Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

MeLKoR posted:

I've had fun with the series but agree that it's fizzling out. Still I loved the part when the main character realized that we are the baddies. It's Starship Troopers that becomes self-aware halfway through.

That payoff is totally worth it, though I still never bothered to read the 4th book in the series (skipped it and read short story and then the final book). There's not many books like Old Man's War that just come out of no-where and make such a strong impression. The only other one I can think of is Ancillary Justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

A Neurotic Jew posted:

that Cutlass line at the end is quite a doozy.

We listened so much to the complains of the people that bought the Cutclass that we decided to make another ship with the characteristics we had originally used as selling points for the Cutlass but then removed.

Motherfucker they don't want another ship, they want the ship they paid for.

e: f;b

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ZenMaster posted:

30 yard dumpster

but enough about ben,

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Chalks posted:

There's a fairly big issue with this approach in that it's very difficult to design a game around group play only without a whole load of facilities to allow drop-in drop-out and anti-griefing tech.

Sure, for someone with the right number of friends to crew their ship who happen to want to play at the same time that they do, it's fine. But if you require 4 guys to fly your ship and you're just a normal player logging in for the first time, finding a bunch of strangers willing and competent to not only crew your ship, but essentially follow you around facilitating what ever it is you feel like doing at the time is going to be a nightmare.

This seems reasonably easy to resolve through the use of NPC crew members, but then you have the weird situation where you either have to intentionally gimp the crew members ability to perform their role, or accept that you're undermining the concept of needing a human crew and 90% of your players will fly one ship each.

I'm not certain that would be a bad thing, but the alternative approach of having single crew ships and larger multi crew ones for people who want that also seems to work here.

I think one possible solution is to provide more jobs than there are players. For example a typical starship might need a pilot, tactical coordinator (to assign targets and handle sensors), weapons officer (to control turrets and ordnance), engineer (shields and power distribution), possibly an electronics warfare guy (to handle hacking the enemy and disrupting systems), and drone pilots. Now much of that could be handled by either NPCs or outright AI, but if you make the gameplay diverse enough to be interesting then players will be more likely to want to play together. I wouldn't worry so much about "needing" a human crew, and if my players are all having fun being the pilots of their own starship then so be it. The question then becomes what is the benefit of each approach, and do we want to encourage those approaches. To put it in SC terms, what is the difference between six players hanging out on one Constellation versus six players on six Constellations and NPC crew. Obviously the latter is more powerful from a combat perspective, but what are the consequences and how does the game address the disparity? Is the reward for those ships going to be worth it? Perhaps there are diminishing returns for bringing that many guns to a fight or a mining job. It requires a holistic approach and understanding, and a cohesive design and intent done before you get too far into the game.

Gerblyn posted:

You look like you're doing okay to me!

To make the FPS part work, I think you'd need to say "If a player wants to do engineering stuff, they need to walk to engineering, if they want to control a drone, they need to walk to the Drone Control room". This would encourage players to move around the ship, and mean that boarders could do some real disruption of ship operations by interfering with crew members abilities to switch roles. It would also force the Captain player to be more careful about considering which player was assigned to which role, since it would take time for them to go to their new assignment.

Fair point, and I could see that making sense although I'm not sure how well that works with the idea of everything being wireless and internal to the ship. I would be more inclined to allow players to have ultimate freedom when changing between roles (Oh poo poo John bought it, somebody jump in that repair drone!) and instead make boarding be about limiting capabilities. For example players could decide to control the ship from a well armored and protected room, but that would mean leaving engineering, drone control, and sensors undefended. My goal with the design was to minimize player "downtime" as much as possible, and I consider walking down corridors to be part of that. One thing that could balance it is if players had the ability to disrupt internal communications (could be part of electronic warfare), and the ease at which communication is disrupted depends on your location. If you're controlling a drone far outside of Drone Control then your connection could be severed by a hack attack, but if you're physically inside Drone Control then your link would be much more secure.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

