Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Nessus posted:

It's entirely possible that they're achieving real results even if their theory is fallacious or incomplete, much like Freud probably did help a lot of people with his innovations of "Siddown and let's talk about this in a formal way while I bounce back some parts of it at you for reflection," even if it probably usually wasn't about penises.

And hell, maybe sometimes it is about penises the terror of death.

I think introducing corporate monarchism masquerading as Nietzschean superman to public political discourse would be basically the same as starting a literal fascist party(I'm just going to ignore all that technolgist nonsense). 'Alt-Right' thinkers are literally rehashing the exact same arguments as Anton Drexler and Mussolini, only updated and brought forward in time 90ish years. There is nothing new here, only the same idea iterated upon -"What if, we had a master race?" except in English instead of German.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

divabot posted:

Yesterday I discovered the Gamergate phrase “ethics cvck” (spelt with a u, not a v). This is a term of censure for those who think it’s - ha! - about ethics in games journalism. They refuse to see how it’s actually about fighting the forces of SJW and might as well be SJWs themselves. Example. Oh how I laughed. It originated on 8Chan of course.

It looks like another term they use is "Journalistic Ethics Warriors". Yup, nothing hateful here, they're just talking about a conspiracy of JEWs.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

It looks like another term they use is "Journalistic Ethics Warriors". Yup, nothing hateful here, they're just talking about a conspiracy of JEWs.

Knowing the source, that's probably 100% intentional.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Hate Fibration posted:

If you have this then you are a giant baby who needs to talk to a therapist.

OH NO, I'M GOING TO SLEEP FOREVER

I feel like this is one of the most obvious cases of psychologists projecting their own issues onto other people since Freud.

That's cool, your denial of the fear of death will protect you for awhile. I envy you man, I really do, but mocking people who fear the worst thing that will happen to most people - the thing that's inspired religions and poets for millennia - like they're people who like the wrong kind of videogame is just silly. FFS, one of the first stories ever, The Epic of Gilgamesh, is about fearing death. Becker's book and Terror Management Theory explain so much. Including why we distract ourselves with petty Internet fights. Lik Woody Allen says, he has to do 5 things at once to distract himself from the fear of death. And it's why I've read every blog post Phil Sandifer's written about Doctor Who and British comic wizards.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Count Chocula posted:

That's cool, your denial of the fear of death will protect you for awhile. I envy you man, I really do, but mocking people who fear the worst thing that will happen to most people - the thing that's inspired religions and poets for millennia - like they're people who like the wrong kind of videogame is just silly. FFS, one of the first stories ever, The Epic of Gilgamesh, is about fearing death. Becker's book and Terror Management Theory explain so much. Including why we distract ourselves with petty Internet fights. Lik Woody Allen says, he has to do 5 things at once to distract himself from the fear of death. And it's why I've read every blog post Phil Sandifer's written about Doctor Who and British comic wizards.

Woody Allen, bastion of good moral and mental health. Go back to Auspol, they miss you.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Hey Cingulate start some tedious statistics derail, anything to get us off this.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

He's too busy arguing with Nazis in D&D Europol.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So has this thread discussed The Sarkeesian Effect? I'm slightly tempted to watch it to make a review, but I can't decide if it's worth the liver failure.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Tesseraction posted:

So has this thread discussed The Sarkeesian Effect? I'm slightly tempted to watch it to make a review, but I can't decide if it's worth the liver failure.

I think Hbomberguy took care of that pretty conclusively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsdIHK8O5yo

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I am very familiar with hbomberguy *swirls expensive wine* having encountered him through his high intellectual co-commentary of the SA Jak & Daxter 1 LP by Instant Grat.

And more seriously his measured response series had me laughing a shitload, but I was asking about the actual final products produced by Own and Aruni.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Count Chocula posted:

I cede to you your intellectual score point, because in the end it does not matter, what with the whole fact that

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

I am very familiar with hbomberguy *swirls expensive wine* having encountered him through his high intellectual co-commentary of the SA Jak & Daxter 1 LP by Instant Grat.

And more seriously his measured response series had me laughing a shitload, but I was asking about the actual final products produced by Own and Aruni.

