Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Stoca Zola posted:

Ahh that's awesome! Here's what Amazon is quoting me:
Price: $23.70 + $7.11 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to Australia

I honestly don't think you'll be able to beat Amazon's global shipping rates, that's ridiculously cheap. Locally, I couldn't get a parcel from here to the next town over for seven bucks. TwoFlower might want it though, domestic shipping will probably be easier to arrange. I've noticed that one of the LEDs in my stock fluval light has started to go weird, dim and yellow, pretty sure it's going to burn out soon and some of the others are noticably dim vs the others so I'm pretty keen to get a replacement before it's too late. Thanks again though for checking that for me!

Glad I could help!

TwoFlower, PM me if you want the light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Anyone have a suggestion or good experience on a good quiet filter for a 12 gallon (canister or sidewinder)? I have 12-gallon 'widescreen' that I love the shape and size of, but the stock filter is complete poo poo and couldn't manage a bioload of 4 1-inch Juvi Cories with plants.

side note - the plants and Cories were upgraded to a 36 gallon w/ Fluval 306 filter. Planted with Amazon Compacta, Anubias Nana, and grass on top of ADA Amazonia. I'd love to hear suggestions of stocking for middle / top fish over a peppered Cory school =p. This is what I'm working with (1st day in)

edit: oh yeah - any recent good reviews on an apartment rodi system for ~50 gallons in house?

A large farva fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 20, 2016

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

If you like your 306, and I like my 206 (which I do), why not get a fluval 106?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Will crabs get along with shrimp and plants? I'm trying to find something for a 10 gallon tank that will eat the left over pellets/flakes that my fish miss and end up on the substrate.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

You could also consider not over feeding your fish. There are snails you can get that will eat food from the substrate and won't have a population explosion although I don't know anything about good snails only "bad" ones. The theory is either get a snail that can't breed in fresh water, that puts its eggs somewhere easy to remove, or a single snail from a species that has males and females and thus can't breed without both. Not sure if assassin snails ignore plants and focus on left over food once they've eaten all the other snails. You can also get fish that will check the bottom for food but actually now that I think of it those kind of fish would probably eat your shrimp. Off the top of my head a small fish that seems to ignore my remaining shrimp and eat from any level in the tank is my male wild guppies. They're a lot smaller than the females so smaller mouths also. What fish do you have that will only eat from the surface/water column? If they aren't eating from the bottom as well maybe they just aren't that hungry. I'd be wary of crabs getting nippy with sleeping fish but not sure if that's how it works. Republicant do you have your crabs in with fish? Are they polite or rowdy?

Pond update: after a trial week with five juvenile guppies, all guppies are still alive and ignoring food added to the pond so I am assuming well fed on mosquito larvae. I noticed three rosy barb fry following the guppies around, seriously I only emptied the pond out three or four weeks ago. Seems like it's just a healthier place for eggs to survive and baby fish to grow most likely due to the lack of adult fish but also sunlight+algae+infusoria must be doing them a lot of good. I've also seen some truly ugly insect larvae living in my pond filter, big black tapered maggots that I thought might have been leeches until I saw the breathing tube on their tail ends. They seem to be eating the algae off the top layer of the filter which is fine by me. I'm happy with anything non parasitic living in my ponds, I don't care how ugly it is if it's alive and healthy.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

When it comes to water changes how important is it to get my vacuum on the gravel to get any sediment deposits?

I'm asking because my tank is heavily planted and there is not a lot of open spaces to get my vacuum in contact with the gravel.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I've heard arguments for and against giving the gravel a good stir when you vacuum. If you have not many plants and big gravel and you're over feeding or you have fish who are messy lazy eaters then you need to get that muck out and give the gravel a good deep suck otherwise it will sit there rotting and fouling your water. If you have smaller diameter, deeper gravel (or sand) which is planted, it doesn't hurt to let fish poop settle and become nutrients for the plants and sucking it out and disturbing the gravel wrecks the environment that forms in the gravel. I've read that excess food and rotting leaves are bad, but fish and snail poop are already digested and don't pollute the water much if you let them settle in the gravel. Mostly a water change is about removing the products of ammonia wastes from the fish so skimming any obvious piles of uneaten food is good enough and you are much better off not disturbing your plants. Source: I am paraphrasing stuff I have read on wet web media.

