Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Vidaeus posted:

Anything for Rebel Galaxy? Just started.

Grab yourself a wingman from any bar ASAP, they make a huge difference early on.

Get out of the starter system as soon as you can, loot and quest rewards are way better from the second system on.

The galaxy is randomly generated so planets won't be the same between different playthroughs.

Enemy difficulty is based off your highest equipped ship gear, so having 1 mk3 weapon and everything else mk2 will make things harder for you, upgrade stuff evenly

Upgrading your equipment makes a bigger difference than a bigger ship. The starter you should leave ASAP but focus on filling out your equipment slots before getting a bigger ship.

Blockade missions are toughest but give the greatest payouts. You'll have to outfit your ship in specific ways to be able to break through blockades but once you figure something that works for you it has the fastest payouts of any mission type.

You can set your wingman/individual weapons to fire at only certain kinds of targets. Remember there is a difference between autolocking and manually locking onto things (mainly, if you set a weapon to fire on your locked target only, it won't fire on the auto, or softlock).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

In Fire Emblem Fates you can choose to play in classic, casual, or phoenix modes, all with different rules regarding permadeath. However, there are certain story-important characters who won't die, even on classic. If they fall in battle, they will be "wounded" and no longer participate in battles or chill at your castle, but they will still show up in cutscenes.

So even if one of your royal siblings or whomever dies, you don't have to freak out and reset so as not to miss out on story beats.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Vidaeus posted:

Anything for Rebel Galaxy? Just started.
Get out of the first system as soon as you can, a lot more options open up once you do. Follow the plot and you'll get there. The Icarus makes a fantastic upgrade to your starting ship and it can carry you through a large chunk of the game, certainly far enough for you to decide what you like on your own. Join the Merchant Guild asap: their missions pay out tons of money and their Dead Drops are probably the fastest way to earn cash if you stay on top of upgrading your shields and engines. Early on, your mining turrets (get these) will probably feel like they're doing more damage than your broadsides. That's okay, they are, just get in close and let them carve things up for you. As your ship and the targets you're fighting get bigger, you'll want to diversify your turrets a bit and you'll rely on broadsides a lot more.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Xinlum posted:

Would be great if someone added this to the wiki, as if I knew this I would have had a much better time with the game. Metal Gear Rising - The PC version must be run at a steady 60FPS. If the game runs any slower the timing on parry moves, quicktime events, and blade mode is a lot tighter, making the game much tougher as a result and making the final blade mode attack against the final boss be literally impossible.

No problem - added.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Thanks for the Rebel Galaxy tips guys!

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Also thanks for the handful of FE: Fates tips. Made sure to get that Kaze support up just in time.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Grim Dawn, is there anything to pay attention to before starting? Is it a "find and follow a build" type of game or can you intuit or improvise or respec your way through the game without much trouble?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Thanks for all the Dishonored tips! I'm really enjoying it, and looking forward to an ultraviolent, kill-everyone run after this one...

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

double nine posted:

Grim Dawn, is there anything to pay attention to before starting? Is it a "find and follow a build" type of game or can you intuit or improvise or respec your way through the game without much trouble?

In the first camp, the one you start outside of, there's a guy in the upper right who will let you respec. You pay by the point, so it's more useful for "Am I going to like this skill?" than reworking your entire build, but it's still pretty nice to have. For the constellations points you get from shrines, just have a general idea of what you want to do with your character and then take a look at the various constellation bonuses. They tend to be grouped by color, so if you see a bunch of caster stuff in the green section, you're probably safe to check out other colors on your melee fighter.

Beyond that, have you played action RPGs before? Then you know what's going on here. I don't recall any real traps or gently caress yous to be aware of.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anybody have anything for Arx Fatalis? The wiki seems a little sparse.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

double nine posted:

The consensus seems to be that you can run almost any build in the first two difficulties, but you might run into roadblocks on Ultimate.

Zaodai posted:

For the constellations points you get from shrines, just have a general idea of what you want to do with your character and then take a look at the various constellation bonuses. They tend to be grouped by color, so if you see a bunch of caster stuff in the green section, you're probably safe to check out other colors on your melee fighter.
This is generally true, but I wouldn't follow it 100% to the letter. If a constellation gives you affinity points towards unlocking another constellation you want and gives you an ability you want but doesn't necessarily synergize with your character otherwise, brah, take it. It's a nice way to shore up your weaknesses, and some give you great passives like "lowers <stat> requirement for equipment by 10%"--a great way to put armor that doesn't suck on a gunner or spellcaster.