In the last 500 years, the Fourth Stimpire has dominated four systems, which it has united into one starzone, Stimsis. The Fourth Stimpire has origins from the Ten Empire War in which 10 of the United Stimpires revolted against each rules. All empires except for the fourth swore freedom upon their citizens. There is no free speech in the Fourth Stimpire, and all self-controlled transportation has been made illegal without undergoing immersive medical verification methods, in which arteries are severed without immersion resistant, operated entirely by machines. The way they work claim to be the most hygenic and healthy way possible, but these machines often rub against immersion points, causing great deals of immersion to patients. The heart is then extracted from the body and placed into a glass grinding machine. Various energy centers are also dissected and replaced with dangerous transplants. After the immersive, 52 hour surgical procedure, patients will then have to use a fused guidance tool, which pumps immersive resistors into the body every 2 hours. The immersion they have caused is so bad, the victim would freeze in a tense position. They would then collapse afterwards.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

A Neurotic Jew posted:

that Cutlass line at the end is quite a doozy.

Wow, couldn't have written it better myself

"Yeah we sold you this maneuverable ship and you got one that handles like poo poo. How about you pay us for another maneuverable ship?"

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sillybones posted:

EightAce is full of poo poo and trolling you all.

Then he's better at guesstimating than a carnival fortune telling gypsy.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beet Wagon posted:

In the last 500 years, the Fourth Stimpire has dominated four systems, which it has united into one starzone, Stimsis. The Fourth Stimpire has origins from the Ten Empire War in which 10 of the United Stimpires revolted against each rules. All empires except for the fourth swore freedom upon their citizens. There is no free speech in the Fourth Stimpire, and all self-controlled transportation has been made illegal without undergoing immersive medical verification methods, in which arteries are severed without immersion resistant, operated entirely by machines. The way they work claim to be the most hygenic and healthy way possible, but these machines often rub against immersion points, causing great deals of immersion to patients. The heart is then extracted from the body and placed into a glass grinding machine. Various energy centers are also dissected and replaced with dangerous transplants. After the immersive, 52 hour surgical procedure, patients will then have to use a fused guidance tool, which pumps immersive resistors into the body every 2 hours. The immersion they have caused is so bad, the victim would freeze in a tense position. They would then collapse afterwards.

Did you add "immersion resistant" or is that canon?

Literally the worst possible thing to a commando

e: oh :thejoke:

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Scruffpuff posted:

That makes me think of something - what is it with companies claiming their game is "Triple-A" before they've been released and reviewed? Since when is "Triple-A" a result of money and effort, instead of results? It's reminiscent of Disney's predilection to call all their brand-new films "Classics" as if it's a foregone conclusion.

Actually "triple-A" has only meant budget and never quality. That is why you can have so many "triple-A" games tank so hard or fail so badly. Its only thanks to SC that the meaning has warped into something else, much like "alpha" and P2W, and other things that CR makes up as an excuse.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Samizdata posted:

Old Man's War. But their tech was pretty advanced. The title comes from the fact that lots of old people sign up towards the ends of their lives when they have nothing left. The military makes them a gene-spliced superbody and copies their consciousness into it. And even with the awesome weapons and superbodies, the casualty rates are savage.

The Forever War had the finger laser things if I remember right, I don't actually remember that book having any other military guns other than the Mad Max Earth when he came back the first time. It's been a while though. Would be fun to see CIG try to handle Relativity since they're going for the whole fidelity thing.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Sillybones posted:

EightAce is full of poo poo and trolling you all.

That's very possible, I just don't think it matters.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Star Citizen: The Immersion They Have Caused Is So Bad The Victim Would Freeze In A Tense Position

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

A Neurotic Jew posted:

some more Lesnick-Speak for the masses.

Allow me to translate:

Paragraph 1: "We don't care what you say."

