Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
In TYOOL 2016, rather than our AD domain being our authoritative source for user accounts, we have a completely homebrew system sitting on some *nix box in a closet that hasn't been updated since the 1990s. We have a domain, but it pulls it's account list from this homebrew accounts server once per night. Need to add an account in the middle of the day? Add it to the accounts server and wait until the next business day so AD will pick it up using an absolutely in no way buggy at all custom client software running on one of the domain controllers.

Want to use domain credentials on a *nix box in our environment? Just install this custom account server client on your *nix box. Who needs to authenticate against LDAP when you can have every domain account copied to every *nix box as a local account nightly?

We apparently can't migrate *nix boxes to authenticate directly against AD because ~*~reasons~*~.

Did I mention this homebrew account server is sitting on a single box and stores the "master" database of all of our organizations 10,000+ accounts? And if it goes down for an extended period of time, the client on the domain controllers will happily delete every account from AD?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, this is the same place that uses static IPs on 4000+ machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Maniaman posted:

In TYOOL 2016, rather than our AD domain being our authoritative source for user accounts, we have a completely homebrew system sitting on some *nix box in a closet that hasn't been updated since the 1990s.
Are you talking about YP or NIS or is it legit some completely made-up nonsense?

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
It's a system that was completely built in-house in like 1992. 8 character username limitations and all, with minor hacks to add AD support back in the Server 2000 era.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Maniaman posted:

It's a system that was completely built in-house in like 1992. 8 character username limitations and all, with minor hacks to add AD support back in the Server 2000 era.
Then I assume it's sufficiently proprietary that there's no way it could be shared? I (unironically) love obscure directory services.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Was working on stuff today, which I currently have like 5 things I'm supposed to be working on at the same time. The head of IT walks over to my desk and asked me to come with him to his office. I see that he has my manager already on video-conference in the office. At this point my heart is going a mile a minute, because in my experience in the past meetings like that never are for a good reason. He asks me to sit down.

He then tells me that he just wanted to ask me in there because he had been hearing really good things about my work from my manager and wanted to say how pleased they are with the work I have been doing, including taking the initiative on something that will reduce our database to about half of its current size(it is currently 170GB, after I'm done with my little project it will be reduced by about 80GB). So, yay I guess? My heart didn't stop beating like a mile a minute for the next hour though.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Maniaman posted:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, this is the same place that uses static IPs on 4000+ machines.

Well, I guess on the other hand nothings going to change? Heh.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Witnessing possibly our least-qualified sales employee bullshit their way though some technical questions a client has asked about a proposal because I'm out at a conference is equal parts hilarious and horrifying.

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

Doctors are pissing me off so so much right now.

Doc: "My printer is broken, come fix it."
Me: "I can see from the status page that it's out of paper, just put in paper and it works again"
Doc: "Hey, I'm a doctor, not some IT nerd. I don't know all this technical stuff, you come here fix it."

gently caress this poo poo.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

hazzlebarth posted:

Doctors are pissing me off so so much right now.

Doc: "My printer is broken, come fix it."
Me: "I can see from the status page that it's out of paper, just put in paper and it works again"
Doc: "Hey, I'm a doctor, not some IT nerd. I don't know all this technical stuff, you come here fix it."

gently caress this poo poo.

Doctors are the absolute worst people to work for on the loving planet. lawyers are a close second, but working for doctors is torture.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Educated in anatomy. Trained in the actual process of cutting a human person open to physically intervene on their one and only body. Lacks the critical thinking skills to fill a paper drawer.

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

Eikre posted:

Educated in anatomy. Trained in the actual process of cutting a human person open to physically intervene on their one and only body. Lacks the critical thinking skills to fill a paper drawer.

Some of the doctors here really are too stupid afraid to change the paper/toner, but when they call at least they apologize for it and say "Thank you" and "Please". Others, like the one who pissed me off this morning, want to show the little guy: "I'm worth more than you to the hospital". And sadly they are right, at least in the eyes of hospital leadership.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SHITS hosed UP BECAUSE YESTERDAY WAS A LEAP-DAY

:siren:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

SHITS hosed UP BECAUSE YESTERDAY WAS A LEAP-DAY

:siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5wpm-gesOY&t=515s

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j_cOsgRY7w

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Aunt Beth posted:

Jack Henry? :rolleyes:

Small provider called Trinovus (now owned by Temenos). We're planning a core transition to FiServ Precision very soon which is sure to be a huge bundle of joy.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
Can devs join in on this IT thread? Because holy poo poo my PMs are acting like idiots and I need to rant.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

booshi posted:

Can devs join in on this IT thread? Because holy poo poo my PMs are acting like idiots and I need to rant.
Yes.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

booshi posted:

Do it but also post in the Working in Development thread because it needs more posters :sun:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
gently caress printers...