Another really important thing to remember is that once you complete a constellation and gets its affinity points, you can take the point out of Crossroads. The affinity points you get from completing your first constellation will recursively count towards qualifying for itself, so you don't need to keep points wasted in the center. This isn't a glitch, you're intended to do this but the game doesn't do a good job of letting you know it's possible.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Danger Mahoney posted:

Anybody have anything for Arx Fatalis? The wiki seems a little sparse.

Arx Libertatis makes it play nice on modern systems and fixes some bugs.

If you're not going to be wizard enough to be able to cast Levitation yourself, be careful with levitation scrolls. You'll need it to reach some areas in the late game and some treasures earlier on.

Everything will be a bit shaky at first until you make your way to the big human settlement and get a chance to stock up on supplies. Power through. It's not until you get there that you'll get reliable access to potionmaking, a wider range of spells, heavy armor, competent weapons of every type, and a broad range of consumables.

Spellcasting is really funky until you understand it. It's not about making the glyph as the game shows it to you, it only cares about the corners. Your lines can be any length (shorter is faster and more reliable), you just have to pause a fraction of a second, and then start your next stroke at a clear angle to your last.

There also several spells you can cast the game never directly tells you about. You can look them up, but you can also discover them by figuring out the grammar and meaning of the spell runes and extrapolating from there.

It's a very old-school game. Be sure you can put up with that.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

So I'm probably getting the next 3 rear end Creed games today (2, Brotherhood, Revelations). Can someone explain the difference between singular copies and the Ezio trilogy? From what I can find out ET comes with dlc for 2 which should make it slightly cheaper than individual games (and it will take up less shelf space). I'd be getting used copies most likely so really I'm trying to find out about single use codes and the like.

edit: Didn't see anything about Uplay Passport (which is a thing that I heard existed at one point) on PSN.

juliuspringle fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 28, 2016

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Male Man posted:

Arx Libertatis makes it play nice on modern systems and fixes some bugs.

If you're not going to be wizard enough to be able to cast Levitation yourself, be careful with levitation scrolls. You'll need it to reach some areas in the late game and some treasures earlier on.

Everything will be a bit shaky at first until you make your way to the big human settlement and get a chance to stock up on supplies. Power through. It's not until you get there that you'll get reliable access to potionmaking, a wider range of spells, heavy armor, competent weapons of every type, and a broad range of consumables.

Spellcasting is really funky until you understand it. It's not about making the glyph as the game shows it to you, it only cares about the corners. Your lines can be any length (shorter is faster and more reliable), you just have to pause a fraction of a second, and then start your next stroke at a clear angle to your last.

There also several spells you can cast the game never directly tells you about. You can look them up, but you can also discover them by figuring out the grammar and meaning of the spell runes and extrapolating from there.

It's a very old-school game. Be sure you can put up with that.
Also BeforeIPlay's section makes it sound like there is only one Akbaa Stone, but there are multiple. And you need all of them to complete the game. Definitely a thing everyone should know before playing the game for the first time.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dr. Quarex posted:

Also BeforeIPlay's section makes it sound like there is only one Akbaa Stone, but there are multiple. And you need all of them to complete the game. Definitely a thing everyone should know before playing the game for the first time.

I did those last three paragraphs 6 years ago when I was super pissed off at the game and I'd like to refine them to make them simpler!

-To beat the game you must find 5 Akbaa stones. Three of them are located in the Temple of Akbaa, a dungeon you go through about midway through the game. If you pick the stones up then keep them in your inventory or drop them in an easily accessible location. All objects in this game have permanence so they'll stay wherever you drop them.

-Level 4 has a barrier blocking a cave. This is the final dungeon and you shouldn't drop the barrier until you're ready. Within are two enemies, one of them will run away immediately and he has the fourth Akbaa stone. The fifth stone is in the final dungeon and can't be missed.

-Object Knowledge is the most important skill. It lets you equip better items and is the only means to identify magic. The most efficient tactic is to hold on to unidentified item until you level up then put enough points to identify what you currently have. Expect to get 70 if you want to identify everything.

