Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

should i open with the "dad drunk in his room with a shotgun" story, or the "spent over $10k on trying to build a scale steam engine" story, or the "told his son he was tempted to shoot the neighbor" story, or maybe the "hosed up his dead mom's estate so bad he almost went to jail" story

edit: or the "at his mother's funeral he cold ignored his only son" story

first and third please

my dad ignored me at his mothers funeral too but he's an rear end in a top hat and his mother was even worse and I literally only went because I knew my aunts would appreciate it so whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
personally I'm a fan of my "super obviously squeezed my ex-wife's boobs via a hug at our wedding, then said three more words to me" story

the three words were "So, open bar?"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

computer toucher posted:

tbh spending 10k to build a steam engine is yospos as gently caress.

he didn't even build it though! he paid like ten grand to get a frame cast, he never got anywhere close to having a boiler made, and i'm not sure he didn't get ripped off on the frame even - i'm not sure he could have towed that frame on a trailer with his pickup truck, he definitely couldn't have hauled it in the bed, and it was nowhere to be seen out at his mother's property when i went up there for the last time.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Literally The Worst posted:

first and third please

my dad ignored me at his mothers funeral too but he's an rear end in a top hat and his mother was even worse and I literally only went because I knew my aunts would appreciate it so whatever

my mom said like a year or two before they got divorced, she found him up waaay late at night sitting in his room with an empty case of beer and a loaded shotgun. she asked him why he had the shotgun out, and he slurred out "to protect me from the two of you". keep in mind i was like all of twelve or thirteen years old at this point, and to my knowledge i had never so much as raised my voice at my father, let alone raised a hand or given him any reason to think i would ever do harm to him. i think mom said he claimed to have not remembered it the next day.

so the other story. growing up, one of my friends as a young boy was this other boy who lived a couple houses down the street. he lived with his mom, who had been married to a guy who was supposedly in prison for attempted murder; he had been pulled over for being blatantly DUI and had supposedly tried to kill the arresting officer. the dude got out of prison several years after i'd met my friend, and he got back together with his wife and moved in.

i remember my dad talking, and now that i think about it he might have been drunk at the time, i remember dad saying that this guy was creeping him the gently caress out. dad claimed that the guy would watch him as he worked on his truck in the driveway, kept giving him the sideeye, stuff like that. i distinctly remember dad telling me, his preteen son, that if he really wanted to, he could shoot this other guy from so far away nobody would be able to prove it was him. my dad used to be an active hunter, he used to hunt deer (successfully), so i know he could shoot, but even as a kid it felt kinda weird hearing my dad basically wonder aloud whether it might be a good idea to pick a dude off before he could try anything.

of course, dad never did anything like that. he just got drunk a bunch, wound up cheating on my mom, and then permanently moving out to eastern oregon after he lost his bus driving job when he got busted for DUI.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

dad more like sad.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Can't spell noisebridge without the letters E and N.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
both my dad and mom are awesome people hth

maybe that's not very do-o-cratic but w/e

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

those bad dad stories are good YOSPOS material, start a thread :)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hmm no

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

oh my

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
fun fact: noisebridge is on the 3rd floor of their building

the second floor is a asian sweatshop

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
sweatshop workers turn up their noses at shitshop makers

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Slanderer posted:

fun fact: noisebridge is on the 3rd floor of their building

the second floor is a asian sweatshop

who buys asian sweat?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We are do-ocratizing the heck out of our new space now because dorks want to gather around and fantasize about putting licensed spaces on 10x15 moving platforms for hours on end. Nope, I'm just going to turn the closet currently storing broken wide format printers into a dim room for our screenprinting people and tape "no goddamn food" on the mini fridge and yell at people leaving rotting food containers in the space for a week.

We managed to move the entire contents of the old building into the new one in 10 days though (except for hectors massive screen printing machine, since the old landlords have physically blocked the path to the roll up door with walls 3 days into the move). For some reason we still took some of the giant unfunctional equipment with us (a mill, a heat press, various redundant woodworking tools), but we are aggressively encouraging people to remove it from the space now.

