Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
ConcernedApe seems to be super active on twitter and has responded to people noting bugs before, so I'd probably suggest that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Apparently the wiki crew (The "official" one despite still being a community effort) have gotten to work listing everyone's events and how to trigger them. They're at the bottom of villager profiles. Not all of 'em yet, but most. It's handy!

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

If you bring bombs/stairs you can find stairs pretty quick as well usually.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pigbottom posted:

That sounds great. I'm going to try it now.

My only problem is that the injector doesn't work with the Steam Overlay so I can't conveniently take screenshots using F12. And I'm the sort of person who takes hundreds of screenshots :(

Still definitely worth it, because the game is way more enjoyable now.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Your Computer posted:

My only problem is that the injector doesn't work with the Steam Overlay so I can't conveniently take screenshots using F12. And I'm the sort of person who takes hundreds of screenshots :(

Still definitely worth it, because the game is way more enjoyable now.

Also breaks using a [steam] controller with the game, which is a definite deal breaker.

e: Fixed screenshots and controller by adding the Injector.exe as non-steam game and running in big picture. Not sure which fixed which, but I'd guess they're respectively.

HarmB fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 2, 2016

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Alaan posted:

So has anyone got to level 10 fishing since the patch? My own testing was pretty inconclusive. The last time I played my game I sold 200g of fish and got a CTD. Today I sold 1500g trying to see what happened and I didn't level up off that.

I reached lvl 10 fishing yesterday, but I unwittingly went down the Crab Pot path because no one told me I had to select one at lvl 5. Game hasn't crashed on me yet. No clue if the other path is causing crashes.

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

Cantorsdust posted:

Nope. There's a score at the end of 2 years that has no effect on any gameplay at all, and you keep on playing after. Enjoy completely!

Neat, thanks!

Pigbottom posted:

After putting 40 hours in the game and changing my mind several times about it, I think I'm finally ready to agree that the days are too short for my taste. This game could be relaxing but instead I'm constantly exasperated and running everywhere. My farm looks like a mess, and I hate to think under pressure so it will probably be kept that way. Somehow even while paused in inventory I can't put away this sense of urgency. I understand that some people may like it like that, but to me I think it might be worth giving that slower time patch a try.

Yeah this is about the only thing I don't like so far. The day definitely feels like it goes by too fast, especially combined with the energy bar. I'm only in Y1 Summer though, so maybe things'll get better once I've gotten some Stardrops and access to the not-poo poo sprinklers. Like I'd really love to dive more into fishing but between farming, spelunking, and getting relationships up I've only had the time to get my Fishing up to level 1. I don't even want to get started on livestock because that just seems like even more of a timesink and, compared to farming and foraging, not even one that'll be all that profitable at this point. Gonna have to sooner or later though if just for the cooking ingredients...

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Can you manually rotate things? Things as in walkways. They kind of sort of try to connect together but it's really bad

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Mega64 posted:

Is there a link somewhere? Wanna check to see if her romance dialogue really isn't popping up from what I've seen.

And are the Chucklefish forums the best place to report bugs, or would the SV subreddit/CA's Twitter be better?

All dialogue zipped up. Spoilers for anyone looking, obviously. https://mega.nz/#!kN9EBL5Q!xjwYoy8IsdaE2ncGb8zlxDnFv5uIGp02m1qD1ZCgFfg

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harmburger posted:

Also breaks using a [steam] controller with the game, which is a definite deal breaker.

e: Fixed screenshots and controller by adding the Injector.exe as non-steam game and running in big picture. Not sure which fixed which, but I'd guess they're respectively.

See, I thought of this right after I made that post. Adding he .exe as a non-steam game totally solves the problem and I've already taken 5 screenshots since that post :downs:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Cantorsdust posted:

All dialogue zipped up. Spoilers for anyone looking, obviously. https://mega.nz/#!kN9EBL5Q!xjwYoy8IsdaE2ncGb8zlxDnFv5uIGp02m1qD1ZCgFfg

Thanks!

I'll probably mess around a bit to make sure it's bugged and not just very annoying to trigger or something. Just did Penny's ten-heart event so surely I'll get some new dialogue now if ever.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

A lot of the soundtracks really reminds me strongly of Simcity soundtracks, they're so nice.