-Close combat is the second most important skill regardless of character build. 30 is optimal, 40 lets you equip everything.

-You'll want to work on getting 30 points in casting regardless of build. Fireball is a level 3 spell and the most useful for all characters.

-8 strength lets you equip over half of the game's armor and weapons. 14 is the minimum strength to wield everything.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ahhh that's the good stuff. Thanks.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

juliuspringle posted:

So I'm probably getting the next 3 rear end Creed games today (2, Brotherhood, Revelations). Can someone explain the difference between singular copies and the Ezio trilogy? From what I can find out ET comes with dlc for 2 which should make it slightly cheaper than individual games (and it will take up less shelf space). I'd be getting used copies most likely so really I'm trying to find out about single use codes and the like.

The DLC for AC2 covers two chapters near the end of the game that were originally cut for time. They're decent but not essential.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Anything for Lord of Vermilion for Genesis?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

FanaticalMilk posted:

Anything for Lord of Vermilion for Genesis?

If this is actually Sword, then:

Before leaving Keltwick, stock up on as many expensive non-sword items as you can that can be sold back. Something very bad happens to you in the next town. That something pays off BIG later, but it leaves in a bad position for the immediate time. You'll need those big expensive items.

In another town, a kindly old lady offers you some soup. Be sure to be stocked up on dungeon-diving equipment BEFORE you accept. Something about that soup just doesn't sit right, and you'll need to go somewhere to take care of it.

Edit: forgot the prime rule of Old school RPGs: TALK TO EVERYONE! talk until their dialogue repeats. talk if their environment changes. talk if you've left and come back. this rule is super-important in SoV because NPCs are the source of overworld maps in the game. without them, you're just running around blind and getting mauled by kobolds.

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 29, 2016

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Ok so I could really use some general tips for Fire Emblem: Fates. Assume that I'm a complete idiot when it comes to these games (which I am), so even if something seems minor I could still use the help.

To clarify a little, I played and almost beat Awakening so I'm not totally unfamiliar with how the games work. That said I feel like I have absolutely no grasp on strategy other than the basic weapon wheel. This leads to a lot of frustration and it is making the game not very fun.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

Ok so I could really use some general tips for Fire Emblem: Fates. Assume that I'm a complete idiot when it comes to these games (which I am), so even if something seems minor I could still use the help.

To clarify a little, I played and almost beat Awakening so I'm not totally unfamiliar with how the games work. That said I feel like I have absolutely no grasp on strategy other than the basic weapon wheel. This leads to a lot of frustration and it is making the game not very fun.

Play on one of the modes (either Phoenix or Casual) that makes it so your people don't permanently die in battle. With permadeath gone, Birthright is actually pretty easy since you can always grind random world map battles for XP for your units. With Conquest, you can't do the world map grinding, but you can infinitely replay and DLC maps you own and I'm pretty sure you can fight as many castle battles as you want if you need XP.

There are two ways units cooperate on the field: by being adjacent and by standing in the same square as another unit (pairing up).
  • Paired units: Only the primary unit will actually fight in battle. The secondary character adds a stat boost (shown when you pair up), automatically blocks any enemy team attacks and will block the enemy's primary attack if your little shield meter is full.
  • Adjacent units: Both units will attack the enemy you target. No other stat or defense bonuses. As long as the target is in range for the primary unit, the adjacent unit can attack too (so even if you've got a bow and your buddy has a sword, your buddy will run up and slice the bad guy even if he's not really in range from the square he's standing in).

The X button will toggle a purple overlay showing what squares are within the enemy's attack range next turn. Unless you're pressed for time for some reason, you can just be an rear end and park your guys 1 square out of range (or only 1 square in) and generally bait the enemy to come attack you. The precise effect of the overlay is something you can fiddle with in the options menu.

There's a special kind of item called a 'seal'. Master seals promote a unit to an advanced class. Heart seals promote a unit to another of that unit's 'base' classes (it's weird and character specific). There's also seals that can promote a unit into the classes of their lover / best friend (but I forget what they're called). In general, you probably want to level a unit in whatever class it came in until it hits level 20. At this point it'll usually say that it's reached max xp. That's when you want to use a master seal. There are some units that start out the game in an advanced class, those can usually keep gaining XP at level 20 and cap at either 30 or 40. You'll know an advanced class unit when you see it because even though it looks like it's low level, it horrifically murders the poo poo out of other people and it gets gently caress all for XP compared to your other normal units of that level.

