Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

City of Tampa posted:

I remember seeing some guitar with like a knockoff Ipad built in, I think it was an Ibanez or some other dirt-rock guitar. you could do bad whammy bar effects by touching the ipad thing

I want a guitar that syncs up to my amp like a Wii-mote and livestreams all my notes to twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Schpyder posted:

Dude just doesn't get it. Let's think about this for just a second. We have a universally-accepted standard with billions of products in use around the world. Whoever's the first mover on a new interconnect standard immediately shuts themselves out of the entire existing ecosystem. Even if the entire industry decides to change at once, that still leaves the entire installed base of basically everything ever made still out there and in use. Instruments aren't like computers, where there's an expected replacement cycle and new tech can become standardized basically through attrition. All the old stuff is still perfectly viable for making music. And there's literally zero reason for anyone to upgrade ALL their gear just for the very minor benefits of a slightly better connector.

if Apple made a guitar they could go to a proprietary connector and everybody would be cool with it

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

City of Tampa posted:

if Apple made a guitar they could go to a proprietary connector and everybody would be cool with it

Apple killing the 1/8th inch headphone jack is a giant leap forward for society as a whole.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
lol at the guy who wants a "digital" electric guitar, do you even know how a pickup works? Vibration of the metal strings in the magnetic field created by the magnets in the pickup creates a difference in potential, doesn't get more analog than that. Even an active pickup isn't digital, it simply includes active (read powered) circuitry (EQ, pre-amp, noise gate, ...) hence the name. You'd have to make everything go through an analog to digital converter which is pretty stupid when most gear is still and will stay analog.

Also lol if you think going digital will stop corksniffers from corksniffing.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

reallivedinosaur posted:

Apple killing the 1/8th inch headphone jack is a giant leap forward for society as a whole.

not if headphones cost like $50 now because they have to be bluetooth

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Gibson made an ethernet cable equipped guitar in 2007. It sucked and was widely mocked, as was the Firebird X follow-up. Honestly though, boomers are still a huge chunk of the market for guitar gear and things aren't changing anytime soon. The telecaster is basically (a few quibbles here and there aside) unchanged from guitars rolling off the line in 1952. Ditto Les Pauls, Rickenbackers etc.

Guitarists are a credulous and cowardly bunch and will be the last remnants clinging to our tube amps in 20 years; every major revolution in the guitar world since the Telecaster (and including it) has been greeted with an en masse cry of "I'm not loving playing that shite!". Hence the colloquial term "Guitards' being used on any majority drummer/keyboardist/bassist forum.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

City of Tampa posted:

not if headphones cost like $50 now because they have to be bluetooth

The corded ones are 35 dollars now and last like a week before the connector frays and falls apart.

http://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MD827ZM/B/apple-earpods-with-remote-and-mic

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dewgy posted:

no no don't you see, it's all cork sniffing you loser, digital is the way of the future

it is and tube amps are on their way to becoming a niche product within the musical instrument industry, the same as reel to reel

that being said in a decade or so we're gonna look back on the current state of the art digital stuff the same way we look at early 2000s cgi in movies now

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
in the future, all solos will have a little flute added

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Wow y'all sure do have some opinions

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

of all the stupid music poo poo, this is the stupid music shittiest

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Dewgy posted:

in the future, all solos will have a little flute added

Jethro Tull future sounds great.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

comes along bort posted:

it is and tube amps are on their way to becoming a niche product within the musical instrument industry, the same as reel to reel

that being said in a decade or so we're gonna look back on the current state of the art digital stuff the same way we look at early 2000s cgi in movies now

I tried playing FFVII for the first time the other week and I just couldn't do it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

KozmoNaut posted:

It's not the benefit of the slightly better connector (although XLR completely shits on jack plugs in every single way), the main benefit of changing the standard would be to make the instrument cable balanced, thus significantly reducing the hum and other noise that is inevitably picked up by the cable from other electrical gear.

I don't give a poo poo if you implement it as an XLR plug or a TRS jack or whatever, just make the drat thing balanced. Every other instrument is balanced nowadays, only guitars are sticking with the stupid unbalanced connections for *REASONS*.

XLR cables are better than 1/4 inch cables because they have a lower noise floor. They don't do anything to reduce hum or noise itself though, so your single coil pickups would still send just as much 60Hz hum from the stage lights to your amp with an XLR cable as it would with a 1/4 inch cable.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GreatGreen posted:

XLR cables are better than 1/4 inch cables because they have a lower noise floor. They don't do anything to reduce hum or noise itself though, so your single coil pickups would still send just as much 60Hz hum from the stage lights to your amp with an XLR cable as it would with a 1/4 inch cable.