Any suggestions for Spring Y2 prep? I'm in Winter 20 right now, working on getting Iridium and cash so I can start off the year with some megacrops to fund future livestock expansion.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Stupid TV fooled me into selling 16 berries for a grand total of 80 farm bucks :mad:

I'm having trouble finding coal around level 35 of the mine. Is this normal, or should I mine only on lucky days?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Fat Samurai posted:

Stupid TV fooled me into selling 16 berries for a grand total of 80 farm bucks :mad:

I'm having trouble finding coal around level 35 of the mine. Is this normal, or should I mine only on lucky days?

Get to level 40, and you'll start seeing black fuzzball monsters. They drop coal pretty reliably when you kill them (and are not much of a threat to boot).

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

inthesto posted:

Get to level 40, and you'll start seeing black fuzzball monsters. They drop coal pretty reliably when you kill them (and are not much of a threat to boot).

They also break rocks, which saves you the stamina.

They're so nice. :3:

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
This is the best "home for the day, all chores are done, time to chill" game. It's like therapy.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

They also break rocks, which saves you the stamina.

They're so nice. :3:

Hopefully someone will mod in something similar to that slime pit thing but for those things.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Kor posted:

Yeah this is about the only thing I don't like so far. The day definitely feels like it goes by too fast, especially combined with the energy bar. I'm only in Y1 Summer though, so maybe things'll get better once I've gotten some Stardrops and access to the not-poo poo sprinklers. Like I'd really love to dive more into fishing but between farming, spelunking, and getting relationships up I've only had the time to get my Fishing up to level 1. I don't even want to get started on livestock because that just seems like even more of a timesink and, compared to farming and foraging, not even one that'll be all that profitable at this point. Gonna have to sooner or later though if just for the cooking ingredients...

That's basically the biggest issue.

Like the curve is basically Spring is a bit rough, Summer is easier, Fall is easier, Winter is super easy ( no farming ), etc etc.

As you go, you get better and better sprinklers, slave labor in the form of your wife/children, a horse/minecarts to move you across the map, the ability to control the rain, etc etc. And as you go, you have less and less things you need to do.

Like if you keep at clearing your land, you should have it totally cleared by late Summer/Fall. And then that's an entire task just kind of gone. If you visit the Mine on rainy days, by the time Winter hits and you can't farm anymore, you should be close enough to the end you can fully clear it without much issue by the end of the month. Once you get the second bag upgrade/some fishing experience under your belt, it's really easy to just go catch a few fish while you wait for stores to open/people to leave their homes, especially once you have a sprinkler system covering all your crops so you don't need to water them by hand.

The entire arc of the game isn't making money, it's about coming up with more and more solutions to the time problems, so you can eventually just laze through most of your days, figuring out the games inner workings/puzzles while your farm produces money.

I can get removing/slowing the timer dramatically, especially if you were looking for a more Simsy style farm manager, where the world is your oyster, and you came here to make pretty looking farms. But a lot of the game parts of the game are designed around time management, and if you remove it, you can easily put yourself in a situation where you breeze through all of the games content before you even hit it's "ending", and then just have to idle for 2-3 months to get the rest of the way there. ( It doesn't actually end, don't worry, you just get graded. )

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

How late can you stay in the desert? For that matter is there a time where you just drop from exhaustion in the morning?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Do catfish actually exist?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

How do I use crab pots? I managed to put one in the ocean off a pier right after making it, but accidentally picked it back up while trying to bait it. Now I can't seem to do anything with it at all anymore. Is it one-time-use or something?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
FYI snowgoon is much more likely to be a Calvin and Hobbes reference than an SA reference

Google attack of the killer snow goons (phone posting)

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Elendil004 posted:

How late can you stay in the desert? For that matter is there a time where you just drop from exhaustion in the morning?

At 2am you pass out and lose money and stamina for the next day.

For the calico mines I try to get moving home around 11:30 to 12:00, enough time to get to bed around 1:10-1:30 if you can make it to the ladder reasonably quick.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Do catfish actually exist?

6am-12am in a river during the rain.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Rookersh posted:

That's basically the biggest issue.

Like the curve is basically Spring is a bit rough, Summer is easier, Fall is easier, Winter is super easy ( no farming ), etc etc.

As you go, you get better and better sprinklers, slave labor in the form of your wife/children, a horse/minecarts to move you across the map, the ability to control the rain, etc etc. And as you go, you have less and less things you need to do.

