Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

What does the half finished building foundation right near the farmcave end up becoming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I"m befriending every spouse right now just in case one of them makes me change my mind later in their storyline. I like that the only one whose father tried to scare me away from dating her at all is the only one who I can sneak directly into her bedroom without having to go through the main house (Maru).

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I was a bit worried that the romance plotlines were going to be a bit dry, but I just tossed a bouquet of flowers at Leah and got her special 8 heart event. I can already tell where this is going and it actually looks like it'll be interesting without being overwrought, and hopefully it'll have a :3: ending.

I really want to see the special events for all the characters now. Except Alex and Haley. They seem like they were written to be as flatly unlikeable as possible.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Fans posted:

Just keep the squares around them clear and they'll grow.

Anyway someone did the math on crop profits and here it is
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wgpGDKF4duBeeSwmZxKLAnGU2BJsvoZ5K-CGzKKZTfU/edit

Or to put it simply. If you want cold hard crop cash then it's Strawberries for Spring, Starfruit (Blueberries if you don't have them) for Summer and Cranberries for Fall.

Though I imagine artisan goods and cooking can make other crops profitable. I really want to sit down and work out how much you can make from cooking sometime.
This is the first accurate spreadsheet I have seen. Blueberries are better than starfruit but a bit more effort. They have a lower upfront cost though so if it's year 1 you are going to profit way more off of blueberries.

It doesn't factor in artisan goods or processing your own seeds. Wheat/Hops are actually a huge cash crop if you have the kegs to back them up.

LunaSky
Sep 10, 2008

Even Diablo has a soft side
I'm bad at fishing. Any tips or tricks? I've caught 1 fish.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Keep the green bar set so the fish rests in the top half. Tapping is far superior to press and hold unless it's one of the cheeky bastard fishes who like to change depths at the drop of a hat (LOOKING AT YOU GLACIERFISH) due to the momentum you build up. Buy Trout Soup from Willy to make things a little easier to start. If the fish dives to the bottom, cancel out the bounce of the lure by tapping just before or after it hits the bottom.

unexplodable
Aug 13, 2003
How do I sell livestock? I'm not seeing the option at Marnie's...

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

unexplodable posted:

How do I sell livestock? I'm not seeing the option at Marnie's...

Talk to your animal until its status screen comes up, there's small buttons to switch them to another coop/barn or sell them.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Sage Grimm posted:

Keep the green bar set so the fish rests in the top half. Tapping is far superior to press and hold unless it's one of the cheeky bastard fishes who like to change depths at the drop of a hat (LOOKING AT YOU GLACIERFISH) due to the momentum you build up. Buy Trout Soup from Willy to make things a little easier to start. If the fish dives to the bottom, cancel out the bounce of the lure by tapping just before or after it hits the bottom.
I'd recommend holding briefly. No point in exclusively tapping. Just hold it long enough so it stays still or barely starts to rise then release. Hold it again right before it drops.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer
The fact that you can't save mid-day is leading to horrible multiple hour bouts of just-one-more-day syndrome. I'll hop in bed and say that's my last day for now.... but then I just have to poke my head out the door to see if anything ripened overnight... and then the horrible cycle begins again. I need help.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

El Cid posted:

The fact that you can't save mid-day is leading to horrible multiple hour bouts of just-one-more-day syndrome. I'll hop in bed and say that's my last day for now.... but then I just have to poke my head out the door to see if anything ripened overnight... and then the horrible cycle begins again. I need help.

There's something you have to do tomorrow but if you just quit now you'll have forgotten by the time you fire the game back up!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I went to the caves and realized that I no longer have a sword. Now what?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Can someone point me towards the diagram of optimal way to plant trees? Looking to get some of that sweet sweet Maple Syrup business but don't want to shoot myself in the foot if I plant like a jack rear end
Is it 8 TOTAL squares away from anything else?