Paragraph 2: "We don't care how loud you are when you say it."

Paragraph 3: "We don't care how many of you are saying it."

Paragraph 4: "We don't care about responding to you about it."

Paragraph 5: "Actually I'm terrified about loving up every time I talk to you."

Paragraph 6: "In closing, gently caress you."

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Just a reminder to everyone lurking this thread who's still in the hole for $x on some jpegs: it's not too late to get a chargeback. However that window, like the refund window of yesteryear, may be closing too.

Factoring in everything I'm guessing their cost is around 168k/day. Eightace maybe you can confirm that even though they may have more money than we suspect,

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

his nibs posted:

as entertaining as it is, why would an employee risk his/her job by posting work stuff on a comedy forum? that's what beats me :shrug:

being pissed off at your superiors and knowing you can't do anything about it tends to lead about you venting it elsewhere.

being able to say stuff on an comedy forum and get attention and emptyquotes is fun.

thinking you're smart enough to give the goods while not getting caught is fun.

combine the three and what do you get

which is not to say that johnny eight aces is necessarily legit, just that "but you could get fired :ohdear:" shouldn't be proof one way or the other

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

being pissed off at your superiors and knowing you can't do anything about it tends to lead about you venting it elsewhere.

being able to say stuff on an comedy forum and get attention and emptyquotes is fun.

which is not to say that johnny eight aces is necessarily legit, just that "but you could get fired :ohdear:" shouldn't be proof one way or the other

If I were EightAce and actually a CIG employee I would subtly drop counterintelligence in every post that either points to someone else or is inconsistent. Things like never having met Lando, Ben smelling good, etc.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Didn't beer & DSmart vouch for him? If so he is probably fine

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Yeah, I'm inclined to believe the fellow.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Eonwe posted:

I want to believe.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

EightAce posted:

Initially when Chris pitched all this he got some space ship meshes and then had a small team re texture and topologise them to look cool. he then bought an off the shelf engine (At the time a seat of the cry engine cost a small fortune for full spec) Then he produced some very brief flashes of those ships moving around with no levels of detail in them, spergs came in their pants. The cry engine is designed to move character models around the environment to this day that is why the ships themselves feel like Characters and not ships.
He then interspersed lots of pre rendered footage and marketing with absolutely no consideration for things like vert counts, texture budgets, animation ,joints VFX etc etc.
Very early on in development it was realized that cry engine was not the way to go ; so what happened. Get a more suitable engine? Try and use something like Unity or UR4? No .........
His minions had obviously failed the Stimporer so he simply raped and pillaged Crytech. When those guys came on board they were ordered to make everything work properly to realize the vision. Then came the FPS dream , the Star marine that never really existed and annoys him so much. At this point the brains he had stolen from Crytech had finally got a smooth workflow and decent toolchain going for a modified Cry engine. The Stimporer meanwhile had passed the Star marine game to the Ilfonic guys who were using early iteration of the modified Cryengine. When the two things were expected to seamlessly slot together guess what happened. The existing Cryengine worked as intended with the FPS, the modified one that was and still is a WIP didn't work with the submitted stuff retrospectively.
Thats when the Stimporer lost his poo poo. Add to that the completely broken animation system and the none existent anchor to a spawn point system and voila !! Best drat space sim ever with better than COD or battlefront FPS elements.
To answer your question look at Angels fall first $12 on steam and they have pretty much ripped off any half decent UI off SC. At this point if they were to optimize all the existing assets and start again , with the original pitch using the UR4 engine they could pull off SOME of what was promised ... Remember Chris is trying to make heavy rain in space with seamless No mans sky vehicle access and 3 movies worth of his visionary sci fi story telling

that sadly makes way too much sense.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

BeefThief posted:

If I were EightAce and actually a CIG employee I would subtly drop counterintelligence in every post that either points to someone else or is inconsistent. Things like never having met Lando, Ben smelling good, etc.

