Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Pawl posted:

When did people start using the word "splash" as a unit of volume

"Just a splash of strawberries"

"I need a splash of salt"

Why did this happen

whats the difference between this and a 'pinch' or a 'smidge'

those are both measurements i've seen in real cookbooks and used myself.

e: yes, this post deserves to be at the top of the page

validate my excellent millennial posting hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

symbolic posted:

what the gently caress

like i'm genuinely confused, do these kids not have clocks in their houses??

Since I moved out of home I haven't bought a clock and just look at my phone when I need to know the time, so now that I'm in that situation it doesn't seem so hard to believe. I do know how to read analog, though, since I grew up with them. Sometimes I still look up at the wall in my kitchen and think 'I need a loving clock there' like for when I cook stuff or I'm currently using the phone to for talking (I also don't have a house phone).

This is like when you like a band for their music so you decide to look up the members, and you just loving hate the look of all of them and it puts you off them entirely.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Mar 2, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jonny 290 posted:

i suppose asking them to be able to stack time zones/GMT on top of that is just completely out of the question

There are at least two who if you asked them this might say ".... what's a time zone?"

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
this is a great read, well researched, empirically based, and scientifically confirms basically everything you already knew about millennials but to save time you can just read the cover

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
Every public school still has regular clocks on the wall right?

I was a kid in the 80s and 90s and digital clocks were already a thing, and yet we were still taught how to tell time in kindergarten.

Is it like cursive, in that it's just not taught? All the big hand little hand stuff?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
It should probably still be taught analog clocks are still pretty common fixtures all over the world... Also way simpler to teach than a new way to writr

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

TheMostFrench posted:

Since I moved out of home I haven't bought a clock and just look at my phone when I need to know the time, so now that I'm in that situation it doesn't seem so hard to believe. I do know how to read analog, though, since I grew up with them. Sometimes I still look up at the wall in my kitchen and think 'I need a loving clock there' like for when I cook stuff or I'm currently using the phone to for talking (I also don't have a house phone).

microwaves have clocks. so do most ovens.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

This conversation comes up every twenty pages in this thread and it's always funny to me how dudes seem personally offended by clocks or something

Living that cyberpunk clockless life

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
lol if your house doesn't look doc browns in regards to clocks

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I hope millennial fashion trends move to something more sensible like bringing these back.

radiatinglines posted:

This conversation comes up every twenty pages in this thread and it's always funny to me how dudes seem personally offended by clocks or something

I've got a wristwatch and the clock on my computer, that's it for timepieces. Looking forward to recording Johnny Mneumonic's broadcast on a VCR, I'll have to find one first though.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I know when the sun comes up and I know when the sun goes down. Anything else is the man trying to keep me under his thumb with his corporate railroad standard time.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

radiatinglines posted:

Peoples natural reaction to anything they don't understand is fear and anger.

Further topics of study include sexism, racism, homophobia, religion, etc.

What I don't understand is how anybody can not know how to tell time. Lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuL9WP8TJvw

Try a little self improvement, kids.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

gleebster posted:

I know when the sun comes up and I know when the sun goes down. Anything else is the man trying to keep me under his thumb with his corporate railroad standard time.

yeah because a sundial doesnt look like a clock at all

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lol

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Are elementary school dropouts starting to code now?

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Most programmers need to be told this because they don't teach modulus arithmetic in school. You learn long division in grade 4 or whatever but they never come back to it and tell you what the remainder is about.

If you work as a programmer eventually you will come across this, I have more than once:

A guy writes code that divides by 10, subtracts the whole number part, then multiplies by 10, casts to an integer, and then does a case statement, like this:

code:
function isOdd(num) {
	num = (float) (num / 10.0) - (int) (num);
	num = (int) (num *10.0);

switch(num) {
		case 1,2,3,5,7,9:
			return true;
			break;
		case 0, 2, 4, 6, 8:
			return false;
			break;
	}
}
This is why computer folk are training their own replacements from countries that still teach math in school

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Lufiron posted:

yeah because a sundial doesnt look like a clock at all

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

reallivedinosaur posted:

Most programmers need to be told this because they don't teach modulus arithmetic in school. You learn long division in grade 4 or whatever but they never come back to it and tell you what the remainder is about.

