Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Jazzimus Prime posted:

:ughh: Sorry, I've fallen behind on updating the OP. The fanart post should be up to date, please let me know if anything's missing!

AJ provided the Iron Maiden font and should be listed among collaborators :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
so when did Face get his one kill. I checked thinking he was unblooded only to find he was blooded!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Godna posted:

so when did Face get his one kill. I checked thinking he was unblooded only to find he was blooded!

Round 4, against the Subterranean Animists. Face earned his name against no less than Qwarf, who currently stands in joint third place on the leaderboard.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I'm pretty sure the dude managing jameson stopped following this whole thing, if the whole afk user issue comes up again

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Do we get murder now?

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Spermy Smurf posted:

Oh hey, its 3-sword-antwoman vs 3-sword-antwoman in my fight. Both of us up top too.

Good luck, rest of my team, I plan on dying in 9 seconds.

What antwoman? Braun is a dwarf.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

AJ_Impy posted:

Round 4, against the Subterranean Animists. Face earned his name against no less than Qwarf, who currently stands in joint third place on the leaderboard.

I just reread that. Are all of my writeups that corny and bad?

Sorry :(

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Spermy Smurf posted:

I just reread that. Are all of my writeups that corny and bad?

Sorry :(

No writer ever likes their prior work compared to their current work. It's all good. Wouldn't mind seeing a fresh example for comparison, though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just post the combat logs and let the power of ~imagination~ flow

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I'm pretty sure the dude managing jameson stopped following this whole thing, if the whole afk user issue comes up again

Cathode Raymond posted:

Can you put me on the list to get a fighter if another manager drops out? I want to experience the soul-crushing lows that most people express after each fight result.

:shobon:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
:siren: Iunnrais, John Charity Spring, alvie, and AnoHito, you each have 72 hours to either post in this thread or visit the site, or else your fighters in the current tournament will be placed up for adoption! :siren:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Abandoning a fighter is cruel, they could end up with a useless manager like me!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What if they're saving up points? They still gain interest right?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

SynthOrange posted:

What if they're saving up points? They still gain interest right?

Points only gain interest in the playoffs. And you only get the points if you visit the site once a round.

I think that if we do this style of tournament again, we'll probably increase the sale value of items to something more than 50% of their purchase value, to make it more feasible to upgrade mid-season.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
That sounds like a good idea - otherwise you're left in a position where you have to go through multiple rounds looking at the same weaknesses coming up time and again, just because you can't quite afford to fix the problem.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I know that's what happened to me. :smith:

This is loving harsh.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
80% sale value would probably be a good sweet point. Up 5% from 75%, because the extra 5% makes a big difference when you're talking about selling off the 2x, 5x value type items and selling off expensive bits for different expensive bits should be encouraged for large-scale rebuilding.

Maybe some kind of retraining program for skills, too? That one I could imagine be a much lesser resale value to prevent huge tactical shifts, say 20% resale value so weapon changes aren't 100% screwed, only 80%. :U

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 2, 2016

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
Yeah, Won't lie. At this point I just buy assuming I'll never upgrade again...I kinda gimped Face by not knowing so mcuh

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

jon joe posted:

Maybe some kind of retraining program for skills, too? That one I could imagine be a much lesser resale value to prevent huge tactical shifts, say 20% resale value so weapon changes aren't 100% screwed, only 80%. :U

Actually, my personal thought on this is more like consolidating weapon skills so the same skill can let you swap weapons more reliably if what you're using isn't working. We can consider resale value vs how many groups, but I'd hate for future tournaments to have a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" thing where if one tactic isn't working you're still sort of looking at a big chunk of your point total sunk into it.

My original thought was actually just "one weapon skill, or maybe one for melee, one for ranged", but in my head that was with the current resale for points, where that is your penalty for going from sword to mace to halberd to dagger, in itself. If rebuys are higher, it might end up needing to be played with to make it so it's not so feasible to revamp thoroughly.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

ZeeToo posted:

Actually, my personal thought on this is more like consolidating weapon skills so the same skill can let you swap weapons more reliably if what you're using isn't working. We can consider resale value vs how many groups, but I'd hate for future tournaments to have a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" thing where if one tactic isn't working you're still sort of looking at a big chunk of your point total sunk into it.

