Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sharkopath posted:

It had more depth than dow1, in the multi at least. Way more dependent on countering enemies build orders and taking advantage of unit abilities at the right time, along with awareness of the map and the status of all your units to minimize losses through retreat.

Cover too, very important, because I think it wasn't directional in Dawn of War 1, just a flat bonus.

Agreed, DoW2 was so good in multiplayer much like Starcraft 2. So very well balanced. The hero characters added a whole nother dimension but weren't overpowered and made the army function in a wholly unique manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

It had more depth than dow1, in the multi at least. Way more dependent on countering enemies build orders and taking advantage of unit abilities at the right time, along with awareness of the map and the status of all your units to minimize losses through retreat.

Cover too, very important, because I think it wasn't directional in Dawn of War 1, just a flat bonus.

Literally every RTS involves countering enemies build order and using units abilities. Dow2 just watered it down by removing base building and macro play and only cared about micro managing your 5 squads of things. Which is cool, but it just didn't scratch the competitive RTS itch that dow1 did for me

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I'd like to see an Turn based strategy game in the style of X-COM but with a 40K theme. Deathwatch would be perfect for this. Take your guys from lowly scouts to Chapter Master level of badass.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Uroboros posted:

I'd like to see an Turn based strategy game in the style of X-COM but with a 40K theme. Deathwatch would be perfect for this. Take your guys from lowly scouts to Chapter Master level of badass.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/394450/

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I want a Warhammer game in the vein of Campaign for North Africa, where all your responsibility as Warmaster is managing spreadsheets.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Paradox Presents: Imperia Universales 40 Kay

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014
I want a warhammer game in the vein of Master of Orion 3, where you have absolutely no loving idea what anything is or what it does.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Hixson posted:

Literally every RTS involves countering enemies build order and using units abilities. Dow2 just watered it down by removing base building and macro play and only cared about micro managing your 5 squads of things. Which is cool, but it just didn't scratch the competitive RTS itch that dow1 did for me

Dawn of War 1 was way more soft counter though, because you could reinforce anywhere on the field and even rapidly change loadout by just buying new units that would teleport down to the squad.

The decision to change a Devestator squad to lascannon in Dow2 is a more heavy decision since you are forcibly changing that unit to something else entirely permanently, the only unit that can switch around freely are tactical marines.

Not saying that DoW1 is even worse than 2, just that there are significant changes to gameplay that add a lot of depth compared to 1 that aren't just how many buildings you plop around the map.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 2, 2016

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Broguts posted:

I want a warhammer game in the vein of Master of Orion 3, where you have absolutely no loving idea what anything is or what it does.

I'm curious if there's anybody out there who genuinely liked MoO3. I never once had fun playing that game. I guess the diplomacy screens were pretty neat, I liked the weird silicate monsters.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
DOW1 was more about strategy and DOW2 was more about tactics. I preferred the sorta MOBA-ish nature of DOW2 multiplayer to the large strategy of DOW1

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014

panascope posted:

I'm curious if there's anybody out there who genuinely liked MoO3. I never once had fun playing that game. I guess the diplomacy screens were pretty neat, I liked the weird silicate monsters.

I'm sure that at least one developer doesn't hate it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Personally I like the pace and feel of fights in 2 more, but 1 has way better designed campaigns, except like soulstorm.

That said I'd definitely want 3 to be something different from 1's classic strategy and 2's adaption of company of heroes, an entirely new game.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Dawn of War 2 is genuinely the most fun I've ever had playing solo in an online game. Your narrower stock of units made each decision matter a lot more, and with the smaller unit count you also got to use a lot of the micro abilities. By being in a 3v3 match you also got the scale of the 40k setting pretty well, and the destructible environments, more rock-paper-scissors unit types, and direction aiming/cover made it a really great tactical game. Your decisions really mattered, whether that was putting a heavy bolter on this squad or choosing when to retreat. I dug the solo campaign but the multiplayer was where I put a couple hundred hours between the base game and its expansions. DoW1 is a better game for mindlessly building a bajillion dudes and bumrushing the AI in skirmishes, and I really dig its 3rd edition aesthetics, but it's a much shallower game with some fun spectacle. The base building is cool and all but isn't really the source of much depth, since you're gonna want to build everything eventually anyway.

That being said, that same Kickstarter I linked earlier now has a not-Space Marine armory and sort of squat generators among its Dawn of War-inspired buildings:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brush4hire/black-site-x-and-rapid-vanguard-terrain-by-death-r

I'm gonna be painting these up in Ultramarine colors and they're gonna look dope.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Anyone who plays DoW should get soulstorm and the ultimate apocalypse mod. It's so dope.

Played a 1v1 on a huge map vs an ork buddy. I pinned a gargant in place with thunder hammer terminators and bombarded it with artillery while drop podding 5+ venerable dreadnoughts in as close support. So fun.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Disappoint? This is good poo poo, good poo poo I tell you.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
It'd be great if the Overlord release includes a new map to play TLS with. Not that I think we're getting something that good.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Probably not, as otherwise the video would most likely have showcased it.

Also I love that the Overlord goes and resurrects everyone. Because, y'know, resurrection abilities are exactly what fucks up 99% of games when the group-clones appear. This is going to be so delicious with pubbies.

please let's make a group or something to match up with goons because I don't want to suffer the pubbies

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Carl, when is my legion getting it's unique units? It's been 2 years and we still have no idea what the stars on the torsos are supposed to be. You are my only hope.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

jadebullet posted:

Thanks for the replies guys. I really appreciate it.

