Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Sometimes in stories, characters will behave differently. Eventhough it confuses you, you want this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:thejoke:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Xoidanor posted:

BSG was good for like all of half of the first season until you realized that the writers had no loving idea how to actually drive the premise anywhere meaningful.

Most of Season 2 and early season 3 were enjoyable TV

the ending was rat poo poo

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Personally I felt like BSG held up a lot better on a rewatch. The plot definitely gets slapdash towards the end (pretty sure RDM explicitly admitted that they were winging it in the latter seasons, partly due to the writers' strike and uncertainty about whether or not the show was going to be cancelled), but overall it was good. The only thing that still sticks in my craw is at the end when they decide to complete eschew technology and start over from scratch.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I didn't watch BSG until it was over (same with LOST, actually, both shows work really well when you're not waiting and theorizing between weeks and seasons) and the weakest bit for me was New Caprica. I actually stopped watching for like a year and had to restart when I wanted to finish it. Once they were off the ground I got way into the show again.

I mean it's not some masterpiece and the ending is weak, but really other than the Starbuck poo poo being silly as gently caress I was pretty happy with how it all went. The Cylons and their 'plan' never panned out into anything as big or interesting as the show wanted to build up, but none of the religious themes/etc surprised me or felt out of place. The show had weird religious stuff going on from the beginning.

Good show imho.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Everytime ALIE shows up next to Jaha and starts talking to him, I just hear the musical cue from BSG when 6 would talk to Gaius

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

:siren: S3 E7 Thirteen

Lexa tries to maintain peace within the clans; Clarke discovers an unusual and game-changing truth; flashbacks reveal a dark chapter of humanity's past.

:supaburn::supaburn:

Also, this is the The 100 thread, not the BSG thread.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rurea posted:

Everytime ALIE shows up next to Jaha and starts talking to him, I just hear the musical cue from BSG when 6 would talk to Gaius

Yeah, I kinda hate how similar it is. Fortunately it's diverging a bit because multiple characters can see her now, and even more than in BSG it's clear that talking to her is literally just talking to the air.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

hollylolly posted:

:siren: S3 E7 Thirteen

Lexa tries to maintain peace within the clans; Clarke discovers an unusual and game-changing truth; flashbacks reveal a dark chapter of humanity's past.

:supaburn::supaburn:

Oh poo poo we get some flashback action. Who's it gonna be!? And my bet is on Clarke finding... the other AI pod. I forget its name, drat I need to give the second ep up to tonight's ep a re-watch.

hollylolly posted:

Also, this is the The 100 thread, not the BSG thread.

:agreed: :colbert:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh poo poo we get some flashback action. Who's it gonna be!? And my bet is on Clarke finding... the other AI pod. I forget its name, drat I need to give the second ep up to tonight's ep a re-watch.

Polaris. It's why the Grounder HQ is called Polis, because the 'ar' is smudged off :aaa:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

WarLocke posted:

Polaris. It's why the Grounder HQ is called Polis, because the 'ar' is smudged off :aaa:

Thank you! I knew it was related to the city name. I hope the 'unusual truth' is the reality behind the Nightbloods :aaa:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Johnny Truant posted:

Thank you! I knew it was related to the city name. I hope the 'unusual truth' is the reality behind the Nightbloods :aaa:

I am about 95% behind the theory that 'night blood' is a side-effect of carrying BECKIE/AI2.0 suspended in your bloodstream. It would explain why Lexa had that nightmare with earlier Commanders speaking to her - the AI inside of her was trying to communicate

Further bullshit speculation: since that one Night Blood dripped her own blood all over Clarke's face, I bet some of it got into her (probably via the mucous membranes under her eyelids) and she'll eventually manifest night blood herself as the AI propagates itself within her - we'll get two AIs waging a proxy war using their chosen avatars (Clarke vs Jaha) :suspense:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 3, 2016

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Johnny Truant posted:

And my bet is on Clarke finding... the other AI pod.

She's actually going to discover that they've been mistranslating the entire time and "Wanheda" actually means "Commander of the little death". Really changes her outlook on things.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Azhais posted:

She's actually going to discover that they've been mistranslating the entire time and "Wanheda" actually means "Commander of the little death". Really changes her outlook on things.

Commander of Both Sexes.

:colbert:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

WarLocke posted:

I am about 95% behind the theory that 'night blood' is a side-effect of carrying BECKIE/AI2.0 suspended in your bloodstream. It would explain why Lexa had that nightmare with earlier Commanders speaking to her - the AI inside of her was trying to communicate

Further bullshit speculation: since that one Night Blood dripped her own blood all over Clarke's face, I bet some of it got into her (probably via the mucous membranes under her eyelids) and she'll eventually manifest night blood herself as the AI propagates itself within her - we'll get two AIs waging a proxy war using their chosen avatars (Clarke vs Jaha) :suspense:

Yup, we're on the same page here. But is the Commander's adviser gonna be super sketchy? I think so.

enraged_camel posted:

Commander of Both Sexes.

:colbert:

Commander of my heart. :sparkles:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ROGER CROSS is the original Commander. Canadian TV law has finally been satisfied by his appearance.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
ITS HAPPENING

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Well Titus sure thought that plan through.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Uhhh, whut?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Time to rip out the implant.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

This show's bad. gently caress it

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So is this enough to officially say that Clarke has the Cartwright Curse, or do we need her vag to claim one more victim? :v:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

This is sooo much better and more interesting than any of the Pike bullshit. Bulldoze Arkadia and just stick with this.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well, looks like there are two AI implants. Wonder how this will play out.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
As interesting as this plot is, I can't help but marvel at the fact that the show has now managed to basically destroy both major sides of its fanbase. Bellarkers hate it because Bellamy is a Bad Character now, and Clexa fans... well, I don't expect they'll be too happy about tonight either. So I honestly expect ratings to tank pretty soon. :v:

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

This show took the phrase 'lesbian bed death' a little too literally. :smith:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The100 is trending on twitter. People are... not happy. Not one bit.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Titus owns super hard. Best new char by far.