Like if you keep at clearing your land, you should have it totally cleared by late Summer/Fall. And then that's an entire task just kind of gone. If you visit the Mine on rainy days, by the time Winter hits and you can't farm anymore, you should be close enough to the end you can fully clear it without much issue by the end of the month. Once you get the second bag upgrade/some fishing experience under your belt, it's really easy to just go catch a few fish while you wait for stores to open/people to leave their homes, especially once you have a sprinkler system covering all your crops so you don't need to water them by hand.

The entire arc of the game isn't making money, it's about coming up with more and more solutions to the time problems, so you can eventually just laze through most of your days, figuring out the games inner workings/puzzles while your farm produces money.

I can get removing/slowing the timer dramatically, especially if you were looking for a more Simsy style farm manager, where the world is your oyster, and you came here to make pretty looking farms. But a lot of the game parts of the game are designed around time management, and if you remove it, you can easily put yourself in a situation where you breeze through all of the games content before you even hit it's "ending", and then just have to idle for 2-3 months to get the rest of the way there. ( It doesn't actually end, don't worry, you just get graded. )

Okay you've convinced me to not play with the longer days for now. Thanks for this post.

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

I guess I see where the time management is a big ingrained part of the game where increasing the day span would take a way a lot of the progression curve. It's just kind of aggravating and a little stressful. Nothing to do but stick it out and then probably lament when my days aren't trying to juggle three or four different things.

Is there any real benefit or price difference between selling things directly to merchants vs. just chucking it all into my bin at the end of the day?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Kor posted:

Is there any real benefit or price difference between selling things directly to merchants vs. just chucking it all into my bin at the end of the day?

Nope. You just get your money immediately if you sell to merchants.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The time crunch isn't so bad for me, but that's probably because I'm not trying to get everything done in year one. I'll finish the community center in year 2 and then raise my family until scoring, after which I'll probably start another playthrough because this game is loving great.

Mod Wishlist:

Fuzzball Pit
New dialogue for current characters.
More music.
Buff marriage a bit, give new dialogue and things to do for spouses.
Build Linus a house and/or a robot wife/husband.

e:

Kor posted:

I've had a couple items I sold at the general store end up popping up in their inventory, but it only happened with three or four things and hasn't done it again in awhile. I think that'd be a good trade-off where stuff you sell at the store itself can be rebought if needed later, like if it turns out you need the item for a recipe, bundle, or quest.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

PSA: If you pass out, but make it inside your house(though not to the bed) you still get rest(and not robbed).

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Build Linus a house

Yeah this is what I want most right now i think. Needs to be a way for me to let Robin know that I am willing to pay 100k gold and a whole stack of hardwood if she builds that man a cabin.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Xtanstic posted:

Okay you've convinced me to not play with the longer days for now. Thanks for this post.

If you make a point of diving into the mine for 5 floors every chance you have the time+energy (starting in Summer once the bath opened, I could water my crops for ~70% of my energy, hit the bath, and be in the mines by 1-2pm, which is enough time to clear 5 floors, maybe even 10 if you get lucky on ladders) and get to 40 so you can get iron, even lovely sprinklers are GODSENDS. You can readily set up a pretty optimized irrigation system with them (place a sprinkler, then one two spaces down and one space to the side, one two spaces to the side and one space down, and then complete the 'square' to get a repeatable unit that waters all the land therein without wasting any sprinkler's watering capacity) and start eating away at the amount of time you need to sink into crops. Which gives you more time to mine so you can get down to 80 and start getting gold, which lets you make the sprinklers that water 8 squares so you can more rapidly scale up your crops without having to dump tons of time into them.

The mine is really, realy worth hitting early. I just hit Floor 100 this morning and I'm approaching the end of Y1 Summer - getting sprinklers up and running ASAP is a godsend, and I recommend dumping basically all of your spare time into steadily chewing through the mine. Once the hot springs opens, you can water your crops, hit the springs to refill your Energy, and be in the mine by 1-2pm. Just make sure you plant your crops near the watering hole on your farm if you don't have a Well. Entering the mine at 1-2pm, clearing 5 floors, and being home in time for bed has been pretty easy in my experience. As a side perk, if you're interested in Haley or Abigail, there are good gifts for both of them that you'll find plenty of whilst spelunking.

E: Agreed with everyone who wants to build Linus a cabin, though I'm not totally positive he'd actually want one. I only have him at like 3 stars, but he seems pretty happy with his life, aside from people harassing him.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
On the one hand I am a bit annoyed at picking the animal specialization before I even had animals because watering 50 plots of land ever day was a loving chore, but then it turned out hey, animals are labor intensive assholes who will give you JACK poo poo and will stay at 0 hearts forever somehow, no matter how much you feed them, while at the same time hello here are sprinklers so you never have to water a single thing ever again and btw the materials fore these are ABUNDANT.