If you aren't measuring dangerous levels of nitrate every time before you water change you're probably doing it right. Don't worry about fixing what isn't broken.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007
I got a 65 Litre Interpet Aquaverse Glass Aquarium Fish Tank for my wife's birthday on Sunday. She's been talking about keeping fish for a while and this seems a reasonable place to start. I'm excited to get some fish in there!

I've read about cycling, but I'm wondering should you add plants before or after cycling?

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Stoca Zola posted:

Not sure if assassin snails ignore plants and focus on left over food once they've eaten all the other snails.

I got a handful of assassin snails to eliminate the pest snails in my planted tank. They ate the last of them about 6 months ago, started breeding like crazy (started with 6, now probably have 50 or 60) and live off of leftover flakes and algae wafers my plecos don't finish. Haven't touched my plants.

Kinda nice not having to worry about feeding just the right amount, and I figure the snail population will balance itself based on how much leftovers there are.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Heisenberg1276 posted:

I got a 65 Litre Interpet Aquaverse Glass Aquarium Fish Tank for my wife's birthday on Sunday. She's been talking about keeping fish for a while and this seems a reasonable place to start. I'm excited to get some fish in there!

I've read about cycling, but I'm wondering should you add plants before or after cycling?

I've had no problems putting plants in before cycling the tank.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Mr. Despair posted:

I did the same thing. If anything the plants thrive on all of that waste so as long as you have enough light they are happy.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Wow, the recommended stocking levels on the instructions with that tank look super optimistic. There is no way three goldfish should be in a 65lt tank. It's a bit small for the recommended Pleco and gourami too I think. I've not had problems with having plants in at the start of a tank cycle, I'm not sure if it has any impact on how long it takes for the filter bacteria to establish. Beyond my first tank, I've always used old tank change water, transferred some established filter media and added a little fish food to cycle the new tanks. It doesn't really matter how you do it as long as you monitor what's happening and don't add fish until the tank can definitely process the ammonia.

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016

Heisenberg1276 posted:

You can add plants straight away no problem.If you're a beginner to planted tanks ID recommend crypts anubias and Java fern.They are all pretty lowlight plants and do well under most conditions just remember not to bury the rhizone on Javas and anubias or they'll die.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

Rallos posted:

I did the same thing. If anything the plants thrive on all of that waste so as long as you have enough light they are happy.

Lord Kinbote posted:

You can add plants straight away no problem.If you're a beginner to planted tanks ID recommend crypts anubias and Java fern.They are all pretty lowlight plants and do well under most conditions just remember not to bury the rhizone on Javas and anubias or they'll die.

Thanks :) We're going to get started today. I'll post photos when we have something to look at. Exciting!

Stoca Zola posted:

Wow, the recommended stocking levels on the instructions with that tank look super optimistic. There is no way three goldfish should be in a 65lt tank. It's a bit small for the recommended Pleco and gourami too I think. I've not had problems with having plants in at the start of a tank cycle, I'm not sure if it has any impact on how long it takes for the filter bacteria to establish. Beyond my first tank, I've always used old tank change water, transferred some established filter media and added a little fish food to cycle the new tanks. It doesn't really matter how you do it as long as you monitor what's happening and don't add fish until the tank can definitely process the ammonia.

Yeah I assumed the stocking guides were optimistic!

There's still plenty of time before we start stocking - but what sort of levels would you recommend?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I use seriouslyfish.com's database for an idea of how much room a fish needs, info on food, behaviour and compatibility with other fish and I use aqadvisor.com for an idea of how many of a particular fish will fit in a tank of a given size/whether the filter can handle it/comparison of requirements between species. You get a bit more leeway filtration-wise in a planted tank because it adds to the biofiltration (although, its hard to quantify exactly how much extra filtration plants will add so don't exceed aqadvisor numbers by too much if you can help it). Aqadvisor tends to be a bit conservative but that's fine, you want to leave room for your fish to grow. Most fish shops don't sell adult-sized fish!