My original thought was actually just "one weapon skill, or maybe one for melee, one for ranged", but in my head that was with the current resale for points, where that is your penalty for going from sword to mace to halberd to dagger, in itself. If rebuys are higher, it might end up needing to be played with to make it so it's not so feasible to revamp thoroughly.

That wouldn't be Dwarf Fortress, though.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Are the fights paused for that 72 hour countdown?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Tomorrow I should be able to crank two out.

Just got busy is all.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Tomorrow I should be able to crank two out.

Just got busy is all.

Two... fights, right?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
All I can promise is that there will be a lot of grunting, sweating, and bodily fluids everywhere when I am done.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Is sweat even modeled in dwarf fortress.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

When creatures cry in dwarf fortress, it's modelled as a coating of tears on their eyes. A coating of sweat appears when they work out. This leads to hilarious bugs.

quote:

[Masterwork] My dwarves are sweating boulders, is that normal? (self.dwarffortress)

So in my fort, I have some weight benches I have my militia use to improve their stats, but lately it's been producing "sweat", like hundreds of these blue boulders that make it into my stone stockpile. I even noticed that one of my stone crafters had been making crafts out of sweat. Is this normal, or what broke to cause this and what can I do to fix it?
Also what could be related, rubble is no longer boiling away to nothing and is instead producing boulders.

[–]Fustigation 6 points 2 years ago
Make sure temperature is turned on. It is what causes these things to boil away.

[–]Battlesheep[S] 3 points 2 years ago
Ah, yeah, I recently turned it off to improve FPS, that must be it.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
What a silly question I asked. Of course sweat is modeled in dwarf fortress.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I hope this means you can make crafts out of Elf tears.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Temperature was turned off so sweat came out as solid boulders, which people began using as a crafting material. Dwarf fortress is like discworld: the game, complete with incompetent gods.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
If he turned temperature back on, would any masterwork sweat creations immediately sublimate and cause dwarves to get pissed off at their disappearance?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren: Round 11, Fight 1 :siren:

A Tarantino Film is on the left side of the arena.
Uma Thurman (AnoHito) is a female human. She wields a steel two-handed sword and wears leather armor.
Urist McLee (Fuubi) is a male dwarf. He is empty handed and wears a copper helm.
Snarls Barkley (Bene Elim) is a female werewolf. She wields a bronze pike and a wooden shield and wears a bronze helm, a bronze mail shirt, and bronze gauntlets.
Solomon Rabinowitz (Added Space) is a male serpent man. He is empty handed and wears a steel helm, a steel mail shirt, steel gauntlets, and steel high boots.

This Bites is on the right side of the arena.
Knife Toseeu (synthorange) is a female strangler. She wields a copper large dagger and wears no armor.
Sun Tzulander the Philomodel (Keru) is a male elf. He is empty handed and wears a leather cap.
Roland Gorchnik (Maarak) is a male human. He wields a copper scourge and wears an iron cap, leather armor, leather gauntlets, and leather low boots.
Eyeteeth IV (Revenant Threshold) is a male werewolf. He wields a copper shield and wears an iron helm, leather armor, an iron mail shirt, iron greaves, and copper high boots.

A Tarantino Film is a 1.27 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 2715.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 2143.00 dwarfbucks for This Bites.

The gladiators charge, Knife Toseeu gets first blood against Uma Thurman. Uma's foot is slashed open, arteries and ligaments are chopped and the bone is fractured. As she falls to the floor, Uma lashes out with her... wait, she seriously has a steel two handed sword? How long has she had that? Thats like a million points isn't it? Anyway... Knife Toseeu's backup arm goes flying.

Urist and Sun Tzulander trade punches, neither doing jack squat.

Knife Toseeu doesn't spare the gruesome injury any thought and plunges his dagger into Uma's chest.

And now the rest of the fighters get into it for real.

Sun Tzu is so focused on out-punching Urist that he doesn't notice Solomon sneaking up from behind. The snakeman clamps his jaws on Sun Tzu's side, teeth puncture liver, and paralyzing venom is injected into his blood. Sun Tzu passes out from pain, and then becomes paralyzed in the same second.

