Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Isn't that a bitch to clean though?

Look man you either want a smooth sauce or you don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Point taken.

So after having used it for a few months I just really hate the rail-guided hand guard that comes with the Bron mandolin. It only seems to work well with making short slices like coins and sucked at French fries and lengthwise juliennes. I bought the after-market free hand guard for $35. A bit pricey but it works way better. If you're thinking of buying a Bron, see if you can buy one that comes with the black plastic hand guard instead.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
What about those kevlar gloves that Alton Brown recommends?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
They're great to use but I get annoyed with having to wash them. I would put a rubber glove over it to keep it from getting food stains and therefore avoid having to wash it, but that got a little annoying too.

edit:

Anyone want a used, good-as-new food pusher for their Bron slicer? $50 shipped.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 26, 2016

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Steve Yun posted:

They're great to use but I get annoyed with having to wash them. I would put a rubber glove over it to keep it from getting food stains and therefore avoid having to wash it, but that got a little annoying too.

That's a bit, uh, exotic.

It's a mesh glove. Soak/scrub it in some hot soapy water, rinse it and hang it on the dish rack to dry.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Anybody have experience with induction cooktops (like induction hotplates)? Not a full stove just like 1 burner you plug in to the wall.

I'm moving into an apartment soon and I think it's going to have an electric coil stove that's seriously old. It's got ganged switches for burner power instead of a knob! So I'm thinking of getting an induction burner so I'm not stuck with a stove that looks like it belongs in black & white TV.

Are all induction burners stuck with discrete power levels? The ones I see on Amazon just have digital buttons to change the power level which is still pretty terrible. Plus they only have a handful of power levels which is also frustrating. I'm used to gas burners where I can get a lot of play in the power.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I have this one, and it seems to work great, but I still prefer my gas stove whenever possible.

http://www.amazon.com/1800-Watt-Portable-Induction-Countertop-8100MC/dp/B0045QEPYM

My only complaint is the cooling fan spins crazy fast and makes an audible whine noise, which can be annoying but wasn't bad enough to return it or avoid using it.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Eeyo posted:

Anybody have experience with induction cooktops (like induction hotplates)? Not a full stove just like 1 burner you plug in to the wall.

I'm moving into an apartment soon and I think it's going to have an electric coil stove that's seriously old. It's got ganged switches for burner power instead of a knob! So I'm thinking of getting an induction burner so I'm not stuck with a stove that looks like it belongs in black & white TV.

Are all induction burners stuck with discrete power levels? The ones I see on Amazon just have digital buttons to change the power level which is still pretty terrible. Plus they only have a handful of power levels which is also frustrating. I'm used to gas burners where I can get a lot of play in the power.

They all have discrete power levels AFAIK. My Max Burton had 10 (I rarely used anything higher than 5 except for finishing steaks) power levels and a really bad temperature based control. But my new baby Vollrath Mirage G4 has a 100 power levels and the temperature control is actually fairly good (it overshoots a shitload but it settles just right, pretty decent for maintaining a perfect-ish 15 PSI on my kuhn). I got the G4 for a steal off eBay, got kinda lucky because it was dead on arrival but I fixed it pretty easy and ended paying ~$200 for a near brand new unit after I told the seller I had to go get it fixed and he sent me a refund.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Eeyo posted:

There's one I can't remember the name up that's new, and has fine-enough control for sous vide. I'll try to remember, I think it starts with "P" and is from GE.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone have a recommendation for a spiralizer? I looked back a few pages and didn't find anything (besides a few goons dismissing it as a fad :ohdear:)

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a spiralizer? I looked back a few pages and didn't find anything (besides a few goons dismissing it as a fad :ohdear:)

http://www.amazon.com/Benriner-BN7-Cook-Helper-Slicer/dp/B000BI6CZ8/ - I have this one and have been pretty happy with it for doing things like making zucchini noodles or slicing daikon for sushi.

http://www.amazon.com/Benriner-BN5-Turner-Slicer/dp/B00032RZUS - If you've the spare cash, this version will probably be nicer. A nitpick I have about the one I own is that there is very little space underneath it. You end up have to clear the space after shredding a single vegetable.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Do NOT get one of those lovely knockoff handheld spiralizer things. I got one for $6 (not even a Vegetti) and it A: made flat, not square noodles, and B: crushed the cells too much so there was a lot of water leakage out of the product.

I haven't used a Vegetti™ brand one so I don't know if it's any better.