Also the previous leasers had a towing contract set up that they never removed. I found this out this weekend.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 9, 2016

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

who buys asian sweat?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

POSARI HIKI :finland:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Also the previous leasers had a towing contract set up that they never removed. I found this out this weekend.

how much did it cost you

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Ebin.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Jerry Cotton posted:

who buys asian sweat?

lonely lifer businessmen, from a vending machine in the train station

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I bought a brick of powdered sweat. I'm going to mix it with club soda and make fizzy sweat water.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i just buy my club soda in a can

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ayn rand hand job posted:

how much did it cost you

We argued it down to $30

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I watched a man poop on the lawn of the towing company while I waited

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I watched a man poop on the lawn of the towing company while I waited

so this is how maker spaces are born...

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

I have a MacbookPro that I keep reasonably secure (well, as reasonably as one can without controlling the OS yourself and without the ability to completely trust Apple's security). Within those parameters, I would like to block my USB Devices.

I know that I can physically block my devices with a tool such as these:

* http://cdn.opentip.com/Electronics/Lindy-Usb-Port-Blocker-Pack-p-1971183.html

* http://www.kensington.com/us/us/4483/lock-anchor-points-accessories#.VsjNYZMrJE7

[It's not clear to me, however, how easily I could remove the USB block with the provided keys. Or, if what I'm about to explain below is already solved in the above solution.]

I would like is a device that would allow me to take my tin hat off when I want to. For example, a physical block like above that would allow a connection into it and pass the connection to the USB port inside.

Physical keys (although they can be picked) generally allow only one physical connection to perform a function (turning the lock). Is there a USB Port blocker like above that would take it's own unique insertion, passing the connection through the blocked USB device.

I would wish to use the device by placing it (as an adaptor) on a USB key that I trust and then plugging that into the port blocked device. This would allow some of the convenience of using USB as long as one had the connector that would convert a USB to be connected to the blocked port. This would allow a moderate increase in physical security -- at least one would need to remove the blocked port and bypass the adaptor key to plug in a USB device.

In summary, my macbook USB ports would all be "port blocked" with a plug. And, each time I wanted to use USB, I simply took out my adaptor key, placed it on the USB device in question, and then inserted it into the "blocked port".

i don't understand what this person wants but i can tell it's pretty loving stupid

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I think he's trying to make a device that combines the worst of both physical and digital security

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

why

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
So that instead of having a key on his keyring so he can take out the port block, he has an adapter on his keyring so he can awkwardly plug something into the port block. Because this is a serious problem.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I can't tell if he's concerned about someone else sticking things in his USB ports or if he just lacks the willpower to not insert things on his own. :confused:

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

minivanmegafun posted:

I can't tell if he's concerned about someone else sticking things in his USB ports or if he just lacks the willpower to not insert things on his own. :confused:

the chastity USBelt

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

cuckbook pro

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
so if you remember that crazy woman who got kicked out of noisebridge for being too crazy even for them? well it turns out it IS an acquaintance of mine, who went and blew up multiple friendships with people and trashed some people's houses and was living rent free at one couple's place and managed to destroy her room and everything. apparently the sheriff is now involved, as well as local mental health authorities.

typical noise bridger!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
one of my students is working on an industrial safety/workplace hygiene project and i'm tempted to send her to noisebridge as an example of how to do everything wrong

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Beast of Bourbon posted:

so if you remember that crazy woman who got kicked out of noisebridge for being too crazy even for them? well it turns out it IS an acquaintance of mine, who went and blew up multiple friendships with people and trashed some people's houses and was living rent free at one couple's place and managed to destroy her room and everything. apparently the sheriff is now involved, as well as local mental health authorities.

typical noise bridger!

sever

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Beast of Bourbon posted:

typical noise bridger!
was this the "die techie scum" lady or someone else?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Beast of Bourbon posted:

so if you remember that crazy woman who got kicked out of noisebridge for being too crazy even for them?

you'll have to narrow it down

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
no, she was the sewing lady who would scream PTSD if men were within eyesight of her.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

men are pigs

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

BONGHITZ posted:

cismales are pigs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All social contact is rape. BRB locking myself in the basement to avoid the filthy stares of wymny

• Locked thread