Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Sega's got a new survey to gauge public perception and interest. One of the questions asks to present 3 words that the survey taker would use to describe Sega, as a company.

My words...

Stubborn
Unambitious
Reminiscent

what a sad time for sega

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Personally I prefer the american version

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Grimace posted:

Sega's got a new survey to gauge public perception and interest. One of the questions asks to present 3 words that the survey taker would use to describe Sega, as a company.

My words...

Stubborn
Unambitious
Reminiscent

what a sad time for sega

I can't remember my three words, but I know one of them was "Inconsistent." Yours are better than the ones I probably ended up using.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
This is the best general chat thread we've had. The other one never stood a chance against these MS Paints.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

VideoGames posted:

This is the best general chat thread we've had. The other one never stood a chance against these MS Paints.

:yeah:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

limaCAT posted:

Yo guys, requests?

Ganon awkwardly thirdwheeling a date between Bowser and Peach

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

VideoGames posted:

you dont even know how good mine wouldve been. you aborted it before it had a chance at life. i hate u with everything in me

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Broseph Brostar posted:

Peach awkwardly thirdwheeling a date between Bowser and Ganon

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Stux posted:

you dont even know how good mine wouldve been. you aborted it before it had a chance at life. i hate u with everything in me

I did not abort your thread Stux. It was not me. I hope we can move past this misunderstanding and heal.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I told Sega I liked Phantasy Star and Shinobi and would love to see a more traditional Phantasy Star title or a new Shinobi game in the vein of Bayonetta! I hope they read my very important feedback and only my feedback and act on it.

Also why isn't Shining Force/the Shining franchise on the giant list of Sega games you can check to say you enjoyed.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The Shining franchise died I the PS2 era when Sega put the "Shining" name on a bunch of terrible low effort fantasy games that had almost nothing to do with SF. It's unfortunate too because it was a series that pretty much had no bad entries. Maybe with FE becoming more of a thing, Sega will do something new. God I would kill for a translated SFIII trilogy. It'll probably never happen though.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Stux posted:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Stop hating, Stux

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

VideoGames posted:

This is the best general chat thread we've had.
This compliment's so backhanded it could beat Luigi at tennis.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

axleblaze posted:

The Shining franchise died I the PS2 era when Sega put the "Shining" name on a bunch of terrible low effort fantasy games that had almost nothing to do with SF. It's unfortunate too because it was a series that pretty much had no bad entries. Maybe with FE becoming more of a thing, Sega will do something new. God I would kill for a translated SFIII trilogy. It'll probably never happen though.

I have a friend who thinks sega jrpgs are better than snes jrpgs and he is wrong, that is my contribution to this discussion about shining force.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Waaa

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

This compliment's so backhanded it could beat Luigi at tennis.

:sweatdrop:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I hope everybody is having a good day on this wigger wednesday

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
SNES RPGs are super bad unless you enjoy boilerplate fantasy settings and samey combat systems though. The only interesting ones like Earthbound and SMT are horribly outdated at this point and the latter didn't even get a release outside of Japan.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I told Sega I liked Phantasy Star and Shinobi and would love to see a more traditional Phantasy Star title or a new Shinobi game in the vein of Bayonetta! I hope they read my very important feedback and only my feedback and act on it.

Also why isn't Shining Force/the Shining franchise on the giant list of Sega games you can check to say you enjoyed.

I like that they had House of the Dead on there twice.

At one point there was a text box where you could put all of your favorite Sega games. I haven't played a lot of Sega games beyond the original Sonic trilogy but I made sure to include games I hardly played but still thought were fun, like Space Harrier and Golden Axe. The only game post-S3&K I put on the list was Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. I forgot about Shining Force though! If I had remembered I would have wrote that too, but I don't think the games were actually developed by Sega.

We were thinking the other day that Sega really shines in the arcade. All of their huge hits were arcade games aside from the Sonic and Phantasy Star, and even then Sonic Generations and the aforementioned kart racer are very arcadey and they're the best things to emerge from the franchise in a long goddamn while. A whopping majority of Sega Classics are arcade hits like Space Harrier, House of the Dead, Shinobi, and Golden Axe. Then they had a few console hits (most of them sleepers that nobody ever played) that would feel right at home in an arcade cabinet such as Rez, Jet Set Radio, and Chu Chu Rocket.

