Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I just took my first runs at VIR Full (drat you Geeves, 20 seconds ahead of me!) and I want to agree: It's everything a track should be. It's Maple Valley, but longer (yeah, I said it). It has all the complexity of a CoTA but it's WAY more fun. I bet the shorter versions are even more of a blast.

Also, as a North Carolina resident, even though it's technically in Virginia, I've never felt more at home. It has the bulldozed-out red southern clay, Coca-Cola and BISCUITVILLE ads everywhere, and all the right foliage and coloring. It's great in every way and it's really quite challenging. It's got really fast parts, and deceivingly sharp corners.

I'm really sorry if you don't care for Porches (there are 21 of them, there's gotta be something in there you'd like!) but all these variants of VIR are distracting me from the league I'm supposed to be working on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Before it gets mod edited:

https://gfycat.com/AmusingAdvancedHammerheadshark

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Isn't it great when you have some victim-blamer defending their lovely driving and total disregard for sportsmanship saved and ready for upload to expose their hypocrisy?

Unfortunately, it never changes their minds but it's always nice to have the clip saved and ready to cue up when someone blames their lovely behavior on you.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Can we talk about how great the Cayman GTS is because it is really, really great.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

The Cayman GTS is pretty good.

Plus my current car obsession, the 918 :allears:

Good cars, good track, worth $20 for sure.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

drat, the Patriot Alt course has some tricky rear end corners!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

VIR is pretty cool but I am unreasonably unhappy that they have a variant called the Patriot course.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

njsykora posted:

The IGN thing I read made it sound like they're testing the waters and if it works they'd release Horizon 3 and Motorsport 7 on PC same day. Making it free is probably the only way they could get the hardcore sim racing crowd to even look at it as well.

Absolutely. The only way they could gently caress it up now would be to announce that it won't support steering wheels.

Which is of course exactly what they've done.

A sim.

On PC.

That doesn't support steering wheels.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Cubey posted:

VIR is pretty cool but I am unreasonably unhappy that they have a variant called the Patriot course.

Virginia: Where there's nothing more patriotic than using a ton of gas and oil.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Dudley posted:

Absolutely. The only way they could gently caress it up now would be to announce that it won't support steering wheels.

Which is of course exactly what they've done.

A sim.

On PC.

That doesn't support steering wheels.
WASD Supremacy! MAKE PC GAMING GREAT AGAIN!

Actually, racing games would be about the only exception I'd have to not using mouse/kb. Using an Xbone controller would be fine, to me at least, but I agree 100% that if they expect to get PC sales, they need wheel support.

e: From what I understand, this is basically a free to play game, a proof of concept basically, to gauge interest. They probably cut the dev. budget where they could.

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 2, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

If the xbone trigger rumble works on PC I'll be okay.

Still loving stupid that it won't have wheel support.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Norns posted:

If the xbone trigger rumble works on PC I'll be okay.

Lol

For content:

Turn10 said on Twitter that the Lambo Centenario will be the cover car of the next Forza game. It should be Horizon 3 right? I don't see them ditching that concept, and it's too soon for a new FM game.

https://twitter.com/ForzaMotorsport/status/704988188855693312

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Fool me twice, shame on me, fool me a third time? Not happening. With horizon they had a chance to make a more realistic Test drive: unlimited, and what they did is make TD:U again but with dumber music and bonuses for crashing and a "brotastic bro" barn find lady mechanic. Personally I'd rather see a rally/rallycross forza series, or even "Forza Watersports" over another Horizon.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Fool me twice, shame on me, fool me a third time? Not happening. With horizon they had a chance to make a more realistic Test drive: unlimited, and what they did is make TD:U again but with dumber music and bonuses for crashing and a "brotastic bro" barn find lady mechanic. Personally I'd rather see a rally/rallycross forza series, or even "Forza Watersports" over another Horizon.

this is a good mattd1zzl3 post

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Forza Watersports

Obvious joke aside this is now the game I want more than anything else in the world.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I liked FH2, but that's a pretty valid argument. FH is supposed to be the open world "for funsies" racer, and I really think they should embrace that a bit more. I think they did a great job with the wild off-road races in FH2, but a lot of the locations were boring, so here's my idea:

FH:P. Forza Horizon: Planetary Edition. Much like the Storm Island expansion, you're given the option to take your car to Mars and race in a reduced-gravity environment. Ramp 200ft in the air, do donuts on Olympus Mons, and make your opponents eat gigantic clouds of red dust.