Anne Watley uses one of these and says it works well:
http://www.amazon.com/Microplane-Sp...lane+spiralizer

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Is there any reason I should avoid the Kitchenaid Pro 5 Plus if I can get it for significantly cheaper than the Pro 600? The only real differences seem to be 1 quart of bowl capacity and a somewhat more powerful motor, neither of which I care *that* much about.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I say go for it. Most recipes are going to be written for the smaller bowl size anyways.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've got a Presto 8 quart stainless steel pressure cooker on the way since it'll be a lot cheaper to cook all the beans I eat from dry bought in bulk from the local Indian grocer than use can after can. I've never used a pressure cooker before and was browsing the manual earlier. How many of the precautions should I actually pay heed to? I know I have to leave some space in it so I'll adhere to the "only fill 2/3" rule. What about not cooking beans or certain other things because they foam? How much of an issue is that, actually? Just wondering about some of the more well known newbie questions having to do with pressure cookers. Thanks!

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I cook more beans in my pressure cooker than anything else. Just squirt a tablespoon or two of oil in with the water to reduce foaming. Even that's probably unnecessary. I've got the presto and I've found that 1# of beans to 6C water for 32-35 minutes usually comes out perfect for me.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Thoht posted:

I cook more beans in my pressure cooker than anything else. Just squirt a tablespoon or two of oil in with the water to reduce foaming. Even that's probably unnecessary. I've got the presto and I've found that 1# of beans to 6C water for 32-35 minutes usually comes out perfect for me.

That's without soaking, right?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I'm so stoked. I wandered into my local thrift store this morning and found a huge 8QT enameled cast iron dutch oven for $20 in perfect condition. I've been eying new ones for months now and they were all selling for $150-250.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

The Midniter posted:

That's without soaking, right?

Correct.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the recommendation up thread for the cheap Japanese mandolin. I have no idea how I've cooked this long without it. What kinds of awesome upgrades would I get if I sprung for a fancier one? My birthday is coming up and I'm thinking about asking for a nice one or buying one with my birthday money if the upgrade is worth it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You're fine with the Benriner if you use a cut-proof glove with it. I think the hand guard it comes with is really annoying. You can continue to use it for the rest of your life and be happy with it; my mom has been using hers for 30 years and has never sharpened it once.

If you pay more for mandolines, they usually come in a shape that comes with legs, which allows a lot of sliced vegetables to pile up beneath them. Nicer ones will also come with a handy hand guard. These are not must-haves.

In the OP we also have recommendations for the Swissmar Borner ($40):
http://www.amazon.com/Swissmar-Born...swissmar+morner

And the Bron ($140):
http://www.amazon.com/Original-Stainless-Steel-Mandolin-Slicer/dp/B0001BMZ38/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446687652&sr=8-1&keywords=bron+slicer

I think some Bed Bath and Beyonds carry the Bron for $150 so if you use a 20% off coupon, you can get one for $120. Keep in mind however that the hand guard is really inconvenient if you're not doing crosswise slices of hand-sized vegetables, so you should think about either getting the much nicer plastic hand guard for $30 or using a cut-proof glove.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 18, 2016

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
There used to be a baller as gently caress cutting board website that seemed to specialize in that and had a really simple website like cutting boards dot com (which doesn't seem like it) but maybe I'm confusing them with pizzastone.com. Anyone know where I'm talking about?

This is for a nice gift or else yeah I'd just go get the Ikea or whatever.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
http://www.cuttingboard.com/

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The Midniter posted:

I've got a Presto 8 quart stainless steel pressure cooker on the way since it'll be a lot cheaper to cook all the beans I eat from dry bought in bulk from the local Indian grocer than use can after can. I've never used a pressure cooker before and was browsing the manual earlier. How many of the precautions should I actually pay heed to? I know I have to leave some space in it so I'll adhere to the "only fill 2/3" rule. What about not cooking beans or certain other things because they foam? How much of an issue is that, actually? Just wondering about some of the more well known newbie questions having to do with pressure cookers. Thanks!

I haven't tested this, but they have at least a few safety features that should prevent over-pressure. There's a rubber burst cap that should blow at a reasonable pressure, and there's a little pin that prevents opening the handle under pressure. It seems like the pin would also blow at some point since it's just a thick gasket holding it in place, but I don't know if that's true.

I think the only dangerous thing you could do (other than leaving it unattended or something) would be to directly take off the rocker since that would produce a very dangerous jet of high pressure steam out of the top.

Keep in mind also that pressure cooker accidents aren't that common. If you query a national database of statistics for accidents, you find that they estimate ~1500 people were involved in a pressure cooker accident with emergency room treatment during 2014. A lot of those are bound to be people touching the cooker (they get pretty hot!) and other accidents that are avoidable.

