Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

FirstAidKite posted:

What kind of time things havent been done yet? Not saying he can't just reuse one or repurpose one but I'm not sure what other kinds of time stuff would be available.

I guess maybe something related to time dilation, making events run at different speeds in relation to one another, or just flat out slowing things down, or making events play in the wrong order

Maybe the new bad guy will have a space stand like Valentine did. I dug how before Love Train, Valentine has a very balanced stand and not a super-powerful one. It's the same with Pucci, but I think Valentine is a far better version of the main villain being dangerous without that being entirely because he's got a very scary stand. It would've been easy to put a more flexible limit on D4C, like the time limits The World and King Crimson have, but making it based around squishing Valentine between two things was a really good way to make it weird and cool and more in the scope of the rest of SBR's stand powers.

Even Love Train works much better than Made in Heaven as part of the story, because of what Love Train represents within the story: a character seizing the power to reject random misfortunes, and inflict them on everyone else instead. It's a wonderful culmination of the story because SBR is pretty much entirely about determination and misfortune. The character's lives are all shaped by acts of complete chance, mostly for the worse (Johnny losing his brother and being crippled, Hot Pants' brother being eaten by a bear, etc). In Stardust Crusaders and after, Stands are normally a product of character agency: Dio's giving them out in part 3, Jotaro introduces the arrow to the prison in part 6, etc. In Steel Ball Run, gaining a stand is literally an act of God, given to people seemingly randomly and often when they are dying and have no agency at all. The intentions, and the extent, of 'God', or 'fate', in SBR is never made clear to the reader and often seems contradictory: Johnny is crippled because he was rude to someone in the line to the cinema, he finds a corpse part and is given a stand which saves his life in the next fight, but Johnny and Gyro lose all their corpse parts to the president's men later on. I think that scene is a really good example of how far Araki is working this idea of deserved or undeserved misfortune into the narrative, because it is sprung on the reader without foreshadowing: until this point, SBR has been a narrative where Gyro and Johnny face seemingly unwinnable situations in the face of their goal, and manage to triumph over them anyway. When they are given the rest of the corpse parts by the tree, you might already realise that by the stand's rules they will have to give them away, but you think to yourself "I'm sure they'll find a way out of it", and then they don't; they're left in the snow and they spend the rest of the story desperately trying to get back into a good position against Valentine. A lot of stories drop twists like that to up the drama or change the stakes, but in SBR it works really well because it fits in with the themes of the story and the unfair world that Araki is presenting to the audience. Events in the story never feel like narrative contrivance, they just feel like expressions of SBR's recurring question of whether fate or divine will exists, or not.

The Corpse is presented as an instrument of divine will within the story, and one that acts in ways that feel very unexplained. In Stone Ocean, the green baby and Dio's diary are the source of this bizarre sequence of supernatural developments that feel very sporadic and disjointed. Why does Dio know that this series of events will create Made in Heaven? Where did he learn this? In Stone Ocean, the answer is just ":shrug: it makes things exciting", but in SBR the essentially random, unexpected actions that the Corpse takes (giving people on every side of the conflict a stand, appearing to Lucy and then almost killing her by turning her into a wooden doll, etc) just serve to drive further home the message of the story; that God's Will is unknowable and confusing and maybe doesn't even exist at all. Johnny doesn't even win by gaining any divine favour, he succeeds by virtue of his own determination and personal growth, just as Valentine had until that point. At the end of the story, the ending is bittersweet and none of the characters who have hypothetically "earned" a victory win it - Pocoloco does, because one day he started having a stand that has been giving him good fortune for the entire race. Norisuke comes second and plays a small part in instigating the events of Jojolion a century later, despite barely appearing in the narrative before this point. There's no grand and satisfying ending where The Corpse is no longer a danger, it's just shut in a vault for a hundred years, despite the story making it plainly clear that neither the readers or the characters can know whether that would even do anything to prevent what are essentially more acts of God from happening. We just have to do what Johnny does: hope and soldier on, in a True Man's World.

