Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Which country was it that had set up a national wage for everyone?

Was it a pilot scheme or something set in motion for the whole country?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Canada tried out Mincome in one town of one province as an experiment. Switzerland voted on it in one canton, I think. Finland are discussing it.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

NOT THE MUSIC INDUSTRY

I hope they all die. Ober, stop getting probated in GBS.

mehall posted:

Which country was it that had set up a national wage for everyone?

Was it a pilot scheme or something set in motion for the whole country?

5 year Pilot scheme in a state of Canada showing 93% continued employment and the dropouts were almost entirely parenting

voted on and denied by the Swiss, gently caress the Swiss.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Taear posted:

I find it really weird that they haven't blocked Showbox. Since it's easy to use and a lot of people use it and don't even consider it piracy since they can get it as an app or whatever.
They haven't even blocked The Pirate Bay. Now you just get a site with a huge list of proxies for it instead.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

ThomasPaine posted:

So apparently the BBC is going to start making it a legal requirement to pay the license fee even if you only watch iPlayer. I think this might win an award for the single least enforceable law ever written.
They actually can build "detector vans" for iPlayer usage, though. Why do you think they're so keen to get the Snooper's Charter through? :tinfoil:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

ThomasPaine posted:

So apparently the BBC is going to start making it a legal requirement to pay the license fee even if you only watch iPlayer. I think this might win an award for the single least enforceable law ever written.

After you payed your fee you get the login credentials for the new and revamped iPlayer. That's the method the US networks are already using for their webplayers.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Spangly A posted:

I hope they all die. Ober, stop getting probated in GBS.

I love that that's your segue.

:rip: Ober, first pots indeed.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Zephro posted:

They haven't even blocked The Pirate Bay. Now you just get a site with a huge list of proxies for it instead.

Maybe for you, I have to specifically google the proxy site!

haakman
May 5, 2011

Ludicro posted:

Currently a large number of NIMBYs in northern Kent are getting their panties in a knot over the proposals to build a second Kent-Essex crossing in the Gravesham area to take the strain off of the Dartford Crossing. Naturally according to them the whole reason this is needed is because of immigration and benefits and nothing to do with the South East being the main access hub for the rest of Europe for trade and there being one loving road to get from the South East to the eastern side of the country further up. They luckily have sensible solutions like reducing the population, cutting benefits and getting out of the EU and oh wont anyone think of are property values??!!!1.

Its absolutely remarkable around here how the authorities quite literally cannot build anything without people protesting. A new bridge crossing - people protest. A new housing estate - people protest. A new motorway junction that quite literally has barely any impact on the local countryside because most of it is already lovely existing roads and embankments - people protest complaining they're concreting over the countryside.

Oh no, a dual carriageway and a bridge might cut into your view of a field and some power pylons and might affect your property value, can't have that with all the noise and pollution and what not. Perfectly OK for Dartford to suffer with it though.

I know this is a while ago but I felt like I should comment.

I work in Grays, Essex. I live in Greenhithe, Kent. As the crow flies I work 4 miles from my place of residence. Here is the snag - it's across the Bridge. Last month, one Thursday, there was an accident (a lorry, obviously). I spent 9 hours stuck in traffic. 9 hours to travel 4 miles.

gently caress NIMBYs.

gently caress lorry drivers.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Zephro posted:

I don't know if it's quantifiable but I feel like the gap between 'technologies people are using' and 'technologies the government is aware of / trying to suppress' is growing. By the time they started clamping down on KaZaA, everybody was already using BitTorrent. Now they're playing Whac-a-mole with torrent sites and TPB mirrors, but PopcornTime and ShowBox are already much easier to use. Now PopcornTime is fully integrated into the browser and BitTorrent trackers themselves are moving to distributed P2P frameworks, nobody really needs to directly access TPB anymore (at least for movies).

But then with the government's understanding of tech it wouldn't surprise my if they tried a blanket ban on all 'peer-to-peer' technology in general.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

haakman posted:

I work in Grays, Essex. I live in Greenhithe, Kent. As the crow flies I work 4 miles from my place of residence. Here is the snag - it's across the Bridge. Last month, one Thursday, there was an accident (a lorry, obviously). I spent 9 hours stuck in traffic. 9 hours to travel 4 miles.

gently caress NIMBYs.

you should invest in a microlight imho

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
South Essex is the worst place on Earth for that kind of thing. My mum phoned me up in tears once because the council were considering allowing new builds down the road from my house.

It was rejected, of course, because the entire county is filled with people exactly like that.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

South Essex is the worst place on Earth for that kind of thing. My mum phoned me up in tears once because the council were considering allowing new builds down the road from my house.

I... what? :psyduck:

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

TACD posted:

Now they're playing Whac-a-mole with torrent sites and TPB mirrors, but PopcornTime and ShowBox are already much easier to use.l.

