Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Kenning posted:

I'm glad your butt is blooming! That's pretty exciting.

Also, I've still got a blog about my carnivorous plants. I haven't shared it with you guys for a while, so here are some pictures.

Anyway those are the plants.

These are great. A few of those are on my list for next time I'm drunk-ordering more plants that I don't have time for.

All of my CPs are sitting outside dormant and boring right now, so the other day I put together a terrarium for sundews. I've only got seeds in there so far, but I hope to have a nice subtropical collection before too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
What's happening to my majesty palm? I mist top to bottom daily and get the moss wet for humidity, and water every other day. I think those brown tips are from back when I got it (Fall last year) and was still learning how much water it needed. But the spots look new to me.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
How do i grow Datura stramonium from seed?

I have a bunch, probably hundreds of seeds. Never grown D. stramonium before, but i'd like to, it's one of the prettiest plants i know.
I'm intending to sow them indoors, as i live in Scandinavia, hardiness zone 7. They'll should manage outdoors from late spring and onward.

In what kind of soil/soil mixture do i sow them in? What conditions do they require to germinate?

Helpful replies greatly appreciated!

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 3, 2016

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
First post in here. Weed or Tree:

Thing pops up in less that 24 hours and grows more than a metre high after heavy rain. The leaves remind me of a Mango tree but I'm probably wrong. Never seen a plant literally spring up over night. I live in QLD, Australia.

If it's a weed I'll probably kill it.

Mystery Plant:

Mango Tree in my head for comparison:

The leaves are rather large and shoot out as orange before becoming a darker green, no flowers yet, ants seem to love the thing and have also appeared all over it overnight. Some smaller versions of this plant underneath the tree, makes me think some seeds washed in from somewhere, can't seem to find any local weeds that match the picture.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Anidav posted:

Mystery Plant:

Looks a little bit like an avocado
http://theselfsufficientliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Dwarf-Avocado-Tree-500x360.jpg
http://plant.daleysfruit.com.au/ml/avocado-wurtz-a-3823.jpeg

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Anidav posted:

Mystery Plant:

Pretty sure it's a chestnut tree (not sure which species, sorry).

Previous poster suggested an avocado, but avocado leaves aren't serrated like the ones in this photo.

Pogo the Clown fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 8, 2016

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
My cat has acquired a taste for bamboo leaves. I'm a plant noob, are there sprays out there that discourage animals from chewing on them but won't harm the plants themselves?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Anidav posted:

Thing pops up in less that 24 hours and grows more than a metre high after heavy rain. The leaves remind me of a Mango tree but I'm probably wrong. Never seen a plant literally spring up over night. I live in QLD, Australia.

Mystery Plant:

The leaves are rather large and shoot out as orange before becoming a darker green, no flowers yet, ants seem to love the thing and have also appeared all over it overnight. Some smaller versions of this plant underneath the tree, makes me think some seeds washed in from somewhere, can't seem to find any local weeds that match the picture.

That kind of looks like a schefflera, aka an umbrella tree.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Leaves aren't waxy enough for schefflera. :)

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Anidav posted:

Mystery Plant:

I'm not totally convinced by any of the suggested possibilities, and the speed it grows is just crazy so maybe it is a weed. What do the roots look like? If it's shooting out rhizomes I'd get rid of it quick.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Shab posted:

My cat has acquired a taste for bamboo leaves. I'm a plant noob, are there sprays out there that discourage animals from chewing on them but won't harm the plants themselves?

You could try some chili powder. Maybe ask in Pet Island/Heavy Petting?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just get a bitter spray that says it's plant safe.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Shab posted:

My cats scoffed at bitter treatments, so I like to use habanero oil, like the kind you get to deter squirrels (my squirrels laugh at the heat). In order to prevent my cats from chewing on the leaves of a Ponytail Palm of mine, I put on some gloves, soaked a paper towel, then folded it half, rubbing both sides of each leaf. It was painstaking treating each of the leaves, but the cats learn quick and haven't returned for a snack since I did it over a year ago.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I forgot to post this. 2 weeks ago, I discovered that my jade plant had bloomed!... 2 months prior. For those of you who don't know, jade plants are very easy to take care of, but notoriously difficult to get to flower. I wasn't even trying to get it to bloom, hence why I found out it bloomed 2 months later, plus the flowers are small. The only thing I did different was repot it last summer.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I've got what I think is a small Jellybean plant, sedum rubrotinctum i think. Looks like it from googling, but a bit less dense. It's potted in a book, no drainage really. The stems are getting starting up from the base, but the stalks are falling over above the point where the woody part ends. Uh, is something wrong with it, and if so what should I do?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Amoeba102 posted:

I've got what I think is a small Jellybean plant, sedum rubrotinctum i think. Looks like it from googling, but a bit less dense. It's potted in a book, no drainage really. The stems are getting starting up from the base, but the stalks are falling over above the point where the woody part ends. Uh, is something wrong with it, and if so what should I do?