And then have your head crushed by a rock a few years later as a product of events you did nothing to deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Johnny deserved everything he got in the end and didn't deserve a good ending in the first place. Dude's a selfish, merciless prick whose entire motive essentially boils down to "gently caress you, got mine."
Not saying that in a "Valentine did nothing wrong! Johnny's a terrorist" way as memes go, but in a genunine Johnny's just a lovely person one.

It's why he's a great JoJo and a breath of fresh air.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i resent that

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I definitely don't remember any of that and only remember his motivation being that his dad was an rear end in a top hat because his brother died

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Red Bones posted:

Maybe the new bad guy will have a space stand like Valentine did. I dug how before Love Train, Valentine has a very balanced stand and not a super-powerful one. It's the same with Pucci, but I think Valentine is a far better version of the main villain being dangerous without that being entirely because he's got a very scary stand. It would've been easy to put a more flexible limit on D4C, like the time limits The World and King Crimson have, but making it based around squishing Valentine between two things was a really good way to make it weird and cool and more in the scope of the rest of SBR's stand powers.

Even Love Train works much better than Made in Heaven as part of the story, because of what Love Train represents within the story: a character seizing the power to reject random misfortunes, and inflict them on everyone else instead. It's a wonderful culmination of the story because SBR is pretty much entirely about determination and misfortune. The character's lives are all shaped by acts of complete chance, mostly for the worse (Johnny losing his brother and being crippled, Hot Pants' brother being eaten by a bear, etc). In Stardust Crusaders and after, Stands are normally a product of character agency: Dio's giving them out in part 3, Jotaro introduces the arrow to the prison in part 6, etc. In Steel Ball Run, gaining a stand is literally an act of God, given to people seemingly randomly and often when they are dying and have no agency at all. The intentions, and the extent, of 'God', or 'fate', in SBR is never made clear to the reader and often seems contradictory: Johnny is crippled because he was rude to someone in the line to the cinema, he finds a corpse part and is given a stand which saves his life in the next fight, but Johnny and Gyro lose all their corpse parts to the president's men later on. I think that scene is a really good example of how far Araki is working this idea of deserved or undeserved misfortune into the narrative, because it is sprung on the reader without foreshadowing: until this point, SBR has been a narrative where Gyro and Johnny face seemingly unwinnable situations in the face of their goal, and manage to triumph over them anyway. When they are given the rest of the corpse parts by the tree, you might already realise that by the stand's rules they will have to give them away, but you think to yourself "I'm sure they'll find a way out of it", and then they don't; they're left in the snow and they spend the rest of the story desperately trying to get back into a good position against Valentine. A lot of stories drop twists like that to up the drama or change the stakes, but in SBR it works really well because it fits in with the themes of the story and the unfair world that Araki is presenting to the audience. Events in the story never feel like narrative contrivance, they just feel like expressions of SBR's recurring question of whether fate or divine will exists, or not.

The Corpse is presented as an instrument of divine will within the story, and one that acts in ways that feel very unexplained. In Stone Ocean, the green baby and Dio's diary are the source of this bizarre sequence of supernatural developments that feel very sporadic and disjointed. Why does Dio know that this series of events will create Made in Heaven? Where did he learn this? In Stone Ocean, the answer is just ":shrug: it makes things exciting", but in SBR the essentially random, unexpected actions that the Corpse takes (giving people on every side of the conflict a stand, appearing to Lucy and then almost killing her by turning her into a wooden doll, etc) just serve to drive further home the message of the story; that God's Will is unknowable and confusing and maybe doesn't even exist at all. Johnny doesn't even win by gaining any divine favour, he succeeds by virtue of his own determination and personal growth, just as Valentine had until that point. At the end of the story, the ending is bittersweet and none of the characters who have hypothetically "earned" a victory win it - Pocoloco does, because one day he started having a stand that has been giving him good fortune for the entire race. Norisuke comes second and plays a small part in instigating the events of Jojolion a century later, despite barely appearing in the narrative before this point. There's no grand and satisfying ending where The Corpse is no longer a danger, it's just shut in a vault for a hundred years, despite the story making it plainly clear that neither the readers or the characters can know whether that would even do anything to prevent what are essentially more acts of God from happening. We just have to do what Johnny does: hope and soldier on, in a True Man's World.

