Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
From the Vancouver thread:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Bomb in a car on Beatty street apparently.....

VelociBacon posted:

Found after a traffic stop. Why would you speed or otherwise get yourself pulled over if you had a bomb in your vehicle.

e: http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2016/03/police-shutdown-beatty-street-due-to-possible-explosive-device-reports/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Get melian to defuse it

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

THC posted:

That all sounds fine. What's your problem? Many universities already offer such content.

So Memorial University in Newfoundland needs to start a program when the Beothuk language is extinct? Nobody has spoken that language since 1829.

It's a bullshit requirement. When not all Canadian Universities have reputable Greek or Latin departments, it's one hell of an ask!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Frosted Flake posted:

So Memorial University in Newfoundland needs to start a program when the Beothuk language is extinct? Nobody has spoken that language since 1829.

It's a bullshit requirement. When not all Canadian Universities have reputable Greek or Latin departments, it's one hell of an ask!

Yes, because "In Aboriginal languages" obviously means "In the aboriginal language geographically, if perhaps not temporally closest to the student".

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

That almost certainly won't happen you loving autist. Also who cares. Don't forget you're also apparently mad that the feds will have to fund what are basically support groups for RS survivors, the horror!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

16. We call upon post-secondary institutions to create university and college degree and diploma programs in Aboriginal languages.

What the hell is wrong with this?!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I would argue that the conditions in the healing lodges are often better then that of the reserves where the inmates come from. Their plight really is a stain on the various levels of government in Canada.

quote:

We call upon the federal government to develop a national plan to collect and publish
data on the criminal victimization of Aboriginal people, including data related to
homicide and family violence victimization.

Are you sure? The past findings aren't very positive

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/cj-jp/victim/rd3-rr3/p3.html

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

What the hell is wrong with this?!

It might be a hard sell to the older folks who remember what happened the last time they were taught another language in school.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Cultural Imperial posted:

Superb, not only do we pay for homeopathy and chiropractic, now we gotta pay for medicine men and Dreamcatchers

Don't forget acupuncture - it's important that Canadian anti-science quackery be multicultural.

ed: speeling

Hexigrammus fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 2, 2016

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

flakeloaf posted:

Yes, because "In Aboriginal languages" obviously means "In the aboriginal language geographically, if perhaps not temporally closest to the student".

So then who cares? Nothing has to change. A handful of universities with high Native enrolment teach native languages as special topics in linguistics. U Sask, Winnipeg, etc. There's not enough potential students or teachers to justify this nationally.

Hexigrammus posted:

Don't forget acupuncture - it's important that Canadian anti-science quackery be multicultural.

ed: speeling

Both VAC and CFHS sent me to acupuncture for reasons. I have no idea how this got any traction. I would have preferred more physio or time with my doc. Burning sage and sweating isn't a substitute for radiology.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 2, 2016

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

What CI calls "medicine men and dreamcatchers" is mostly people talking things out and praying and singing, which is what white people also do when a family member is really sick. It's not a big deal.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

THC posted:

What CI calls "medicine men and dreamcatchers" is mostly people talking things out and praying and singing, which is what white people also do without taxpayers funding when a family member is really sick. It's not a big deal.

Fixed

If it's not a big deal, then why should we pay for it?

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 2, 2016

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I'm okay with paying for it. gently caress off Stephen.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

JawKnee posted:

VelociBacon posted:

Found after a traffic stop. Why would you speed or otherwise get yourself pulled over if you had a bomb in your vehicle.

e: http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2016/03/police-shutdown-beatty-street-due-to-possible-explosive-device-reports/

Sorta like this dude in Ottawa

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

So then who cares? Nothing has to change. A handful of universities with high Native enrolment teach native languages as special topics in linguistics. U Sask, Winnipeg, etc. There's not enough potential students or teachers to justify this nationally.

Are words like "nationally" and "dead languages" written in special ink that I need magic glasses to read?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
No white people just demand that the government continue to keep Grandma on life support so she can live the last few years of her life on assistance in a hospital bed.

I can be a strawman too.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Fixed

If it's not a big deal, then why should we pay for it?

Because it's about preservation of their culture and fostering respect with the indigenous peoples we've subjugated for hundreds of years. gently caress off.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

CLAM DOWN posted:

Because it's about preservation of their culture and fostering respect with the indigenous peoples we've subjugated for hundreds of years. gently caress off.

Despite years and years of spending, how many of those in the UK speak Gaelic or Cymru? Scottish and Welsh culture has changed, and that's okay. Scots and Welshmen speak English and shockingly remain proud of their history and identity. For Native people to survive in a globalized, technologically advanced society and economy English and university education (as is) will do more for them than dead languages, bogus medicinal practices, and longing for a mythic past.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I wasn't aware that Welsh children were abducted by English officials and beaten & raped by Anglican clergy for speaking a language other than the Queen's own.

Your opinion over how useful it is to speak Athabaskan or Dene in this global internet world isn't the deciding factor here. We broke it, we should fix it.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

Despite years and years of spending, how many of those in the UK speak Gaelic or Cymru? Scottish and Welsh culture has changed, and that's okay. Scots and Welshmen speak English and shockingly remain proud of their history and identity. For Native people to survive in a globalized, technologically advanced society and economy English and university education (as is) will do more for them than dead languages, bogus medicinal practices, and longing for a mythic past.

Over 700,000 people speak Welsh in the UK and Scottish Gaelic hasn't been in regular use since the 1300s and the fact that there is funding for language education has kept it alive along with its history after being actively suppressed for hundreds of years. Is that a bad thing or would it have been better to let it become extinct because English took over?

Also, would you mind pointing out where the report said that dead languages should be taught or are you just guessing.

