Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Devlan Mud posted:

Shut up about games that aren't out yet and discuss new Conquest mechanics, you dumb sperglords.

Bless you for trying to steer us away from this dumb derail.

Deep Strike looks fun, sorta reminds me of Morph from MTG, which was definitely a fun mechanic. It's different from Ambush in that it's more strategic, whereas Ambush is more tactical. That is, ambush can definitely help you win a planet, but Deep Strike may force someone to overcommit to one planet (because WHAT IF), which would leave them vulnerable in the future to various effects. I also imagine there will be Deep Strike cards that function as traps, especially in Chaos and Orks (e.g., Deep Strike, do 1 damage to all units at planet, or something).

The issue is that the design on those Deep Strike cards needs to be TIGHT. Like I dunno how many they were planning per faction, but you can't have one Deep Strike card be like a Klaivex and the rest be like, Power From Pain.

I do like the Elite focus, but we'll see if they actually make something out of that. More strong effects that target non-elites would probably be a good first step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

GrandpaPants posted:

The issue is that the design on those Deep Strike cards needs to be TIGHT. Like I dunno how many they were planning per faction, but you can't have one Deep Strike card be like a Klaivex and the rest be like, Power From Pain.

Agreed. In order for Deep Strike to have effective bluffing components, decks will need to have access to several valid and powerful cards - probably at least two to three. They can make that easier by making Deep Strike cards nonloyal, but we'll definitely have to see a lot of strong options for things to really work well. (That was the problem with Morph, where each deck had very few Morph cards it plausibly wanted to play, so the surprise factor was not there.)

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

To be fair, the bluffing component isn't all that necessary. There's plenty of magic decks that run only one morph dude. It can work fine as a cost reduction/delay mechanic, or having an effect trigger upon reveal. I just hope this means they're planning on bringing shadow back for AGoT.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'm more shocked by them not revealing a Warlord this cycle. Are they being skipped this time around?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

I still think the game needs new planets, or a tweak to that mechanic. I was discussing it with a couple of people last weekend after the store championship we had and the game still seems to depend extremely heavily on command. One bad command round just seems to put you way behind. I'm starting to think having cards and money being attached to command struggle is a bit much, but that could be my lack of experience/sucking at the game (I hadn't played previously for a few months).

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

GrandpaPants posted:

That Deep Strike demon event looks like it has the potential to get out of loving control.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
@Fetterkey, since you seem to have followed the development of Codex. Why is it not synchronous? Wouldn't having the flow or actions like in Conquest and Mage Wars actually make it more real time? Was that ever tested during development? Seems like it would be much better than having players take turns in a game meant emulate realtime strategy. Such an obvious mechanic not to copy from Mage Wars. You could do like Game of Thrones and Conquest where you pass the initiative for timing priority.

Another mechanic I haven't seen used beyond the one game is buying cards to the top of your deck instead of your discard pile, as you do in Mage Knight:TBG. Putting the cards from your Codex on top of your deck feels like it would speed the game up a lot and allow you to get into combos faster as well as respond to other players tricks sooner. Really emulating the flow of RTS countering.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Deep Strike looks fun! Reminds me mostly of Shadow cards from first edition AGOT. So far we have a loyal Chaos event, a non-loyal Chaos unit, and a loyal Space Marine attachment for Deep Strike cards. The non-loyal Chaos unit looks decent, if not spectacular, in non-Chaos decks, so as long as each faction gets three or four Deep Strike cards, at least one of which is non-loyal, I think Deep Strike will be in a good place.

As for Warlords, maybe they'll only do one a pack? With nine factions, not every faction would get a Warlord, but after the Necrons box, every faction should have three warlords, so I think it would be okay. Two new Warlords per faction every three cycles sounds like a decent pace, not to mention anything we get from deluxe boxes.

Speaking of deluxe expansions, have we heard anything about how those will be handled after the Necrons are released?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I imagine they're probably going to the Netrunner model where IDs/warlords are more spaced out. It was probably more important for them to put out some number of warlords initially for the sake of variety, unless you're dark Eldar I guess (I don't know how the new one is). I imagine Necron will get a new one this cycle to bring them up to par.

I think future deluxes will just focus on one faction, plus one or two cards for the other factions.

