day trying to get a Scott administration official to say the magic words.

(I am frankly more appalled by terming the steady and increasing Miami catastrofuck Nuisance Flooding.)

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Privately run cram schools where kids work themselves to death to make college entrance exam requirements. Just like anime.

SAT/ACT classes/tutoring already sometimes become this, FYI.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Extracurricular SAT/ACT paid courses are already the norm for above average (and wealthy) high school students. Not just seniors, but juniors and sophomores.

ETA: drat it. :argh:

Iowa Snow King fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 2, 2016

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Remember how we used to say that the only thing the House is capable of doing lately is renaming post offices? Well...

The party of Lincoln! :haw:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Yoshifan823 posted:

Are there any Rs that aren't terrible? Or any Ds that are particularly great. I know Jerry Brown is pretty cool, who else isn't terrible.

Post about your governors ITT

I'd say Butch Otter isn't terrible (and he blamed a DUI arrest on having soaked his chewing tobacco in Jack Daniels, which is hilarious) but that's largely because our legislature is both terrible and not very competent, so Otter mostly just signs the stupid poo poo they send him.

Last year, the Idaho legislature accidentally made it impossible for the state to collect child support (they somehow thought it would lead to Sharia Law) for a few weeks before sanity prevailed, and they also set up a "constitutional defense fund" in 1995 to help the state fight the US Government in court, which resulted in nine straight court losses that burned through about $2 million trying to defend hilariously unconstitual laws.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Despite her shilling for Comcast as AG, Kate Brown has done a decent job in Oregon since Kitzhaber resigned.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Moonbeam is pretty cool I guess.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

azflyboy posted:

I'd say Butch Otter isn't terrible

I still can't loving believe this is a real person's name lmao

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Lemming posted:

I still can't loving believe this is a real person's name lmao

His ex-wife is Gay Otter.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Terry McAuliffe was the Clinton's money guy and is exactly as scummy as that sounds. I had to jam my nose with altoids to fight the smell as I voted for him for VA governor a few years back because Ken Cuccinellie is a Greg Abbot clone.

I am constantly shocked at how good a governor McAuliffe has been. It genuinely saddens me that Virgina's strict term limit rules won't allow him to run for re-election.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's bullshit they put Edwin Edwards in jail and if I could vote for him I would. He was the best Governor.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Some of the legislators had a really fun day trying to get a Scott administration official to say the magic words.

(I am frankly more appalled by terming the steady and increasing Miami catastrofuck Nuisance Flooding.)

It's amazing to me that these situations are characterized as fun. :tinsley:

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 2, 2016

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Here's a weird thought.

15 years from now a young teenager taking their first high school government class may note that they learned from class that the supreme court was once 5-4 conservative and became 7-2 liberal in a very short time, and they may look at you and ask you to explain how that happened.

The funny thing is... you really can't give a good, complete answer to that question without first explaining the majesty that is Donald J. Trump.

Northjayhawk fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 2, 2016

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Northjayhawk posted:

Here's a weird thought.

15 years from now a young teenager taking their first high school government class may note that they learned from class that the supreme court was once 5-4 conservative and became 7-2 liberal in a very short time, and they may look at you and ask you to explain how that happened.

The funny thing is... you really can't give a good, complete answer to that question without first explaining the majesty that is Donald J. Trump.

You have way too much faith in young teens noticing poo poo.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Terry McAuliffe was the Clinton's money guy and is exactly as scummy as that sounds. I had to jam my nose with altoids to fight the smell as I voted for him for VA governor a few years back because Ken Cuccinellie is a Greg Abbot clone.

I am constantly shocked at how good a governor McAuliffe has been. It genuinely saddens me that Virgina's strict term limit rules won't allow him to run for re-election.

I'm exactly the same way. McAuliffe has been pretty on the level and fought for stuff he should. I was voting just so the Cooch didn't get to enact his theocratic dream but he's turned out good regardless of that.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Caucus trip report: my district is a bunch of weird-looking white people. More beards than people of color here tonight by a wide margin.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
How many more states went for Trump tonight?

Also, does it make me a bad person to pretend to be a 65 year old white man who would blame the Republicans for 4-4 supreme court decisions if they blocked nominations? Because I just told a phone survey I was.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Caucus trip report: my district is a bunch of weird-looking white people. More beards than people of color here tonight by a wide margin.

