Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

coyo7e posted:

Fly fishing is like dance, to regular fishing's marching along in lockstep. When I'm fly fishing, I really don't care that much if I catch anything at all - it's just such a pleasure to get entirely into your technique and forget what's going on. No matter what lure and/or bait fishing I'm doing, there's just nowhere near as much pleasure in the actual action of fishing, as there is when I'm fly fishing.

yes,

quote:

Buy a cheap flyrod and a hula hoop, and toss the hoop in your yard and practise with a strike indicator instead of a hook first, though, before you go anywhere near the water. If you can't roll-cast a fly under your rhododendrons 75% of the time, you're just going to lose your gear and possibly most of your leader immediately.

But for real, I'd rather stand on a riverbank all day fly fishing for 8"-9" redbands in a high mountain stream, than bring home a pair of salmon... Of course the next day when I'm hungry, I'd rather have the salmon, but fly-fishing is really more of a meditation technique, it's almost like practising martial arts where you get so into the movements and technique that you really aren't concerned about the "why" of you being out fishing in the first place.
yes....

quote:

A lot of fly-fishermen are real assholes though and look down on or try to chase away bait/lure fishermen from their favorite fly holes - I've found that the more expensive the vest and waders and gear someone's rocking while fly fishing, the more likely they will be a complete rear end to someone using spinners or eggs or the like.. I almost threw an old guy into the drink one time, when he angrily splashed down the river to me and informed me that I couldn't use lures on "his" river, because it was only for fly fishing (despite the regs saying otherwise, and my family owning two different properties on both ends of that same river). I think that fly fishermen being elitist pricks is more why it gets a bad rap from other fishermen, than any other reason.

yes!

quote:

I really do not see how there can be any art or technique to tenkara, since you're literally using a 10' piece of line.

You were doing so well....

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Fly fishing seems like shaving with a safely razor, an outdated tech that people stubbornly cling to for nostalgia while trying to claim it's some how better.

Or maybe it is like an un-circumstanced penis....

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Fly fishing seems like shaving with a safely razor, an outdated tech that people stubbornly cling to for nostalgia while trying to claim it's some how better.
Nah, shaving with a safety razor *saves* you money.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
My first negative experience with another fisherman was with a fly fisherman.

I was wading just off the beach at the local neighborhood lake, catching bluegill with a stick, line, hook, and corn kernels. There was a guy fly fishing next to me. For every fish he caught with his fancy rod (I remember thinking how drat cool his gear looked with its bright green line) I pulled in 4 with my stick and corn. I'll never forget the look of contempt he gave me when he walked off to a new spot.

At the time I walked away from the encounter wanting a fly rod more than anything. Looking back that guy was a serious dick giving a 9 year old and his stick the stinky eye. I was even there first!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

stealie72 posted:

Nah, shaving with a safety razor *saves* you money.

*sets hook*

Nothing like fishing for posters.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Even in California it's generally a good idea to leave other fishermen alone.

I would be more wary of bothering fishermen in bear country.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Bothering other fishermen who aren't bothering you is a dick move no matter what style fishing you're doing.

Namaste.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I'm a big fan of fishing (I was the op of a previous incarnation of this thread, years ago I think) that has sort of fallen out of the hobby for a while. I used to be big into surf fishing in the gulf of mexico and some shore side freshwater stuff, but I move away from that area to the midwest. I tried fishing a bit last summer from the shore but found it a bit dull in this area. I finally bit the bullet and got a inexpensive kayak (Pelican Trailblazer 100) and want to take it out on the reservoirs and lakes near by. The main lake I'm local to has the typical fair for the midwest, I guess (bass, crappie and sunnies, drum and cats, perch etc.). Obviously, my techniques are going to change depending on the time of year and what fish I'm targeting, but are they're any beginners tips for kayak lake fishing that you goons want to share? I remember there being a fairly large number of kayak fishermen in this thread.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

beefnoodle posted:

You were doing so well....
You're likely right, so please feel free to throw out some stuff which shows all the technique and strategy of tenkara - because from where I'm standing, it looks like you just flip a lure around within arm's reach over and over, and then move to another hole. I'm genuinely curious as to how it takes anything besides not beating the water like you're an old lady with a broomstick - all the stealth and water reading I learned through other methods, and despite the inherent difficulty in trying to not spook certain types of fish, I can't see how it takes much effort or skill to do it.