Knife Toseeu slashes his dagger down at Uma, tearing her stomach open and thats enough for Uma. She passes out as well.

Snarls Barkley disentangles himself from his teammate, Urist, who missed a charge, and plants his bronze pike into Sun Tzu's face.

Roland Gorchnik hasn't done much, but that changes when he lands his scourge against Snarls Barkleys ribs. The small ribs are crushed. Snarls turns to chase him away while the entire rest of the team focus' on the downed Uma.

It's basically Snarls against everyone for a moment and he gives a good account of himself by fracturing Eyeteeths hand. Solomon dives into the fray and bites Roland's thigh, but his leather armor protects him from the venom. Rolands return lash tears muscles and bruises the snakemans guts.

Knife Toseeu finally gets through Umas thick skull and gets a kill for his team. Things are still more or less even, but This Bites has taken a few more blows that may prove to be the difference.

Urist continues punching armored opponents for zero gain. Snarls Barkley shows him the benefits of a pike and stabs Roland in the neck. The spine is shattered (never seen that in the logs before!) and Roland does what any of us would have done... he continues fighting like nothing happened.

Snarls growls and stabs Roland in the chest, this time getting the reaction he wanted. Rolands lung quickly fills with blood, and he passes out from the pain.

Eyeteeth bites Solomon in the upper body, bruising his liver and tearing muscles. The snakeman rolls away to gather himself.

Snarls stabs down and kills Roland with one blow.

Eyeteeth is in the middle of the fray with Knife Toseeu on the outskirts. Can they pull a victory out here? The enemy is bruised and hurt enough that a single blow could send them unconscious even though its 3v2.

Nope. Urist chases Knife Toseeu away with fists of fury, and Solomon and Snarls tag-team the poor werewolf. Solomon bites and injects venom, then shakes Eyeteeth around which tears muscles and basically ends his chances.

Snarls Barkley has to wait for the violent shaking to end, then lines up a single strike and puts his pike into and through Eyeteeths head.

Now Knife Toseeu must overcome three opponents by himself. He's pale from blood loss, looking a little woozy on his feet.

He can't dodge everyone. Solomon catches him and injects venom for the third time this fight. He would have had all 4 opponents paralyzed, but Rolands armor protected him.

Solomon nearly rips his arm off by throwing him with his teeth, but Urist gets the kill by punching just before the strangler bleeds to death.

Tarantino Film
pulls out a 4-1 victory.

Kills:
Snarls Barkley: 3
Urist McLee: 1

Knife Toseeu: 1

Combat Log

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 4, 2016

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
A hattrick for Snarls raises him up to 13, which is just one shy of This Bites' entire contribution. Those 14 kills are now evenly split between Knife Toseeu thanks to his strike here and Roland Gorchik. The other two are vile unblooded, and have remained so for a full 11 rounds. Shame them!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
How many fights are left?

I've done 47 fights just in the regular season already.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
63 fights remain until the end of the regular season. Presuming 8 teams go into the playoffs, the quarter finals, semifinals and finals give a further seven fights, with an eighth if there's a bronze medal bout.

So, 70-71 total. 81 fights have taken place so far, we're on the home stretch.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Soooo many.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cripes.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
I need that time to get to the top of the betting.

If I'm not at the top of the betting 60 fights from now we need to extend the season.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cathode Raymond posted:

I need that time to get to the top of the betting.

I need that time for my team to get their collective asses in gear and get us in the running for this thing.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Uma Thurman's had her Hanzo steel from the very beginning. Cost 900 points, where humans start with 1200, leaving like basically no points for training to actually use the thing. True to her name, she's not an elite assassin, just a lady who pretends to be skilled with a hilariously expensive weapon.

I recall that a long time ago in an earlier tournament, there was a Gerard Butler with full Spartan regalia including a bronze shield. He met a messy end. Real Spartans used wooden shields with a thin covering of bronze, anyway :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
The early investment of a steel sword was a gamble, but it'll pay off big if they make it to the playoffs. Unfortunately, even with this win, that's not very likely!