Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Thisuck posted:

Man, Tasigur has a lot more swag than Jeb. Jeb is like Angus Mackenzie

How does Jeb feel about bananas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Sorry, here's an update:

Tasigur: Rubio
Meandering Towershell: Bush

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

whydirt posted:

Sorry, here's an update:

Tasigur: Rubio
Meandering Towershell: Bush
Bear's Companion : Ben Carson

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

AgentSythe posted:

it's mystic snake and it's not close

I'm pretty sure you're right. Hard counter with a gently caress you chump blocker for 4.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Sigma-X posted:

Again, terrible. I could see them printing this as like a 5/5 or better in a set that brought back Evolve or whatever Experiment One's ability is.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sigma-X posted:

This got me wondering what other unglued cards could show up:

This actually seems like an interesting control card for a superfriends type deck.

This is just terrible unless you're playing a Zedruu deck.

This would also be lovely, but works

This really should be a red card but this seems pretty reasonable to print.

Doesn't this exist in non-chicken form somewhere?

Again, terrible. I could see them printing this as like a 5/5 or better in a set that brought back Evolve or whatever Experiment One's ability is.

I want this to exist.

Hey look, it's Forecast, years before it would be printed

Oh hello, Enter The Infinite

This would be broken as poo poo in multiplayer

I feel like they've done this basic concept with tribes somewhere

I don't even know that this guy would be broken if they printed him.

Checks could show up if it didn't have the unnecessary "must be 3+ player game" on it.

I'm not 100% sure on mentioning teammates in rules text being "allowed" in the way it is written here, but Imperial Mask does it. AFAIK Six Sided Die are not a recognized Magic object so that cut out a lot of the otherwise playable cards from unglued.

man i would absolutely shatter the world with Incoming in Omnath EDH

"ok so its turn five, i pay 8, now we all get whatever the gently caress we want also my dudes are all Intimidate adn Hexproof and also omnath is a literal 400/400 with trample, swing, bear umbra kicks in, omnath is an 800/800, i win"

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
So just watched some VOD of the GP. Gabby and Marshal were a great pair in the booth.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Saffron Olive's modern goblins deck (currently like 3x its price since posting the article) is great. I built the non-budget version with Guides (which is still ultra budget for modern) and I'm beating big boy decks here.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Isn't Ultimate Nightmare basically just sorcery speed Comet Storm?

Denied seems good in a heavy discard/probe deck

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Terrible Horse posted:

Saffron Olive's modern goblins deck (currently like 3x its price since posting the article) is great. I built the non-budget version with Guides (which is still ultra budget for modern) and I'm beating big boy decks here.

Article, for the curious. I've been running something very similar and it's a lot of fun. I think the original Bushwhacker is still better but if you run a lot of one-drops then new Whacker is just as good. I also didn't know Mogg Fanatic got a Modern reprint!

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Sigma-X posted:

I don't even know that this guy would be broken if they printed him.

He became Elvish Piper only a short time later. The introduction of the tap in the cost was a big nerf because one of Elvish Piper's problems is just dying to removal before you can do anything with it. But being a four drop is still a tough ask.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Sleep of Bronze posted:

He became Elvish Piper only a short time later. The introduction of the tap in the cost was a big nerf because one of Elvish Piper's problems is just dying to removal before you can do anything with it. But being a four drop is still a tough ask.

Timmy is going to have the same problem unless we're waiting until we have 8 mana to cast him, which sorta defeats the point of the card.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
I may have read that 4 as a 1 ...

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Bleh, I can't decide what I want to play at the Card Kingdom pauper tournament this weekend (mtgo legality / ban list). Expecting a lot of mono black, delver, delver fiend, and a fair share of affinity. Don't want to run elves again because of the terrible mono black matchup. Debating between tron, green stompy, and possibly even Delver. Been repping a lot of games online; stompy has been either crushing or I've been finishing the games with drawing lands while my opponent stabilizes and gradually wipes my threats out, tron I have been just losing to my own deck more frequently than my opponents, and delver has been delver (and everyone is always gunning for you).