I used to fish crayfish on a stick with a 10-12' piece of line, a bent paperclip, and some chunks of turkey skin.. It was literally "dunk, pull, drop into bucket, dunk again". I can't see how using a fancy rod and 10 feet of line is much different, but would be willing to look into it if you can provide something informative and interesting.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Please FishBro. All you need is a hook and bug to catch trout. Fish are stupid. Fish eat. You are coming off as immensely condescending about your efforts to trick a stupid animal to biting your hand-tied fly.

There has never been, and never will be a smart fish. It's all instincts.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

coyo7e posted:

You're likely right, so please feel free to throw out some stuff which shows all the technique and strategy of tenkara - because from where I'm standing, it looks like you just flip a lure around within arm's reach over and over, and then move to another hole. I'm genuinely curious as to how it takes anything besides not beating the water like you're an old lady with a broomstick - all the stealth and water reading I learned through other methods, and despite the inherent difficulty in trying to not spook certain types of fish, I can't see how it takes much effort or skill

It's definitely not dapping. Some videos here: http://www.tenkarausa.com/learn-tenkara/ and on their YouTube channel.

Line management, esp. once you get into lines twice the length of your 14' rod, is just as important as it is with a reel. Casting is just like traditional fly casting. It's really not arm's reach unless you have 20' arms.

The main thing is you can have a lot of control over your drift by using the length of the rod to keep most of the line out of the water. So much less mending. Bow and arrow casts are awesome for getting under brush on the opposite side of a stream. There is nothing better for casting into a tiny pool on a mountain stream, in my opinion.

Lake fishing with Tenkara sucks, except for cruisers along the shore, but it's great for streams, which it was designed for. I would never use Tenkara in a drift boat on the Bighorn or the Green. I got into it for backpacking in the Rockies, since there is a lot less to pack.

Note: I am in no way a weaboo, and definitely did not get into it because it's Japanese.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

beefnoodle posted:

Lake fishing with Tenkara sucks, except for cruisers along the shore, but it's great for streams, which it was designed for. I would never use Tenkara in a drift boat on the Bighorn or the Green. I got into it for backpacking in the Rockies, since there is a lot less to pack.

Basically this. It packs down really nicely for hiking/camping in Colorado. Out here, there's plenty of reasons to have any number of rods. Plenty of situations that work well for one versus the others.

Man. A lot of goons getting angry about fishing in here.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ Lot of goons projecting about other people being upset, up in here. :laugh:

beefnoodle posted:

It's definitely not dapping. Some videos here: http://www.tenkarausa.com/learn-tenkara/ and on their YouTube channel.

Line management, esp. once you get into lines twice the length of your 14' rod, is just as important as it is with a reel. Casting is just like traditional fly casting. It's really not arm's reach unless you have 20' arms.

The main thing is you can have a lot of control over your drift by using the length of the rod to keep most of the line out of the water. So much less mending. Bow and arrow casts are awesome for getting under brush on the opposite side of a stream. There is nothing better for casting into a tiny pool on a mountain stream, in my opinion.

Note: I am in no way a weaboo, and definitely did not get into it because it's Japanese.
This is interesting, because from everything i ever heard tenkara involves a length of line roughly the length or twice the length of your rod. If you're using 20'+ of line, what makes it different from fly fishing except the lack of a reel? I mean I haul in half the fish I catch on a flyrod, without ever using the reel at all, so I am just really having a hard time seeing what the big difference might be - and like I said, I'm interested, it just sounds like the stuff I used to do in muddy canals as a kid, using cotton string and some paperclips.

