Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh hey, medical chat.

So i've only been skating regularly (once or twice a week) for the last six weeks or so. (It's been close to once a month for a few years now, but nothing taxing) For the last two weeks i've been getting pains on the outside of my right shin, particularly when i turn or lean. I've been ignoring it because gently caress it, I like skating. Is there anything I can do to help it heal, preferably without skipping a session?

I just got new pads and I want to try them out, so i'm being stubborn.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sounds like you may have some tendinitis. You could try icing your shins during the evenings and using a heating pad in bed. It may be a good idea to take a week or two off to allow the inflammation to heal.

Back when I first started skating, I would get crippling pain after I took my skates off on the top edge of my foot. It could go away after about 20 seconds, but it was really bad pain. I also got cramps at night after heavy skating. It went away with time but it did help when I took a week off here and there to do some running or other activity.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I bet your skates are way too tight. Don't lace them so tightly.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07
I agree, I had the same problem before and loosening them up a bit definitely helped.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I barely even tighten my laces now. I still winch down on the ankle a bit more than the foot part, but not by much. If I went any loser my heel would lift from the footbed while skating.

Complete opposite of what I was doing when I spent all that time in this thread bitching about skate fit.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Weird, I tie my skates physically as tight as I can around the ankle.

Tight up at the first 4 around the toe, firm until 1 before the ankle, then tight as possible from there up.

They loosen up after a bit of a skate and feel fine.

Additionally it's possible it may be muscles in your shin that aren't used being heavily used, if you haven't skated in a while. I thought I had shin splints when I first started. Eventually they went away with time but they were brutal for a while.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

dogstile posted:

Oh hey, medical chat.

So i've only been skating regularly (once or twice a week) for the last six weeks or so. (It's been close to once a month for a few years now, but nothing taxing) For the last two weeks i've been getting pains on the outside of my right shin, particularly when i turn or lean. I've been ignoring it because gently caress it, I like skating. Is there anything I can do to help it heal, preferably without skipping a session?

I just got new pads and I want to try them out, so i'm being stubborn.

Did you ever have an injury in that area? I have a bad ankle from an old ballet injury that bothers me when I skate, so I wear an ankle brace when I skate in addition to taking an ibuprofen before getting on the ice. Adjusting how I lace my skates and whether the shin guard is inside or outside the skate makes a huge difference, too.

I'd still recommend getting that checked out in case it is tendonitis, though.

Maybe something like this would help?

http://www.target.com/p/mueller-cal...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
No previous injuries aside from shin splints on the inside of my ankles, my ankles are fairly weak/thin despite my attempts to toughen them up, so it might just be the muscles not being used to it. I'll take tonight off (:argh:) and give it another go on Thursday if it feels better. I'll also do the icing/heat thing, that sounds pretty useful. If it reoccurs i'll try a shin support.

On skate chat, I actually like my skates fairly loose compared to most of the people who play around here. If I have them to tight I feel like it fucks with my ability to turn as quick. At first my skates were hell but after sitting around in them for a couple nights, they're much more comfy.

Thanks all!

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
I am a goalie who plays in the beginner level. I have skated out for years and quit playing due to an anxiety disorder and decided to try goalie after some years off.

So in a phone call with my team rep, he tells me that people on the team are concerned that they can't win with me playing. That I let in bad goals and don't seem to be trying. He said that my vibe is negative. Now I certainly do let in some goals that I myself am unhappy about but I am trying to get better.

For a few seasons now, the team has had a culture of constantly whining about ringers on other teams, way to into winning and not really ever paying attention to basic strategies that every hockey player should know. They just talk poo poo all the time. They never look at themselves and always look to blame the league or a ringer etc. I guess now they are talking poo poo about me.

I ended up threatening to quit but the league told me to sh ow up for the game as they had nobody to fill in (they don't really take my issue seriously I guess) so I went. The team rep came into the locker room and asked me if I was going to have fun today.

I went off on him, called him an rear end in a top hat and moron. I told him that if he or anyone wanted to switch, play goalie while I skated out for them I would be happy to let them. I pointed out that he himself has not scored enough and that we lost one game 2-1 in OT. I was really pissed off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, I'd be clocking out too. If I had paid for the games I'd show up just to get my ice time, but anything anyone said about my performance would be in one ear and out the other.

Sort of went through that with my team this past session.. ugly losing streak, the tryhards started nitpicking everyone's play (except their own of course). Got into a shouting match with one jackass on the bench and almost left mid-game. In hindsight that ended up being a smart move because he stopped riding me so hard after that. We just finished up the season, it started to look good because we won a couple playoff games and everyone was getting happy. Third playoff game was a nasty loss because we were against a team that should be moved up a division, and all the cursing and blaming fired right back up. gently caress that, just play and have fun and support your bros.