Same in MN, but add bikes w/winter tires.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

You have way too much faith in young teens noticing poo poo.

Yeah the textbook publisher will have long since come up with a sentence or two that quickly summarizes exactly why and the teen will just memorize that. Hindsight's magic for explaining things.

SquadronROE posted:

How many more states went for Trump tonight?

Not over yet, but Trump's already taken four states so far.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Final Revelation is at hand!

I have seen the shattering fulgurations of ultimate clarity!

The light is impending! I bear witness to it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
McDowell, take a Soma, two Vicodin, and drink a beer. Your life and posting will both improve.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've just been quoting the wonderful film 'Network' (1976)

A film that has come true in so many ways.

Donald Trump will be assassinated if it will save his ratings.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Cross-posting from the GOP thread because words have no meaning and Donald Trump is going to be our next president.

https://twitter.com/13ALeBeau/status/704834343089414144

No, the reporter did not make a mistake with that Tweet.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

His ex-wife is Gay Otter.

Okay, now you're just loving with us.

e: Alright, maybe you're not loving with us.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Hollismason posted:

So.. South Korea.

we talking the 7 day filibuster or what? I've largely been looking at US stuff this weekend, what did I miss?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tempest_56 posted:

Okay, now you're just loving with us.

e: Alright, maybe you're not loving with us.

It is amazingly true.

My personal favorite Butch Otter thing, though, was him or one of his staffers presumably watching Alpha House, whereupon he declared that he would only debate his Tea Party challenger if the other two participants in the race were also in the debate.

The closing statements are very possibly the best political television in 2014, with the punctuation that Butch Otter shook hands with his Actual Opponent while Mr Otter had a huge poo poo eating grin and the opponent had an expression like he had literally eaten poo poo.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://wonkette.com/599202/america-might-not-have-embarrassing-clown-louie-gohmert-to-kick-around-any-more

Who will cook bbq for the House?

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

If only someone would do this but for Dianne Feinstein.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Same in MN, but add bikes w/winter tires.

I am in MN actually.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Remember how we used to say that the only thing the House is capable of doing lately is renaming post offices? Well...

In 2011 Glen Grothman called me a hippie and told me to get a job while I was protesting act 10 outside the capital. I was in college at the time, working 3 part-time jobs to pay for it. gently caress that guy so deeply.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Radish posted:

I'm exactly the same way. McAuliffe has been pretty on the level and fought for stuff he should. I was voting just so the Cooch didn't get to enact his theocratic dream but he's turned out good regardless of that.

It's been one of the better state government surprises of the past few years, that's for certain. Especially when you look around and see state governments melting into chaos left and right, it's nice to have a governor who is doing a competent job and not getting arrested. Plus he's always really excited at speeches, I love it. Everything is THE BEST and THE GREATEST. :kimchi:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I put this in the February thread this morning since I'm a moron, reposting here.

Excellent Jacobin essay on the strategies and political economy that drove twentieth century partisan realignment.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Bernie wins Oklahoma; currently 10% ahead with 60% reporting. I couldn't be more pleasantly surprised by the normally lovely behavior of Democrats in this state.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Zeroisanumber posted:

Caddyshack-style shenanigans make me more likely to vote for a pol, under the theory that I'll eventually get the Senator Blutovsky that I really want.

In the Vermont State House chamber, there is a huge portrait of George Washington behind the speaker's podium. On the last day of Speaker Ralph Wright's term in 1994, someone suspended an enlarged photo of his face over that of George before the daily session opened. I was a page there at the time, and man was Wright pissed. Never did find out who pulled that one.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Scott endorsing Trump here turns a bad night for Rubio into a disaster

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So what does this all mean for Rubio? Will his party backers still desperately try to keep him afloat out of pure 'jesus christ please not those other guys', or will they finally throw in the towel?

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/704845745346715649

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Darth Walrus posted:

So what does this all mean for Rubio? Will his party backers still desperately try to keep him afloat out of pure 'jesus christ please not those other guys', or will they finally throw in the towel?

From what you know about the Republican party, which do you find more believable: that they'd swallow their pride and accept an unwelcome reality, or that they'd drag things out to the bitter end while employing every dirty trick they know in an effort to shovel back the tide?

• Locked thread