They had a messy breakup and each promised his own version. The fat one released the raw footage, which was interviews with gamergate people about how sexism is good and a hard-hitting expose of the fact the feminist frequency's PO box was in fact a PO box.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Count Chocula posted:

That's cool, your denial of the fear of death will protect you for awhile. I envy you man, I really do, but mocking people who fear the worst thing that will happen to most people - the thing that's inspired religions and poets for millennia - like they're people who like the wrong kind of videogame is just silly. FFS, one of the first stories ever, The Epic of Gilgamesh, is about fearing death. Becker's book and Terror Management Theory

I have yet to see a coherent addressing of the existence of suicidal behavior from proponents of Terror Management Theory or Becker's book. Moreover, there are a number of critiques from evolutionary psychology that have been leveled at the discipline. It's not actually normal to have an all consuming fear of death. People sign DNRs, they engage in risky behavior, and senior citizens do not live in constant terror. Dude, seriously, get help. There are treatments and support groups for thanatophobia. I am going to die, you are going to die, and that's okay.

quote:

explain so much. Including why we distract ourselves with petty Internet fights.

Explaining something doesn't mean it's a correct explanation.

quote:

Lik Woody Allen says, he has to do 5 things at once to distract himself from the fear of death. And it's why I've read every blog post Phil Sandifer's written about Doctor Who and British comic wizards.

:therapy:

Hate Fibration has a new favorite as of 02:51 on Mar 2, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

They had a messy breakup and each promised his own version. The fat one released the raw footage, which was interviews with gamergate people about how sexism is good and a hard-hitting expose of the fact the feminist frequency's PO box was in fact a PO box.

I know!

C'mon peeps I know the majority of this I've been fo-lol-ing this stuff, but I wanted to know if anyone had watched the final lovely films. Literally the 'final' ones. I think D. Futrelle checked at least one out, but wanted to know about the rest of the thread.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The fat one's release is the only one I know about. The bald one never let anything out and started wearing cowboy hats and big belt buckles shortly afterward.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Count Chocula posted:

Fiction writers are notoriously unstable human beings who are obsessed with immortality. It's a necessity of the trade. Citing them as evidence only hinders your "I'm normal" argument.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You don't find it philosophically interesting that only human beings are able to predict and reflect upon the inevitability of their own deaths? Terror's not the right word, but it's something you do have to think about from time to time. It's not exactly fun, even for a Buddhist.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Jack Gladney posted:

You don't find it philosophically interesting that only human beings are able to predict and reflect upon the inevitability of their own deaths? Terror's not the right word, but it's something you do have to think about from time to time. It's not exactly fun, even for a Buddhist.

Honestly, I think death in general is philosophically interesting. It raises a crap ton of questions that are worth exploring and investigating. Off the top of my head "What exactly is a living being?", "Is there a precise moment of death?", etc etc.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Jack Gladney posted:

I think there's some evidence that crows and elephants and some apes are at least able to recognize and mourn the deceased of their species. We can't be sure of their internal states, of course, if any.

And sure, it's not fun, but I think there's a distinction between "Well, this sucks, perhaps in some detail" and "shuddering horror of that thing that sucks."

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Count Chocula posted:

This is a religious person defending his faith.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Many humans are terrified of death.

Many humans are not terrified of death.

There are probably a lot of humans in the Dark Enlightenment who are terrified of death.

It would be nice to talk about that again instead of about who among the posters here fear or do not fear death, and how strong or weak this makes them.

Jesus, at least the Cingulate derails are vaguely germane to the topic!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Someone brought up gamergate and it's moderately more funny than discussing who's the most gar manly man and totally sucks death's dick or whatever so here's Minecraft creator Notch coming out as a grotesque idiot:

Later he decided to do an AMA on bastion of pedophiles and alt-right edgy teens 8chan:
https://twitter.com/notch/status/704858937187676160

And admits he was hiding his lovely opinions until now so people would like him:
https://twitter.com/notch/status/704823005185122304?lang=en

I know it's basically "fat white nordic racist admits to hating feminism news at 11" but still

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I'm actually surprised. I didn't think Sweden was perfect, but I thought their Overton Window was way further feminist than the US', and Notch gave the convincing impression of being an almost-too-relaxed guy who made e-legos.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
What does Notch even do these days?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Schnedwob posted:

Well he wrote a big long whiny baby rant about how he has no friends because he's too darn rich and it's not faaaair so... that I guess?

