Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Hunting game is just a polite term for MH clone. If you can't get yourself into MH, chances are you're not going to get anything out of the games that wish they were it. I would recommend Dogma, slow starting but it borrows from both Souls and MH. You can throw your pawns off a cliff and play solo if Capcom AI bothers you. It is also Souls in the sense that there's rewards for knowledge of know how, although its story is still quest oriented though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Megalixir posted:

Hunting game is just a polite term for MH clone.

It would be, but hunting games have been trying enough new that it's kind of eclipsed "MH clone" like FPS did "Doom clone". SoulSac is certainly a hunting game but it's hard to say it's a Monster Hunter clone compared to something much more orthodox like Toukiden.

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.
Not sure why I do but I just call them (Monster) Raid games. It applies to any missions based action game that takes place over and over in the same maps and with skill based loot. I guess.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Speaking of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mx9oSXwZ1U

A small message from both, the producer and director, of the God Eater series. What I'm looking forward is what they mean by exclusive content. New collaborations, maybe?

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Not sure how to feel about this. :saddowns:

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

NESguerilla posted:

I guess it's that I like them on paper that bugs me. I like the look of most of them, I like hitting stuff with swords, I like customizing my guy. When I actually play them I feel so bored though. The most I've ever put into one was the most recent MH, which was probably 6 hours. Maybe they hit a point where they feel more engaging, but after I put a few hours in I feel like I should be somewhat invested but I'm just bored.

Okay, I get what you're saying now. And yeah, MH types are usually super slow at the start, and pick up heavily the more time you invest. I feel like 6 hours is kind of only skimming the surface of those types of game. Usually by hour 20 or so you've set up a farm that automatically gives you items so you don't need to farm all that much any more and completed the first major armor/weapon that will push you over a hurdle boss, and then you're just running around carving monster up left and right.

It's not the hardest genre to get into, but I totally understand when people can't get through the slowness of the start up.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

I like Souls games, P* games, metroid, western RPGs, some shooters...

I guess it's that I like them on paper that bugs me. I like the look of most of them, I like hitting stuff with swords, I like customizing my guy. When I actually play them I feel so bored though. The most I've ever put into one was the most recent MH, which was probably 6 hours. Maybe they hit a point where they feel more engaging, but after I put a few hours in I feel like I should be somewhat invested but I'm just bored.

The most recent one I tried was SSD (which I guess is a little different) and after a few hours I just quit because it was just spam attacks for 3 minutes at this 1-5 monsters, kill them, repeat. I'm sure it gets more challenging but the journey sure wasn't fun. maybe it's just not my genre. Feels like so much busywork.

XCOM and Castlevania for sure. The rest are things I enjoy to some degree.

XCOM is a lot of down time too though. If I get really into a game down time isn't problem. It's just actually fighting monsters in these games never really feels fun to me.

I'm in a very similar boat, heard nothing but great stuff about MH and it seemed right up my alley. MH4U was my first foray and I played like 20 hours before realizing I just don't like the game at all. Probably half of those hours are in menus and towns and running to the monster and watching skinning animations. I would probably like the games one million times more if it was just an arena with a boss and that was it. And you didn't need to have an outside website on hand at all times to even figure out what you're supposed to be doing in the game. I usually never do that but MH felt completely hopeless to me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

In Training posted:

I would probably like the games one million times more if it was just an arena with a boss and that was it.

Have you ever tried Toukiden Kiwami? It still has some of the fiddly town stuff and etc. but quite a lot less of it. There should be a free demo on PSN.

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!
Hey, haven't been here in a little while.

Does anyone have a solution regarding charging a non-charging Vita? I have the original model. I'm hoping that maybe it's just a faulty charger, but I'm also hoping it's an easy fix because I'm piss poor and can't afford a new charger right now.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

If your Vita was battery dead for more than a month, one of two things happened: battery gave out the ghost or (more likely) it's going to take about a hour or two of charging just for you to be able to hard power it on (Home button + Power Button pressed and held for a few seconds) and then a lot more time for a full charge.

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!

Saoshyant posted:

If your Vita was battery dead for more than a month, one of two things happened: battery gave out the ghost or (more likely) it's going to take about a hour or two of charging just for you to be able to hard power it on (Home button + Power Button pressed and held for a few seconds) and then a lot more time for a full charge.