Help guide me magic thread... Suicidesteve & other pauper goons speak up!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Dehtraen posted:

Bleh, I can't decide what I want to play at the Card Kingdom pauper tournament this weekend (mtgo legality / ban list). Expecting a lot of mono black, delver, delver fiend, and a fair share of affinity. Don't want to run elves again because of the terrible mono black matchup. Debating between tron, green stompy, and possibly even Delver. Been repping a lot of games online; stompy has been either crushing or I've been finishing the games with drawing lands while my opponent stabilizes and gradually wipes my threats out, tron I have been just losing to my own deck more frequently than my opponents, and delver has been delver (and everyone is always gunning for you).

RUG Tron will easily beat those decks, aside from Delver Fiend, and you can definitely configure your sideboard to put you at an advantage there. The biggest trick to Tron is mulliganing. There can be hands with turn 3 Tron that you have to mull because you can't cast any spells.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Sleep of Bronze posted:

I mean Quicksilver Amulet is the same total cost to cast and activate (as Timmy, I mean), and its upsides (vulnerable to a much smaller swath of removal, no colored requirement) usually outweigh its downside (only one creature per turn) in practice, given the usual use cases.

Quicksilver Amulet was actually niche playable in Standard when it coexisted with ROE, incidentally.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Dehtraen posted:

Play Rhystic Tron. :v:

But actually you probably shouldn't listen to me since I have no idea.

I'm gonna be playing a probably bad Mono-White Tokens deck at my LGS' Pauper tourney. I know there'll be a Mono-Blue Delver, a Mono-Black Control and I think a Kiln Fiend deck there at least.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 2, 2016

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Isn't Ultimate Nightmare basically just sorcery speed Comet Storm?

Denied seems good in a heavy discard/probe deck

It's comet storm in most cases. I think it works differently with effects that change targets. Like, you can't use spellskite on an ultimate nightmare that's targeting a player.

Denied is just straight up really good. You'd play it in any deck that could cast it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Algid posted:

Bear's Companion : Ben Carson

Isn't that actually Lindsey Graham?

Dehtraen posted:

Play U/B Teachings.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Hellsau posted:

Play U/B Teachings.

I don't think I have enough reps in for teachings with all the singletons, that being said evincar's justice locking out creature decks is really amusing though.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Voyager I posted:

Timmy is going to have the same problem unless we're waiting until we have 8 mana to cast him, which sorta defeats the point of the card.

Nah, you just vial him in.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dehtraen posted:

Slivers is not great, but it is suuuper fun. I'm gonna miss this one though, but if I were in town I'd be playing Slivers.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

How does Jeb feel about bananas?

He'd want one, but then realized that no one else wants him to have the banana and just gives up.

What was the website that you can search a deck and get a bunch of vods for it?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Dehtraen posted:

I just started playing Acid Trip and it's the most fun I've ever had playing either pauper or control.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Literally The Worst posted:

man i would absolutely shatter the world with Incoming in Omnath EDH

"ok so its turn five, i pay 8, now we all get whatever the gently caress we want also my dudes are all Intimidate adn Hexproof and also omnath is a literal 400/400 with trample, swing, bear umbra kicks in, omnath is an 800/800, i win"

At the low, low downside of instantly assembling any instant-win combos in anyone's deck and the game ending before you get to swing.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Dehtraen posted:

Goblins. Goblins is the best aggro deck in the format.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 2, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ZeroCount posted:

At the low, low downside of instantly assembling any instant-win combos in anyone's deck and the game ending before you get to swing.

Worth it

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Pls return to the EDH Quarantine Zone thx.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Thisuck posted:

He'd want one, but then realized that no one else wants him to have the banana and just gives up.

What was the website that you can search a deck and get a bunch of vods for it?