End result the captain is putting the team on vacation until summer, motivating all the GOTTA WIN dudes to split off and form their own team.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Some teams just aren't very fun to play on.

Wooty posted:

For a few seasons now, the team has had a culture of constantly whining about ringers on other teams, way to into winning and not really ever paying attention to basic strategies that every hockey player should know. They just talk poo poo all the time. They never look at themselves and always look to blame the league or a ringer etc. I guess now they are talking poo poo about me.

That doesn't sound like a very fun group. It's probably better for you to go find someone else to play with (and probably better for the whole team to get split up and dilute the toxicity, but that's not really your problem).

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Jesus I'm really glad for the team I play on.

Nothing has ever got extreme for people making GBS threads on anyone. There's good natured ribbing post-game for dumb mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes but generally everyone is aware when they do so nobody piles on them.

This is my first season playing ice hockey, I put in poo poo loads of effort learning how to skate properly and the team is aware of this. Helps that 4 or 5 of the guys have kids that play hockey and coach or help coach their kid's team. When I make a mistake they'll tell me constructively what I should've done instead and when I do something well they'll mention that it was a good play and do it again. Because if this I've gotten a whole lot better.

Your locker room sounds like morale cancer, sorry dude. :(

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Just had my first drop in hockey experience this morning. I had the ice to myself for a couple minutes at the start which let me try and get my legs under me and remember how to shoot the puck before others got out there. We mostly just skated around for a while, taking shots and passing and then did a bit of three on four hockey where the three person team were all solid hockey players and everyone else just kind of tried to hold them off. It was actually kind of fun, even if I didn't really contribute. Playing in a league with people all my skill level definitely looks more fun now, but I'll probably keep going to these drop ins for more ice time.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Playing drop-in with higher skill players is the reason I've improved so much over the past year. You learn (and relearn, and relearn, and relearn) a lot of valuable lessons playing with and against people who know what they're doing.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Wooty posted:

I am a goalie who plays in the beginner level. I have skated out for years and quit playing due to an anxiety disorder and decided to try goalie after some years off.

So in a phone call with my team rep, he tells me that people on the team are concerned that they can't win with me playing. That I let in bad goals and don't seem to be trying. He said that my vibe is negative. Now I certainly do let in some goals that I myself am unhappy about but I am trying to get better.

I ended up threatening to quit but the league told me to sh ow up for the game as they had nobody to fill in (they don't really take my issue seriously I guess) so I went. The team rep came into the locker room and asked me if I was going to have fun today.

I went off on him, called him an rear end in a top hat and moron. I told him that if he or anyone wanted to switch, play goalie while I skated out for them I would be happy to let them. I pointed out that he himself has not scored enough and that we lost one game 2-1 in OT. I was really pissed off.

Tell him that maybe the defense in front of you could play loving hockey and help suppress shots. If you're going out there and giving it your all, then it's not on you at all. It's beginner league for fucks sake, people are there to learn and have fun.

I would try and switch teams if I were you. If they're throwing blame at other people and not trying to improve then they're not making a good team oriented environment.

Goalie is the hardest position to play from a physical and mental standpoint. They should be supportive that you're going out there and trying to play well for them.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Wooty posted:

Jesus.

I remember in my very first Learn to Skate class, the coach told us to just relax and have fun because nobody there was going to the Stanley Cup playoffs. If you're in beer league hockey withOUT that attitude, it's probably not the sport for you. Nobody likes tryhards. Sounds like you need a new team.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Wait, aren't y'all 3-1-0-1 and in first place?

I'm a insufferable shithead troll sarcastic gently caress in this thread but I legitimately find most people to be enjoyable and all of the hockey people I've met here are great. Wooty we've played pickup....20 times? I can't imagine anyone saying that about you.

Also that league is full of the worst players and to think they need a better goalie is laughable.

You should ask the 8bits if they ever need a goalie, they seem like a far more chill team.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Wooty posted:

This is kinda why I'm glad I do the free-agent sub-everywhere beer-fun goalie thing in my league.

My best advice, if the intent is to find a new team to play on, is to drink and chat up as many opposing teams as possible. Sub with and against them, tell them what you saw. Certainly cultures between teams will be different as far as socializing, but I suspect in BYOT leagues, it's down to a core of invested folks that want to have fun they way they see fun as.

