Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"Alright girls, what do we say to the police?"
"Nothing!"

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

PLAINTIVE WAIL

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I always think Steven Pasquale is the guy who played Keith Dudemeister at first.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Was Fuhrman the one arresting Cochran in the beginning? My internet was loving up during that scene.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Hey, its Bert Cooper.

This show has everyone!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm trying to win

drat

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:catstare: Oh no he didn't

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I loving love this show.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Lmao

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't think OJ did it any more

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm pretty sure Cochrane helped OJ !

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Did that really happen?

Edit: yup http://articles.latimes.com/1995-01-26/news/mn-24707_1_o-j-simpson-murder-trial

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 2, 2016

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That was my very first thought when that dude said "World War II memorabilia" :smith:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh my gosh this show keeps getting better?

Last episode was one of the best hours of TV but this was better.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Another great episode, really like this show. The cuts back and forth between the prosecution and the defense near the beginning was such a good way to convey the main bullet points that each side plans to hit, also gives us an idea of the various personalities involved and the height of the stakes.

Couldn't help but feel bad for Darden in this one, seems like he just can't catch a break. Well, I guess the promotion at the end of the episode was good for him in theory, but given what we all know about the outcome of the case it'll just end up being another loss for poor Chris.

I almost don't want to know the answer to this question because it could be considered a 'spoiler' (though that seems ridiculous given the circumstances) but was Cochran's advice to Chris at OJ's house sincere or was he trying to psyche him into questioning Fuhrman? Obviously Chris couldn't tell and I don't know enough about the trial to know exactly how that examination plays out.

Speaking of OJ's house: what the gently caress. How could that possibly help the jurors reach a decision, and how in the hell is it okay for the defense to redecorate his house like that before they see it??

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

timp posted:

Speaking of OJ's house: what the gently caress. How could that possibly help the jurors reach a decision, and how in the hell is it okay for the defense to redecorate his house like that before they see it??

Those things are normally done (in my country at least) so that when they say "he jumped the back wall and went up stairs and changed" etc they have a point of reference instead of having to rely on house plans as evidence. Basically it's so they can see the things for themselves.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I picked up the book and it's fantastic. I'm trying to keep up with the show but things aren't quite chronological. Something I'm surprised they didn't spend more time on was Clark's dismissal of the focus group testing. I know there were the scenes about Clark's/Nicole's unfavorables vs. OJ's favorables and the racial divide, but the book really hammers it that Clark's insistence that black women loved her in the face of a mountain of evidence saying they were the most likely to A) still see OJ as innocent B) see Nicole as "deserving it" is one of the major parts of losing the case before it started.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

weekly font posted:

I picked up the book and it's fantastic. I'm trying to keep up with the show but things aren't quite chronological. Something I'm surprised they didn't spend more time on was Clark's dismissal of the focus group testing. I know there were the scenes about Clark's/Nicole's unfavorables vs. OJ's favorables and the racial divide, but the book really hammers it that Clark's insistence that black women loved her in the face of a mountain of evidence saying they were the most likely to A) still see OJ as innocent B) see Nicole as "deserving it" is one of the major parts of losing the case before it started.

Yep. The show certainly did a good job representing the defense's sheer and unrestrained delight when Clark accepted that jury, though.

I liked the Windows 3.1 cameo this episode.

And to each comments that have been made in this thread pretty much weekly: Courtney B. Vance is superb.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Lol at Furman being made a literal nazi

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Yeah the Nazi thing was hilarious.

Let's cast him even more Aryan ubermensch looking than the actual guy and having him listening to some Wagner while he lovingly polishes an Iron Cross!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

He's like that gun store owner from Falling Down.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

so is Furhman a real Neo Nazi at all because loving lol, it's so Ryan Murphy-esque to be as unsubtle as possible

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

But gossip or no, the question of Nazi memorabilia did become part of the case. According to CNN’s transcription of a 1995 CourtTV account, Judge Lance Ito “refused to let the defense see papers linked to allegations Fuhrman had Nazi paraphernalia at his desk.” And in 1996—well after the “not guilty” verdict had been read—Johnnie Cochran told The San Francisco Chronicle:

Darden also knew that Fuhrman was a bad guy. He knew he collected Nazi memorabilia; he knew his past record. I went over to him at the trial because I had respect for him, and I said don’t, as a black man, take Fuhrman (as a witness); you’ll be used. After all, I didn’t question Fuhrman -- I had Bailey do it. Well, Chris read all kinds of things into that, but I wanted to help him.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/03/mark-fuhrman-nazi-people-vs-oj

Well how about that.

edit: It also answers that question another goon ahd about whether or not Cochran was being sincere.

double edit: I didn't realise that Johnny Cochran is played by the guy who was Seaman Jones in Hunt For the Red October.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 3, 2016