I've never heard of "bow and arrow" casting before, although I do know some techniques which are pretty similar sounding, using a baitcaster.

I'll have to check out some videos. Thanks!

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 2, 2016

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

coyo7e posted:

^^^ Lot of goons projecting about other people being upset, up in here. :laugh:

This is interesting, because from everything i ever heard tenkara involves a length of line roughly the length or twice the length of your rod. If you're using 20'+ of line, what makes it different from fly fishing except the lack of a reel? I mean I haul in half the fish I catch on a flyrod, without ever using the reel at all, so I am just really having a hard time seeing what the big difference might be - and like I said, I'm interested, it just sounds like the stuff I used to do in muddy canals as a kid, using cotton string and some paperclips.

I've never heard of "bow and arrow" casting before, although I do know some techniques which are pretty similar sounding, using a baitcaster.

I'll have to check out some videos. Thanks!

A 14' telescoping rod is a lot, I mean a LOT, different from a typical 9' 5-weight. A bunch of other stuff with Tenkara follows from that. So you're right, it's a lot like Western fly fishing except you're not using a reel, and you have this big loving rod to hold out. e: As for cotton string and paperclips, it still is weight-forward fly line, and dry flies. (Some nymph with Tenkara, but I don't.)

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Most of my use of Tenkara is when I want to delivery to smaller pools or eddies that a western fly rod can't consistently deliver to - cover/tight spaces make it less effort to flick a fly over with the Tenkara rod, or fire a fly over with the bow/arrow technique.

Otherwise, my weapon of choice is my smaller #4/8'. I just picked up a new #6/10' for Xmas and I'm excited to use it when I hit up the Roaring Fork/Poudre/Colorado River ranges this spring/summer.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I took the kayak offshore today, I started out drifting around for some squid and got my bag within a couple of hours. After that I headed outside to see what else was around.
Some decent squid mixed in with the smaller ones

They did a bit of redecorating, the PFD is starting to take on a camo pattern.

Trolling plastics along under the cliffs. Conditions were absolutely mint, hardly a wave in sight

I was hoping for kingfish, but had to be content with a stinky pike that ate a big Zman paddle tail. Decent chompers on those things, but the plastic survived unscathed. I'd never caught a pike before so it was bled and gutted and has a date with the deepfrier tomorrow night. They aren't actually 'pike', they're just another in a long line of Australian critters that was named after something European that it bears a superficial resemblance to. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-finned_pike

Some pretty spectacular scenery

Cape Woolamai from a fair way out

Could not ask for better conditions. Tasmania is somewhere out there.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
regarding all this fly fishing talk. Has anyone tried the "Fly and Bubble" Technique (it's a "fancy" bobber weighted with water that lets you cast flies on a spinning rod)? I'm thinking of trying it out this upcoming season.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Marshmallow Blue posted:

regarding all this fly fishing talk. Has anyone tried the "Fly and Bubble" Technique (it's a "fancy" bobber weighted with water that lets you cast flies on a spinning rod)? I'm thinking of trying it out this upcoming season.

I've used rigs like this in the past, and the biggest issue I've had is that the fish out here are pretty easily spooked, and a large object that plays light oddly causes them to immediately sink into the pool or current and avoid taking anything for a spell. YMMV though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I've used one with power bait maggots to float them in mid water and the rainbows bite just fine. Open lake with otters, bears and Eagles preying on them. Yeah basically just a hard to see bobber.

I do plan on trying flys with them sooner or later.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

gamera009 posted:

I've used rigs like this in the past, and the biggest issue I've had is that the fish out here are pretty easily spooked, and a large object that plays light oddly causes them to immediately sink into the pool or current and avoid taking anything for a spell. YMMV though.