And then have your head crushed by a rock a few years later as a product of events you did nothing to deserve.

Nice take. I'd not really thought about the whole random chance angle of the plot but that lines up pretty well, especially with Love Train deflecting the misfortune that's been a recurring theme throughout the arc. It seems in direct contrast with the original continuity where 'Fate' was an recurring theme throughout several arcs and strongly informed the motives of most of the main antagonists and how they were defeated.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Johnny deserved everything he got in the end and didn't deserve a good ending in the first place. Dude's a selfish, merciless prick whose entire motive essentially boils down to "gently caress you, got mine."
Not saying that in a "Valentine did nothing wrong! Johnny's a terrorist" way as memes go, but in a genunine Johnny's just a lovely person one.

It's why he's a great JoJo and a breath of fresh air.

Johnny starts off as you describe, but his journey is all about him become a less poo poo more humane person. I mean his final confrontation with Valentine is him literally saying 'I'm willing to conceed I'm a dick, but I'm trying not to be so I'll hear you out' and then genuinely giving him the chance to call it a truce, then he has one final battle with a dude who really is a psychotically self-absorbed piece of poo poo and he decisively loses because he doesn't have it in him like Dio does. He was never going to be the second coming of Jonathan Joestar, but the whole point of the end of SBR is that Johnny has become an acceptable human being.

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 1, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's definitely not something that can be boiled down to 'valentine did nothing wrong' because utilizing the corpse in such a way as he wanted to would gently caress up other parts of the world over time, but johnny and gyro definitely were just kinda out doing what they were doing for their own reasons, which was nice. i definitely wouldn't say either of them are lovely people, they just happen to be relatively normal when put up against someone who isn't another dio or whatever.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He's still a prick to those identical shiphand dudes at the end of SBR.

He's an rear end in a top hat and it owns.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Johnny is the real America's JoJo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

those shiphand guys shouldn't have gotten in the way of johnny bringing his dead friend's corpse onto the boat

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geIH4iM-qqo

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
It's hosed up that the long post I'm not gonna phone quote made me realize that Jesus is meant to be an alt-Dio; a divine body with massive impact on the story who is locked up for part 2.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Jesus' corpse is probably beneath that tree Yasuho fell in

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Stallion Cabana posted:

They slowed down everyone's body but not their minds, leading to normal people be unable to do anything because their minds and bodies were desynchronized.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Aurora posted:

Jesus' corpse is probably beneath that tree Yasuho fell in
Jesus' corpse was recovered by the US government iirc and presumably put it back in the vault.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Moltrey posted:

Jesus' corpse was recovered by the US government iirc and presumably put it back in the vault.

$5 that the body they took was actually Johnny's and Jesus is actually buried in Morioh.

The missing head is the key :tinfoil:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Moltrey posted:

drat, you're right, I don't know why I thought they didn't get it

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I forgot about the groping tree
wtf was the deal with that

Araki...

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

Aurora posted:

drat, you're right, I don't know why I thought they didn't get it

Because Johnny had died recently and the Corpse is an ancient mummy, and it's not very plausible that they'd mistake one for the other?

Anyway, what I'm keen to see from Jojolion is an explanation of whatever it is that's been going around biting people and giving them Stands.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Jo Joestar posted:

Because Johnny had died recently and the Corpse is an ancient mummy, and it's not very plausible that they'd mistake one for the other?

I literally thought Johnny had hidden the corpse and they hadn't found it or something, chill

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Didn't Johnny become rock'd or did he just die?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Jo Joestar posted:

Anyway, what I'm keen to see from Jojolion is an explanation of whatever it is that's been going around biting people and giving them Stands.
If anything in JoJolion gets the Araki Forgot explanation, I feel it will be this. We haven't seen this since like, near the beginning, after Joshuu and Yasuho got bitten? Once things became about rock sickness and fruits, that and the origin of the Wall Eyes exited stage left.

Waffleman_ posted:

Didn't Johnny become rock'd or did he just die?
I'm pretty sure he just got his head smashed, but hell if I remember honestly.