So how many great Sega games/franchises can we name that aren't those? I know there's a lot, but I feel like it's going to be a relatively short list. Then there's stuff like TJ&E, Gunstar Heroes, Bayonetta, Mad World, etc. that are games published/distributed by Sega but not actually developed by them.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Junpei Hyde posted:

Broseph Brostar posted:

Peach awkwardly thirdwheeling a date between Bowser and Ganon

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Live A Live, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG and Soul Blazer are great

Secret of Mana has wonky combat but it's also alright

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Lady Naga posted:

SNES RPGs are super bad unless you enjoy boilerplate fantasy settings and samey combat systems though. The only interesting ones like Earthbound and SMT are horribly outdated at this point and the latter didn't even get a release outside of Japan.

You never played Chrono Trigger.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Colonel posted:

All of SoM's combat shittiness was fixed in SD3 and it's a shame that game never saw the light of day on English-speaking soil because it's really good.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

The Colonel posted:

Live A Live, Chrono Trigger and Soul Blazer are great

Oh, if we want to bring in Action JRPGs Secret of Evermore was good (basically it made up with tons of charisma what it lost not being japanese and not being an unique, coherent world), but Seiken Densetsu 3 was one of the best action jrpgs. (Play it patched).
Also I loved the two later games by Quintet: Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

limaCAT posted:

You never played Chrono Trigger.

I played about a third of Chrono Trigger and had zero clue why anyone liked it as much as they did since it played almost exactly like FF6 and was still boilerplate fantasy but with a time travel gimmick.

Oh there was that trial where you get judged for doing standard RPG type things because from the outside you look like a crazy person stealing sandwiches and dragging women by their arm. That was pretty cool, too bad it went right back to gobbledygook about hyper advanced machines and airships and poo poo.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 2, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

I'm gonna shove you into a locker.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
i enjoy video games

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Lurdiak likes what Lady Naga don't.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Lurdiak posted:

Hey if you enjoy bland-rear end fantasy settings with alienating character dialogue feat. Active Time Battles more power to you, that's 60-100 hours of extra game time you get to use to escape the soul-crushing inevitability of death that I don't get.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Lady Naga posted:

I played about a third of Chrono Trigger and had zero clue why anyone liked it as much as they did since it played almost exactly like FF6 and was still boilerplate fantasy but with a time travel gimmick.

Oh there was that trial where you get judged for doing standard RPG type things because from the outside you look like a crazy person stealing sandwiches and dragging women by their arm. That was pretty cool, too bad it went right back to gobbledygook about hyper advanced machines and airships and poo poo.

Look at this RPG hipster that can't admit that FF4 and 6 were cool and had influential steampunk fantasy settings and FF5 was a great job class game because Final Fantasy is too mainstream, or something. Look at them and judge them!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
final fantasy is cool

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
i am glad that i can enjoy snes rpgs for what they are: good games

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

bloodychill posted:

Look at this RPG hipster that can't admit that FF4 and 6 were cool and had influential steampunk fantasy settings and FF5 was a great job class game because Final Fantasy is too mainstream, or something. Look at them and judge them!

Final Fantasy got really cool once it started using contemporaneous/near future settings.

FirstAidKite posted:

i am glad that i can enjoy snes rpgs for what they are: good games
No, sorry.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

limaCAT posted:

Seiken Densetsu 3 was one of the best action jrpgs. (Play it patched).

By this do you mean "play the English translation?" or is there another patch I'm unaware of?

Lady Naga posted:

No, sorry.

I'm genuinely curious over which, if any, SNES JRPGs you consider "good" if Chrono Trigger isn't one of them :confused:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Illusion of Gaia was really neato.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I thought Illusion of Gaia was really neato.
The translation is really weird but I loved IoG so much. Chrono Trigger is still pretty special, though!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Mak0rz posted:

By this do you mean "play the English translation?" or is there another patch I'm unaware of?

I'm genuinely curious over which, if any, SNES JRPGs you consider "good" if Chrono Trigger isn't one of them :confused:

I...Don't really? That's what my point is. They're all the same exact poo poo and if you don't like one you probably won't like any.

The first few Shin Megami Tenseis are the closest I get to "liking" any RPG on the SNES and even those suffer a lot by being horribly outdated.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lufia 1 is rough, but Lufia 2 is a great game. I love that it has the central cast just settle down with their lives after beating what they think is the final boss, then like years later the bad guys return. That's so great. I loved the puzzle dungeons where the enemies only move if you do, too.

I don't feel the need to argue in favor of Chrono Trigger, its status as Best jrpg is self-evident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Undertale fan: I hate all of the games from whence this game was inspired.

• Locked thread