For example, checking Dwarf Gourami on Seriously Fish, you could fit one or a pair in 65 lt tank. The compatibility section recommends small barbs or rasboras as companions so head over to aqadvisor, put your tank details in and add some fish. Looks like 2 dwarf gourami, 8 harlequin rasboras, and 6 sterba cories would just about fill the tank right up. Or maybe the gouramis, 5 kuhli loaches and 8 dwarf rasboras are more to your liking. If you have a gravelly substrate maybe skip the cories and loaches, you could try 10 shrimp instead. There's a button which will filter the list to only show fish that will fit in the tank you have entered, so this can be useful if you don't know much about fish, to get some names to do further googling and research. Juggle it around, research your chosen fish, see what's available locally, what fits and what's compatible. I don't know whether you actually said you wanted gourami or if that was someone else! They just seemed like a good idea for an example. When stocking a tank you don't want to add too many new fish at once because the filter might not keep up, but you are better off buying all of one kind of fish at once - this will mean less stress for the social fish and less chance of illness.

If you haven't got a quarantine tank it might be handy to steer clear of catfish, loaches and shrimps until your tank has proven itself to be disease free and healthy. They're sensitive to medication and won't do well if you have to deal with an outbreak among your new fish. Give it a few months to let things settle down.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

Stoca Zola posted:

I use seriouslyfish.com's database for an idea of how much room a fish needs, info on food, behaviour and compatibility with other fish and I use aqadvisor.com for an idea of how many of a particular fish will fit in a tank of a given size/whether the filter can handle it/comparison of requirements between species. You get a bit more leeway filtration-wise in a planted tank because it adds to the biofiltration (although, its hard to quantify exactly how much extra filtration plants will add so don't exceed aqadvisor numbers by too much if you can help it). Aqadvisor tends to be a bit conservative but that's fine, you want to leave room for your fish to grow. Most fish shops don't sell adult-sized fish!

For example, checking Dwarf Gourami on Seriously Fish, you could fit one or a pair in 65 lt tank. The compatibility section recommends small barbs or rasboras as companions so head over to aqadvisor, put your tank details in and add some fish. Looks like 2 dwarf gourami, 8 harlequin rasboras, and 6 sterba cories would just about fill the tank right up. Or maybe the gouramis, 5 kuhli loaches and 8 dwarf rasboras are more to your liking. If you have a gravelly substrate maybe skip the cories and loaches, you could try 10 shrimp instead. There's a button which will filter the list to only show fish that will fit in the tank you have entered, so this can be useful if you don't know much about fish, to get some names to do further googling and research. Juggle it around, research your chosen fish, see what's available locally, what fits and what's compatible. I don't know whether you actually said you wanted gourami or if that was someone else! They just seemed like a good idea for an example. When stocking a tank you don't want to add too many new fish at once because the filter might not keep up, but you are better off buying all of one kind of fish at once - this will mean less stress for the social fish and less chance of illness.

If you haven't got a quarantine tank it might be handy to steer clear of catfish, loaches and shrimps until your tank has proven itself to be disease free and healthy. They're sensitive to medication and won't do well if you have to deal with an outbreak among your new fish. Give it a few months to let things settle down.

Thanks for this it's really helpful!

Today we picked up some crypts and anubias, substrate and gravel - and set up the tank.

Very impatient to get the thing cycled so I can see some fish swimming around! I'm going to do some research using those two sites so I'm prepared when it's ready.

I did just do some water tests and found that the KH was the furthest the chart goes (240 ppm) and the GH was also the furthest the chart goes (180). PH was 7.5, and no Nitrate or Nitrite.

What is the recommended course of action for the hard water?

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Heisenberg1276 posted:

Thanks for this it's really helpful!

Today we picked up some crypts and anubias, substrate and gravel - and set up the tank.

Very impatient to get the thing cycled so I can see some fish swimming around! I'm going to do some research using those two sites so I'm prepared when it's ready.

