Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

dogsupremacy posted:

Mtgo has a format a little like this. You make a deck of all basic lands and then your vanguard momir vig vanguard. You discard a card and pay x to get a random creature with x Cmc. There is actually some pretty deep strategy involved.

Namely: don't play your islands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

Namely: don't play your islands

True, and what drop(s) you will skip as the odds of a decent creature start around 8 Cmc laff

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

There isn't really that much islandwalk and some creatures have decent blue activated abilities, plus sometimes you get an elder dragon.

The only real rule is to get as many mountains in play as possible.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Momir is the best goofy dumb random format that actually has some strategy to it. There's important choices that are basically about managing the randomness and when you want to skip a turn to be able to cast higher drops later on. It's a fundamentally silly format where you can just auto lose/win to Leveller or Phage or Countryside Crusher or something, so as long as you don't take it too seriously it's fun. There's a lot of advantage to be ground out in careful reading all the cards and playing the boar state correctly, since it's all about random creatures both players may never have seen before.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Either rotlung reanimator or caller of the claw.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

suicidesteve posted:

Wasn't that the one where someone Channel Earthquaked everyone, including himself, for lethal?

That must have been a different article.

http://imgur.com/a/jNoCT

Runner up play of the game: Demonic Consulation for Soldier of Fortune (they were playing with real cards which were probably in decks stacked 3 feet high).

Play of the Game: The other 4 players immediately killed the guy who tutored for the Soldier of Fortune.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Laboratory Maniac is the best 2-power creature, although I would like it better if it were an enchantment.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Chamale posted:

Laboratory Maniac is the best 2-power creature, although I would like it better if it were an enchantment.

I wouldn't because then it wouldn't be a Wizard and I like tutoring for Wizards and also drawing cards off my Wizards.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Cernunnos posted:

I wouldn't because then it wouldn't be a Wizard and I like tutoring for Wizards and also drawing cards off my Wizards.

Well it could be both if a certain group of people hadn't dumpstered the tribal supertype :mad:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Runner up play of the game: Demonic Consulation for Soldier of Fortune (they were playing with real cards which were probably in decks stacked 3 feet high).

Play of the Game: The other 4 players immediately killed the guy who tutored for the Soldier of Fortune.

They must have done it more than once then. I remember reading about there being a huge multiplayer game like that that ended with Channel, Quake for 40. I remember the Soldier of Fortune thing too. That was pretty great.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Speaking of Momir, I just curved Sliver Queen into Fury Sliver. It didn't end up doing as much as I hoped but it was funny.

I got a Blazing Archon in play and had my opponent at negative 1 and then clicked for 8 and got Denizen of the Deep. :negative:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 2, 2016

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

dogsupremacy posted:

What's the deal with gp and scg pricing vs payout. Especially the scg thing is rough when you look at total taken in vs payout but with these record attendance events something needs to change. I mean I get that you want to cover venue etc but when you consider that competitive magic is a non trivial product seller (wotc) and probably a primary driver for the secondary market in just suprised they can't up the prizes/hype. The EV is really rough not even considering travel or lodging. At least with my poker tourneys there is at least a chance for some of the optimism. Unlike the current situation of I need to top 8 this 700 person event to cover any trip that I can't drive to and crash at a buddies place.

Edit: I think scavenging ooze is my favorite 2/2 as it has a ton of random game vs graveyard shenanigans, incidental delve and snap hate, but most of all a high ceiling

I used to feel this way but do you even realize the overhead for something like that?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Pussy Snorkel posted:

I used to feel this way but do you even realize the overhead for something like that?

$69 dollars

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Dimir cutpurse. Especially with a forecast writ of passage

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
guessing more like $4,201,337, source: i'm a master of #mtgfinance, read my articles at mtgprice.com

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

$69 dollars

No, it's $420.

black potus posted:

guessing more like $4,201,337, source: i'm a master of #mtgfinance, read my articles at mtgprice.com

Actually it's this.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Cernunnos posted:

Best 2 power creature is dis mofo:

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

best 2 power creature is fulminator mage

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

dogsupremacy posted:

Mtgo has a format a little like this. You make a deck of all basic lands and then your vanguard momir vig vanguard. You discard a card and pay x to get a random creature with x Cmc. There is actually some pretty deep strategy involved.

One pro strat is to run the shittiest white-bordered basics you can get your hands on; you wouldn't think people would get tilted by losing to ugly lands in the joke format but they do.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

dogsupremacy posted:

What's the deal with gp and scg pricing vs payout. Especially the scg thing is rough when you look at total taken in vs payout but with these record attendance events something needs to change. I mean I get that you want to cover venue etc but when you consider that competitive magic is a non trivial product seller (wotc) and probably a primary driver for the secondary market in just suprised they can't up the prizes/hype. The EV is really rough not even considering travel or lodging. At least with my poker tourneys there is at least a chance for some of the optimism. Unlike the current situation of I need to top 8 this 700 person event to cover any trip that I can't drive to and crash at a buddies place.