Same.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Local chat time: have you been on any of the streams recently beefnoodle?

I live right by the Boulder tailwaters so I've been pulling the occasional brown when I have the time.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Sadly, no. Too much work travel this past year, and with the upcoming move, the gear's gonna get packed up before I can use it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I wrecked my foot (slipped and rolled over my ankle, tore a bunch of poo poo and a solid ~2 month recovery time) so I won't be fishing for the next few weeks, but yeah, using a nice 6-10 foot leader below a bobber on a fly is legit, if you aren't using 6+ feet of clear line below the bobber you're probably just beating yourself before your rig hits the water though, imho.

I'm dying to get out on the water but right now my only options are "can I get to the water within 4-5 minutes of hobbling? And can I make it back to the car after?" So basically I'm stuck to fishing for stocker rainbows in the local parks and ponds. I really strongly recommend that nobody ever slip in the mud and roll their ankle over - or at least if you do, do it while playing softball or kickball in a bar league, so you have a less-stupid story for how you ruined your leg from the toe to the knee, slipping in some mud. :downsrim:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I twisted my knee really bad while I was asleep on my couch the other day, limped around for like two weeks and now it has a constant feeling like my knee has to crack, but it just won't.

Try explaining to your boss that you have to work from home because you hurt your knee while sleeping.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

coyo7e posted:

I wrecked my foot (slipped and rolled over my ankle, tore a bunch of poo poo and a solid ~2 month recovery time) so I won't be fishing for the next few weeks, but yeah, using a nice 6-10 foot leader below a bobber on a fly is legit, if you aren't using 6+ feet of clear line below the bobber you're probably just beating yourself before your rig hits the water though, imho.

I'm dying to get out on the water but right now my only options are "can I get to the water within 4-5 minutes of hobbling? And can I make it back to the car after?" So basically I'm stuck to fishing for stocker rainbows in the local parks and ponds. I really strongly recommend that nobody ever slip in the mud and roll their ankle over - or at least if you do, do it while playing softball or kickball in a bar league, so you have a less-stupid story for how you ruined your leg from the toe to the knee, slipping in some mud. :downsrim:

Hmm, probably won't work for me cause I'm looking to hit rivers that aren't usually 6-10 feet deep. But a dry fly should just float and not sink 10 feet right? How would you fish a setup like that? Do the flies float on their own, and what kind of retrieval method should be used?

I'm dying to hit the water too, but the only thing holding me back is the rivers all still have some ice structures (can't be fished from), and all water bodies are closed at least until April 1st. The temperatures are supposed to be crazy warm this week, so hopefully it's taken care of by the weekend.

Edit: I'm very pumped for this year, having spent the winter reading about techniques to try. I got my line spooled on, which I downgraded (upgraded) from 10lb line to 6lb line. I know it's still high for trout, but I'm a worry puss and the thought of snapping my line and losing a fish or lure freaks me out. Better to have never caught a fish than lost a 3 dollar lure. Don't ask me about my reasoning. Thankfully the trout are pretty dumb up here and hit my 10lb line regularly.

Marshmallow Blue fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 8, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
If you are not snagging, you are not going to catch many fish. It took me about a year to learn, but sense I embraced the fleeting nature of lure ownership, I have caught a lot more fish, and had a lot more fun.

Also, the more lures you loose, the more you get to buy to replace them with, it's a win-win!

Also also I have been In Florida for like 4 days out of a 10 day trip and I very much regret not bringing a rig along. I really need to build a universal kit and always make sure it is the first thing in my suitcase.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Marshmallow Blue posted:

But a dry fly should just float and not sink 10 feet right? How would you fish a setup like that? Do the flies float on their own, and what kind of retrieval method should be used?

Dry flies should float unless you're deliberately doing some tactic to get it wet (pulsing, a swing at the end of a drift, etc). Under normal circumstances in streams, you're working on a drag-free dead drift. In lakes using fly and bubble, you're just letting the fly sit out where the fish are rising. You're not doing much of a retrieve, since that would pull the fly under.