Given how this cycle is focusing on a struggle at a planet, I wonder if they'll make the planet a card. The only issue is that planets need to come in threes for the sake of balance. Or just have all three icons, but that seems like it might have its own problems (play a game where the first two planets are three icon planets. They're very weird).

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Salaine Morn or whatever the new Dark Eldar warlord is called has the weirdest art I've seen so far in this game :psyduck: It just looks off.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

I dont think Deep Strike needs the bluff component. It'll certainly help it, but if I pay 1 to put the lets-say Tyranid deep strike creature on planet 1, you know its a 4/3 ravener or whatever their one card is you now HAVE to deal with it if I have the resources to flip it, or you let me have the planet and it only cost me the one to force you out.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
A game of Codex was 1-2 hours, before the change to be asynchronous.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Look at this Stark power rushing. Look at it!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/3/2/family-duty-honor/

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

I'm actually kinda worried what these sets will do to the game. This should be dropping before regionals, and having one faction gaining that many more cards than the others could be unbalancing. They really should've focused on at least two factions per deluxe expansion, at this rate they probably won't have them all done for a couple of years or more.

That said, the cards they've previewed are all solid. Loyalist and the Minstrel should be near auto-includes (and another relatively decently costed intrigue dude for Stark is really appreciated), and it does look like there's the makings of a really strong mil power rush deck there.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Azran posted:

Salaine Morn or whatever the new Dark Eldar warlord is called has the weirdest art I've seen so far in this game :psyduck: It just looks off.
In what way? Keep in mind (as noted previously) that Salaine Morn has only appeared in two supplements for Rogue Trader (also published by Fantasy Flight), and thus there's very little official art of her in the first place. Besides her Conquest art (as herself or likely in Last Breath), this is the only other picture of her from canon:

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

PaybackJack posted:

@Fetterkey, since you seem to have followed the development of Codex. Why is it not synchronous? Wouldn't having the flow or actions like in Conquest and Mage Wars actually make it more real time? Was that ever tested during development? Seems like it would be much better than having players take turns in a game meant emulate realtime strategy. Such an obvious mechanic not to copy from Mage Wars. You could do like Game of Thrones and Conquest where you pass the initiative for timing priority.

Another mechanic I haven't seen used beyond the one game is buying cards to the top of your deck instead of your discard pile, as you do in Mage Knight:TBG. Putting the cards from your Codex on top of your deck feels like it would speed the game up a lot and allow you to get into combos faster as well as respond to other players tricks sooner. Really emulating the flow of RTS countering.

I never saw synchronous Codex, but I believe the change was made to speed up the flow of the game and make it easier to play online.

GrandpaPants posted:

I imagine they're probably going to the Netrunner model where IDs/warlords are more spaced out. It was probably more important for them to put out some number of warlords initially for the sake of variety, unless you're dark Eldar I guess (I don't know how the new one is). I imagine Necron will get a new one this cycle to bring them up to par.

I agree. IIRC Brad Andres (the Conquest designer) said on Facebook that there would be more warlords in the cycle - so I think we'll see something like Netrunner, where the early cycles had tons of IDs but the later cycles spread it out more.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

TheHoosier posted:

Runnin out of game companies its okay to give money to. Please dont betray us ffg youre all I have left

They stopped making Diskwars expansions. The greatest injustice in the history of boardgames.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Single Tight Female posted:

They stopped making Diskwars expansions. The greatest injustice in the history of boardgames.

One day the Skaven will rise... One day...

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

NGDBSS posted:

In what way? Keep in mind (as noted previously) that Salaine Morn has only appeared in two supplements for Rogue Trader (also published by Fantasy Flight), and thus there's very little official art of her in the first place. Besides her Conquest art (as herself or likely in Last Breath), this is the only other picture of her from canon:

Same issue I have with Uriel, the style they went for looks completely different to the one on the other Warlord cards. It looks Poser-ish in Morn's case. :v:

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Azran posted:

Same issue I have with Uriel, the style they went for looks completely different to the one on the other Warlord cards. It looks Poser-ish in Morn's case. :v:

I agree, Morn's' warlord art is pretty weird (though I like the rest of her signature squad a lot).

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Is there anywhere on earth to get the Watcher in the Water or Redhorn Gate adventure packs right now?

Foehammer fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 3, 2016

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Speaking of Conquest, what have people been doing with the Tyranids? I know a few people who are interested in the game to play them, and I threw together a quick Old One Eye deck, but I haven't really built Tyranids before.