Then again, who cares. Money is never the thing I'm bottlenecked by.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
Any tips for the desert dungeon? I just unlocked it and I'm like three days away from winter, so I anticipate spending a lot of my time there soon.

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

Is there a reason fences degrade? :( I just wanted my farm to look a little prettier and now instead it's all just falling apart.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Magres posted:

If you make a point of diving into the mine for 5 floors every chance you have the time+energy (starting in Summer once the bath opened, I could water my crops for ~70% of my energy, hit the bath, and be in the mines by 1-2pm, which is enough time to clear 5 floors, maybe even 10 if you get lucky on ladders) and get to 40 so you can get iron, even lovely sprinklers are GODSENDS. You can readily set up a pretty optimized irrigation system with them (place a sprinkler, then one two spaces down and one space to the side, one two spaces to the side and one space down, and then complete the 'square' to get a repeatable unit that waters all the land therein without wasting any sprinkler's watering capacity) and start eating away at the amount of time you need to sink into crops. Which gives you more time to mine so you can get down to 80 and start getting gold, which lets you make the sprinklers that water 8 squares so you can more rapidly scale up your crops without having to dump tons of time into them.

The mine is really, realy worth hitting early. I just hit Floor 100 this morning and I'm approaching the end of Y1 Summer - getting sprinklers up and running ASAP is a godsend, and I recommend dumping basically all of your spare time into steadily chewing through the mine. Once the hot springs opens, you can water your crops, hit the springs to refill your Energy, and be in the mine by 1-2pm. Just make sure you plant your crops near the watering hole on your farm if you don't have a Well. Entering the mine at 1-2pm, clearing 5 floors, and being home in time for bed has been pretty easy in my experience. As a side perk, if you're interested in Haley or Abigail, there are good gifts for both of them that you'll find plenty of whilst spelunking.

E: Agreed with everyone who wants to build Linus a cabin, though I'm not totally positive he'd actually want one. I only have him at like 3 stars, but he seems pretty happy with his life, aside from people harassing him.

This is useful advice but I'm probably not gonna tryhard optimize it this much. Usually I can finish watering my crops by 9am manually with the copper bucket. On days where it rains, I will spend the entire day in the mine. I'm already in the ice section. I'm saving the bulk of it for the winter anyway. Plus, sprinklers would just add to my OCD layout. I just have crops and a coop and already I'm going mental trying to plan it spatially while maximizing scarecrow coverage, adding in a tree orchard and planning for an eventual barn area with shared free roam space. I love this game and just want more time to do everything. I've barely touched the social side beyond randomly giving fruit to people and tracking down Leah so I can stuff her full of salad.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

how me a frog posted:

On the one hand I am a bit annoyed at picking the animal specialization before I even had animals because watering 50 plots of land ever day was a loving chore, but then it turned out hey, animals are labor intensive assholes who will give you JACK poo poo and will stay at 0 hearts forever somehow, no matter how much you feed them, while at the same time hello here are sprinklers so you never have to water a single thing ever again and btw the materials fore these are ABUNDANT.

Then again, who cares. Money is never the thing I'm bottlenecked by.

Pet your drat animals.

I wish there was a way to take a screenshot of my entire farm without using that one trick posted earlier because I cant seem to do that with my old crappy video card.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
Another thing I would love to see is the option to see a grid on the ground of the farm.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
For scarecrows, is their range the 8 tiles adjacent to them or 8 tiles in every direction?

Because if it's the latter I may have misunderstood and built too many. :cripes: Least my crops are super safe?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

For scarecrows, is their range the 8 tiles adjacent to them or 8 tiles in every direction?

Because if it's the latter I may have misunderstood and built too many. :cripes: Least my crops are super safe?

It's a weird pseudo-circle, but yeah it's basically 8 in every direction.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

DurosKlav posted:

Pet your drat animals.

I wish there was a way to take a screenshot of my entire farm without using that one trick posted earlier because I cant seem to do that with my old crappy video card.

By pet you mean "sell" right? Who the hell has time for that, can't be chasing the fuckers across the entire map just cause someone came up with the genius idea that fences should explode the day after you put them down, lol. I got slimes to slice and ladies to romance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
One thing I'd like added is a screen for your animal status, like the social tab. I think Friends of Mineral Town had this.