In other news, the water effects have finally dried on the base of my latest model. This is actually the model that inspired me to build my Chaos Space Marine Army. I am most likely going to run it as my Dark Apostle, based on the fluff.

Goddamn.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

BULBASAUR posted:

Carl, when is my legion getting it's unique units? It's been 2 years and we still have no idea what the stars on the torsos are supposed to be. You are my only hope.

They're anchor plates for reinforcing I assume, because fortification something something iron warriors

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

i told you mang i found this one piece of art in collected visions of the heresy that has a super-heavy tank that vaguely looks like it belongs to the iron warriors (could be iron hands tho? or raven guard??? it's a night scene) and it has some of those stars on its hull.

Never say FW does not dig deep to find morsels of lore.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Well then.

E: Just realised I'm behind on hobby news and this may have been posted already. Whoops!

Fuegan fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 2, 2016

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Uroboros posted:

So... Chaos Gate?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Got these delivered today all the way from the Ukraine, such cool models! They did come with nice bases but I'm gonna do my own.

Super crisp and clean casts too, way better than any FW or GW resin I've seen.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Tau with titties

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
The uguu~~ is real.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Mango Polo posted:

Disappoint? This is good poo poo, good poo poo I tell you.

Well, when people were expecting something about DoW3 as opposed to the little timewaster sidegame in DoW2, a game that no longer has an active online player base, it's pretty disappointing.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Mango Polo posted:

i told you mang i found this one piece of art in collected visions of the heresy that has a super-heavy tank that vaguely looks like it belongs to the iron warriors (could be iron hands tho? or raven guard??? it's a night scene) and it has some of those stars on its hull.

Never say FW does not dig deep to find morsels of lore.

The stolen siege tanks?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hencoe posted:

The stolen siege tanks?

Hell if I know, my visions are packed in a box otherwise I'd go back and snap a shot. Can't really find that particular piece of art online either.

SRM posted:

Well, when people were expecting something about DoW3 as opposed to the little timewaster sidegame in DoW2, a game that no longer has an active online player base, it's pretty disappointing.

Hope first road disappointment yada yada.
But seriously this is perfect for me, so i guess I'll the the minority who is pumped as hell for the DLC.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I spent entirely too much time in Last Stand and this is a good excuse to do it again. I hope Mr. Necron Lord is as broken as the Tau Commander or Hive Tyrant.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
He sounds pretty neat at least.

quote:

The Overlords of the Necrons lead the legions into the carnage of war, commanding absolute authority over their subordinates. Armed with crackling war scythes and potent weaponry of ancient design, they dispatch their foes in flares of blinding energy.

Bringing a fresh playstyle to the battlefield, the Necron Overlord can be played as long-ranged fast firing “battlecruiser” or as area-of-effect melee expert. A full complement of wargear supports either style of play.

The signature ability of the Necron Overlord allows him to summon the god-like Nightbringer to the battlefield, an ancient star deity that can rain destruction on all the Overlord’s enemies.

Would have been neat if they made some tweaks to current items, e.g. I think Sorcerer with Let The Galaxy Burn is still its best build, but they're only doing bug fixes.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Mango Polo posted:

Probably not, as otherwise the video would most likely have showcased it.

Also I love that the Overlord goes and resurrects everyone. Because, y'know, resurrection abilities are exactly what fucks up 99% of games when the group-clones appear. This is going to be so delicious with pubbies.

please let's make a group or something to match up with goons because I don't want to suffer the pubbies

That is a new map actually, unless they just intended it as a generic setting for the animation.

The bloody colosseum was in the eldar ruins in the jungles of typhon and the anvil of khorne is a big black crater full of broken vehicles.

Desert ruins would be a new map.

Nowhere in the screenshots though, boo!!

From all the wargear descriptions it sounds like you can kit the Overlord out to do anything, a lot like the tau commander. A team of just Overlords would probably be broken as heck.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 2, 2016

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
You're right, I thought it was the jungle colosseum but this is different.
But all the focus is on just the new character though it still looks grim for a new arena :(

If it's as well designed as the tau commander then it'll be awesome.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I never thought I'd ever say the words: Forgeworld has a Facebook page now?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

OhDearGodNo posted:

Eeeyup. Which is nice and hopefully marks a return to social media for GW to some extent.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

OhDearGodNo posted:

They've had it for a while, was just taken back into use.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
Meanwhile, GW's twitter feed, @VoxCaster, has not updated in years. I'm guessing the employee who handled it quit and walked away with the password. God forbid you interact with the dev studio unless GW can monetize it somehow with a Games Day seminar. Is Games Day still a thing?

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Got these delivered today all the way from the Ukraine, such cool models! They did come with nice bases but I'm gonna do my own.

So is this from Dakka? Please tell me it is.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Cadians! Prepare to die for your EMPEROR!

Bravely led by Captain Disapproving Scowl
(Bonus points to those that recognize the technological relic he's standing on)

These are the first cadians i've ever painted, but they came out nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

No lie, I really like the Big Shas and Gunslinger veterans. The exposed cleavage on the female minis is a bit much for me but otherwise I kind of dig those sculpts too. Will definitely get the male ones at some point to use as unit leaders for my Fire Warriors.

• Locked thread