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Warhammer 40,000: Conquest Deckbuilder

Total Cards: (51)

Warlord:
1x “Old One Eye” (The Great Devourer)

Army Unit: (30)
4x Lurking Hormagaunt (The Great Devourer)
3x Tyranid Warrior (The Great Devourer)
3x Toxic Venomthrope (The Great Devourer)
2x Shrieking Harpy (The Great Devourer)
3x Scything Hormagaunts (The Great Devourer)
3x Ripper Swarm (The Great Devourer)
2x Striking Ravener (Decree of Ruin)
1x Savage Warrior Prime (The Great Devourer)
3x Hunter Gargoyles (The Great Devourer)
3x Virulent Spore Sacs (The Great Devourer)
3x Volatile Pyrovore (The Great Devourer)

Attachment: (5)
1x Great Scything Talons (The Great Devourer)
1x Noxious Fleshborer (The Great Devourer)
2x Promotion (Core Set)
1x Heavy Venom Cannon (The Great Devourer)

Event: (7)
2x Ferocious Strength (The Great Devourer)
3x Spore Burst (The Great Devourer)
2x No Mercy (Core Set)

Support: (9)
1x Awakening Cavern (The Great Devourer)
2x Synaptic Link (The Great Devourer)
2x Spore Chimney (The Great Devourer)
1x Sacaellum Infestors (Boundless Hate)
1x Digestion Pool (The Great Devourer)
2x Brood Chamber (The Great Devourer)

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Foehammer posted:

Is there anywhere on earth to get the Watcher in the Water or Redhorn Gate adventure packs right now?

It's always something isn't it?

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

The problem with tyranids is they are really telegraphed. You have 1 or 2 tricks you can pull and other than that your opponent doesn't have to worry about new units popping in or their unit popping out (if they can count against swarmlord)

Hence so many of us are looking so much forward to the Broodlord and a poo poo ton of ambushes

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Speaking of Conquest, what have people been doing with the Tyranids? I know a few people who are interested in the game to play them, and I threw together a quick Old One Eye deck, but I haven't really built Tyranids before.

I play Tyranids a lot, but being a cycle "behind" the other factions makes their weaknesses a lot more apparently. Notably, they lack a good one drop unit, and I don't think a Termagant build is really there yet. However, they're actually surprisingly good at the command game because of the versatility of their synapse unit, and their combat units seem about 0.5 credits cheaper than what they should be.

Some deck critique:
I've learned to play with 3x Shrieking Harpy since it's just that loving good. It wins games on its own, and is devastating on the match point planet if they're not bringing in at least one Elite, and it better be a loving doozy of an Elite at that.

I play with Termagant Sentries to fill in the aforementioned 1 drop slot, but I'm not happy about it.

That's a lot of attachments that aren't called Regeneration. Play with Regeneration, it's one of the best attachments in the game. Combos ludicrously well with Lurking Hormagaunts, and laughably well with Shrieking Harpy.

On the topic of Shrieking Harpy, I've really liked 2x Predation. It's a good event in that the effect is strong if you need it, but you can guiltlessly use it as a shield when you don't.

I don't like Savage Warrior Prime, since you lose on that command game for a very meh attack unit. I prefer Blazing Zoanthrope personally since they can break command ties and do off-battle damage, but Lictor isn't bad at all to just dominate the command game.

I don't like any of the supports except maybe Brood Chamber, and even then that's mostly to deter against Area Effect. It's sorta useful as a "pass" action though. The rest I feel don't give you enough of a return on your investment, especially Synaptic Link. That's a card you want to play on T1, but you start with 6 resources, and spending 2 to draw a card is kinda lovely when you can play 2 to play a 2 drop like Toxic Venomthrope/Lurking Hormagaunt/Scything Hormagaunt.