Brother 5370DW. Comes on breifly and then shuts off. Likely dead power supply.

And just minutes later, a LaserJet m401dn that appears to have a dead NIC. It links up, but no longer pulls a IP address nor can you communicate with it via the APIPA address it eventually assigns itself.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

FaintlyQuaint posted:

We're planning a core transition to FiServ Precision very soon which is sure to be a huge bundle of joy.

Hah, best of luck and hope your team is competent. FiServ's #1 issue right now is they can't support their growth. They keep buying up companies to offer more products, and to make up for support they hire newbies / shift guys from their knowledge base to something totally unrelated. There doesn't seem to be enough training to go around. Tier 1 in nearly any field sucks absolute rear end, and you have to escalate past the engineer level to get somebody that actually knows how the product works or which route traffic will follow.

Our company has responded by going all-in, migrating any legacy product to whatever FiServ started offering last month. I guess we're getting huge discounts for consolidating more money to the same people but gently caress if their support can get basic things like a backup VPN to work without me hand-holding their guy.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
Almost daily I have to chase down a PM (since they are never online to message, some of which work half way across the country) because they write the most vague, unactionable, poo poo tickets ever, then later have to hear poo poo about WHY ISN'T THIS DONE, which I then point out the comments in Jira, Skype messages, and emails I have sent.

Just got a new PM, who is new to the company (we were bought out). Given that he does not understand any of the infrastructure, or our codebase, he keeps offering up "ideas" and "fixes" (it's already fixed and when 5 people can't repro a bug it's loving fixed, so let's patch!) that make sweeping changes across our codebase. I have been spending days pushing back on "no, we won't change this one bit when the bug is fixed. Why? It's a full regression across all of our products then, and this go way beyond the notion of scope creeping a sprint.

gently caress PMs, they are loving useless and can't even do their job which is to write proper loving tickets and make it clear what the desired output is. I am going to start kicking back tickets without acceptance criteria because gently caress them.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
^ Similar to you but not a PM or development - I've got a client with a site contact who always assumes the worst about the company I work for and the work we're doing. Primarily because her second in command is the person we talk to and who submits tickets, and he's not very tech-minded at all. Half the time he either doesn't tell his boss (main contact) what we're doing, have done, or are waiting on, so she automatically assumes we're not fixing their problems. Naturally, I started including her on any emails and tickets that were submitted because she wanted to be kept in the loop, so she can see the ticket notes, what's being worked on, and have info directly from us on statuses instead of going through the non-tech goof on site.

After all this, I get an email this morning from her: "I don't need to be copied on all these communications like this. Work with <goof underling> and he'll let me know what's happening."

Yep, because that worked SO well up until now. Gonna file that email away for later when she inevitably complains again because she either wasn't informed, or was given wrong information. :allears:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Anderson Windows' "IQ" quoting software can just gently caress right off...

We deal with many replacement/new construction window vendors. Every one of them has their own quoting/ordering software/website. All of the companies we deal with have already transitioned to or are in the process of moving to a web based setup for dealer quoting and ordering.

Not Anderson... They still send out their updates on CD and refuse to have them downloadable anywhere. And the updates have to be installed in order. Have version 15.1 installed and get a CD for version 16? You have to install 15.2, 15.3, 15.4, etc... first! Sometimes they don't always send out the in-between CDs, so you have to request copies of them, which then takes weeks.

We have to keep a external CD drive around just to install their updates. We have zero reason for CD drives otherwise. None of the workstations bought in the past 4-5 years have CD drives.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

stevewm posted:

Anderson Windows' "IQ" quoting software can just gently caress right off...

We deal with many replacement/new construction window vendors. Every one of them has their own quoting/ordering software/website. All of the companies we deal with have already transitioned to or are in the process of moving to a web based setup for dealer quoting and ordering.

Not Anderson... They still send out their updates on CD and refuse to have them downloadable anywhere. And the updates have to be installed in order. Have version 15.1 installed and get a CD for version 16? You have to install 15.2, 15.3, 15.4, etc... first! Sometimes they don't always send out the in-between CDs, so you have to request copies of them, which then takes weeks.

We have to keep a external CD drive around just to install their updates. We have zero reason for CD drives otherwise. None of the workstations bought in the past 4-5 years have CD drives.

At least there is still software being used. My brother does estimating for a lumberyard and some new owners recently took over. They decided that saleforce was a waste of money when an outlook and some whiteboards can do everything it does. They also canceled their MSP's contract since some guy in sales says he knows about computers (A guy who my brother has had some great stories about how incompetent he is with computers outside of knowing salesforce).