It's actually still got about half the battery left. I was keeping it off to conserve it while I tried to figure this out. I'm not getting any orange charging light, and no charging symbol in the top right corner :'(

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Oh. Are you doing it via USB or using the actual charger? If it doesn't do anything even via USB it's the cable and you are out of luck finding an OEM one, though some goon here linked me a cheap third party that wasn't bad supposedly. If it's the charger itself that should be easy to replace.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
atelier ayesha feels a lot more like a regular jrpg than e&l did, what with having a plot and character motivation

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

corn in the bible posted:

atelier ayesha feels a lot more like a regular jrpg than e&l did, what with having a plot and character motivation

Which is why I enjoyed it a fair bit more. Also every single piece of music is fantastic.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

oh yeah and it has more than, like, ten locations

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Megalixir posted:

Hunting game is just a polite term for MH clone. If you can't get yourself into MH, chances are you're not going to get anything out of the games that wish they were it. I would recommend Dogma, slow starting but it borrows from both Souls and MH. You can throw your pawns off a cliff and play solo if Capcom AI bothers you. It is also Souls in the sense that there's rewards for knowledge of know how, although its story is still quest oriented though.

ah mh games are like dragons dogma? i loved dogma but i've never heard this comparison before. maybe i should try one

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Davincie posted:

ah mh games are like dragons dogma? i loved dogma but i've never heard this comparison before. maybe i should try one

they are not.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Davincie posted:

they are completely different from dragon's dogma

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Dragon's Dogma is Capcom's answer to Monster Hunter.

...wait

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!

Saoshyant posted:

Oh. Are you doing it via USB or using the actual charger? If it doesn't do anything even via USB it's the cable and you are out of luck finding an OEM one, though some goon here linked me a cheap third party that wasn't bad supposedly. If it's the charger itself that should be easy to replace.

Both T_T I will save up and buy another charger, thank you. This is actually my second one (it's third-party through GameStop), since I lost the original, so maybe it's just a crappy quality and needs to be replaced once in a while. Either way, you made me feel better. Thanks!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
afaik dragon's dogma did take some notes from monster hunter for its larger scale fights, but the core experiences couldn't be less similar

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dragon's Dogma is hard to describe. It's like a whole lot of games, like Monster Hunter and the Souls series and Shadow of the Colossus and yet it's like absolutely none of them too. Great game though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dragon's dogma is even less like dark souls, hideaki itsuno is the director of the devil may cry series ever since the second game and it takes way more influence from those than it does souls. and even then that's only for warrior-class gameplay

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Dragon's Dogma is hard to describe. It's like a whole lot of games, like Monster Hunter and the Souls series and Shadow of the Colossus and yet it's like absolutely none of them too. Great game though.

It's Skyrim but actually good. There

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I want dragons dogma gameplay with Bethesda quality worlds and quests. That would be my dream game.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

NESguerilla posted:

I want dragons dogma gameplay with Bethesda quality worlds and quests. That would be my dream game.
plus you would be able to put in boob mods and get D_T interested

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

CrashCat posted:

DT comes for the boobs but only stays for meaningful character development of those boobs tho

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

OxMan posted:

DT comes for the boobs but only stays for meaningful character development of those boobs tho

:same:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CrashCat posted:

why would you have to? you can already get those in the vanilla game, and a strong tomboy wife

mod support is no longer necessary when the game has already given you everything you asked for...

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

OxMan posted:

Did the SK games actually have any kind of interesting story/characters or is it just DT being DT

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Lol if you didn't marry Fournival so you don't have to gently caress with the guards in gran soren

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

Did the SK games actually have any kind of interesting story/characters or is it just DT being DT

The SK stories are OK.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

vkeios posted:

Lol if you didn't marry Fournival so you don't have to gently caress with the guards in gran soren

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Help Im Alive posted:

the senran kagura 3ds games do try to take the story and characters in interesting directions apparently and i personally can't judge cause i've never played them

the vita games are really ridiculous, silly fanservice but he doesn't really like them

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Man lucky for you guys I have about 75,000 words typed up about the intricate plot of Senran Kagura : Bon Appetit!

edit: what the poo poo there's a character limit on posts

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

Posts can only hold a certain amount of boobs and I'm sure 75,000 is way beyond that limit.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Txn posted:

Posts can only hold a certain amount of boobs and I'm sure 75,000 is way beyond that limit.

I was led to believe anything would be possible once we were on The Cloud.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Saint Freak posted:

Man lucky for you guys I have about 75,000 words typed up about the intricate plot of Senran Kagura : Bon Appetit!

I would recommend making your own thread and sniping the first 2-3 pages.

Thanks in advance.

Slow as hell vita news day.

In Training posted:

It's Skyrim but actually good. There

What features does it lack compared to Skyrim? Housing, etc...?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-tv-discontinued-in-the-us-europe/1100-6435193/

PSTV is also discontinued everywhere but Asia according to a Sony representative. I don't think the earlier Vita TV articles were clear about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Dehry posted:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-tv-discontinued-in-the-us-europe/1100-6435193/

PSTV is also discontinued everywhere but Asia according to a Sony representative. I don't think the earlier Vita TV articles were clear about it.
Eagerly awaiting the firmware update that just replaces the dashboard with a giant middle finger