As long as google-cache works, it doesn't matter how many sites they ban - it's not like you have to do anything difficult or clever even

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

There's a certain species of home owner that dedicates their lives to preventing other people from becoming home owners and takes any sort of house building as a personal defeat.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

XMNN posted:

you should invest in a microlight imho

Zipwire and copious supply of model rocket engines for the return trip.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

They might be bought by Those People (i.e. people who aren't old and haven't owned their house since the 1970s), you see.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
New houses, like holes in your skirting boards are a sign of mice, are a sign of the dreaded Immigrants and Single Mums On Benefits coming to your previously nice area and playing havoc with the house prices.

Edit: It wasn't even her bloody house, it was mine, and I can't express how little I care about whether some more houses go up a couple of roads over. In fact I positively encourage it - house prices around here are loving mental, and houses are for living in, not investing.

NO FUCK YOU DAD fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 2, 2016

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

haha remember when the dartford crossing paid for itself and is now free and dartcharge isn't real

gently caress essex, it's full of the white flight.

e; there are some good essex in this thread who I am fond of but you must understand the greater good

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It was rejected, of course, because the entire county is filled with people exactly like that.

Did you tell her that if she doesn't stop this nonsense she'll be among the first against the wall come the revolution? Surely that would make her welcome houses.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
has there ever been a toll that was supposed to pay for the construction costs that got cancelled?

I know the mersey tunnels didn't, and I suspect when they do it for the bridges at runcorn it won't

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

If we can compare the migration patterns observed in the White Flight, driven by a desire to stay away from black people and keep your house price, and the migration pattern of The European Migrant Crisis, which should be properly named gently caress, We Didnt Bomb All Of Them, we come to a simple solution involving trident launches to create a massive tidal wave, wash essex clean, and settle All The Migrants there.

This is the most absolutely Correct opinion imo

XMNN posted:

has there ever been a toll that was supposed to pay for the construction costs that got cancelled?

I know the mersey tunnels didn't, and I suspect when they do it for the bridges at runcorn it won't

do the Mersey Tunnels stalk you online and send you automatic penalty notices three days after crossing a bridge should you not use their deliberately broken website?

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Did you tell her that if she doesn't stop this nonsense she'll be among the first against the wall come the revolution? Surely that would make her welcome houses.
She was apparently a bit of a Communist at school, but is now a small and petrified 60-year-old woman who's spent the last few decades having variations of "Oh No! The Blacks Are Coming!" beamed into her house via newspapers, TV and her circle of equally small, petrified friends. I don't think anything's getting through at this point.

I lived in Southend for a while, and when she talks about it you'd think I'd gone to live in Baghdad.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Spangly A posted:

do the Mersey Tunnels stalk you online and send you automatic penalty notices three days after crossing a bridge should you not use their deliberately broken website?
No, they've got barriers and if you ram through them you end up in a tunnel so the tunnels police will catch you

haakman
May 5, 2011

Spangly A posted:

haha remember when the dartford crossing paid for itself and is now free and dartcharge isn't real

gently caress essex, it's full of the white flight.

e; there are some good essex in this thread who I am fond of but you must understand the greater good

No, no - gently caress Essex. It is filled with horrible, horrible people. This includes me. I'm one of them. I can feel myself, every day, getting more and more incorrect living here.

haakman fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 2, 2016

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Whelp, I post here sometimes, so I thought I just share that after moving from the dystopian hell that is the Medway Towns in North Kent to Cardiff in Gods Own Country... I'm much happier, everyone is friendly and, after a whole 3 weeks of looking and One interview, I've got a job here.

Abandon the south east.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Renfield posted:

Whelp, I post here sometimes, so I thought I just share that after moving from the dystopian hell that is the Medway Towns in North Kent to Cardiff in Gods Own Country... I'm much happier, everyone is friendly and, after a whole 3 weeks of looking and One interview, I've got a job here.

Abandon the south east.

I reckon you could do a decent remake of blade runner in chatham

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think you mean Port Talbot

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I'd love to move, but life gets in the way. Cardiff's an excellent choice, though, it's probably my favourite British city.