So you're probably safe from dying in a horrific pressure cooker accident. But be safe anyway!

Edit: From reading the reports, a whole lot of them were actually premature opening of the pressure cooker. The Presto should prevent that but just make sure the pin is completely down before opening it!

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 22, 2016

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Eeyo posted:

I haven't tested this, but they have at least a few safety features that should prevent over-pressure. There's a rubber burst cap that should blow at a reasonable pressure, and there's a little pin that prevents opening the handle under pressure. It seems like the pin would also blow at some point since it's just a thick gasket holding it in place, but I don't know if that's true.

I think the only dangerous thing you could do (other than leaving it unattended or something) would be to directly take off the rocker since that would produce a very dangerous jet of high pressure steam out of the top.

Keep in mind also that pressure cooker accidents aren't that common. If you query a national database of statistics for accidents, you find that they estimate ~1500 people were involved in a pressure cooker accident with emergency room treatment during 2014. A lot of those are bound to be people touching the cooker (they get pretty hot!) and other accidents that are avoidable.

So you're probably safe from dying in a horrific pressure cooker accident. But be safe anyway!

Edit: From reading the reports, a whole lot of them were actually premature opening of the pressure cooker. The Presto should prevent that but just make sure the pin is completely down before opening it!

Thanks...I had my first pressure cooking experience this weekend and did end up slightly scorching my thumb when I took the cover off. The pressure was fully dissipated but there was still a nice cloud of steam that came out. It taught me to wear some pot holders when I take it off moving forward.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

:razz: I guess it was this one and they just spiffied their web site.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Oh my god this website has my favorite cutting board for sale which I despaired at ever finding again because I bought two on hellah clearance at west elm and they didn't have a logo. Mine are at the point of needing to be retired and I thought I'd have to settle for something not as good.

You have just made my entire MONTH.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I'm curious what this magical board was

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

I'm curious what this magical board was

The plastic ones of course...?

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe
Architec gripper board. I have a nice wooden board but honestly I like the Architec better. It doesn't move on the counter, and I can chuck it in the dishwasher.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

For moving on the counter, a damp paper towel underneath is my go-to.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Or the rubber rings from canning (shoutout CdC).

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Halp,

which cream whipper should I get? The iSi profi is amazingly low priced right now at $55 but I came across this other one that has good reviews for 30 http://www.amazon.com/Impeccable-Cu..._=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

The latter can do hot as well as cold, but according to steveyun you can convert the isi profi to do hot with a gasket change.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Thinking about getting a pasta maker, was looking at this one, is this a good one or is there something better?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_i=desktop

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

Halp,

which cream whipper should I get? The iSi profi is amazingly low priced right now at $55 but I came across this other one that has good reviews for 30 http://www.amazon.com/Impeccable-Cu..._=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

The latter can do hot as well as cold, but according to steveyun you can convert the isi profi to do hot with a gasket change.

I only have Dave Arnold's testimony to go by, but on his radio show he says he tried other whippers and was never satisfied because they leaked. He recommends sticking with iSi.

Also I am :argh: because I just bought this same whipper yesterday when it was at a historic low of $63

edit: chatted with Amazon, they adjusted the price. Awesome!

edit2: also, I am NOT suggesting you do this, but Dave says they're so well made that he regularly pressurizes them higher than they're rated for. In his book he has a chart with the pint and quart iSi whippers and says what pressure you can expect for how many chargers you put in, and under the column for putting two chargers on the pint model it says "N/A" and says not to do this because it's against iSi's safety warnings, but if you read the body text he talks about how he often puts two chargers on the pint model with no problems.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 24, 2016

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Flaggy posted:

Thinking about getting a pasta maker, was looking at this one, is this a good one or is there something better?

The atlas is more or less the standard for hand cranked pasta makers.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Flaggy posted:

That's the one I have at home and it's awesome. Can't say for certain that it's the best since I've never tried out others, though.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

AnonSpore posted:

That's the one I have at home and it's awesome. Can't say for certain that it's the best since I've never tried out others, though.

This is my opinion, too.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

GrAviTy84 posted:

Halp,

The profi gourmet has other differences that make it hardier (the valve works slightly differently) but the main piece that makes it hot-friendly is this guy: http://www.creamright.com/product/PRT-WCD-IS3031.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The atlas is more or less the standard for hand cranked pasta makers.

Huh. Noticed a couple of days ago that my favourite woodworking tool site carries the Atlas and was wondering if it was any good. Better price than what a Canadian can get on Amazon.com or .ca while our petrodollar is in the crapper.