Post a picture. Sedum is a HUGE genus, with many similar plants, including those who naturally flop over, like burro tails and stonecrop.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

kid sinister posted:

Post a picture. Sedum is a HUGE genus, with many similar plants, including those who naturally flop over, like burro tails and stonecrop.

Quick and dirty pic. The brown part of tge stem is hard and stiff. Nothing would have bent it other than it's own weight.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
it's broken/snapped. I'd cut it off where it turns green and push that bit into the soil.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

And give it more sun because it looks pretty etiolated to me,but you'll want to do it gradually and avoid sunburn.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
That plant is rotting from the bottom up due to not having drainage. This is also why the stems are floppy/breaking. Repot in something with drainage and at least 50% inorganic material and give bright sun. Personally, I would pull every leaf and sit them on top of the new soil and let them root themselves.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

kid sinister posted:

I forgot to post this. 2 weeks ago, I discovered that my jade plant had bloomed!... 2 months prior. For those of you who don't know, jade plants are very easy to take care of, but notoriously difficult to get to flower. I wasn't even trying to get it to bloom, hence why I found out it bloomed 2 months later, plus the flowers are small. The only thing I did different was repot it last summer.

It's not hard to flower a jade, it just needs to be in full sun with relatively mild temperatures. People radically under-light their C. ovata because it gets sold as a houseplant, but in a nice sunny location it'll bloom every spring.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
I have weed in my backyard that I'm interested in and was wondering if goons could identify it, or point me to somewhere it could be identified.

I live in the extreme south of texas.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
Prickly Poppy (Argemone albiflora)?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

cloudy posted:

Prickly Poppy (Argemone albiflora)?

I think that's it. Thanks!

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Falukorv posted:

How do i grow Datura stramonium from seed?

I have a bunch, probably hundreds of seeds. Never grown D. stramonium before, but i'd like to, it's one of the prettiest plants i know.
I'm intending to sow them indoors, as i live in Scandinavia, hardiness zone 7. They'll should manage outdoors from late spring and onward.

In what kind of soil/soil mixture do i sow them in? What conditions do they require to germinate?

Helpful replies greatly appreciated!

Update: I went ahead and precultivated my seeds. Soaked the seeds in water for a day, then planted the seeds in the soil, at very shallow depths, as i learned that light encourages germination in this species. Kept the soil moist and in sunlight indoors (and under a fluorescent tube during cloudy days).

Now, one and a half week later, many of them have germinated.

I might have a problem of overcrowding though, i was a bit pessimistic and didn't expect most of them to actually germinate so i put a bunch of seeds maybe to closely spaced.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 21, 2016

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
You can plant them out as soon as they hit their second set of true leaves. Feel free to give any taproots a prune as you do.

ps. Datura poisoning is pretty nasty, so don't let any pets or dumb people in contact with them.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Falukorv posted:

Update: I went ahead and precultivated my seeds. Soaked the seeds in water for a day, then planted the seeds in the soil, at very shallow depths, as i learned that light encourages germination in this species. Kept the soil moist and in sunlight indoors (and under a fluorescent tube during cloudy days).

Now, one and a half week later, many of them have germinated.

I might have a problem of overcrowding though, i was a bit pessimistic and didn't expect most of them to actually germinate so i put a bunch of seeds maybe to closely spaced.

Congratulations! Those seedlings seem pretty good and healthy! You can let them grow some true leaves to see which ones are worth keeping and which ones to thin out. Even if you don't manually thin some out, the seedlings will eventually do so themselves if overcrowding is an issue.

I hope you get to enjoy many blooms soon! :palmon:

SPEAKING OF BLOOMS...

I've been trying to clear out my collection of plant seeds that I've had for a while. If you want any for :siren:FREE:siren:, please make a post in this thread (because God help me if I could remember to check my inbox regularly), and then I can PM you some details.

Here's what seeds I got:

Radish French breakfast
Cosmic purple carrots
Cilantro seeds
Fenugreek seeds
Seeds of a very black chili plant that's very Gothic with black leaves and red chilis
Seeds of a small tree/shrub that grows purple flowers
Small Shrubby red-flowered turks cap plant seeds
Taller red-flowered hibiscus
Small packet of rye grass seeds(??? Wtf?)
Bulbine seeds
Amaranth
Devil's/Angel's trumpet datura seeds in honor of Falukorv's post.
MYSTERY (envelope of goth chili pepper, cilantro, and random beautifully flowering plant) SEEDS.

Please ask for as much as you want, as you'll be helping me out by clearing out some seeds that I'm not going to use. Once again, they're all FREE. Everything must go!