Nymphing is a completely different thing.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Gill net < Cast net < bait fishing < artificials < fly fishing

Stay classy fishing thread

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
We have sea run trout/steelhead here in Australia but no one really targets them (or if they do they're keeping very quiet about it), does anyone know much about them? What lures, preferred structure and all that sort of thing. I'd be fishing for them from the kayak. Or am I over thinking it and I should just treat an estuary that holds them the same as a lake or river?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

tesilential posted:

Gill net < Cast net < bait fishing < artificials < fly fishing

How do you feel about weirs?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

tesilential posted:

Poison< explosives <Otter trawl < Gill net < Cast net < bait fishing < artificials < fly fishing <spear fishing with tank < spear fishing no tank < noodling

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Noodling creeps the hell out of me.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I'll never noodle. Never.

gently caress snapping turtles.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
Call it elitist if you want, but I hate seeing bait fisherman on our river because I'm sick of seeing dead undersized trout that swallowed a hook. On our beat the fly fishing only section is getting longer and longer every year and I think it's awesome.

And I hate Tenkara, mainly Tenkara USA and their goddamn dumb marketing gimmick and army of impressionable japanophile neckbeards.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Armed Neutrality posted:

And I hate Tenkara, mainly Tenkara USA and their goddamn dumb marketing gimmick and army of impressionable japanophile neckbeards.

Yeah I can do without most of the japanophile stuff. No, I'm not buying your tea powder.

Also, why did you bring your Hanzo Steel on a fishing trip? http://www.tenkarausa.com/cops-crash-tenkara-tea-ceremony/

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Barbs are unnecessary for sport fishing. Bait fishing with barbs on stuff that you may have to release is laaaame.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
I think Tenkara looks neat and is a pretty good solution for small stream fishing (a favorite of mine). The only difference I see between it and a normal fly rod is the lack of reel, not really (heh) something to get bent out of shape about.

As for barbed hooks I'm in complete agreement. I started crimping the barbs on all my hooks years ago and haven't looked back. I buy barbless when I can, even going so far as to replace any and all treble hooks on my lures with single barbless. You don't really lose any more fish and catch and release is so much easier.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

LingcodKilla posted:

I'll never noodle. Never.

gently caress snapping turtles.
I tried it as a kid, it's a kind of creepy feeling to just stick your arm underwater and grab a fish by the mouth, and since it's mostly in the south, I was loving terrified of gators and snapping turtles so every piece of flotsam that brushed my arm just about made me wet myself.

Barbs gently caress up my safe-release net too, since it's not one of those neat silicone coated ones. I got tired of sewing up holes that got torn/cut in it when I had to remove a barb from my net mesh, and the only stuff I use with barbs anymore are salmon lures because it's frustrating as hell to lose a salmon.

That Tenkara USA link is seriously LOL though, I can only imagine how horrified those japanese dudes were when dorky white dude pulled out his blade and started pretending he was Miyamoto Musashi... That's the epitome of white-privilege.jpeg.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 10, 2016

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

We can't use barbs on salmon in CA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I debarb all my trebles or switch them out with single hooks, which I have hand limited luck with. I need to get a more accurate scale so I can try and keep lures running correctly. I am sure I will end up debarbing everything, but right now I need more practice fighting.

I also think I have finally accepted that I have been, in general, using too light a rod for almost everything. My mainstay has been a L weight spinning rod and the other week I got a great deal on a St Croix ML. Even throwing a tiny little Ned rig, the improvement in casting and more Importantly, hook sets, was very noticeable. I also now accept I have been using way too heavy line on most of my reels which compounds my casting issues with lighter tackle.

So a I did the sensible thing and ordered a custom ML to replace the L as my "only brining one rod" rod. I suspect I am going to have to sell another gun this summer if I keep this up.