Edinburgh's up there, too, but it's time as a British city is probably limited if the shits around me get their way.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

We got a new estate being built in our village and all the old farts are up in arms. They even tried to make a 'Memory Book' to remember the village before it gets spoiled irrevocably. My father-in-law remembers similar old farts saying exactly the same thing in the 1980s when they started building the houses that the current complainers live in.
The worst of it is the developers offered 30k to build a new childrens playground, but the village council told them to stuff it out of spite.
:bang:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OzyMandrill posted:

We got a new estate being built in our village and all the old farts are up in arms. They even tried to make a 'Memory Book' to remember the village before it gets spoiled irrevocably. My father-in-law remembers similar old farts saying exactly the same thing in the 1980s when they started building the houses that the current complainers live in.
The worst of it is the developers offered 30k to build a new childrens playground, but the village council told them to stuff it out of spite.
I'm sure I've talked about this before, but there were roughly two groups of nopers when they tried to build new houses around here, old people scared of change who lived in houses built in the 80s, and people legitimately worried that the new houses would be shoved in without concern for flood plains, traffic, and services, which is a legitimate complaint given that the place already floods and has congestion and also given who will be building the houses.
But the NIMBY groups tended to marginalize the legitimate complaints, making them look less serious, and the construction company brushed everything off with "we already did traffic analysis at mid afternoon on a Wednesday and floodplain analysis in late summer" so now the legitimate complaints are riding sidecar to the NIMBYs to stall the thing and I can't see it going anywhere good either way.

She was apparently a bit of a Communist at school, but is now a small and petrified 60-year-old woman who's spent the last few decades having variations of "Oh No! The Blacks Are Coming!" beamed into her house via newspapers, TV and her circle of equally small, petrified friends. I don't think anything's getting through at this point.
Mine seems to have gone further left over time. I think the current government deserves some credit for that.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Looks like the fash- the SDL, specifically- are going to be in Edinburgh on the 20th. :commissar:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Lol, SDL. It's always a bunch of EDL people bussed up from Blackburn or something and get a massive hiding.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Oberleutnant posted:

Yanis is a vain self-publicist and DiEM25 is an opportunist reformist movement with an intellectually empty manifesto :ssh:

Yanis is no doubt a massive narcissist and tbqh I've not looked much at whatever DiEM25 is all, but I think you're allowed to be full of yourself a bit if you're correct. And he is, on most economic ideas.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

haakman posted:

gently caress NIMBYs.

I can believe it. My girlfriend and I went on a trip to Great Yarmouth last October, and as expected there had been an incident earlier in the day in the crossing area and the backlog was still clearing. Took a good 2 and a half hours to get through the tunnel. Honestly unless its the dead of night if I was travelling anywhere further north above London that was not in Essex or directly above, I'd take the long way around the M25 as it would be faster.

OzyMandrill posted:

I can believe this too. I suppose its plain old selfishness mixed in with a desire to resist any kind of change at all cost.

To illustrate the point I made earlier, the red overlay is the proposed Junction 10A over an image of what the area is currently like.

As you can see, its really minimal; effectively a roundabout and a single new road.The practical effect this would have of course is that all traffic that doesn't actually need to through J10 would be able to bypass it, due to the way the town has expanded J10 has become much busier over the years. Naturally there was a meeting at the church near where I live to discuss ways to oppose this development. A roundabout and a road is tantamount to concreting over the whole countryside apparently.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
At least they're not going fully pathetic and nominating something on the farm for Tree of the Year. :v:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
if you live within spitting distance of a motorway junction you aint in the goddamn countryside you loving morons

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Coohoolin posted:

Lol, SDL. It's always a bunch of EDL people bussed up from Blackburn or something and get a massive hiding.

Be fair, there's at least a couple of Ayrshire-based Rangers fans in there too.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

I'm sure I've talked about this before, but there were roughly two groups of nopers when they tried to build new houses around here, old people scared of change who lived in houses built in the 80s, and people legitimately worried that the new houses would be shoved in without concern for flood plains, traffic, and services, which is a legitimate complaint given that the place already floods and has congestion and also given who will be building the houses.
But the NIMBY groups tended to marginalize the legitimate complaints, making them look less serious, and the construction company brushed everything off with "we already did traffic analysis at mid afternoon on a Wednesday and floodplain analysis in late summer" so now the legitimate complaints are riding sidecar to the NIMBYs to stall the thing and I can't see it going anywhere good either way.

Mine seems to have gone further left over time. I think the current government deserves some credit for that.
Mine serves as an excellent bellwether of government propaganda. She lives directly opposite a close friend of her local Tory MP, and as of our last political conversation she thinks about 25% of people in Britain are living the Benefits Lifestyle, whereas in the run-up to the last election, when the rhetoric was more immigration-focussed, she thought about 25% of Britain were immigrants. I could give up watching the news entirely and still keep decently abreast of Tory policy just by who my mum thinks is taking over her High Street.

They've been trying to build new houses around here for as long as I've been alive and I can count on one hand the number of developments that have actually been built. The panic every time is that whatever unremarkable town they're building near is going to be filled with immigrants and benefit thieves, even though they're always luxury developments that start at £300,000 and only ever attract people exactly like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

haakman posted:

gently caress NIMBYs.

Can't you walk or cycle?

• Locked thread