For reference, here's the deck I use:

quote:

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Warhammer 40,000: Conquest Deckbuilder

Total Cards: (51)

Warlord:
1x “Old One Eye” (The Great Devourer)

Army Unit: (32)
4x Lurking Hormagaunt (The Great Devourer)
1x Blazing Zoanthrope (The Great Devourer)
3x Hunter Gargoyles (The Great Devourer)
3x Ripper Swarm (The Great Devourer)
3x Scything Hormagaunts (The Great Devourer)
3x Shrieking Harpy (The Great Devourer)
3x Termagant Sentry (The Great Devourer)
3x Toxic Venomthrope (The Great Devourer)
3x Tyranid Warrior (The Great Devourer)
3x Virulent Spore Sacs (The Great Devourer)
3x Volatile Pyrovore (The Great Devourer)

Attachment: (7)
1x Great Scything Talons (The Great Devourer)
3x Promotion (Core Set)
3x Regeneration (The Great Devourer)

Event: (11)
2x Ferocious Strength (The Great Devourer)
2x Dark Cunning (The Great Devourer)
2x Fall Back! (Core Set)
2x Predation (The Great Devourer)
3x Spore Burst (The Great Devourer)

Support: (1)
1x Awakening Cavern (The Great Devourer)

I'd try to find another slot for Dark Cunning because readying dudes is really, really good! And is like the one good Event trick Tyranids have!

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

I'll disagree forever on SWP. You lose command but triggering an extra battle can be great if you grab the draw 3 pick 1 planet. Plus you can wipe out the pirate or whatever your opponent left there.

Especially in OOE the extra health and attack will make your Brütal event swings a lot harder.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

MisterShine posted:

I'll disagree forever on SWP. You lose command but triggering an extra battle can be great if you grab the draw 3 pick 1 planet. Plus you can wipe out the pirate or whatever your opponent left there.

Especially in OOE the extra health and attack will make your Brütal event swings a lot harder.

The issue for me is that the battle trigger isn't as reliable as 1-2 command points, since you need to rely on A) it being available and B) you winning the battle at said planet to trigger it. Obviously you wouldn't trigger a battle where you're likely to lose, but that just decreases your options, whereas a command is almost always useful. A Blazing Zoanthrope can deny a Pirate/Trader, and also kill it, whereas the Lictor can provide the resources to you. And uh, I guess if termagants become viable, there's that one too. They're just such strong economic assets that it feels wasted to just lose that for the chance of killing an Ally and maybe get some bonus. I can maybe see the Genestealer warlord using SWP though, since it provides more ambush opportunities and you can really unexpectedly hamstring deployments meant to setup for future rounds.

I'm trying to make a Gorzod deck and he has the mid-range (3-4 drops) loving COVERED. Anyone have any opinions on whether Land Raiders and the Space Wolves Predator are worthwhile at -1 cost? The Raven Guard Speeder is in, obviously I also wish Kustomization Station was more than a 1 of in the deck because it seems pretty useful if you can make it worth its cost.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

I'm usually more of a fan of the offensive attachments, and I was liking the Heavy Venom Canon for another two shield card, but Regeneration does look good. I'll give that a try.

I'm always a fan of Supports, so I'm going to leave most of them in, but Predation can replace the Shore Chimneys.

Also, d'uh Dark Cunning! I knew I was forgetting something.

Thanks for the advice!

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Play both Regeneration and the 2-shield. Tyranids have such a small card pool at this point that both are auto includes.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah regen is too much of a thorn in the side not to include.

SWP in Broodlord I'm not sold on because you won't be able to take max advantage of ymargl genestealers.

Still think people should try SWP, your opponent gains a resource and a card but also lost a card and a resource for their pirate or whatever. Killing cappers reliably shouldn't be underestimated and you can then route another capper. Or move SWP down the line to kill another capper. Or heal all damage on OOE. The planet abilities are really good and SWP trading blows with a warlord is really funny when you swing for 6 damage, dark cunning, swing for 6 again

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I played a game with Gorzod, against Tyranids and Dark Eldar, and they were really strange experiences. Tyranids were a more even matchup, in that both of us were pretty much army brutes that had minimal tricks, so it was just a matter of econ and tactics. Dark Eldar wrecked me, though, but they also drew up all their tricks (2x Archon's Terror, Archon's Palace, Klaivex, Syren), which pretty much wrecked all of my unit advantage. As fun as it is to throw down super efficient Assault Valkyries, the game is still very skewed against big units, especially since the only Area Effect I had was on a Mordian Hellhound (and I guess Weirdboy Maniak works as a pseudo area effect). Because of his focus on big units, Gorzod does a lot better around planet 3-4 if he's been doing some good econ work, since that's about when you can start affording the 3-4 cost units.

It's really strange to not have any combat tricks, like I have Squiggify and Rok Bombardment, but I know I basically put those in there for the two shields and neither are too swingy (Squiggify is pretty much there for Shrieking Harpy, honestly).