Eonwe posted:

fwiw i'm pretty sure 8A is a legit cig employee, i just also think that he lies sometimes both for entertainment and obfuscation purposes

although if we do get the SQ42 script at the end of all this and a ctrl+F for "smart" returns no results i may poo poo myself

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

The tense position is a T-shape.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

smellmycheese posted:

Out of interest - has anyone else ever tried to develop a triple A videogame using internet forums as the roadmap?

Chris Roberts till he got annoyed and turned off the internet. He just didnt realize his funding also went with that.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

He could be ex-cig staff, it's not like the Escapist had trouble finding sources, the recent stuff could be gossip from friends still there. I hope he is throwing in disinformation as well as that should be very effective as a cover.

I do want to hear the "ranch" story though.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Eonwe posted:

Did he?

I don't go through his every post, but from what I see he says things that others have already said and then completely unverifiable stuff that is too good to be true. He is telling you what you want to hear and doing a sort of 'cold reading' letting you fill in the gaps.

Plus, I have never met him around the CIG offices.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yep.

This is his outlet and venue. His mind is probably like a pressure cooker that is ready to burst but is just letting off steam. He could talk about things a lot more, but doing so would incriminate.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Scruffpuff posted:

Nah, Ben will just go back into the world's largest stasis pod awaiting Chris Roberts' next great idea.

or continue archiving Roberts greatest hits again and again and again.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
EightAce makes too much sense to be fake

I mean if I was a disgruntled CIG dev where would I go to vent? This is probably the only place with a knowledgeable and receptive readership, while also offering some anonymity

If someone in the thread is him, they have gone through some hilarious effort to keep up the consistent writing style, local references and whatnot. Not saying it's impossible mind, just hilarious

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Smart did. And he's been on point about pretty specific things.

also it doesn't matter because it still passes the "troll lurking redditors" threshold.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Derek: would you hire former CIG programmers?

They might actually think you're a terrific boss.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jason Sextro posted:

The tense position is a T-shape.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

fwiw i'm pretty sure 8A is a legit cig employee, i just also think that he lies sometimes both for entertainment and obfuscation purposes

although if we do get the SQ42 script at the end of all this and a ctrl+F for "smart" returns no results i may poo poo myself

I'm sure christ roberts didn't manually replace smart. At least I hope he wasn't dumb enough to do that and instead just ctrl+g smart and replace with intelligent.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ravane posted:

I'm sure christ roberts didn't manually replace smart. At least I hope he wasn't dumb enough to do that and instead just ctrl+g smart and replace with intelligent.

he'd probably replace smart with roberts

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ravane posted:

Sir, the enemy fleet has just launched a bunch of smart intelligent bombs!

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0uYnwqlslU

Watch this and see how many times the dev says "no" to features.

At first you are like, "Aw, that stinks..." and then you think

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

I hope its all true - just being a bit of a Colin Cautious

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

AP posted:

He could be ex-cig staff, it's not like the Escapist had trouble finding sources, the recent stuff could be gossip from friends still there. I hope he is throwing in disinformation as well as that should be very effective as a cover.

I do want to hear the "ranch" story though.
A closer reading of what he's stated allows for multiple scenarios besides current CIG employee. Frankly I prefer the ambiguity.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

DOH

ZenMaster fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sillybones posted:

Did he?

I don't go through his every post, but from what I see he says things that others have already said and then completely unverifiable stuff that is too good to be true. He is telling you what you want to hear and doing a sort of 'cold reading' letting you fill in the gaps.

Plus, I have never met him around the CIG offices.

- meeting to discuss how to announce feature cuts (confirmed by Ben in less than 24 hours)
- Star Marine was going to get starmarined (confirmed by CR in less than a week)
- an important person was leaving (Patrick, confirmed in days)
- virtual ship dealership was a new priority to bring in more money (confirmed, work in progress)

There are a couple more I think I'm forgetting.

• Locked thread