Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I bought this the other week and played the first tutorial before Stardew Valley came out the same day and stole my time, but I've been reading this thread and everything is just making me :chanpop:

game sounds super complicated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

FISHMANPET posted:

I don't think you could pack a factory full enough with modules and there's not really a reason to when you can just build another factory. For reference, my research factory:

That's twice as many labs as I need with all the research upgrades I have, but whatever, I just left them forever.

Those ratios! Your inserter and belt factories are going to be off half the time. Clearly everything else needs to double.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Ak Gara posted:

A problem I'm finding with single lane buses is that each time you split off to somewhere it's needed, you're cutting the amount on the bus after that point by half each time.

100 green circuit per minute bus gets reduced down to 12 per minute after just 3 off-branches. I was thinking of either making triple lane buses or dedicated lanes. 1 green circuit bus for EVERY section that requires green circuits, etc?

I only bus copper/iron plates, and make the rest in-situ, basically. You can double/triple up the bus if you need more plates to reach the end.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Also I have discovered the :yayclod:ist mod. Happy Factorio Adds some saturation to all of the game's colors so you can feel happy about polluting this alien landscape!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Blast and drat it I wish I could see imgur at work. Stupid "mixed content/potentially adult" rating. Oh well, thanks for all the pics and explanations, I'll look tonight when I tear down what little I have so far and start rebuilding.

(edit) Actually I might outright start over. I probably haven't made much pollution yet, but am I right in understanding that it's cumulative over time, so the fiddling I've done so far leaves me in a slightly worse position vis a vis biters, or is it more about the current total output?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Blast and drat it I wish I could see imgur at work. Stupid "mixed content/potentially adult" rating. Oh well, thanks for all the pics and explanations, I'll look tonight when I tear down what little I have so far and start rebuilding.

(edit) Actually I might outright start over. I probably haven't made much pollution yet, but am I right in understanding that it's cumulative over time, so the fiddling I've done so far leaves me in a slightly worse position vis a vis biters, or is it more about the current total output?

I believe the pollution cloud will go away if you just switch everything off, though it may take some time. However, the biters evolve as the game goes on, becoming stronger and more numerous.

Still, you're unlikely to suffer if you leave your old factory around and just start over some way off to the side. Maybe re-tool your existing one to build conveyors/inserters/assemblers/pylons to make setting up your new one quicker. The biters don't evolve so fast that this will be much trouble.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

A problem I'm finding with single lane buses is that each time you split off to somewhere it's needed, you're cutting the amount on the bus after that point by half each time.

100 green circuit per minute bus gets reduced down to 12 per minute after just 3 off-branches. I was thinking of either making triple lane buses or dedicated lanes. 1 green circuit bus for EVERY section that requires green circuits, etc?

[edit] This is like minecraft crossed with OpenTTD. Only with less bribing towns so I can bulldoze their homes in order to run a 12 lane railroad in a straight line from one side of the map to the other.

This is what I meant when I brought up the limits of a naive bus. Splitting it by half each time works so long as you produce much more than you use, because the belts will always be backed up, and you can continue to expand a bus by making it wider. But eventually you have more bus than you have factory, with giant splitter monstrocities splitting off single belts of iron plates from the 6+ lanes spewing out of your smelting array.

Up to that point, busses are definitely worth the time saved in designing the factory alone. But past it, you'll want to start figuring how many belts each factory section (eg. your green circuit array, your smelting arrays, your science facility, etc.) consumes and produces, and just hook them up to each other directly (though you'll still want to put a balancer on the output side of each factory).

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ciaphas posted:

I wouldn't worry about it. More biters means more alien artifacts.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I really like the productivity module and I try to pack my factories full of productivity 3.

Besides the extra stuff, it itself will generate hilarious amounts of extra pollution and also power generation will skyrocket, so that'll cause more pollution as well.

Getting the entire map solid red is the end-game here right? :v:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

THE BUS is fun but few things satisfy like a proper belt hell.

Bonus: fish-go-round

http://i.imgur.com/Ztb9zBM.gifv

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Truga posted:

I really like the productivity module and I try to pack my factories full of productivity 3.

Besides the extra stuff, it itself will generate hilarious amounts of extra pollution and also power generation will skyrocket, so that'll cause more pollution as well.