BONUS:Self-addressed envelopes with a stamp already included will get seeds in addition to a watercolor painted doodle drawn by me.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

Feedabee.com is offering to send free seed packets if you sign up. Pretty cool!

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 26, 2016

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Whoa seeds. I would take some of the below!

EagerSleeper posted:

Cilantro seeds
Seeds of a very black chili plant that's very Gothic with black leaves and red chilis

Are the chilis edible, by the way? I love growing me some food plants. I saw a similar chili at the National Arboretum awhile back and have kept an eye out for them ever since.

Wish I had space to grow the radishes and carrots. :(

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

kedo posted:

Whoa seeds. I would take some of the below!

Are the chilis edible, by the way? I love growing me some food plants. I saw a similar chili at the National Arboretum awhile back and have kept an eye out for them ever since.

Wish I had space to grow the radishes and carrots. :(

The chilis are mostly ornamental, so unfortunately I have no idea about their flavor. I'd imagine they'd be incredibly spicy though because when I was harvesting the seeds, I accidentally got a little underneath my nail, and :wtc: it was like having lava stuck there for a week. I think I gave up and dipped my hand in milk. Not too sure whether that says anything good about the spicy level, but yeah. Remove seeds with a spoon instead if you plan on eating goth peppers.

I heard that taproot veggies were easy enough to grow in a large pot though. http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/carrot/container-grown-carrots.htm

I'll be sending you a PM about the address soon.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
heyo, I'm after some recommendations for house plants that will tolerate living indoors - my house has been pretty cold over winter (intentionally!), down below 10C pretty frequently, and there's not much direct sunlight either, but it will get warm in summer. We have a few succulents and cacti which do well, mainly because they're tough as hell as long as they don't freeze. I've also got an open terrarium with a carpet of strawberry saxifrage which also doing really well, but in the same pot I had a fittonia verschaffeltii which I transferred to it's own pot cos it's not doing too well - maybe it's been too cold for it? Regardless it's been getting swamped.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

gender illusionist posted:

heyo, I'm after some recommendations for house plants that will tolerate living indoors - my house has been pretty cold over winter (intentionally!), down below 10C pretty frequently, and there's not much direct sunlight either, but it will get warm in summer. We have a few succulents and cacti which do well, mainly because they're tough as hell as long as they don't freeze. I've also got an open terrarium with a carpet of strawberry saxifrage which also doing really well, but in the same pot I had a fittonia verschaffeltii which I transferred to it's own pot cos it's not doing too well - maybe it's been too cold for it? Regardless it's been getting swamped.

There are actually many plants for indoor climates, but the answer depends in part on whether or not these will be permanently indoors or will spend part of their lives outdoors. A great indoor plant is a small-leafed or weeping ficus; so long as they remain in place and are not subjected to much change, they'll do great (they do need some bright but indirect light, though). Philodendrons can be grown just about anywhere. Parlor palms and variants also can do well indoors, and can be migrated outside during the warm season (not in direct sun, though).

These are plants I winter indoors and move out in the spring when the nights are warmer: parlor palm (Chamaedorea elegans, mine has grown from a tiny 8" plant to a bushy 3' plant in 3 years), ponytail palm (Beaucarnea recurvate; I've had several of these and sold one on Craigslist a couple of years ago when it outgrew its space at 8' tall), oleander (trickier, but it's a nice shrub with wonderfully fragrant blooms), jasmine (ditto re: the oleander), cactus, dracaena, a couple of ficus varieties (Benjamin and pandurate), and a couple of peace lilies (Spathiphyllum).

In my experience, the key to overwintering plants indoors is benign neglect. I water them no more than once per week; I don't overpot them (if the pots are too large, the soil can't dry properly); I don't move them once they are in their winter spot; I don't do any pruning; and I definitely don't repot them.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Vitalis Jackson posted:

There are actually many plants for indoor climates, but the answer depends in part on whether or not these will be permanently indoors or will spend part of their lives outdoors. A great indoor plant is a small-leafed or weeping ficus; so long as they remain in place and are not subjected to much change, they'll do great (they do need some bright but indirect light, though). Philodendrons can be grown just about anywhere. Parlor palms and variants also can do well indoors, and can be migrated outside during the warm season (not in direct sun, though).

These are plants I winter indoors and move out in the spring when the nights are warmer: parlor palm (Chamaedorea elegans, mine has grown from a tiny 8" plant to a bushy 3' plant in 3 years), ponytail palm (Beaucarnea recurvate; I've had several of these and sold one on Craigslist a couple of years ago when it outgrew its space at 8' tall), oleander (trickier, but it's a nice shrub with wonderfully fragrant blooms), jasmine (ditto re: the oleander), cactus, dracaena, a couple of ficus varieties (Benjamin and pandurate), and a couple of peace lilies (Spathiphyllum).