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
They found a buried knife at OJ's house - in 1998, and it was kept by an off-duty cop until now for insane reasons.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/03/04/oj-simpson-knife-found-murders-nicole-brown/

quote:

The story is incredible. We're told a construction worker found the knife years ago -- we have heard several different stories, ranging from "several years ago" to 1998, when the house was demolished.
The weapon is a folding buck knife.
Our law enforcement sources say the construction worker took the knife to the street, where he saw an LAPD cop. He told the officer where he found the knife and the cop took it.
Turns out the cop -- who worked in the traffic division -- was off duty at the time, working security for a movie shoot at a house across the street on Rockingham. Our sources say the officer took the knife home and kept it ... kept it for years.
In late January of this year, after the cop retired from the LAPD, he contacted a friend who worked in LAPD's Robbery Homicide Division (RHD). The cop told the friend about the knife and said he was getting it framed to put on his wall. He wanted his friend to get the DR (Departmental Record) number for the Nicole Brown Simpson/Ronald Goldman murder case, which he planned on engraving in the frame.
We're told the friend was indignant, and told his superiors. The brass was outraged and demanded that the retired cop turn the knife over, which he did.
Our sources say the knife is currently being tested for hair and fingerprints. It will be moved to the Serology Unit next week, where it will be tested for DNA and other biological evidence.
One source familiar with the investigation tells us, cops who eyeballed the knife think it could have blood residue on it, but it's hard to know without testing because it's extremely rusted and stained.
The investigation is top secret. It's been logged into the LAPD's computer system outside the official case file to maintain security. Our sources say, since O.J. was found not guilty, it's still an open case. That means cops can continue investigating, but O.J. cannot be prosecuted again -- double jeopardy.

Corek fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 4, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Corek posted:

They found a buried knife at OJ's house - in 1998, and it was kept by an off-duty cop until now for insane reasons.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/03/04/oj-simpson-knife-found-murders-nicole-brown/

There's something about this case that just makes everyone act like idiots.

This was probably OJ's monkey paw wish - "I will not be convicted of murder".

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
How loving stupid do you have to be to tell another officer you may be holding on to OJs murder weapon since 1998?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TheBizzness posted:

How loving stupid do you have to be to tell another officer you may be holding on to OJs murder weapon since 1998?
I mean, it's the LAPD...

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Question for the law experts in this thread: I know OJ can't be tried again, but if they do discover this knife has blood and DNA on it, what can happen? Surely something has to happen seeing as this is a substantial piece of evidence.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

fart blood posted:

Question for the law experts in this thread: I know OJ can't be tried again, but if they do discover this knife has blood and DNA on it, what can happen? Surely something has to happen seeing as this is a substantial piece of evidence.

I was going to ask you how much you cared given his kidnapping and robbery sentence, but apparently he's already out on parole.

The sentencing is still a justice boner, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFugrhFyV-4

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Propaganda Machine posted:

I was going to ask you how much you cared given his kidnapping and robbery sentence, but apparently he's already out on parole.

The sentencing is still a justice boner, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFugrhFyV-4

I thought he wasn't up for parole until 2017.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
He got parole for some charges, but there are others that he can't get paroled on until another year or something, so he's still behind bars, for now at least.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
I wonder if towards the end of the series they're going to touch on the idea that Jason Simpson (O.J.'s son) is actually the one who committed the murderers.

http://www.businessinsider.com/oj-simpson-murders-and-jason-simpson-2014-6

The guy who came up with this theory is a private investigator and has written two books on the subject.

If you read the first link it's actually quite a compelling and convincing argument. It explains why the glove didn't fit (leather doesn't shrink), the animal hairs on the black cap, etc.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I remember a rumor that his gloves didn't fit because he went off the arthritis medicine he was taking. Can't remember where I got this from though, it may be a common theory

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Maldoror posted:

I wonder if towards the end of the series they're going to touch on the idea that Jason Simpson (O.J.'s son) is actually the one who committed the murderers.

I always heard this theory but never really gave it much credence until I read that Business Insider link, good stuff.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

fart blood posted:

I doubt the knife would even be admissible given that it was sitting in a cop's house for 20 years.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Maldoror posted:

The guy who came up with this theory is a private investigator and has written two books on the subject.

If you read the first link it's actually quite a compelling and convincing argument. It explains why the glove didn't fit (leather doesn't shrink), the animal hairs on the black cap, etc.

I've heard the theory for a bit now and it's pretty drat sound.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I kinda want to see the knife that was just uncovered get retroactively inserted into the show, completely changing the course of events and introducing the world to an alternate timeline version of the O.J. trial.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Maldoror posted:

I thought leather shrinks when wet and frozen

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Marcia's getting the Farrah :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Hell yea, Seal

:lol: @ the rick james comment

• Locked thread