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Well he wrote a big long whiny baby rant about how he has no friends because he's too darn rich and it's not faaaair so... that I guess?

And you know whose fault that is? Those loving feminists!
:qqsay:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Well I got another reason to not play Mindcraft, lovely developer.

On a more serious note I do feel sorry forthe mindcraft community to have this all shoved onto them. There are literal kids who play this game like Legos and to have that sort of person be responsible makes my skin crawl.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'm actually surprised. I didn't think Sweden was perfect, but I thought their Overton Window was way further feminist than the US', and Notch gave the convincing impression of being an almost-too-relaxed guy who made e-legos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xi3I52mtzk

It's super weird to be in the Dork Enlightenment thread and be like "I had no idea there were nordic hypermasculine bros that want to return to a fascist status quo wherein they are free to stomp on the downtrodden".

Annointed posted:

Well I got another reason to not play Minecraft, lovely developer.
Separating artist from art is a useful life skill and Notch hasn't owned Minecraft in like three years.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Annointed posted:

Well I got another reason to not play Mindcraft, lovely developer.

On a more serious note I do feel sorry forthe mindcraft community to have this all shoved onto them. There are literal kids who play this game like Legos and to have that sort of person be responsible makes my skin crawl.

That was my reaction too. While I never really got into Minecraft, I always thought that it being so popular was a Good Thing, since it was an indie game that seemed to really encourage creativity. Though seeing toys for sale of Minecraft LPers is a bit weird.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Count Chocula posted:

That was my reaction too. While I never really got into Minecraft, I always thought that it being so popular was a Good Thing, since it was an indie game that seemed to really encourage creativity. Though seeing toys for sale of Minecraft LPers is a bit weird.

Stampy Longnose and DanTDM are rockstars for the kids. e.g. my daughter and her friend, who queued to go to Stampy's book launch and get a photo with Stampy and Squaishy. And if you don't know who any of these people are, you don't have little kids. Let's Play videos are what kids watch these days instead of Saturday morning cartoons. Expect disturbing creeper fetishes in fifteen years.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The main reason this disappoints me is that kids loving love Minecraft, and in an odd way I feel like Notch is failing them.

I have kid brothers okay

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ask him what he thinks of the journalistic ethics warriors.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Nessus posted:

And sure, it's not fun, but I think there's a distinction between "Well, this sucks, perhaps in some detail" and "shuddering horror of that thing that sucks."

The overwhelming fear of death is relevant to this thread! In that the entire thrust of Yudkowsky's memeplex is shuddering-horror thanatophobia, and sincerely believing that anyone who does not behave as though they have shuddering-horror thanatophobiam and just goes "well this sucks" is a deathist, a literal advocate of death. The entirety of the Sequences is a working-out of how Yudkowsky could live forever as a simulation running on the mind of God. (This is why Roko's basilisk is interesting: it's the horror implicit in the philosophy, and came as an utter surprise to all involved.)

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
I still find it funny that, for all the Rationalism involved they just wrapped around and came up with another Dante's Inferno industrialized torture hell.

Ronwayne has a new favorite as of 14:02 on Mar 2, 2016

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

divabot posted:

The overwhelming fear of death is relevant to this thread!
Specific posters ITT needing or not needing a therapist hopefully isn't.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I should figure out a way to make big bucks off of SF doom scenarios.

Just gonna convince nerds that they need to give me money to help make X-COM so the aliens don't kill us.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

pro-thana

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Schnedwob posted:

Sits on the greatest personal fortune ever made through video games. That's basically it. I mean, it kinda makes sense considering that Notch is a code monkey who made his name by combining the ideas of two infinitely more talented designers, he has absolutely no design sensibilities of his own, or any apparent artistic inclination whatsoever.

What I just cannot wrap my head around is how a guy, steeped in video games and game development his entire life (IIRC his dad taught him to code pretty much as soon as he could read), stumbles onto literal billions and doesn't immediately start assembling a team to create their dream game. Or start a publishing company to pick up indie devs who he personally thinks are cool. I don't think he's got any obligation to use his money to make games, it's just that I can't understand not doing that.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Didn't he have some attempts to become a publisher, with the ill-fated scrolls game thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Luisfe posted:

Didn't he have some attempts to become a publisher, with the ill-fated scrolls game thing?

Scrolls predated the Microsoft buy-out by a number of years.