In my experience, the key to overwintering plants indoors is benign neglect. I water them no more than once per week; I don't overpot them (if the pots are too large, the soil can't dry properly); I don't move them once they are in their winter spot; I don't do any pruning; and I definitely don't repot them.

Thanks - I've got a good spot that would look nice with an ornamental fig that could grow up the height of a window. and it'd make a nice change from the succulents and cacti. There's a bonsai specialist near here that I could take a look at too...

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Fun Shoe

hasegawa posted:

I've got an old cactus with some issues. History: I bought this thing when I was a kid, maybe 9 - 10 years old (I am 29 today, so this cactus is definitely pushing 20 years old). My mother took care of it after I lost interest as a kid, and it continued growing in its own weird way. Now that I'm gaining an interest in plants as an adult, I re-adopted the cactus from Mom to see what I can do for it.

This thing has always had the scarring around the base, and over the past decade or so it grew attained the bizarro bulbous shape you see today (guessing it was pot bound when it was younger, or some other stress caused the scarring). But, I'm actually interested in the white stuff on top. I suspect this plant is sick with something.

The entire album is here:
http://imgur.com/a/9TVcC

The white stuff on top is powdery, and I can brush it off with a Q-tip.

Here, you can sort of see it running down the grooves at the sides

A few years back, this cactus started growing a new cactus on the side. It too, has the white stuff on its crown:

Some of the white stuff is in the form of...pillars or towers. I initially thought the cactus was trying to grow more escape pods, but these things actually fall off. Maybe they're pillars of disease bugs or something?

This cactus has had several problems...it was pot-bound for the longest time, and I'm pretty sure my mom was over-watering it (once or twice a week), which would explain the green soil it had when I rescued it. The plant seemed to be doing ok though, because it even started flowing within the past couple of years. But now, the white stuff seems to be spreading, and I don't know what it is. I thought it might be mealybugs or something, so I've doused this cactus with ortho garden pesticide a few times, but the white stuff is still here.

Anybody have any clues what is wrong with this janky-rear end cactus?

Honestly, I think you're fine. A clue to cactus success lies in its endurance over the twenty years at your mom's house. That white stuff on top looks to me like basic cactus stuff--modified spines, often seen on the tops of cacti like yours. Let it dry well between waterings, and try not to fuss over it and it will be fine. Oh, and put it in a bright spot and leave it there.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Fun Shoe
Welp, now I have a question of my own. In the marginal areas of my lawn and in a few mulched areas I am plagued by two specific kinds of weeds--henbit, and speedwell. These are perennials (I think) that grow during the winter, followed by bloom and seed creation in the late winter/spring. This is in the Midwest, so needless to say these are hardy sorts. They are very hard to weed out by pulling, since they tend to snap off at the base of the stem and grow back from roots. I have tried a "Weed-B-Gone" type of broadleaf herbicide with not much success. I did that 2-3 weeks ago, when the daytime highs were in the 50's; it's been cooler and warmer since. Did my herbicide application fail because of the cool temperatures, or are these weeds simply hard to kill?

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
I have had luck with my Maranta, my Aloe and Cacti during the winter. All my herbs died. :(

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

gender illusionist posted:

Oh hey, a nerve plant. I had one of those once. Their broken leaves somehow smell more like lettuce than lettuce does.

I've only met a few people that could kill a ZZ plant or a jade plant. Maybe try those? Maybe try a cast iron plant too.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Speedwell is a perennial, henbit is a (notoriously well-seeding) annual. They're both pretty easy to deal with if you know how to remove them. Hint- you need a digging tool. I usually gather up the plant to identify the base of it but whatever you do DON'T pull it- use a hori-hori (I guess a trowel could work too) to work around the base and scoop the roots out of the ground. Once it's out I find I can shake the soil off the roots pretty easy and they compost well.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Not too sure what size of plant you're looking for, but houseplants that I love are African violets. Very easy to care for so long as you water from the bottom, and lovely flowers. I'm also seconding the maranta love train, because they have pretty leaves and can handle themselves as strongly as my cacti can when it comes to neglect.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Does anyone have a recommended soil mix for blue hydrangeas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Are you growing them potted? Hard to do long-term, but you can get away with it for a season or two. Remember that they're perennial bushes. Pink/blue macrophylla hydrangeas are pH sensitive, so if you want blue blooms, you should supplement with some aluminum. Easiest potting solution is going to be any bagged potting mix cut in half with perlite, for drainage. A majority of bagged mixes do not include enough inorganics for proper drainage.

If growing in ground, you should just be using your native soil and a top with a thick layer of chunky wood mulch. Trying to control hydrangea color with planted hydrangeas is a losing game, in my experience, but you might be lucky and have soil that's conducive to blue blooms.

Do you know which cultivar you bought/received? Dirr wrote a really great book on hydrangeas if you're interested in more of them.