Edit: I think scavenging ooze is my favorite 2/2 as it has a ton of random game vs graveyard shenanigans, incidental delve and snap hate, but most of all a high ceiling

magic is a house of cards, they're all just trying to make out while they can

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Wurzag posted:

question was best creature, not LD spell.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Wurzag posted:

it's mystic snake and it's not close

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

It's definitely from Visions. Nekrataal, Man-o'-war, Uktabi Orangutan or my personal vote: the far less iconic Shimmering Efreet. Phasing is the best.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

best 2 power creature is Dark Confidant.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

where's the zedruu love

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Uktabi Orangutan or Kiki-Jiki for me.

"Is it true that the apes wear furs of gold when they marry?"

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

The things that have been revealed from Soi look pretty rad and I'm considering coming back to MTG to see how it goes.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Lawnie posted:

Uktabi Orangutan or Kiki-Jiki for me.

"Is it true that the apes wear furs of gold when they marry?"

All I remember Uktabi Orangutan for is the monkeys in the background going at it.

I also was just reminded that the Unhinged Uktabi Kong confirms that that is exactly what those monkeys were doing:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cernunnos posted:

All I remember Uktabi Orangutan for is the monkeys in the background going at it.

I also was just reminded that the Unhinged Uktabi Kong confirms that that is exactly what those monkeys were doing:

and its flavor text is aping (:haw: ) Gorilla Titan.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Cernunnos posted:

Holy poo poo it makes babies too. How did it take me 13 years to see that.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I just realized that unlike most Un-set cards, there appears to be nothing mechanically stopping Uktabi Kong from being reprinted in a "real" set. Aside from I guess maybe the mildly fourth-wall-breaking name? (I'm assuming they could replace the art and/or flavor text if they felt the need.)

That'd be a pretty cool thing for them to do someday. It's not like having it in a set instead of whatever other lovely Timmy rare would devastate limited or constructed formats.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JerryLee posted:

I just realized that unlike most Un-set cards, there appears to be nothing mechanically stopping Uktabi Kong from being reprinted in a "real" set. Aside from I guess maybe the mildly fourth-wall-breaking name? (I'm assuming they could replace the art and/or flavor text if they felt the need.)

That'd be a pretty cool thing for them to do someday. It's not like having it in a set instead of whatever other lovely Timmy rare would devastate limited or constructed formats.

I mean, what's making it an un-set card is that it's a sex joke.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

JerryLee posted:

Fun fact: As part of the "at least one card from every set ever" theme that 8th had going (which got us Giant Badger instead of Mana Crypt :kratos: ), they wanted to reprint The Cheese Stands Alone, using the same logic ("its rules make sense!"), MaRo fought hard to get it in, but rules people said it would be impossible because any version of a card is legal if the card is legal, and silver-bordered cards are always illegal, ipso facto cogito ergo et cetera, we get loving Barren Glory in PC.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

JerryLee posted:

This got me wondering what other unglued cards could show up:

This actually seems like an interesting control card for a superfriends type deck.

This is just terrible unless you're playing a Zedruu deck.

This would also be lovely, but works

This really should be a red card but this seems pretty reasonable to print.

Doesn't this exist in non-chicken form somewhere?

Again, terrible. I could see them printing this as like a 5/5 or better in a set that brought back Evolve or whatever Experiment One's ability is.

I want this to exist.

Hey look, it's Forecast, years before it would be printed

Oh hello, Enter The Infinite

This would be broken as poo poo in multiplayer

I feel like they've done this basic concept with tribes somewhere

I don't even know that this guy would be broken if they printed him.

Checks could show up if it didn't have the unnecessary "must be 3+ player game" on it.

I'm not 100% sure on mentioning teammates in rules text being "allowed" in the way it is written here, but Imperial Mask does it. AFAIK Six Sided Die are not a recognized Magic object so that cut out a lot of the otherwise playable cards from unglued.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
I'd go with Grizzly Bears, received a playset of those and a bunch of other commons from my friends when I first started playing magic. Made my awesome GR deck with Kird Ape and bolts. My second choice would be Hypnotic Spectre, lame as hell when someone first turn ritual into spectre you in 94. Another lame opening is double ritual Hymn and Spectre.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
My favorite 2 power creature might just be Lore Seeker. I am moderately excited for CNS2.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Where's all the EDH love for Sad Robot as the best 2 power creature?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Tasigur: Jeb Bush
Sidisi: Chris Christie
Silumgar: Trump

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

ShaneB posted:

Where's all the EDH love for Sad Robot as the best 2 power creature?

That's a funny way to spell Brago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

whydirt posted:

Tasigur: Jeb Bush
Sidisi: Chris Christie
Silumgar: Trump

Man, Tasigur has a lot more swag than Jeb. Jeb is like Angus Mackenzie