If you work as a programmer eventually you will come across this, I have more than once:

A guy writes code that divides by 10, subtracts the whole number part, then multiplies by 10, casts to an integer, and then does a case statement, like this:

code:
function isOdd(num) {
	num = (float) (num / 10.0) - (int) (num);
	num = (int) (num *10.0);

switch(num) {
		case 1,2,3,5,7,9:
			return true;
			break;
		case 0, 2, 4, 6, 8:
			return false;
			break;
	}
}
This is why computer folk are training their own replacements from countries that still teach math in school

Or, you can memorize that 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 are odd numbers hahaha.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Snatch Duster posted:

Or, you can memorize that 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 are odd numbers hahaha.

You having it memorized isn't the same as a computer being able to tell whether a number is odd or even. The thing was about how to code something that would be able to tell. I don't think this was someone trying to write a program just to tell them whether a number is odd or even. They probably needed it as part of a bigger program and needed the computer to do something based upon the answer.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
dont you dare turn this into a programming thread

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Day Man posted:

You having it memorized isn't the same as a computer being able to tell whether a number is odd or even. The thing was about how to code something that would be able to tell. I don't think this was someone trying to write a program just to tell them whether a number is odd or even. They probably needed it as part of a bigger program and needed the computer to do something based upon the answer.

Check the source on enough websites and I promise you will find similar or the same code, or even stupider. Grids usually alternate colors for readability and such so simple odd/even or even Xth number tests are pretty common.

Even though there are CSS styles to handle it people just dont know and sometimes you just brute force your problem so you can get paid and go home. Unless you're getting paid by the hour who cares about textbook solutions.

Like sometimes it's not even that you're dumb, its just that you really don't care and tune out and are watching cartoons and typing on autopilot and just paste poo poo in from stack overflow, especially on website stuff.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Day Man posted:

no clue what you just said but lol ok fam

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Theres an app for that

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Theres an app for that

All these apps and poo poo make me think of those computers from Idiocracy that just have very big, colored buttons with easy to recognize symbols on them to do stuff. No one knows how that poo poo works, just press the buttons.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Mehrgol, 20, Student
The expression like a girl really bothers me, also I guess “like a boy.” I don’t like things that perpetuate stereotypes and I don’t like things that perpetuate traditional roles. Expressions like “be a man” “man up” “have some balls”–those bother me because I think that they attribute strength of will and soul to one biological branch. In the same way, “do this” like a girl usually tends to have a negative connotation in our culture, like “run like a girl…” Sometimes I’ll stress something and…one of the boys will say that’s for girls, and I’ll say why? Why is that for girls? I don’t understand.
…And I want to make it clear, I’m not trying to school anyone…I don’t believe in indoctrination, I don’t believe in anything like that at all. I think people have a right to their own opinions and I definitely don’t want to force them to accept mine…I try to talk it out, try to understand where they’re coming from.
11 months ago #yma#millennial#Young Millennial Adult#pittsburgh#feminism#gender

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
the hell kinda name is Mehrgol

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
Men and women two different biological branches.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Darth123123 posted:

sounds like some kind of evil elfish lord

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Darth123123 posted:

I'm guessing it started out as Marigold before it went through the retard concentration system that her parents have cobbled into a working mind.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Wedemeyer posted:

Mehrgol, 20, Student
The expression like a girl really bothers me, also I guess “like a boy.” I don’t like things that perpetuate stereotypes and I don’t like things that perpetuate traditional roles. Expressions like “be a man” “man up” “have some balls”–those bother me because I think that they attribute strength of will and soul to one biological branch. In the same way, “do this” like a girl usually tends to have a negative connotation in our culture, like “run like a girl…” Sometimes I’ll stress something and…one of the boys will say that’s for girls, and I’ll say why? Why is that for girls? I don’t understand.
…And I want to make it clear, I’m not trying to school anyone…I don’t believe in indoctrination, I don’t believe in anything like that at all. I think people have a right to their own opinions and I definitely don’t want to force them to accept mine…I try to talk it out, try to understand where they’re coming from.
11 months ago #yma#millennial#Young Millennial Adult#pittsburgh#feminism#gender
grow some balls, Mehrgol

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

????

naem
May 29, 2011

(s)MeagOl

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

reallivedinosaur posted:

Peoples natural reaction to anything they don't understand is fear and anger.

Further topics of study include sexism, racism, homophobia, religion, etc.

What I don't understand is how anybody can not know how to tell time. Lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuL9WP8TJvw

Try a little self improvement, kids.

A very intelligent 34 year old friend of mine who is a university lecturer couldn't tell the time with an analogue clock. It was a real WTF moment for me. She'd just never been taught it or bothered to learn. I'm a couple of years older and I distinctly remember learning how to tell the time at Infant School, from these books.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I was definitely taught clock reading and check writing in elementary school, and I'm only 27

In fact, the more I read SA the more impressed I am with my working class Dallas burb's public schools

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Dighan, 16
I have friends around the world and that’s my favorite thing because it lets me know that there’s love everywhere. I realize that I’m really lucky because I don’t have to write a letter and wait ten months to hear back from them. I have people texting me now from around the world, and that’s amazing. I think being a millennial is about being with it, with technology and with the world, and trying to be as in it as possible and I think I find that in myself by surrounding myself with people who inspire me from everywhere.

McGarrah, 17
I like making videos. I think they’re a lot of fun. I’m trying to make a documentary right now about teenagers and growing up and the college process. I think growing up is very interesting…you get hardened when you grow up and a lot of times it’s a bad thing and innocence is bliss, and I identify with that…I think I’m trying not to grow up because that scares me.

D.S. Kinsel, 29, is a native Pittsburgh artist
What advice would you give to millennials who are struggling?
Welcome to the real world. Welcome to real America.
So no sympathy?
gently caress no. gently caress no. No. Welcome to real America.
So what part of the term “millennial” do you buy into or don’t you buy into?
I mean I know it’s bad out here, but it’s been bad out here. But you can get it so many different ways now. And there’s money specifically for who you are, like you can justify someone funding you for support for who you are and that’s beautiful. Ask your grandmother about a grant. Ask your grandmother about a small business loan or about an incubator program or an investor. Come on man, for real.

Paul, 28, Marketing Coordinator
Well I guess I can tell you: I initially started doing drag and there was a part of me that ventured into potentially trans territory. I still day to day just go out presenting as male but there’s a concerned side of me that wonders if there’s something more than that and there is an intense gender fluidity that I have and that causes a lot of distress internally, especially with work. For anyone who is trans, the statistical likelihood of having difficulties with employment grows. Taking on that risk for me is horrifying.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Darth123123 posted:

Her grandma was an orc, don't judge

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Any functioning adult brain should grasp an analogue clock after 30 seconds of exposure to one

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Oh my God where are you finding this millennial gold?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
My roommate had a mini-meltdown of our rent increasing $50 per person/month.

He just bought a $180 ticket to a 2-day music festival. Eats out all the time. Complains about money.

:downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Wedemeyer posted:

McGarrah, 17
I like making videos. I think they’re a lot of fun. I’m trying to make a documentary right now about teenagers and growing up and the college process. I think growing up is very interesting…you get hardened when you grow up and a lot of times it’s a bad thing and innocence is bliss, and I identify with that…I think I’m trying not to grow up because that scares me.

I like making documentaries.

The effects of gentrification in zones with largely immigrant habitants in developed nations? gently caress no. I want to make a documentary about me

Me me meeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Locked thread