I feel like I need to re-read JoJolion every week now, good god. Was it like this for those of you keeping up with Steel Ball Run or is it just because JoJolion has a larger than usual mystery going on?

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

He had a literal bolder fall on his head and kill him.

edit:

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 2, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
He later died of a boulder.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

You caught me with my spelling pants down. it's my stand's one weakness!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Moltrey posted:

If anything in JoJolion gets the Araki Forgot explanation, I feel it will be this. We haven't seen this since like, near the beginning, after Joshuu and Yasuho got bitten? Once things became about rock sickness and fruits, that and the origin of the Wall Eyes exited stage left.

i feel like it'll start being more relevant soon since kira and josefumi have planted the rokakaka by a hosed-up area with some wall eyes or something.

e: there -has- to be some sort of connection given what happens to stuff buried near them and what the fruits do.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Maybe it's related to that one tree Josuke looks really confused about when him and Norisuke are walking and talking before Yotsuyu shows up

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Fiend Computer posted:

You caught me with my spelling pants down. it's my stand's one weakness!
I didn't notice that, actually, I was just making a joke about the shoeshine boy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Moltrey posted:

If anything in JoJolion gets the Araki Forgot explanation, I feel it will be this.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I still can't get over how I totally forgot about that page and that dude entirely.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i feel like it'll start being more relevant soon since kira and josefumi have planted the rokakaka by a hosed-up area with some wall eyes or something.

e: there -has- to be some sort of connection given what happens to stuff buried near them and what the fruits do.
I agree that the Rokkakka is probably the cause of the Wall Eyes somehow or at least has some sort of connection.

But then there's stuff like Daiya's backstory where she lost her sight and got her Stand ten years by playing around in the area on the Higashikata property where the Wall Eyes will be in the future so man I dunno. Maybe the Wall Eyes will be like the Devils Palm from Steel Ball Run where it's just Basically Cool Stand Magic

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Josue isn't even two people in that scene

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Calling it now, that dude is clearly President Valentine's great-great-grandson, Funniesterest Valentine.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Roflmfao Valentine

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good poo poo go౦ԁ poo poo👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌poo poo right👌👌there👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good poo poo Valentine.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Josue isn't even two people in that scene

Josuke's eyes are almost always normal until Araki wants to highlight that they're not normal.

There are times where the halves of the iris aren't properly aligned too but Araki does that even more rarely than the dual eyes.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, it's one of those cases where araki just makes it look normal for the sake of time and since it's such a fine detail. also there's definitely still more than enough time for that guy that gappy had a vision of to become relevant.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah, it's one of those cases where araki just makes it look normal for the sake of time and since it's such a fine detail. also there's definitely still more than enough time for that guy that gappy had a vision of to become relevant.

Yeah I'd definitely bet on the main villain of Jojolion not being a fat dude, especially considering part seven started off with the main villain being a fat dude and then Araki gave him abs through literal divine means. If there's one thing constant throughout Jojos, it's the main bad guy being a hot dude with abs, and that guy from Gappy's flashback looks a lot more like main bad guy material than the guy he's fighting at the moment.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I still would like followup/acknowledgment that Kira made a guy eat his own fingers

I didn't dream that, right? That totally was mentioned early on, right?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah, I'm still waiting for Kira to be a stone cold motherfucker. I hope this isn't a case of "Araki forgot."

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I still would like followup/acknowledgment that Kira made a guy eat his own fingers

I didn't dream that, right? That totally was mentioned early on, right?
He bumped into the dude in the flashback a couple of chapters ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

Red Bones posted:

Yeah I'd definitely bet on the main villain of Jojolion not being a fat dude, especially considering part seven started off with the main villain being a fat dude and then Araki gave him abs through literal divine means. If there's one thing constant throughout Jojos, it's the main bad guy being a hot dude with abs, and that guy from Gappy's flashback looks a lot more like main bad guy material than the guy he's fighting at the moment.

I just want Damo to be the main bad guy for how much he would stand out in a line-up of all the other main villains.