Overall I think Nazdreg is still the best Ork warlord, since Brutal is a really loving annoying ability, and access to Chaos events and units is some great synergy. It doesn't help that Gorzod's signature stuff is really underwhelming compared to the shear offensive brute force of the Flash Gitz. As mediocre as Bigga is Betta is, nobody else plays with vehicles so Hostile Acquisitio is basically 1 shield. Bloodrunna is also almost always a three shield attachment as well.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 6, 2016

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Overall I think Nazdreg is still the best Ork warlord, since Brutal is a really loving annoying ability, and access to Chaos events and units is some great synergy. It doesn't help that Gorzod's signature stuff is really underwhelming compared to the shear offensive brute force of the Flash Gitz. As mediocre as Bigga is Betta is, nobody else plays with vehicles so Hostile Acquisitio is basically 1 shield. Bloodrunna is also almost always a three shield attachment as well.

While Hostile Acquisition does strike me as bad/situational (the only vehicles that see common play are Steel Legion Chimera, Wildrider Squadron, and Bloodied Reavers), I really like the rest of Gorzod's signature stuff. I'm surprised that you use Bloodrunna for shields - I love playing it as an attachment. Making your warlord 2/9 (and 2/7 bloodied) is awesome, and the reaction it grants can be great as well (especially when paired with Ork Kannon).

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Check out these sweet new Ork spoilers!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I feel like there's a huge missed opportunity in not calling Smasha Gun Battery "Smarta Gun Battery."

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Fetterkey posted:

While Hostile Acquisition does strike me as bad/situational (the only vehicles that see common play are Steel Legion Chimera, Wildrider Squadron, and Bloodied Reavers), I really like the rest of Gorzod's signature stuff. I'm surprised that you use Bloodrunna for shields - I love playing it as an attachment. Making your warlord 2/9 (and 2/7 bloodied) is awesome, and the reaction it grants can be great as well (especially when paired with Ork Kannon).

I find Gorzod's Wagons to be weaker than the Evil Sun Riders and especially Snakebite Thug (this is probably not a fair comparison) and even the Steel Legion Chimera that it shares a cost with. Maybe I'm just not using Goes Fasta well, but a 1/3 that situationally turns into a 3/3, a situation where you're at an inherent disadvantage at, mind, doesn't seem very good to me. The Riders and that entire cycle at least is easily activated by just throwing my warlord at it (or throwing them at their warlord), but I found the Wagons underwhelming for a signature unit, especially since those are usually aggressively costed by 0.5-1 credit.

Bloodrunna played as an attachment seems very meh to me, although this seems on par with most of the signature attachments. Off the top of my head, the only one that I find worth playing over using as 3 shields is Cato's. It's not a bad play for 1, but +2 HP on your warlord and a reaction of dubious usefulness isn't worth the surprise factor of 3 shields completely loving over combat math, especially since it's rarely accounted for since there's only 1 per deck.

Kustomization Station is solid, but it's also pretty pricy, and sometimes you wish you had drawn that Assault Valkyrie instead.

The good thing about Gorzod though is that he gets more powerful over time, as IG and SM get more and better common vehicles, to the extent where most of the deck is just vehicles, instead of having to use Shoota Boyz and stuff. Skrap Nabba is actually incredibly useful though since holy poo poo was I poor in those Gorzod games.

Also here, have the loyal Targaryen plot:

Which basically reads: gently caress your reducers.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

GrandpaPants posted:

Also here, have the loyal Targaryen plot:

Which basically reads: gently caress your reducers.

Don't forget this, which will of course be overshadowed by the Targ plot, but makes me way more excited:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Merauder posted:

Don't forget this, which will of course be overshadowed by the Targ plot, but makes me way more excited:

Looks like that may have some great synergy with the House Frey agenda

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Fetterkey posted:

Check out these sweet new Ork spoilers!

Outflank seems crazy good, both in and out of Orks. drat.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Honestly First Snow of Winter's gonna be just as grim as the Targ plot. The combo is gonna be really rough for any swarm. At least Blood of the Dragon has horrible numbers otherwise (I swear the analog had better numbers in the old edition).

For the Watch looks really strong as well. I really think Night's Watch are stronger than they're given credit for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Merauder posted:

That is loving awesome.