As far as teammate shaming, we had dude this last season who kept flapping his jaw about how everyone was loving up/not skating/not trying/etc every intermission and after games. Thankfully in a draft league the team doesn't have to pick him up again, but as far as dealing with him personally there's no real tactful way to avoid confrontation about it. On the bench and outside the locker room seems to be the best places to talk about it. On the bench, short points about "don't get pissy at everyone, talk to your line mates about how to work together". Outside the locker room after getting undressed, you can talk more about "Dude, that negative poo poo isn't helping anyone want to play better, figure out something we can fix that isn't 'get better' and focus on talking about that".

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I've been on a bunch of teams with one or two tryhards who get angry at everyone else's play, but that whole team sounds awful. It's not cheap to play in a league. Invest in another team, specifically one which has guys who bring beer.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

sellouts posted:

Wait, aren't y'all 3-1-0-1 and in first place?

I'm a insufferable shithead troll sarcastic gently caress in this thread but I legitimately find most people to be enjoyable and all of the hockey people I've met here are great. Wooty we've played pickup....20 times? I can't imagine anyone saying that about you.

Also that league is full of the worst players and to think they need a better goalie is laughable.

You should ask the 8bits if they ever need a goalie, they seem like a far more chill team.

Wooty I think we lost our goalie again when they sent us back down to Aluminum, I can ask Jim this weekend if that's still the case.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
The team I've been playing with over the last 5ish years has worked ourselves into a little conundrum.

The 'old guard' of the team has all left more or less, leaving my group of friends to run the team, we've had an injection of skill and slowly have been moving up divs, but we've always played low enough that we could carry the weaker players.

This year we end up in div 3, and we can play if we get a good line up, but the weakest guy on the team has invited two friends to play with us, who are nice guys but bad hockey players and have no business playing in our division. Which is frustrating for the players that have to play with them. Apparently one of our newer good players made it clear he was frustrated playing with the bad guys and two of the bad guys wanted him off the team because hes a 'douche'. I'm afraid the better players that havent been around since the start are going to want to leave after this season because of this.

It is really loving frustrating to play games completely shorthanded.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Are the bad players self-aware in the sense that they know they're playing in a situation above their skill? If you were playing on the lowest rung that would be one thing, but if there's places below to skate it doesn't seem like a crime against humanity to ask them to find a spot on a lower team.

It's also not a crime to let the better player find a different team, drop down a division, and help the beginners find themselves a role.

Just depends on what the team management wants the team to be. But you can't make everyone happy forever, it's impossible no matter what the activity in question is.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Acethomas posted:

Wooty I think we lost our goalie again when they sent us back down to Aluminum, I can ask Jim this weekend if that's still the case.
Wooty you should do that. Jim and his sons don't disparage at all, there was a few people who were annoying but from what I've gathered they have been asked to stop playing aluminum, and the rest of the core guys, including AceThomas are all really casual fun guys. No matter what happens on the ice the worst that group will be in the locker room is just grins. Plus I might pick up a few games with them for the rest of this season. I can't believe they would blame you, you're one of the best goalies in that division and could easily play up to Bronze at any rink I've played at.

To be honest now that I've been playing a couple years and have seen/heard/met enough adults playing I'm rather shocked at the level of excuses they come up with for losses. It's kinda of sickening how 90% of people simply don't want to hear anything about their own game. They take it as some great offence. The blame game is so crazy!

-

Back to my knee, the swellings gone down a bit and I slept pretty well and woke up with less pain than I went to sleep with, so I'm taking that as a great sign. Hopefully I can manage to hobble around school tomorrow, get to my job interview on thursday, and be able to play our final game friday... It's team picture day :3:

D C posted:

I'm afraid the better players that havent been around since the start are going to want to leave after this season because of this.

It is really loving frustrating to play games completely shorthanded.

I think it would be completely reasonable and rational to ask that group to move down a division next season and ask the rest of the team to stick around.

But then we are talking about adult hockey players.... They'll probably throw a hissy fit and see it as an attack on their game.

Nitramster fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 1, 2016

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Problem is the bad players are friends out side of hockey. It's a really hosed situation.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you aren't drinking yourself down to your competitions skill level you're doing it wrong

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
It's actually a bit of a shock, we were competitive in div 4 last year, this year we started div4, then the league combined 4 and 3 together. All of a sudden its a huge jump in how hard the other teams play. Lot harder forchecking, lot harder backchecking, net drives ect.

Yesterday we played one of the weaker div4 teams and had a decent lineup, ended up steam rolling them and the pace was so much slower then the last few games have been.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

Acethomas posted:

Sasha will be your new goalie. I was filling in for her when I last played for you guys.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
Thanks to all for the supportive words.

The ending of it up to now is that I yelled at the team rep and emmeffed him really good. I called him a liar and whatever. He did that really passive thing of pretending to "really be on my side" and did the 1/2 appology of "if I..." so I let it be. I don't want to be angry.