I did just do some water tests and found that the KH was the furthest the chart goes (240 ppm) and the GH was also the furthest the chart goes (180). PH was 7.5, and no Nitrate or Nitrite.

What is the recommended course of action for the hard water?

Get fish that are suited to it. Far easier than trying to remove it, and any fish you get locally are going to be in water of a similar sort.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Photobomb time! Picked up quite a few fish from my LFS that is closing down, and they are all chilling in a few QT tanks for now. Also had to get some photos of my frontosa tank with their latest batch of fry.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

I'm moving in a few days, and haven't moved a fish tank before. It's just a few miles down the road, but anything in specific I should make sure to do so everyone makes it healthy and happy?

I'm planning on putting the fish and plants in buckets with some current tank water. Taking out decorations and substrate, giving them a good rinse (haven't vaccumed in a few weeks), then draining the rest of the tank and moving everything over.

How should I reacclimate the fish once the tank is back up? Same city water source, but I've only done 10-15% water changes previously, not basically 80%+

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Fejsze posted:

I'm moving in a few days, and haven't moved a fish tank before. It's just a few miles down the road, but anything in specific I should make sure to do so everyone makes it healthy and happy?

I'm planning on putting the fish and plants in buckets with some current tank water. Taking out decorations and substrate, giving them a good rinse (haven't vaccumed in a few weeks), then draining the rest of the tank and moving everything over.

How should I reacclimate the fish once the tank is back up? Same city water source, but I've only done 10-15% water changes previously, not basically 80%+

If you have a lowes/homedepot type store near you you can probably buy 5 gallon buckets for dirt cheap, that are made to hold paint. They worked great for when I moved my fish tank, put teh gravel in one or two with enough water to keep em happy, fish and plants and stuff in another.

How big is the tank?

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Depending on the size of the tank you could just leave the gravel and filter media in the bottom of the tank with a few inches of water to keep it moist. I've done that with up to 20 gallon tanks before. Make sure you keep your filter media wet too. Don't want to cause a cycle if you let it dry out and kill all the bacteria.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Mr. Despair posted:

If you have a lowes/homedepot type store near you you can probably buy 5 gallon buckets for dirt cheap, that are made to hold paint. They worked great for when I moved my fish tank, put teh gravel in one or two with enough water to keep em happy, fish and plants and stuff in another.

How big is the tank?

20 gallon, nothing too big. I'll swing by and get some buckets, would make doing water changes a lot easier than how I currently do it 3-4 trips with a stew pot...

Rallos posted:

Depending on the size of the tank you could just leave the gravel and filter media in the bottom of the tank with a few inches of water to keep it moist. I've done that with up to 20 gallon tanks before. Make sure you keep your filter media wet too. Don't want to cause a cycle if you let it dry out and kill all the bacteria.

oh, that would make things a lot easier. I didn't know about moving the tank with anything left in it and stress/break the tank. Also good catch on the filter media, didn't think about that.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Fejsze posted:

20 gallon, nothing too big. I'll swing by and get some buckets, would make doing water changes a lot easier than how I currently do it 3-4 trips with a stew pot...

oh, that would make things a lot easier. I didn't know about moving the tank with anything left in it and stress/break the tank. Also good catch on the filter media, didn't think about that.

Just be gentle with it and make sure to put it on a flat surface in the car for transport and you should be alright.

Also: I'm just going to leave this here...

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Posted my frontosa pics in a FB group, and now a lady wants to buy my juvies. I know I need to sell them eventually, but they are super cute and I really don't want to. :cry:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Can anyone use a Coralife 6700k 65watt 21" straight pin bulb? New in box, you pay shipping.

skrapp mettle
Mar 17, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

Can anyone use a Coralife 6700k 65watt 21" straight pin bulb? New in box, you pay shipping.

PM sent

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Rallos posted:

Just be gentle with it and make sure to put it on a flat surface in the car for transport and you should be alright.

Also: I'm just going to leave this here...