Getting the entire map solid red is the end-game here right? :v:

This is a little old, but I would assume launching one rocket a minute would be the new end game.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I've had moderate success with bringing a split back onto the bus downstream. It adds a lot of extra belting though.

Boogalo posted:

THE BUS is fun but few things satisfy like a proper belt hell.

Bonus: fish-go-round

http://i.imgur.com/Ztb9zBM.gifv

:eyepop:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Krysmphoenix posted:

This is a little old, but I would assume launching one rocket a minute would be the new end game.
I remember the first time I saw that all I could say was "if I ever get this bad, I quit." Also the punchline of having just 1 image and description for how to deal with biters was gold. I wonder if that still works...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Would turning on Peaceful Mode ruin the ~game experience~ for me much? I'd kind of rather take my time and learn all the right numbers and ratios, than rush to get hamfisted defenses up.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
No, it won't ruin anything. I only play on peaceful mode. I'll turn it off eventually but for now peaceful mode is the best way to learn the game and get some factories under your belt.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

I prefer to abuse logistics bots and systems

All the little robots flying around doing their things :3:
I think I have about 1000 logistics bots.

Close up of logistics warehouse showing number of items stored

This is my newest base with the steam release.

Apocadall fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 2, 2016

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Apocadall posted:

I prefer to abuse logistics bots and systems

All the little robots flying around doing their things :3:
I think I have about 1000 logistics bots.

Close up of logistics warehouse showing number of items stored

This is my newest base with the steam release.

Dammit, this is the future we're trying to PREVENT in America!
(Nice job)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ciaphas posted:

Would turning on Peaceful Mode ruin the ~game experience~ for me much? I'd kind of rather take my time and learn all the right numbers and ratios, than rush to get hamfisted defenses up.

I play peacefully as well. The only issue is that alien artifacts (required for purple science packs, and some other advanced items) are only obtained by killing alien creatures and buildings. There are at least two mods to get around this:
Peace Mod - Removes aliens entirely and adds alien ore. I've not tried it but the version at the top of that page apparently works in 0.12
Crafted Artifacts - Leaves aliens unmodified but adds purple "rare earth" ore that can be processed with acid and copper to make superconductors, which are combined with a processing unit to make artifacts.

If you set the game to peaceful aliens won't attack unless you attack them (or another alien near them). I kinda like this as you can just ignore them, or if the fancy takes you, build a tank and go wipe out a base or two.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aliens can seem difficult at first. Set up about 4-5 turrets at key points along your walls (build walls, double walled preferably) and keep them stocked with ammo and you should be good for about 15-20 hours into a game, maybe even longer. Filling a turret with 100 ammo typically lasts a few hours for me since they all fire.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

DaveKap posted:

Dammit, this is the future we're trying to PREVENT in America!
(Nice job)

You should see the power system.

Full old base

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

You could do worse than look at Negative Root's new series for the steam release. He starts with setup options for a beginner and goes through the early game, furnace blocks and a big bus.

This, if you're interested.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!

Elfface posted:

Some sort of mega-warehouse? A 'chest' that takes up multiple spaces?

I think I saw somebody using a stationary train car as a giant chest. That might be excessively huge, though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ratzap posted:

You could do worse than look at Negative Root's new series for the steam release. He starts with setup options for a beginner and goes through the early game, furnace blocks and a big bus.

This, if you're interested.

Thanks, I'll watch this while I continue to gently caress around.

Question, it looks from empirical testing that I need two stone furnaces to one electric miner, but what's the math to have figured that out from the displayed stats? Is there a wiki with mathy stuff I can look up for this sort of ratio thing when I need it?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The math for figuring out furnaces, assembling machines etc. is basically just look at the recipe it's using. Take the number of items needed for the recipe, multiply it by the crafting speed of the building (the faster it crafts, the more inputs you need), then divide it by the time the recipe nominally takes. That tells you how many units/second of that ingredient you need to supply.

I'm not sure where you see the math for miners off the top of my head.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Megafunk posted:

I think I saw somebody using a stationary train car as a giant chest. That might be excessively huge, though.

You can absolutely do this but generally it's for a bunch of different materials you want to store and be able to get to by a lot of different factories. It's used for its large area you can pull from, rather than it's capacity which is inferior for it's size.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah, crafting looks simpler, it was the mining that was throwing me, there's a few different numbers there between the furnaces and the miners I can't reconcile.