MagicCube fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 2, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MagicCube posted:

Also, would you mind pointing out where the report said that dead languages should be taught or are you just guessing.

4 days posting in the thread and he/she's already proven to be racist against first nations...

Frosted Flake posted:

I did 4 years in the Army

Oh ok, hey CI, thoughts?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

flakeloaf posted:

I wasn't aware that Welsh children were abducted by English officials and beaten & raped by Anglican clergy for speaking a language other than the Queen's own.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conquest_of_Wales_by_Edward_I

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_invasion_of_Wales

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofWales/The-English-conquest-of-Wales/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Welsh_language

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

In spite of this boost, the use of Welsh was actively discouraged at school under the Welsh Not policy. A stick or plaque was given to any child heard speaking Welsh during school, to be handed on to whoever next spoke the language

Handing a child a stick of shame is literally the same as abducting him from his family and raping him.

Also, do you know how the English government dealt with the abolition of the Welsh Not policies? I'll give you a hint: It involved preserving something by instituting the teaching of it, and the spending of public money was involved.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Hospitals have chapels and prayer rooms inside them, can you believe our taxes go to pay for this superstitious bullshit!?!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

THC posted:

Hospitals have chapels and prayer rooms inside them, can you believe our taxes go to pay for this superstitious bullshit!?!

Sounds like nonsense to me. If churches want space in hospitals to indulge in their bullshit, they can loving well pay for it themselves.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

THC posted:

quote:

The ruling controversially concluded the girl’s family had a constitutional right to choose traditional native medicine over conventional treatment for cancer. It was modified Friday to stress that a child’s best interests must always be paramount in such situations, though traditional treatments should still be respected.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/bl...ukaemia-returns

quote:

Another aboriginal girl, Makayla Sault from neighbouring New Credit First Nation, died in February after similarly pulling out of chemotherapy for leukemia.

quote:

The cancer that her parents claimed, early this year, was no longer in evidence, as the child was treated with traditional indigenous medicine, and after the family had returned from a quack therapy regime at a Florida establishment that preaches curing cancer with a positive attitude and a raw plant-based organic diet.

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news/canada/2015/04/24/jj-is-thriving-no-thanks-to-courts-belated-clarification-dimanno.html

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 2, 2016

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Your point? Other than that Rosie DiManno probably shouldn't be trusted to say anything about FN people that isn't racist?

We already allow Christian Scientists, Scientologists and Jehovah's Witnesses to use their own particular brands of "nothing" in place of sensible medical care on their children.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Wow this guy knows everything. What should be taught in universities, how natives should integrate in a global economy, how families should treat sick loved ones...

You're a real renaissance man! Kudos!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

She died in January FYI

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I can't wait until muslims want their own prayer rooms in hospitals and the resulting racist poo poo storm that will happen.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Those already exist... the silent Muslim takeover of Canada has been underway for some time :freep:

Get this, Saint Paul's Hospital has a permanent staff of Catholic nuns! FFS burn that place to the loving ground

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

THC posted:

Those already exist... the silent Muslim takeover of Canada has been underway for some time :freep:

Get this, Saint Paul's Hospital has a permanent staff of Catholic nuns! FFS burn that place to the loving ground

And the Elizabeth Bruyère Centre, which is Ottawa's biggest palliative care facility and also a direct offshoot of the Catholic Church, has publicly stated it won't allow its doctors to euthanize patients or refer them to doctors who will because that offends Catholic values! The horror! It's like everyone around here thinks they have freedom of conscience and religion or something.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

JawKnee posted:

quote:

UPDATE – 11 a.m.: Vancouver Police have determined that the suspicious device is not an explosive

Haha, I'm curious to see what it was

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

Frosted Flake posted:

Both VAC and CFHS sent me to acupuncture for reasons. I have no idea how this got any traction. I would have preferred more physio or time with my doc. Burning sage and sweating isn't a substitute for radiology.

Clearly you have been bought in by big pharma. Let me give you a url to a crudely designed website with broken links where you can learn the REAL truth.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I hope it was another lite brite

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lol you loving dumb asses unironically advocating crack pot medicine because residential schools

lets make dr oz minister of health and foodbabe minister of agriculture because your microaggressions triggering me

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

CLAM DOWN posted:

4 days posting in the thread and he's already proven to be racist against first nations...

[video type=""]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh_471RjgBo[/video]

I actually agree with most of the proposals. The one's I have issue with don't do anything but make Canadians feel better. I'd rather actually help Natives out than pat myself on the back for being so understanding and sensitive.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

flakeloaf posted:

Your opinion over how useful it is to speak Athabaskan or Dene in this global internet world isn't the deciding factor here. We broke it, we should fix it.

Ehhhhh the treatment of natives didn't happen in a vacuum, it was a continuation of how Europeans have been treating conquered peoples, including other Europeans, for basically ever.

I agree that these are some dumb meaningless platitudes and that the correct course of action is to drop them and focus on actual meaningful changes (but that costs money so :lol:)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Jordan7hm posted:

Ehhhhh the treatment of natives didn't happen in a vacuum, it was a continuation of how Europeans have been treating conquered peoples, including other Europeans, for basically ever.

I agree that these are some dumb meaningless platitudes and that the correct course of action is to drop them and focus on actual meaningful changes (but that costs money so :lol:)

Trudeau is on the Aboriginal file, right after he finishes up with his weed legislation you hear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Jordan7hm posted:

Jus belli, ut qui vicissent, iis quos vicissent, quemadmodum vellent, imperarent.

Julius Caesar, Bellum Gallicum, I. 36.

It is the right of war for conquerors to treat those whom they have conquered according to their pleasure.