Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

cumshitter posted:

I have severe social anxiety so I can appreciate the value of bitcoins, dealers are scary and even worse sometimes they want you to hang out at their place for up to 20 minutes and make small talk. But I get along by writing which drug I want on a t-shirt and pinning a $20 to my chest while walking around skid row staring at my shoes. Eventually someone comes up and rips the $20 and forces the drugs into my hand. Then I squeek out a "th-th-thank you" before running home.

Even this would be less retarded than touching bitcoin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I think it was this thread that was talking about holding a church hostage for bit coins or something. I wanted to post this news article from last April:

http://www.pressherald.com/2015/04/10/police-departments-pay-hackers-to-unlock-computer-system/

portland press herald posted:

Police departments in midcoast and northern Maine said they have paid ransom to hackers to keep their computer files from being destroyed, WCSH-TV reported Friday night.

The Portland station said the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office and four towns paid $300 to the hackers after a virus, called a “megacode,” was downloaded on a computer system they share. Lincoln County Sheriff Todd Bracket said that the computer system was unusable until the fee was paid, and that the hackers claimed the program, called “ransomware,” would wipe the entire computer system clean if the fee wasn’t paid.

The creator of the virus gave the sheriff’s office a code to unlock the computer system after the money was received. The county paid in bitcoins, an online currency.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Carmant posted:

ITT: A bunch of retarded goons struggling to comprehend one of the most staggering scientific/technological achievements in decades.

3 transactions per second. That is all.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

RabbitWizard posted:

3 transactions per second. That is all.

If you understood, 3 is all you need.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

This is the laziest troll.

Yeah, sure, you "got" a bunch of people, but it's more like you got their hopes up that something funny would happen then didn't deliver.

Please be patient, you don't want to scare him off and have him close his laughponzi early!

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

I love how everyone talks about Bitcoins value in terms of US dollars. And profiting off Bitcoin by selling them for US dollars.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

wayne curr posted:

I love how everyone talks about Bitcoins value in terms of US dollars. And profiting off Bitcoin by selling them for US dollars.

It's almost like bit coine is a commodity and not a currency.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_EKSqfQ3hk

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

blowfish posted:

It's almost like bit coine is a commodity and not a currency.

A comedity.

NObodiesGeek
Jun 14, 2003
I'm not shy, I just hate you.
Sometimes you bit the coins and sometimes the coins bit you.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Carmant posted:

ITT: A bunch of retarded goons struggling to comprehend one of the most staggering scientific/technological achievements in decades.

Remember when they rolled back a weekend worth of transactions because the market did something they didn't like?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Just as if not more reliable than just having a few bills in your pocket or a bank account. I know when sometimes the government shuts down money I can trust bitcoin.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Remember when this happened with VISA?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
PSA: Don't use bitcoin today or ever

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
Better than Turin Brakes.
A bunch of bitcoiners are attacking bitcoin in an attempt to prove that they need more than 3 transactions a second?

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
A lot of doom and gloom in the Bitcoin community today but some people still believe:

quote:

Bitcoin is far from dead. On its worst day, it's still unbelievably better than traditional banking alternatives!

Ps. Even at its worst performance, Bitcoin is still way better than waiting 90 days for a credit card confirmation. Or 2-3 days for a bank to bank transfer. Or any other traditional banking system transfer that basically no matter how long it takes can be reversed.
For one, I do not mind waiting 60 minutes for an irreversible transaction!

WTF is that

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

mental illness.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Waiting 90 days for credit card transactions is pretty frustrating. Sometimes I don't ration right, and run out of food when my next food transaction still has 30 days left until it clears, and I have to forage for food.

I need to get in on this Bitcoin craze

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
Having to order pizza delivery 90 days in advance is pretty frustrating tbf

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Sometimes I'll order a pizza even if I don't want one. In 90 days, who knows?

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Germstore posted:

Sometimes I'll order a pizza even if I don't want one. In 90 days, who knows?

Don't you just hate it when you order your pizza 90 days in advance and then they loving make it right now so when you get it it's this rotting pile of mold? If only bitcoin could save me.

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
its even worse if you use credit card to pay at a restaurant. sitting there for 90 days.. hungry so you have to buy another meal.. another 90 day wait.. restaurants have become prisons.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

What am I going to do without bitcoin?!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Carmant posted:

It's almost like the jokes write themselves :laugh:

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Apparently they're at over 40k now :lol:

https://tradeblock.com/bitcoin

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

And while the egalitarian open source consensus currency Bitcoin is basically unusable, it also has two forks (Bitcoin XT and Bitcoin Classic) that are getting ddos'd into the dirt. It's always so fun to watch libertarians eating each other while proclaiming their love of nonaggression

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Novo posted:

- being a poor gamer / computer janitor who lives life on the internet and thinks it is their area of expertise

You have to go to school for 4 years to learn to be a computer janitor, and you have to be employed by a corporation.

Reading reddit doesn't make your a computer janitor, it just makes you a sad person.

eugenics_slut
Feb 27, 2016

by zen death robot

Tenzarin posted:

You have to go to school for 4 years to learn to be a computer janitor, and you have to be employed by a corporation.

Reading reddit doesn't make your a computer janitor, it just makes you a sad person.

:-D

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
CJ's are the worst. So drat smug because they're "good with computers"

Like, they don't even know what they don't know (which is everything)

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I prefer the job title, Digital Gardener. It sounds more prestigious.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

revmoo posted:

Check out this gaijin, probably hasn't even built a desktop or partitioned a hard drive like the rest of us professionals, what a baka

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

iirc there was a reddit thread where some bitcoiner lost thousands of bitcoins and posted to suggest that the NSA had cracked the bitcoin protocol and stolen his bitcoins, since otherwise his system had "perfect security" so there was no way that he had downloaded a virus

And then it was revealed that he downloads and runs random executables but it's okay because he frequently runs spybot to remove adware so there's nothing to worry about

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Ad removing programs loving suck rear end, they all work together to let poo poo get on your system.

Download anti spyware programs. Install one and clean. Uninstall it and install the second one. They find different spy ware. Its a pretty amazing scam.

People gotta run a legit anti virus program, not something you download from megapcdownloads.com

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

revmoo posted:

ive found, working professionally as a software developer, that anyone who outwardly claims to be good with computers is inevitably not good with computers and has no loving clue what theyre doing or talking about at any point in time

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
That's because "good with computers" mostly means "able to find answer to grandma's MSWord problems in help menu"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

QuarkJets posted:

And while the egalitarian open source consensus currency Bitcoin is basically unusable, it also has two forks (Bitcoin XT and Bitcoin Classic) that are getting ddos'd into the dirt. It's always so fun to watch libertarians eating each other while proclaiming their love of nonaggression

The bitcoin open forum speaker said Bitcoin XT is bad because they censor people online and Bitcoin Classic is good because it maintains the original vision of Bitcoin. He seemed to gloss over that 3 of the 5 core developers are on XT, but I'm not sure if that has any significance.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
you guys scared the true believer away. you have to be nice for a few posts before they realized they are completely out gunned (and also retarded)

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
The closest thing we've had to a true believer in this thread was the guy who suggested that bitcoin was a viable option for smuggling money out of Argentina and he vehemently denied being a bitcoiner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

akulanization posted:

mental illness.

The Kool-Aid Man posted:

OH YEAH!!!

• Locked thread