New question, I haven't looked at any of the bus pictures on the last page yet, wanted to see if I could figure out the idea first. Is this generally it, or if not, what mistake(s) am I making?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
As a matter of personal taste, I like to expand horizontally.

I would try to design that science factory in a way that's modular, so that if you want to increase your production, you can just expand.
I'd have the science go onto a belt, and then from the belt, the inserters put science into the research dome, that way you can add more research domes and have them all fed from the same belt.

Otherwise, you're doing well.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yep, that's pretty much it. Bus anything that produces less materials than it outputs and is an intermediary product. This includes gears and green circuits, but not copper cable. You also might want to leave a space between the different bus belts, it helps with splitters. You're also going to want two belts for iron plates. When you want to see factory pics, hit the ? by my name.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's a good enough start. I'd recommend just keeping on going with that - you might eventually run into some problems, but it's much more fun to identify issues and then solve them yourself.

If you really can't help yourself, here are some things you might find you want to change later:
- you'll probably want more than one belt each for iron and copper.
- pulling stuff directly off the belt can end up starving stuff further along - if you use a splitter even for stuff right next to the bus, you know that this particular branch won't consume more than its allotted portion of the resources.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Solumin posted:

That's a nice bus. Got any pictures of the whole factory?

The whole factory minus the primary mines.

Warning this is a big image

An album of some pieces of the factory.

http://imgur.com/a/O6oyR

Fuckery

:argh: Who the hell build this blue science line?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Improvements on my previous, you all think?

- Added space between each element of the bus, maybe that'll get me something later
- Widened the iron plate bus
- Added iron gears to the bus
- Made a red pack line instead of direct inserting to the lab

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh god i can feel the addiction bug starting to bite he;lp

(edit) Are steel furnaces electric? I'd rather not have to set up more coal conveyors if I can just electrify the things

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 2, 2016

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

oh god i can feel the addiction bug starting to bite he;lp

(edit) Are steel furnaces electric? I'd rather not have to set up more coal conveyors if I can just electrify the things

No, but you can build them directly over your regular furnaces, so you don't really need to setup a new space for them.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

pisssss

maybe I should set up a separate smelting area so I can cart all the coal to two places then (power and smelting) instead of power and (# of mines) then

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ciaphas posted:

Improvements on my previous, you all think?

- Added space between each element of the bus, maybe that'll get me something later
- Widened the iron plate bus
- Added iron gears to the bus
- Made a red pack line instead of direct inserting to the lab

That gear assembler is going to be mostly occupied feeding those science pack factories. What Bhodi meant was have dedicated production of things like gears and circuits, and have those on a bus.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Gotcha, I'll have to refine that.

Speaking of needing refinement I fear I may have badly hosed the dog on this one

Lucky it's on peaceful. Time to break this poo poo down and try again :v:

Hagop
May 14, 2012

GotLag posted:

That gear assembler is going to be mostly occupied feeding those science pack factories. What Bhodi meant was have dedicated production of things like gears and circuits, and have those on a bus.

Something like this.

Gear factories are on the north east side of the pic.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Jabor posted:

The math for figuring out furnaces, assembling machines etc. is basically just look at the recipe it's using. Take the number of items needed for the recipe, multiply it by the crafting speed of the building (the faster it crafts, the more inputs you need), then divide it by the time the recipe nominally takes. That tells you how many units/second of that ingredient you need to supply.

I'm not sure where you see the math for miners off the top of my head.

Resources have a mining time (2) and a hardness (.9 for ores or coal, .4 for stone)

Miners have a mining speed (.35 for burner, .5 for electric) and a power (2.5 and 3)

You can get both of these from the info when selected in game.

Actual mining speed, which isn't to my knowledge advertised in the game, is speed * (power-hardness). So an electric miner will put out ore every

2 / (.5 * 2.1) ~= 1.9 seconds. (Actual time may be more like 1.91 or 1.93 due to the way the simulation works.)

A stone furnace (crafting speed 1) will take 3.5 seconds to convert an ore to a plate, as indicated in the smelting recipe. Steel or electric furnaces, with speed 2, will take 1.75 s.

This of course assumes no module effects.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So uh. I got this game, and made a seed where each one-square thing had like 3k resources. Would it be wise to research a lot or should I just go methodically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh hey it's 1130 where the gently caress did the last four hours go