That's what I use. The python is a life saver.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Zebra Nerite and Black Devil Spike Snail hanging out at the powerhead like all the cool inverts do.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Desert Bus posting about snails. Good post/content combo :)

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

CrazyLittle posted:

Desert Bus posting about snails. Good post/content combo :)

And the thread title "Come admire our runaway snail infestations!" is partially my fault since I've sold Malaysian Trumpet Snails to quite a few goons. I gave fair warning. Snails are awesome. I'm kinda confused as to what connection there is between me, as Desert Bus and snails though.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Very long and tedious game. Uneventful to play, and even more uneventful to watch... like snails.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

CrazyLittle posted:

Very long and tedious game. Uneventful to play, and even more uneventful to watch... like snails.

Earlier in the thread I showed a snail giving a ride to a Stick Fish (Farlowella gracilis)! That was eventful:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554965&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=137#post456044160

In the game Desert Bus you see a bird on the ride back! That is pretty eventful after like 6 hours of boredom.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I like watching snails. Its very peaceful. :3:

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016
Some shots of my aquarium,sorry for potato quality.

My pair of apistos

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

You should resize that first pic by putting it in [timg] [/timg] tags. Very cool tank though, I love apistos and candy cane tetras are my favorites. I've got a good sized school of them myself.

peach moonshine
Jan 18, 2015
I'm brand new to aquariums. Recently, I set up a 5g Fluval Chi with two plants. It has been running for one week.

I tested the water for the first time yesterday and found that the pH level was high - 8.6. I'm wondering if this is because the rocks I put in the aquarium are limestone. I did the white vinegar test when I cleaned the rocks, and I didn't see any fizzling or foaming. But I Googled pictures of limestone, and it does look like the rocks I put in the aquarium are limestone.

So, how does this work? If I take out the rocks, will the pH go down on its own? How long should I wait before I test the water again?

Don't worry, I'm not going to add fish any time soon - need to figure out how to deal with plants, rocks and water first.

I'll also mention that I know the light and filter that come with the Fluval Chi are no good. I've already ordered a new light, so I'll have that soon.

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016

Enos Cabell posted:

You should resize that first pic by putting it in [timg] [/timg] tags. Very cool tank though, I love apistos and candy cane tetras are my favorites. I've got a good sized school of them myself.

Thanks.yeah I just noticed that but its only showing timg when I quote,when I edit its just IMG,any way to fix this.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

peach moonshine posted:

I tested the water for the first time yesterday and found that the pH level was high - 8.6. I'm wondering if this is because the rocks I put in the aquarium are limestone. I did the white vinegar test when I cleaned the rocks, and I didn't see any fizzling or foaming. But I Googled pictures of limestone, and it does look like the rocks I put in the aquarium are limestone.
Don't forget to test your source water too! Your source water might have dissolved lime or other chemical treatments to raise the pH, as an example my local tap water is often 10+. If you can rule out your source water then it might be worth doing a bucket test with your rock - stick it in a bucket with water of a known starting pH for a week or longer, then test again. Over time, standing water will lose pH I believe, as dissolved gases slowly dissipate, so if the pH goes up in your bucket you know the rock is to blame.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, depending on the needs of the livestock you intend to put in the tank. Some fish like and need hard alkaline water.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Lord Kinbote posted:

Thanks.yeah I just noticed that but its only showing timg when I quote,when I edit its just IMG,any way to fix this.

Well if you click at the front of where it says IMG, and then press the t key on your keyboard, it will change it from an IMG tag to a timg tag!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peach moonshine
Jan 18, 2015

Stoca Zola posted:

Don't forget to test your source water too! Your source water might have dissolved lime or other chemical treatments to raise the pH, as an example my local tap water is often 10+. If you can rule out your source water then it might be worth doing a bucket test with your rock - stick it in a bucket with water of a known starting pH for a week or longer, then test again. Over time, standing water will lose pH I believe, as dissolved gases slowly dissipate, so if the pH goes up in your bucket you know the rock is to blame.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, depending on the needs of the livestock you intend to put in the tank. Some fish like and need hard alkaline water.

I'll do more testing, then. Thanks.