That's why you need active pickups instead of the junkyard garbage passive pickups that guitards insist on.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
active pickups are for metal dorks

I kind of like the new noiseless pickups in the American Elite Strat though, i played one at Sam Ash and the whole thing was really nice

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

City of Tampa posted:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

That's why you need active pickups instead of the junkyard garbage passive pickups that guitards insist on.

lol, guitards.

Actives don't sound the same as passives though. I love my guitar with an EMG 81-89 combo but yeah, passive pickups need to stick around.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I like passives much more than actives if i'm playing through a nice amp.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

City of Tampa posted:

and sterile 80s adult contemporary

mark knopfler and david gilmour were the first big name emg endorsees

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

reallivedinosaur posted:

this guy is killing me this is great. I haven't had this much fun since the Faustus glory days

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
The logical thing is to move to hexaphonic pickups with a dedicated 13 pin connector for each, routed into an Autotune stompbox that corrects the pitch of each string based on MIDI data from the bridge's piezo pickup and onboard computer. We can also put in a slot car rail that moves your pickups as you're playing so that they're always in the ~tone zone~ and varies the angle accordingly so that they're always centered in the optimal flux node for any given asymmetrical chord voicing. We can also put in an onboard digital oscilloscope and spectrometer angled up at the player so that they can readily identify any potential deviations from optimal tone parameters.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I can't tell if this would be better if he were playing surf or not.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
Variax guitars from line 6 are actually pretty cool and are selling well and pretty well received. I just want the modelling features and noiseless pickup, but not the automatic tuning, and I want MIDI.

These are pretty cool too and something I might want to try.

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinmultnylonfretlessp.htm

The fact that these exist and have existed for a while hasn't meant that everyone has to go buy new amps and guitars, its just another option out there.

They will make strats and les pauls and tube amps as long as there are still people buying them. Even if they stopped there are enough legacy guitars and amps in the world to last a long, long time.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I gladly await the day i can fix a djentdads tone from the audience by hacking his guitar/amp PAN from my phone and adding some mids.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

field balm posted:

I gladly await the day i can fix a djentdads tone from the audience by hacking his guitar/amp PAN from my phone and adding some mids.

He'll immediately think his amp broke and they'll stop the show.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

In terms of "guitar technology that uses both analogue and digital stuff correctly" I think that the H&K Grandmeister is the right sort of idea. The EQ, chanels, and power scaling are all pre-setable and controllable by midi so you can hook it up to Live, or whatever you're using with it. Looking at the demo videos though, IDK if you're allowed to use it to make music that isn't terrible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zxu6F9xz7g

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

field balm posted:

But the djenttone is all mids. That's how you get that djentscrape with all the harmonics.

Go back to Metallica midscoop old man.

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgRLLqYQh1Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LwOAp_Vezw

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Pretty hard to take the fun out of a washtub bass but metal found a way.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

i am completely sold on making or owning one of these and that's 100% despite the dude playing

like good god man, you suck

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Is that an acutal bass string anyone could ever use, or is that just a length of high-tension line he stole from a nearby telephone pole?

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010
How is it in "Drop E"? Doesn't the "drop" in drop tunings refer to one string being detuned relative to the other strings?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Barnaby Barnacle posted:

How is it in "Drop E"? Doesn't the "drop" in drop tunings refer to one string being detuned relative to the other strings?

tune all the other strings up?

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010

Smash it Smash hit posted:

tune all the other strings up?

I'm referring to the guitar in that video. It only has the one string.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Barnaby Barnacle posted:

oh then i guess maybe its a joke?

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Barnaby Barnacle posted:

He probably means it's an octave below a normally tuned guitar's low E string.

Or maybe to him that's the "key" of the song he's playing. Lot's of guitar players will say things like foo fighters songs are in the key of "drop D", we all learn to play long before we learn any theory (if we ever do at all).

You don't need to go to juliard to play the washtub bass.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Barnaby Barnacle posted:

Then by definition all the other strings are tuned up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
Guy comes around with a guitar I built for him 3 years ago. He's replaced the nice Wilkinson tuners with lovely no-shame grover copies (he also redrilled the headstock with a hand-drill so all the tuners rattle), he's undone the control plate and done a HORRIBLE job re-wiring for.... Some reason.,It's the same layout as what I put in, but with 10 times the solder. He's also managed to lose all the screws and he's replaced them with over-sized wood screws.

I am sad.

• Locked thread