The worst part looking back on it now is I told this guy about my disabilities. WTF but I felt like I had to do it to explain myself - I guess that is the condition itself causing the reaction.

The team was ok when I started with them. They added two guys who are rather wierd and don't seem to get the point. One guy was rugby player so he thinks about solving things with tough stuff. They are obsessed with "ringers" and anyone who is better then they are and playing them tough. "That dude needs to be watched, he can skate"

I told them to just work on their skating but they focus on poo poo like taking faceoffs. I means that's a cool skill but hockey at it's core is skating.

I have gone over the simple breakout and defensive reactions to plays but nothing sinks in. I can be on the ice telling them to use the boards and they just fling it right up the middle to the other team who is in the slot ready to shoot.

Oh well :)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I ended up returning that Warrior bag and getting a CCM instead. Never realized how much I needed that Velcro til it was gone. Not sure why that bag is so highly recommended, it's okay but it's like $40 more than other bags and with fewer features.

In actual gameplay: Are there any like basic moves for entering the zone with the puck? I always just try to force a pass to the middle or send a weak wrister (aka my wrister) through traffic. I'm playing a bit above my level and am usually facing a competent defenseman who doesn't give me a ton of time. If I don't have a clear way to move the puck to the middle should I be dumping it? Drop pass? Skating up the outside and then trying a quick turn to try to lose my coverage/find a passing outlet?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

If I'm playing above my level I usually carry wide and ring it around once the dman has committed if there are no options. Not great but better than forcing it and turning it over.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Smack the puck in deep, fling it towards the net, or try to carry it deep on your own. A beginner doesn't have many options if they're playing someone with more experience so the mission is to get the puck deep and prevent a breakaway in the other direction.

As your comfort increases you can try a tight turn, this will give you a gap with the defender and give your team time to catch up. The deeper in the zone you do this, the better. If you have a teammate behind you a drop pass works too but you gotta be sure he's there.

Last is the deke. You gotta get good to pull it off.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm actually okay at dekes, stickhandling is probably my strongest skill (played five years of ball hockey and I play stickhandling keepaway with my dog almost every day) but since I'm playing up right now I don't usually try them. I think just getting the puck deep is going to be my best bet, I have a bad habit of just trying to find the good players on my team and get the puck to them but it ends up in a turnover because it's not really the right move.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

When I teach offense to 10 year olds the simplest concept is "wide with speed". Enter the zone with the puck by sticking towards the outside going as fast as you can.

Your linemates need to drive the front of the net hard and one stays high (top of the circles/slot) to give you options.

You can keep skating and throw the puck to the net front if you beat the D wide, you can pull up at the outside hash marks to delay and get enough separation to make a pass or take a shot, and infrequently you'll just beat the D to set up a clean shot or odd man situation.

Dumping is "safe" but I never do it with kids because I'd rather they learn how to carry the puck in and I think failing during a carry is an important learning experience.

That's probably true for you too. Dumping isn't a complicated idea, but you're not getting any better you're just throwing the puck away. It's beer league who cares if you lose the puck? You should work on improving your skills in the limited ice time you have.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Beer leaguers rarely understand the concept of chasing the dump and if you can't wring it around the net with enough force to swing it to the other side there's no point.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

sellouts posted:

Beer leaguers rarely understand the concept of chasing the dump and if you can't wring it around the net with enough force to swing it to the other side there's no point.

Yeah, that's what I was going to say. At my level usually the puck either doesn't get there or your teammate fails to pull it off the boards effectively or just plain misses it and sends an odd man rush the other way.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm a pretty big fan of crossing the blue line with speed wide, then throwing on the brakes and taking a look. Most beer league defensemen are either too lazy or too slow to stop with you so it buys quite a bit of space and you can do a lot of useful things in that time. My team has several slow skating BIG SHOOTERS so they're usually coming into the zone late anyway, hitting them with horizontal passes as they're crossing the blue line generates a lot of good shots.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

When I played out, one of the first pieces of advice I got was to go in HARD after a dump in. If you don't apply pressure you're basically giving the puck away for nothing.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Even if you go super hard after it most of the time you're giving it away for nothing. You can say it gives your team time to regroup on D but counter intuitively you're setting up the other team's zone exit.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

bewbies posted:

My team has several slow skating BIG SHOOTERS

Need another?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

More accurately it allows your wheezing defense to labor to the bench after taking a five minute shift because they felt okay on the last zone clear and want to play some offense, but there was a neutral zone turnover and they got pinned chasing the puck for three minutes being forced to listen to helpful advice from the bench like " SKAAAAATTTEEE!" or "USE THE BOARDS!!!"