The boss battle is point-to-point race against a supercharged Mars Rover

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So basically the moon rover stuff from Gran Turismo 6 but as its own game and not ridiculously frustrating?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
But why would i play that when i could play kerbal space program instead and have the pleasure of designing my own rover and EDL vehicle? Another idea would be "Forza Time Trial", nothing but point to point races. It could include everything from themed stage rally to Dakar-style off road racing to a licenced WRC rally mode. I'd love to take a honda prelude or Ford F-100 and make it into the goofy rally car i've always wanted.

njsykora posted:

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Forza Watersports

Obvious joke aside this is now the game I want more than anything else in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qUPtNKicAs

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 2, 2016

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

So basically the moon rover stuff from Gran Turismo 6 but as its own game and not ridiculously frustrating?

Funny you managed to describe GT6 in a nutshell with those las two words.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
The post was a joke, but I wouldn't mind seeing T10 loosen up a bit with FH. Like Mattd1zzl3 said, I don't want it to be CRASHBROS the video game or take any thunder from something like Burnout, but FH is supposed to be the playground/open-world game it's been a bit too button-down for me.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Bad news. Turn 10 told me we almost certainly won't get any more Porsches as future DLC. :(

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Racing boats are basically the coolest things in the world.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

drgitlin posted:

Bad news. Turn 10 told me we almost certainly won't get any more Porsches as future DLC. :(
In FM6, or for the rest of their games going forward? If it's the latter, is it because the sales numbers on the DLC are too poor to support the licensing fee?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

In FM6, or for the rest of their games going forward? If it's the latter, is it because the sales numbers on the DLC are too poor to support the licensing fee?

That or what is license-able to T10 is dependent on other licensing agreements involving Porsche to the likes of EA.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

I'm sure he means in FM6. T10 can't possibly mean all games going forward forever since whatever deal Porsche has with EA has an expiration.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I assumed that meant "EA lost its exclusivity and pors-sha will be in future games from the launch. (But they will make you pay for a ferrari pack or something for $40)

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

FM6. I am pretty sure when I was at Turn 10 last year they said the EA license expires this year or next.

Edit - checked my piece from last year and it says 2016, so we'll see what happens. I might ask Porsche if they can find the answer for me.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 2, 2016

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Has there ever been additional Porsche material in DLC on any of the games that have had to have the late-season add-in separate pack specifically for Porsche?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

robotsinmyhead posted:

The post was a joke, but I wouldn't mind seeing T10 loosen up a bit with FH. Like Mattd1zzl3 said, I don't want it to be CRASHBROS the video game or take any thunder from something like Burnout, but FH is supposed to be the playground/open-world game it's been a bit too button-down for me.

FH3 needs to bring back those multiplayer free roam challenges from the first game. Those were awesome.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I actually wanted it to get more button down and less fun. I hate fun.

Bring on the licenses and oil changes :-)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I just remember thinking FH was a step back from what (I thought) Forza was about. Open-world driving with Forza physics and all that sounded great.
But I spent so much time spergin' about clean laps and staying within the lines in FM that getting rewarded for destruction of off-road fences and stuff seemed wrong. I mean, I can already get that in NFS or whatever. I wanted to see a better balance that rewarded better driving and less sloppiness. I'm not salty about it, though; I do understand the appeal of just hooning around and the game itself is solid, pretty, and polished.

I did love the skill chains of going fast, close passes, clean driving, catching air, stuff like that. Too bad a 3500+ skill chain netted you like 15 XP or whatever. FH2 was such a great improvement on FH1, though. I just wish that you could race the finale more than twice.

I'm really interested to see what they do with FH3.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Plus, the physics in the FH games was a gimped version of the FM physics anyway. It was simplified and the cars don't drive the same. It's way easier to recover from slides and drift in the Horizon games than it is in the FM4 games.

I think I read somewhere that for FH1 all they did was increase the default grip of the tires a few levels (like stock tires would have the grip of race tires), and when hacking the xbox 360 with a jtag they were able to just decrease the grip levels to what they would have been in FM4 and suddenly the cars drove just like in FM4. They did more than that for 5 though because they made drifting super easy. It's like there's always some stability management going on.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I actually wanted it to get more button down and less fun. I hate fun.

Bring on the licenses and oil changes :-)

Ummm. That sounds like fun

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Norns posted:

Ummm. That sounds like fun
Don't forget the car washes.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I forgot to mention budgeting your racing team and sponsorship negotiations

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Also replace all the cars with trains. Autism: satisfied.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Dr. Faustus posted:

Don't forget the car washes.

Only if we get the animation

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

MattD1zzl3 posted:

So hard right now

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I heard they hired the creative director from Madden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

geeves posted:

I heard they hired the creative director from Madden.

That just means they plan to take features out of the game then add them back in five years later as gameplay improvements.

• Locked thread