Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

All he needs is a police mugshot number :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Disco Salmon posted:

All he needs is a police mugshot number :P

Find the perp.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

A cockatiel would only do that by accident.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Sekkira posted:

A cockatiel would only do that by accident.

Gigi the Mecha-Macaw could probably cause a fire by chewing through wires with her new metal beak :mrwhite:

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Greys would do it as a warning.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
beep beep! baby dinosaur comin thru

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

I like this new thing.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
This picture is just getting me every time I open this thread, I start hyena laughing

It's such a perfect edit

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Thor, just chillin.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I leave this last photo without comment.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

learnincurve posted:

Thor, just chillin.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

sunnyside brand is almost impossible to open even when you have thumbs.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They are going to murder me in my sleep :(

Has anyone heard the red rump/parakeet help me I'm being killed alarm call, it is quite the sound. No you are not being murdered, you are just trying to wedge yourself in-between wardrobe and wall to avoid the net you silly bird.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bird addict is not covered in nearly enough poo poo and feathers, what a phony

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Bird addicts post the dumb poo poo you do that's a direct result of being a bird crazy

Here's a small one; putting off cutting my nails a bit longer than usual even though I hate them being more than like 1mm long because they're so much better for providing bird scritches

Reik posted:

What kind of bird is the rainbow colored one Steve? They're He's gorgeous handsome. Chilltato Ohtori is also gorgeous, I just know they're a Cockatiel.

Other way around-Steve Pending is a cockatiel, Ohtori is a Blue throated conure!

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
EDIT: This post belongs in the birding thread, not the pet birds thread. I'm dumb and clicked the first bird-related thread I found. Sorry.

Not so much a pets question, but a bird question. I saw this bird in Istanbul and thought it looked tremendously out of place perched in a tree in continental Europe.

Can anyone help me identify this bird?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
So having spent considerable effort and money to get my sister and her cockatiel Boggle from Spain, via my place here in the UK to their new home in Nova Scotia (a story I must get around to typing up at some point) he suddenly fell in on New Year's day. The 'local' avian vet (2+ hours drive away) was able to take swabs and a blood sample. Boggle returned the favour and took a blood sample from the vet. Boggle was put on a 30 day course of antibiotics, and took further blood samples daily directly from the fingats until my sis found a pair of strong leather gloves to wear whilst dosing.

The tests came back and showed 1) a serious bacterial infection, which would hopefully be cleared up by the antibiotics and 2) a uric acid count of 1200+ indicating that either the infection had spread to the kidneys or that the kidneys themselves were seriously and incurably diseased. With levels so ridiculously high the vet suspected the latter and such a condition would likely be eventually fatal.

Dosing continued, and the gloves got tattered, and they went back to the vet for more tests. Results came back yesterday: Boggle has a (to quote the vet) "miraculous" uric acid count of 212 and a totally clean bill of health.

Naturally this is cause for celebration, and the best way to celebrate is a bath, followed by a shower, followed by another bath :3:

He's also apparently decided to pretend he's in a Picasso

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Gstu posted:

Not so much a pets question, but a bird question. I saw this bird in Istanbul and thought it looked tremendously out of place perched in a tree in continental Europe.

Can anyone help me identify this bird?

That's an Indian ring-neck parakeet. There are very successful flocks of them all over the world, usually in parks in cities where some have escaped from homes or zoos.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Tsaedje posted:

So having spent considerable effort and money to get my sister and her cockatiel Boggle from Spain, via my place here in the UK to their new home in Nova Scotia (a story I must get around to typing up at some point) he suddenly fell in on New Year's day. The 'local' avian vet (2+ hours drive away) was able to take swabs and a blood sample. Boggle returned the favour and took a blood sample from the vet. Boggle was put on a 30 day course of antibiotics, and took further blood samples daily directly from the fingats until my sis found a pair of strong leather gloves to wear whilst dosing.

The tests came back and showed 1) a serious bacterial infection, which would hopefully be cleared up by the antibiotics and 2) a uric acid count of 1200+ indicating that either the infection had spread to the kidneys or that the kidneys themselves were seriously and incurably diseased. With levels so ridiculously high the vet suspected the latter and such a condition would likely be eventually fatal.

Dosing continued, and the gloves got tattered, and they went back to the vet for more tests. Results came back yesterday: Boggle has a (to quote the vet) "miraculous" uric acid count of 212 and a totally clean bill of health.

Naturally this is cause for celebration, and the best way to celebrate is a bath, followed by a shower, followed by another bath :3:

He's also apparently decided to pretend he's in a Picasso

Boggle is gorgeous and apparently quite the daring model. I'm so glad he recovered! Yay for animals surprising us :)

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Boggle :kimchi: That's awesome.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
It could be an alexandrine, it looks too big for a ringneck imo. The beaks also really chunky for a ring neck and afaik ringnecks dont have colour patches, but the 2 Ive had were both mutations.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 1, 2016

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I know we've talked about the beak hole being a vaguely creepy parrot feature, but I think the weirdest thing about birds is still the preen gland.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I know we've talked about the beak hole being a vaguely creepy parrot feature, but I think the weirdest thing about birds is still the preen gland.

:stare: I did not know this was a thing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tsaedje posted:

That's an Indian ring-neck parakeet. There are very successful flocks of them all over the world, usually in parks in cities where some have escaped from homes or zoos.

I'm in Florida. I got screeched at by a flock of wild budgies on my lunch break today.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I looked more into it and I'm 99% sure it's an Alexandrine based on the red patch on his neck. They are basically just ringnecks except bigger and imo prettier. According to google they are named after Alexander the Great cause he bought a tonne of them to the Mediterranean and Europe, so it's either an escaped pet or a descendant of one.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 1, 2016

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

:derptiel: Don't mind me, I'm just rubbin' the grease nipple on my butt

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
It's been overcast and slightly drizzly all day today. A while ago it started properly raining, which caught Toast's attention (it's been a fairly dry year, though the humidity doesn't know that). He then started flying between the window and the kitchen sink while squeaking insistently at me. Eventually I realised he wanted the tap on so he had a nice little bath on my arm in the sink :kimchi: He has mostly dried off now, except for the top of his head, which remains in a crown/Bart Simpson hairstyle.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/S_Coochan/status/704639709344088064

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Every single one of that user's vines is worth watching btw

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Charlie has decided the newest and coolest thing to do is knock the pellet bowl over and spill his food everywhere. I tried weighing it down and he just figured out how to knock it over while hanging off the side of the cage for extra leverage. Dude is 5 years old and still finding amusing ways to gently caress with me.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I like how his crest expands as he realises his power is infinite.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Seriously, the slow realization of the joy of destruction :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

So many cups, not enough songs to sing into them.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The little "weh!" at the end gets me every time

EDIT oh man this one with the little head bob that looks like a bow :kimchi: "Konnichiwa!"

https://vine.co/v/irWgp3lgJmt

Tendai fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 2, 2016

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Oh sure thread pretend you don't do any bird crazy things and that it's just me :mad:

Have Inko in a bath

Guess you can't really tell here esp since he's up on the side a bit annoyed at the camera, but it's so deep he was moving around on just the tips of his front toe/s. He even had his wings spread out so he could float around in the middle

He showed his annoyance at the camera afterwards too

Aww. Contemplative 'tiel. Great that he's doing fine after his ordeal!

Mr.Boofu
Mar 22, 2003
~_~
My conure will be weaned in a week. I posted about it a few months ago and I've been lurking since then. Any first time tips?

Mr.Boofu fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ugh that was horrible. Putni wouldn't get into his cage on his own tonight, and I had to chase him around with a net for 20 minutes :(