Sounds like https://www.mtgcoverage.com to me

Mezzanon posted:

I just started playing Acid Trip and it's the most fun I've ever had playing either pauper or control.
I've played Acid trip before, fun but it takes a little bit too long to win

rabidsquid posted:

No goblin grenade. And There are a lot of electrickery / shrivel effects running around too. Fun deck though. Friend of mine runs it and it frequently just rolls over whatever his opponents are doing

Cactrot posted:

Slivers is not great, but it is suuuper fun. I'm gonna miss this one though, but if I were in town I'd be playing Slivers.
Aww, wonder if any of the other goons are gonna make it out.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

rabidsquid posted:

I believe it just won a league :smuggo:

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
I apologize if this is a question that has been asked a lot, but does anyone have any advice on getting into this hobby for casual play with friends and family? I've been enjoying Magic Duels and want to give it a shot in real life. Not planning on doing tournaments or anything, just drinking beer and playing at a kitchen table, etc.

Was looking at different options from Deck Builder's Toolkit, Fat Pack, Intro Packs, Duel Decks, etc or even the 1,000 cards for $12 from Coolstuff. I don't mind dropping a bit of cash and I can order from Amazon, Coolstuff, Cardhaus, etc. Thanks in advance!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just get duel decks. A new one just came out, they're cheap and balanced

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 2, 2016

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lump Shaker posted:

Was looking at different options from Deck Builder's Toolkit, Fat Pack, Intro Packs, Duel Decks, etc or even the 1,000 cards for $12 from Coolstuff. I don't mind dropping a bit of cash and I can order from Amazon, Coolstuff, Cardhaus, etc. Thanks in advance!
Never get repacks. You'll be paying for cards you can get just by stopping into any game store after a draft/FNM for free. Going to FNM is a great way to meet people who play and pick up some free cards, since a lot of people who win packs open them, take what they need, and leave the rest on a table. If you say "I'm new" there's a very good chance you will get a crate full of cards in short order.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Blessed vs Cursed is also a really good Duel Deck on top of being affordable.

deftest
May 7, 2011
What's all this, then?

https://twitter.com/Wizards_MagicEU/status/704957170002038784

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Isn't that how Griselbrand got out last time?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
All the previous talk of 2 power creatures had me going through gatherer for a bit last night, and I was reminded that Anarchist is a card.

Also, Cartographer's Odyssey printing is probably on my runner up list simply for having amazing art.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

JerryLee posted:

I just realized that unlike most Un-set cards, there appears to be nothing mechanically stopping Uktabi Kong from being reprinted in a "real" set. Aside from I guess maybe the mildly fourth-wall-breaking name? (I'm assuming they could replace the art and/or flavor text if they felt the need.)

That'd be a pretty cool thing for them to do someday. It's not like having it in a set instead of whatever other lovely Timmy rare would devastate limited or constructed formats.

They've done near functional reprints of un-cards in black border before.
cf.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

Lump Shaker posted:

I apologize if this is a question that has been asked a lot, but does anyone have any advice on gets like ting into this hobby for casual play with friends and family? I've been enjoying Magic Duels and want to give it a shot in real life. Not planning on doing tournaments or anything, just drinking beer and playing at a kitchen table, etc

Definitely the new duel deck, its very well balanced and has some fun mechanics. If you decide you like Magic, then I would recommend building some pauper decks.
Pauper is the full Magic experience, with all the fun and complexity, but at a reasonable price. It can be hard to find other paper players, but if you have a social group playing magic already then you are over the major hurdle of pauper. There is a list of some of the most popular decks here http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/pauper#paper

Oh yeah, the newest pre-built Commander decks are also great for kitchen table play. Tons of cool things going after each other

Chairman Pow! fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lump Shaker posted:

I apologize if this is a question that has been asked a lot, but does anyone have any advice on getting into this hobby for casual play with friends and family? I've been enjoying Magic Duels and want to give it a shot in real life. Not planning on doing tournaments or anything, just drinking beer and playing at a kitchen table, etc.

lemme tell you about the glory of commander precons smashing each other in the face

• Locked thread