There's a nice lady who can 'Sing' which grants an extra turn to a unit that's already acted. It's as overpowered and ridiculous as it sounds and bringing that lady along to every battle is worth it even though she's basically useless on her own.

Multiplayer castle visit stuff:
  • Each player has two ratings: visit points and battle points. Each kind of points gets you rewards as you hit various point thresholds.
  • Visit points are gained by (each applies): visiting a castle (duh), rating a castle, giving the host an accessory item. Note: When you give another player an accessory item, you don't lose it, so you should always give people poo poo.
  • Battle points are gained by: fighting them, either in their castle or yours
  • Visiting other players castles also allows you to buy poo poo at their shops, get free stuff from their resource generators (so free food / gems), or gamble in their battle arena. The free stuff from their resource generators doesn't kick you out of their castle, so make sure to grab that first. Also make sure you rate them and give them an accessory before you buy something or gamble because those kick you out when you're done.

Pay attention to your actual objectives (shown on the map screen). It's not always 'kill all the dudes' and in some maps, there will be bad guys who will pound your head in if you try to mess with them.

This is probably too basic, but you can beat the game pretty easily as long as you keep your dudes together (sometimes you'll want to divide your army in half, but lone wolves get murdered), put beefy dudes up front, ranged attackers in the second row, healers in the back. If there's a narrow area between you and the bad dudes, try to block it so they can't rush you all at once. Basic tactical strategy stuff. There's nothing in the game that's super unusual.

You can pretty much ignore the weapon wheel stuff. The only really important thing is that some weapons get a lot of bonus damage vs certain unit types (like archers murder the poo poo out of flying horses, there are specific weapons that do bonus damage to knights, etc). If your current unit is vulnerable to an enemy weapon, that enemy will have an exclamation point on them. Don't ignore that, because they will probably one hit kill you. On the opposite side of that, make sure to take advantage of those weapon/unit pairings when they're in your favor if it won't expose your units too much.

The game's equipment optimization feature is good and you should probably always use it. It loads your dudes up with a shitload of weapons because the way the game's weapons work a higher tier weapon isn't better in all aspects than a lower tier weapon. Ex: a steel sword does more damage but has worse chances of hitting than an iron sword. After you target a dude, you can rotate through all the weapons you're holding to see which ones offer you the best chance of hitting, how much they'll do and if you'll get 2 attacks or not.

Don't sell old weapons. You can 'forge' them which basically takes 2 weapons +X and gets you 1 weapon of X+1. A weapon with an extra plus is better in every way than it was before. Since a +4 weapon is going to require you sacrificing 16 base weapons, hanging on to old poo poo is always the right call. Also for the forge and the weapon shop, the person staffing it matters. If the person currently on staff can use the weapon you're buying/forging it will be cheaper or require 1 fewer raw material to forge (minimum 1 material). Staff rotates every battle and I think every save/load, so you can fiddle with that if you're forging higher tier stuff and don't have a lot of the material. Remember that you get those materials by visiting other players' castles.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 1, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Castle battles and DLC don't give experience in Conquest, actually. (Except the DLC specifically for grinding experience, if you want to basically cheat.)

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Castle battles and DLC don't give experience in Conquest, actually. (Except the DLC specifically for grinding experience, if you want to basically cheat.)

Castle battles do and don't give EXP in Birthright. You don't get any experience for killing enemies or breaking structures, but using Staves/Rods and Singing do give the normal amount. It's a pain-free way of grinding up healing units and Azura, especially if you pick on some piddly low level Castle.

Doing Castle battles is good regardless, since it lets you buy skills for units at a steep discount so long as a)it's a unit you currently have (so no buying skills for Nohr characters if you're Hoshido) and b)that unit was one of the Castle defenders.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Bedurndurn posted:

There's a nice lady who can 'Sing' which grants an extra turn to a unit that's already acted. It's as overpowered and ridiculous as it sounds and bringing that lady along to every battle is worth it even though she's basically useless on her own.

I dunno. Maybe it's just because I'm only 11 missions in, but she's perfectly fine on my team with a Raider Naginata. Still prefer using Sing, sure, but grabbing the kill for a little extra XP has helped keep her on the higher end of my level curve.