I told my brother to get the hell out the company is going to go under without software supporting them. They seriously have zero intention of replacing the software, the new owners are idiots who won finally got the last few shares to kick the previous CEO out. None of them have a background in business and have no right running the thing even outside of making bad IT choices.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 1, 2016

stevewm
May 10, 2005

pixaal posted:

At least there is still software being used. My brother does estimating for a lumberyard and some new owners recently took over. They decided that saleforce was a waste of money when an outlook and some whiteboards can do everything it does. They also canceled their MSP's contract since some guy in sales says he knows about computers (A guy who my brother has had some great stories about how incompetent he is with computers outside of knowing salesforce).

I told my brother to get the hell out the company is going to go under without software supporting them. They seriously have zero intention of replacing the software, the new owners are idiots who won finally got the last few shares to kick the previous CEO out. (share holders are fathers 2nd wife who hated CEO for being from a previous marriage and her kids, who now run the company). None of them have a background in business and have no right running the thing even outside of making bad IT choices.

Yeah, I work for a regional chain of lumber yards with several stores.

Its amazing how backwards technologically this industry is compared to other retail sectors. I am in a constant fight with bitchy vendor reps who get pissed because they cannot install their software/updates whenever they feel like it on our computers. (no one has admin) They are used to every other mom& pop yard with no dedicated IT.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

stevewm posted:

Yeah, I work for a regional chain of lumber yards with several stores.

Its amazing how backwards technologically this industry is compared to other retail sectors. I am in a constant fight with bitchy vendor reps who get pissed because they cannot install their software/updates whenever they feel like it on our computers. (no one has admin) They are used to every other mom& pop yard with no dedicated IT.

Auto/motorcycle/quad repair/parts software is the exact same way.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Hah, best of luck and hope your team is competent. FiServ's #1 issue right now is they can't support their growth. They keep buying up companies to offer more products, and to make up for support they hire newbies / shift guys from their knowledge base to something totally unrelated. There doesn't seem to be enough training to go around. Tier 1 in nearly any field sucks absolute rear end, and you have to escalate past the engineer level to get somebody that actually knows how the product works or which route traffic will follow.

Our company has responded by going all-in, migrating any legacy product to whatever FiServ started offering last month. I guess we're getting huge discounts for consolidating more money to the same people but gently caress if their support can get basic things like a backup VPN to work without me hand-holding their guy.

Yeah, our flex credit thing or whatever they call it is now some astronomical number for us migrating literally everything to them (except our deposit platform). It's good to know that I'll be in basically the exact same position with their support as I am in now. Thanks for the head's up!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Last night the guy that replaced me at the last job (and quit after less than a year) called me to catch up. He's at a new place where he's in charge and it sounds like he's off to a good start. I wish him well.

He gave me the backstory on the VP of I.T. position at the last place. Not only had the position been open since I left at the end of 2014 my old boss had been actively interviewing people the entire time! He had candidate after candidate in his office, month after month with no progress. Toward the end of 2015 he told the guy that replaced me "Everyone is either good at communicating or good at I.T. but there's no one like Dick that's good at both."

:rolleyes:

Around this time a job offer comes in for my replacement and he accepts. The same Friday he hands in his resignation my old boss finally offers the VP of I.T. job to someone. By Tuesday the candidate rejected the offer saying only that he "didn't want to work there."

With my replacement almost out the door I.T. was handed off to yet another executive, this time the new head of Compliance. Because that makes sense! I.T. is somehow no longer part of Operations, although it would hardly make a difference since my replacement was just as ignored as I was. The Compliance guy decides that the best way to handle my replacement's departure is to have the MSP put an engineer onsite at HQ for 40 hours a week. Not a Tier 1 guy, an engineer.

And that's the way it's been since my replacement left three months ago. They're paying about $800 per day to have an engineer there. And they're okay with that. They closed the VP of I.T. position, so they have the MSP's engineer, a helpdesk guy that's only approved to create AD and email accounts and do password resets, and an I.T. guy in northern California that they picked up when they bought another company out.

When my replacement asked how I'd been able to hang on so long doing everything by myself I told him that I mistakenly viewed that job as a sort of magic lantern. All I had to do was figure out the right way to rub the lamp and the genie would pop out. But nothing I tried worked. Year after year I rubbed that loving lantern waiting for the genie. Maybe if I rubbed it faster. Maybe if I rubbed it harder. But finally I had to accept that it was not a magic lantern and the goddamn genie was never going to appear no matter what I did.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dick Trauma posted:

Last night the guy that replaced me at the last job (and quit after less than a year) called me to catch up. He's at a new place where he's in charge and it sounds like he's off to a good start. I wish him well.