So:

x x x x M x x x x

So it will grow fully compared to if I did like

M x x x M x x x M

I assume they would all not grow to full size?

Fans posted:

It's 8 squares around it so you can grow them like.

XXXXXXX
XTXTXTX
XXXXXXX
XTXTXTX
XXXXXXX

They really don't take up much space.
Correct.

Fans posted:

I think Walkways stop them growing, I had one there by accident and it didn't get past the smallest stage. Not 100% on that, but pretty sure.
Not correct, you can put walkways in. Though, I'm guessing it stops them from dropping seeds into the ground, so I wouldn't do it on that basis.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

LunaSky posted:

Try fishing in lakes for a while; there's at least one fish there that just likes to chill close to the bottom of the bar. That way you can get your skill level up and stand more of a chance against the jumpier fish.

unexplodable
Aug 13, 2003

Psykmoe posted:

Talk to your animal until its status screen comes up, there's small buttons to switch them to another coop/barn or sell them.

Awesome, thanks. I'll try livestock again next year if I can manage a huge field of grass.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I'm in Spring Year 2 and it's so nice to see everything all green again :3:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Psykmoe posted:

There's something you have to do tomorrow but if you just quit now you'll have forgotten by the time you fire the game back up!

poo poo, yes, this is me every time. Go to bed with 'ok I need to immediately do this and this tomorrow' and then once that's done I have to play out the whole day....which would be fine, days are so short. Except I always wind up with something else I need to do in the morning.

Winter has been an amazingly chill experience so far, though. I think once spring hits I'm going to scale back to just what my sprinklers can handle and leave that watering can in the chest forever.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Can you sell minerals/artifacts? I've got doubles of things and I don't have any idea who will buy them.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

What does the half finished building foundation right near the farmcave end up becoming

It's the Greenhouse presumably.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Emalde posted:

It's nothing bad, you should incubate it but bear in mind the thing that hatches just lays more of these and they can't be made into Mayo iirc

What a missed opportunity, someone please mod in Void Mayonnaise

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've discovered what the dilapidated building near the Wizard's Tower does.

:3:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

inthesto posted:

I was a bit worried that the romance plotlines were going to be a bit dry, but I just tossed a bouquet of flowers at Leah and got her special 8 heart event. I can already tell where this is going and it actually looks like it'll be interesting without being overwrought, and hopefully it'll have a :3: ending.

I really want to see the special events for all the characters now. Except Alex and Haley. They seem like they were written to be as flatly unlikeable as possible.

Alex's events actually go a fair way towards making him more likeable/relatable. I've only seen his 2 and 4(6?) hearts, but both were pretty good (then I stopped caring because I got my kitchen and sashimi'd my way to Sebastian's heart instead of trying to farm frozen tears forever)

LunaSky posted:

Buy the Trout Stew from the fisherman. That +1 Fishing Skill buff does a lot when you have no fishing skill, and 2-3 fish pay it back and should be close to enough to level up your skill the first time (which I think also unlocks the better rod)

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Zoe posted:

Winter has been an amazingly chill experience so far, though. I think once spring hits I'm going to scale back to just what my sprinklers can handle and leave that watering can in the chest forever.

I've been trying to hard to grind Iridium. Between mining and the traveling merchant I have four iridium sprinklers. That should be enough crop space to make a decent amount of money without having to worry about watering, but the farm is just so big. Must get more sprinklers...

Edit: At this rate I might cordon off half the farm to just livestock and really try to go all-in on grass now that it's growth rate has been "improved".

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 2, 2016

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Harmburger posted:

Correct.

Not correct, you can put walkways in. Though, I'm guessing it stops them from dropping seeds into the ground, so I wouldn't do it on that basis.

Holy hell this is useful

OP please put this on first page when it comes to tree's so much more clear then the generic "8 tiles must be clear" crap

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

How much grass do I get out of a "grass starter" if I buy one?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Huh, one of my seed machines just spit this out instead of the potato I put in.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Another thing that might be good for the OP is a spoiled list of Stardrop Fruit locations, since getting more energy is kinda important? I've found 4 in my first year and feel like I missed a fifth.