Edit: Although, I have a thing for using units in combat that really weren't meant for it. I did the same thing with the Dancer in Awakening, turning her into a murderous Swordmaster.

Onean fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Mar 2, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Azura has completely stupid dumb str/skl/spd growths (high for a melee unit, let alone a support unit) so she can do a TON of damage if you get her weapon rank up a bit. It's just she tends to be made of paper so you need to be a bit careful with her regardless.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm replaying XCOM: Enemy Within, and I'm wondering--how many mandatory live alien captures do you need to do to complete the game? I know that for the most part they're optional, they just give you research credits, but there's at least one mandatory one you have to do as part of an objective, I can't remember if there are any more.

I played Enemy Unknown ages ago, but never finished Enemy Within. Playing XCOM 2 gave me the bug to play it again.

bpACH
Apr 5, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm replaying XCOM: Enemy Within, and I'm wondering--how many mandatory live alien captures do you need to do to complete the game? I know that for the most part they're optional, they just give you research credits, but there's at least one mandatory one you have to do as part of an objective, I can't remember if there are any more.

I played Enemy Unknown ages ago, but never finished Enemy Within. Playing XCOM 2 gave me the bug to play it again.

It depends on if you are using second wave options or not.

Without any second wave options, you only need to capture 2: 1 of any alien type and 1 outsider.

If you are using the 'The Greater Good' second wave option, it makes it so that you have to interrogate a Sectoid Commander or Ethereal as well (they won't show up until after the alien base assault, so they can't count towards the '1 of any alien type' requirement).

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Finally finished the original Assassin's Creed and immediately moved onto the second one. This one I've actually beaten before (back when it was new) but I haven't played it since then. Besides tailors, blacksmiths, doctors, art merchants and so on what are the big changes from the original game?

Is it possible to miss anything by Assassin's Creed Legacy (the facebook thing that used to exist) no longer existing and not having access to a PSP (along with whatever game was on PSP) obviously I'll miss things but I what I mean is is the absence noticeable? Like how in the one game you had all these chests you couldn't open without some app.

Finally, after Revelations (eventually) which game do I play? I'm confused as to timeline. I hear 4 comes before 3 which something in between chronologically but I don't know if that's historical timeline or modern timeline.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

juliuspringle posted:

Finally finished the original Assassin's Creed and immediately moved onto the second one. This one I've actually beaten before (back when it was new) but I haven't played it since then. Besides tailors, blacksmiths, doctors, art merchants and so on what are the big changes from the original game?

Is it possible to miss anything by Assassin's Creed Legacy (the facebook thing that used to exist) no longer existing and not having access to a PSP (along with whatever game was on PSP) obviously I'll miss things but I what I mean is is the absence noticeable? Like how in the one game you had all these chests you couldn't open without some app.

Finally, after Revelations (eventually) which game do I play? I'm confused as to timeline. I hear 4 comes before 3 which something in between chronologically but I don't know if that's historical timeline or modern timeline.

Historically, chronologically, 4 comes before 3, and rogue comes after 4. The modern timeline proceeds chronologically with each progressive game, though.

And thank you for the XCOM knowledge! Glad to know I'm safe to put away my stun rods now.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

PantsBandit posted:

Another really basic Fire Emblem thing that nobody has mentioned: the stats that a character gains on level-up are semi-randomized. Basically every character has a hidden set of "growth rates" for every stat, and every time they level up, they may or may not gain stats based on these rates. So for example, your main character might have a Str growth rate of 50% (I'm making this number up). Every time they level up, there's a 50% chance their Str will go up by 1. But because it's random chance, there's no guarantee that the main character will gain Str ever. They probably would gain a good amount with a 50% rate, but they could just as easily get hosed by bad luck.

Fire Emblem rosters are pretty big, so you're going to have some characters that get stat-hosed. It happens and it's part of the game. If one of your regulars isn't performing as well as the rest of the team, there's nothing wrong with benching them and pulling out someone else.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

juliuspringle posted:

Ignore the historical timeline and stick to the modern one. The whole point of Assassin's Creed is that they were digging in an ancestor's timeline for something relevant to the present-day war between Abstergo and the Assassins.