AI plot owns. I wonder what the AI chip even does for the commander, besides make them pussywhipped.

I want the final showdown to be Jaha and Titus in a debate.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Time to batten down the hatches for the next few weeks. I sincerely hope discussion about the episode is possible without accusations of FRIDGING and KILLING OFF THE GAYS.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
There's already an interview out there where Jason was basically like "GUYS, SHE WAS ON ANOTHER SHOW. It was literally impossible to get her for more than seven episodes. What the gently caress was I supposed to do, have Clarke make out with a cardboard cutout of Alycia Debnam-Carey?"

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Just wanted to drop in for the first time to see the reaction to tonight's ep. I kind of admire JRoth for trolling so hard. Tumblr's freaking out. I honestly can't blame them- it feels cheap. As for myself, this kind of killed the small amount of interest I still had in the show. Oh well, time to move on.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Spergatory posted:

There's already an interview out there where Jason was basically like "GUYS, SHE WAS ON ANOTHER SHOW. It was literally impossible to get her for more than seven episodes. What the gently caress was I supposed to do, have Clarke make out with a cardboard cutout of Alycia Debnam-Carey?"

That would've been funny. or idk send her off to Ice Nation to strengthen their bond or something. She didn't have to die.

No more Bitanic :(

FourLeaf posted:

Just wanted to drop in for the first time to see the reaction to tonight's ep. I kind of admire JRoth for trolling so hard. Tumblr's freaking out. I honestly can't blame them- it feels cheap. As for myself, this kind of killed the small amount of interest I still had in the show. Oh well, time to move on.

lol

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 4, 2016

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

enraged_camel posted:

Actually, the problem isn't Kane. The problem is Clarke. She was the one holding Bellamy in line. His chasing after her at the beginning of the season is a reflection of his internal struggle and self-doubt. Clarke was the one keeping his rear end in a top hat side in check, and now that she's far away, he's back to his old self (if you remember how he was at the beginning of season 1, he was basically Pike).

I would go so far to say he was an even less competent version of Pike.
The 100 would have soon become "the dead kids we sent on earth" if Bellamy had remained in charge in season 1. He had no vision beyond, "I don't want to get killed for having shot Jaha".

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

enraged_camel posted:

BSG was good up until Starbuck came back from the dead. It was downhill from there and the ending sucked.

edit: drat autocorrect

This. This statement is probably the truest statement ever made regarding BSG. It was a great show up until that point. That's the "jumped the shark" moment for BSG. I feel like The 100 is nowhere near that point fortunately. The show is still great and last episode was :aaaaa:

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Sober posted:

Time to batten down the hatches for the next few weeks. I sincerely hope discussion about the episode is possible without accusations of FRIDGING and KILLING OFF THE GAYS.

It's honestly a very fair complaint, but in it's context I think their hand was kinda forced and it was done well imo.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I wonder if the reason the whole Pike plotline has been so badly paced is because they wanted to use Lexa's actress while they could

Henker
May 5, 2009

Lesbian warrior women are totally my thing so I was going to start watching this show. Guess I'm not going to anymore.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Man, the writer for tonight's episode (and co-EP of the show, Javier Grillo-Marxuach) is getting dog-piled on twitter but is kinda taking it in stride, even retweeting people telling him to basically go gently caress himself.

Monicro posted:

It's honestly a very fair complaint, but in it's context I think their hand was kinda forced and it was done well imo.
To expand on my points (because I should, not because I fear being shouted down), I don't think Lexa was fridged at all, nor was it really intentionally killing off a lgtbq+ character for shock value. I mean if anything Lexa is one of the more nuanced characters I've seen put to screen, and she just happens to be a lesbian (for simplicity's sake). And she has a ton of agency in the show. Maybe it's just me but I go with the old-fashioned definition of fridging a (female) character and it's basically someone incidental to simply motivate a male character into action. And we've literally seen it this season (Bellamy's 5 minute girlfriend, Gina) so 1) I get why this fear isn't unfounded but 2) that one I feel is a much clearer, obvious example of it happening.

As for killing off lgbtq+ characters, fair warning I am a cis/hetero male (my only concession is I'm not white), but again, her homosexuality was not the defining trait of that character. And I don't think lgbtq+ characters should somehow be 'safe' from being killed off because that's essentially asking for gay plot armour and not productive at all.

Although obviously I will concede the point that lgbtq+ representation isn't as stellar as it should be (or other non-white representation) so I completely get why a f/f ship (or whatever you want to be invested in) is something those particular fans will cling onto dear life for and take it personally if or when something like this happens that causes that to no longer exist. This isn't the first time and not the last and I am not immune from this either, but at the end of the day the circumstances involved are complicated, at least the writing surrounding it is for the most part well done and communicates nuance at that moment and promises to moving forward, and the feelings of the fandom for one and many other reasons are also complicated and obviously matter as well.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Henker posted:

Lesbian warrior women are totally my thing so I was going to start watching this show. Guess I'm not going to anymore.

Don't stop yourself. It is a great show. But since its in its 3rd season, as per some unwritten rules, goons are starting to complain about the little things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shippers, man.

• Locked thread