He gave me the backstory on the VP of I.T. position at the last place. Not only had the position been open since I left at the end of 2014 my old boss had been actively interviewing people the entire time! He had candidate after candidate in his office, month after month with no progress. Toward the end of 2015 he told the guy that replaced me "Everyone is either good at communicating or good at I.T. but there's no one like Dick that's good at both."

:rolleyes:

Around this time a job offer comes in for my replacement and he accepts. The same Friday he hands in his resignation my old boss finally offers the VP of I.T. job to someone. By Tuesday the candidate rejected the offer saying only that he "didn't want to work there."

With my replacement almost out the door I.T. was handed off to yet another executive, this time the new head of Compliance. Because that makes sense! I.T. is somehow no longer part of Operations, although it would hardly make a difference since my replacement was just as ignored as I was. The Compliance guy decides that the best way to handle my replacement's departure is to have the MSP put an engineer onsite at HQ for 40 hours a week. Not a Tier 1 guy, an engineer.

And that's the way it's been since my replacement left three months ago. They're paying about $800 per day to have an engineer there. And they're okay with that. They closed the VP of I.T. position, so they have the MSP's engineer, a helpdesk guy that's only approved to create AD and email accounts and do password resets, and an I.T. guy in northern California that they picked up when they bought another company out.

When my replacement asked how I'd been able to hang on so long doing everything by myself I told him that I mistakenly viewed that job as a sort of magic lantern. All I had to do was figure out the right way to rub the lamp and the genie would pop out. But nothing I tried worked. Year after year I rubbed that loving lantern waiting for the genie. Maybe if I rubbed it faster. Maybe if I rubbed it harder. But finally I had to accept that it was not a magic lantern and the goddamn genie was never going to appear no matter what I did.
Now the name makes sense.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dick Trauma posted:

Maybe if I rubbed it faster. Maybe if I rubbed it harder.

I'm so childish

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Maybe if I rubbed it faster. Maybe if I rubbed it harder.

That's what she said!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Alone with AS/400 guy today. Helpdesk guy took the day off.

Email notifications aren't coming through from our e-commerce website. Haven't been for 2 weeks. He's known the whole time. Durrr.

"The server isn't sending email"

Which one?

"The email server"

Ugh. When you place an order it can send email from 3 servers. The server running OpenCart, The IBM System i that processes the order. Or our company email server. Yay.

He isn't able to identify which step isn't sending the email, where it comes from, blah blah. So I start looking at mail headers, then mail logs, then a spam filter, then looked in the OpenCart error log, then found out someone nuked the account at Rackspace we were sending them out from.

The whole time he's standing behind me breathing all heavy and his stomach is rumbling, so gross.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

This is all going to end with him dead and you a fugitive in a forest preserve, isn't it?

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 2, 2016

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
It's better if he's standing behind you while you type that post too.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Gounads posted:

It's better if he's standing behind you while you type that post too.

We had a new desktop guy start on Monday. He has this really bad habit of coming into my office and walking behind my desk before talking to me. Just straight up walking behind my desk and snooping at my computer screens. He seemed a little surprised when I told him he wasn't allowed to do that anymore and that he shouldn't do that to anyone else because its weird.

He is dropping these small hints that hiring him was going to be a mistake.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

gently caress printers. Like everyone says, gently caress printers.
Mostly when users call at 16:59(!!!) for an issue that's been happening all afternoon.

Emergency Department having on/off issues with patient labels. Print servers probably need restarting, but the fun is - which ones? Is is the Cerner side ones? Or the third party Managed Service ones? Outsource Main IT helpfully didn't include that in the call, be far too easy. It ws both of them, of course.

Plus Cerner has print queues per TRAY per node. We have 4 nodes and most printers have 5 trays. So a lot of print queues - even just to shift click on.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Sickening posted:

We had a new desktop guy start on Monday. He has this really bad habit of coming into my office and walking behind my desk before talking to me. Just straight up walking behind my desk and snooping at my computer screens. He seemed a little surprised when I told him he wasn't allowed to do that anymore and that he shouldn't do that to anyone else because its weird.

He is dropping these small hints that hiring him was going to be a mistake.

Always keep up a few screens of stuff like Flat Earth Society, Obama birther, or 9/11 truther sites and then start steering conversations in the direction of these topics. He'll learn quickly to never talk to you.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

captkirk posted:

Always keep up a few screens of stuff like Flat Earth Society, Obama birther, or 9/11 truther sites and then start steering conversations in the direction of these topics. He'll learn quickly to never talk to you.

That can backfire spectacularly if he's into any of those things.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

captkirk posted:

Or he'll think he's found a new best friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah, that's a horrible, horrible gamble. Not as bad as having anime reviews or Minecraft sites up, but still.