The actual release order (the one you should play them in) is 3, 4, Rogue, Unity, Syndicate.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I’m going to play the Long War mod for XCOM: Enemy Within and given its massive scope, insane popularity and famed difficulty, I think it probably deserves its own section on the wiki article!!! Anyone got some general hints and tips?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Ainsley McTree posted:

And thank you for the XCOM knowledge! Glad to know I'm safe to put away my stun rods now.

You should keep at least one, because stunning enemies is bad-rear end, because the bonuses are pretty good, and because its funny when you stun exalt.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I picked up the Resident Evil bundle on PS4 yesterday and I'd like some advice. I can't open the wiki while at work, but I'll be checking it out when I get home. I've never been very good at the RE games before 4, and I always wind up running out of ammo and herbs while running between areas trying to guess what items I'm going to need to solve the next puzzle. I started RE1 with Jill and died to the first zombie because I was trying to find a way to kill them without using half a magazine's worth of bullets. Then I almost died the second time trying to do the same thing. Is there a reliable way to get headshots, and is there any other advice for someone going in RE1 and 0 as a newbie?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

I picked up the Resident Evil bundle on PS4 yesterday and I'd like some advice. I can't open the wiki while at work, but I'll be checking it out when I get home. I've never been very good at the RE games before 4, and I always wind up running out of ammo and herbs while running between areas trying to guess what items I'm going to need to solve the next puzzle. I started RE1 with Jill and died to the first zombie because I was trying to find a way to kill them without using half a magazine's worth of bullets. Then I almost died the second time trying to do the same thing. Is there a reliable way to get headshots, and is there any other advice for someone going in RE1 and 0 as a newbie?

Haha, throw away everything you learned in Resident Evil 4 and beyond because it's completely different here. The game is about conservation and you probably don't get near enough resources to kill every single enemy before running out of ammo. This is by design! This is applicable to the HD remake. I haven't played RE0 but the same rules probably apply.

-As a general rule, dodge zombies in hallways and kill them in small rooms if you must. Zombies are so easy to dodge that there's no real reason to waste your ammo.

-If you're having trouble avoiding enemies with tank/classic controls then use the new control scheme which lets you move in any direction instantly.

-A classic trick is to shoot a zombie until it falls then either run around it, let it grab your leg resulting in a head stomp (you'll take light damage), or knife it as it gets up which usually causes it to fall before it can grab you again.

-If you do kill a zombie and you didn't destroy its head or legs, burn the body.

-There's no reliable head shot with the pistol, it's a random "critical hit" thing. Aiming up with the shotgun point blank will always take out the head.

-If you avoided zombies then you'll be set for ammo by late game where a new, stronger enemy commonly appears.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Bedurndurn posted:

The game's equipment optimization feature is good and you should probably always use it. It loads your dudes up with a shitload of weapons because the way the game's weapons work a higher tier weapon isn't better in all aspects than a lower tier weapon. Ex: a steel sword does more damage but has worse chances of hitting than an iron sword. After you target a dude, you can rotate through all the weapons you're holding to see which ones offer you the best chance of hitting, how much they'll do and if you'll get 2 attacks or not.

Just started using this myself now that I've got a decently sized army. It's good, but I wanted to note that while it assigns units their unique weapons it doesn't take into fact things like Subaki's Pike's double Mt with higher skill. Keep in mind your special weapons to make sure they're getting used.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I’m going to play the Long War mod for XCOM: Enemy Within and given its massive scope, insane popularity and famed difficulty, I think it probably deserves its own section on the wiki article!!! Anyone got some general hints and tips?

you should download my long war mods: http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/users/2177762/?tb=mods&pUp=1

because by default long war has lots of bullshit difficulty even on normal

also prioritize getting laser cannons on your interceptors, you can retake the council nation you lose in the first month by placing a satellite over it, you don't want to expand too rapidly either because the air war will kick your rear end and you'll have wasted resources on sats for nothing.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Anything I should know about Rune Factory 3? I'm mainly wondering whether the game has any timed content (like a dungeon that only opens in a given season or something like that), although general tips are appreciated.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Any advice for playing Natural Doctrine? I know at least one person on these forums has beaten it and thanks it's alright, and I've had it downloaded for sometime. Every time I try to play a stage, I get my teeth kicked in by consecutive turns where every single enemy gets to attack and I still down know how I'm supposed to protect anyone using the arcane battle system that was invented for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Now that Torchlight 2 is Mac compatible, anything I should know, specifically about assigning/specializing stats?