Locations I've found and one I think I missed: Level 100 of the mines, Bought at the Fall Fair for 2000 Star Points, bring a Sweet Gem Fruit (from the Rare Seed that takes most of fall to grow) to the statue in the Secret Woods, bought in the Sewer for 20k, and I think there may be a secret way to get one at the festival of the winter star or Marlon lied to me

Also: I think Slime Ranching might only really start to shine once you get the slime-killing reward from the adventurer's guild which is a ring that reduces/prevents damage from slimes

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

LibbyM posted:

How much grass do I get out of a "grass starter" if I buy one?

Grass spreads and infects nearby tiles, so get a few grass starters, place them a few tiles apart, and wait for the grass to fill in. Don't harvest too much grass at once or you will need a new starter.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Fans posted:

They're not being fed probably. Are you laying hay out on the bench thing?

inthesto posted:

If you're letting them outside, try shutting the chicken door after they've gone back inside at night

This seems to lead to a better rate of them laying eggs in the morning

I think that the heater wasn't working somehow??? It's mid winter and those ladies are locked in with food.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
When you complete your first quest for the community center what bridge do they fixed?I fixed the one next to the beach already, is there another one down?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Tiny Chalupa posted:

When you complete your first quest for the community center what bridge do they fixed?I fixed the one next to the beach already, is there another one down?

Below and to the right of the Adventurer's Guild.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Fhqwhgads posted:

I've been trying to hard to grind Iridium. Between mining and the traveling merchant I have four iridium sprinklers. That should be enough crop space to make a decent amount of money without having to worry about watering, but the farm is just so big. Must get more sprinklers...
The crazy thing is that after you start deploying sprinklers it gets addictive. There's no sense in not planting more because you just automatically have money coming in thanks to those little bastards. They are basically what I've always wanted in a harvest moon game but Natsume has never put it in.

Also yeah I'm basically earmarking everything west of the greenhouse as pastureland for animals, no regrets. Now I just need to get the material together to clear that load of crap.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

What do people think of geologist versus miner? If the %chance is good geologist seems stronger, but miner is a guaranteed +1 ore so that is reliable, if the % on geologist is bad.

PhantomZero posted:

Grass spreads and infects nearby tiles, so get a few grass starters, place them a few tiles apart, and wait for the grass to fill in. Don't harvest too much grass at once or you will need a new starter.

Makes sense, thanks.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Coolguye posted:

Also yeah I'm basically earmarking everything west of the greenhouse as pastureland for animals, no regrets. Now I just need to get the material together to clear that load of crap.

Yeah this is my plan as well, although I'll probably leave some trees with tappers standing to break up the monotony. Unless falling acorns/seeds gets to be too much of an annoyance I guess.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Tall grass will prevent those seeds from falling iirc, which basically makes it ideal for a tapper farm. Means you don't have to take up a ton of space elsewhere.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

Just saw CA post on Twitter that there's an item that you can use to make it rain for the day. Anybody found it?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Diogines posted:

Where is the best place to fish in the first few days, to maximize your income?

i dont think there's any difference in fish value between river/lake/ocean, so probably right outside the fish shack in the ocean so you can run in there at 4:59 pm and slap your catch on the counter

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Has anyone tried putting the Ancient Seeds in the greenhouse?

Continued production of those babies seems like it would be brilliant.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

Jesto posted:

I made a stone fence around my barn and coop, put some grass seeds in there to grow, called it a day. I had a mayo machine just outside the wall.

An event pops up saying weeds have caused some destruction on my farm, I wake up to a rock having overwritten my mayo machine. Apparently I'm not supposed to grow grass for my animals to eat because it'll destroy my expensive things?

Don't put anything next to stone walls. Rocks fall off and overwrite things. It's kind of dumb.