Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

Anybody around tonight to give me a pearl? Name is Hakyun and I should be on and off over the next couple hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If someone else doesn't get to you before me, I'll take care of ya.

/tell Shinjobi and if I'm online I'll help ya out.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Pathos posted:

No, unfortunately. It has to be both PlayOnline and Tetra Master, I guess. Not sure why they're bundled but there isn't a way to separate them in the installer itself.

If you have access to another machine you can install it on, then copy the directory over...
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=1172437895217382813

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Worthwhile notes on accuracy shamelessly stolen from Reddit:

As dfoley already mentioned, accuracy caps for lower level content aren't that crazy. The highest I can think of for 119 content requires slightly above 950 accuracy, but that does not include NMs who level up and their leveled accuracy requirements.

The high end of 125-132 content(Delve 2, Escha T2s in Zi'tah and Ru'ann, most apex mobs, T1s in Reisenjima, Vagary) is 1200, but the majority isn't higher than 1150, the lower end is like 1050. This when you will start needed accuracy buffs or evasion debuffs until you have either really good gear or are playing a job that can gather a large amount of accuracy. There might be some unity NMs that are higher, I don't have values for those.

135 is where things start to jump up. The content at this level varies WILDLY. Certain NMs have remarkably low evasion(Whale T3s come to mind) and others are absolutely insane(Vir'ava). The Behemoth in Escha Zi'tah requires 1411 accuracy to cap on, and a lot of the other NMs are around this range.

140 content is wildly varied also. On the low end, AAGK in Escha Ru'ann has an incredibly low accuracy requiresments for his content level, as he is lower than 1390 accuracy. AAEV however, is around 1560 accuracy required. Shoot for 1450 effective accuracy in this range.

145 is where accuracy becomes just plain hellish. Neak(Reisenjima T3), for example, requires 1866 accuracy to cap against. Kirin? That's 1950 accuracy. Most of this content requires everything you've got to just hit the mobs. It's essentially irrelevant to bother trying to melee at this level unless you have VERY solid support. Even then, certain jobs just won't get enough accuracy to hit this content. My puppet master can get over 1950 accuracy on it's own with just food(Not worthwhile due to sacrifices, unless ODing) whereas my WAR with +1 119 Abjuration gear and a Bravura(Not III yet, which will add a great deal more acc) can't get much higher than 1300 solo.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
After over a decade put into making this game, S-E STILL can't get over how much they hate melee jobs. Throw mages at everything forever has been the go-to strategy since the game launched, and they've never really done poo poo to address it.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
I never understood how someone thought "You know what the combat needs to do? Punish the people actively participating in it" and the whole room of developers just sagely nodded in agreement at this idea.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

After over a decade put into making this game, S-E STILL can't get over how much they hate melee jobs. Throw mages at everything forever has been the go-to strategy since the game launched, and they've never really done poo poo to address it.

You forget the near decade of samurai superiority...

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Paladine_PSoT posted:

You forget the near decade of samurai superiority...

Oh I didn't. S-E made one melee job really worthwhile, and nerfed others the minute they got too big for their britches. Sit back down, WAR, Abyssea's already over.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
The accuracy probably wouldn't be so bad if melees weren't also required to have damage taken -% along with it just to deal with the absurd AoE spam that everything does these days. Basically the game has returned to the lovely years of mages only, and SAM's meditating on the sidelines.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Male of the Century posted:

The accuracy probably wouldn't be so bad if melees weren't also required to have damage taken -% along with it just to deal with the absurd AoE spam that everything does these days. Basically the game has returned to the lovely years of mages only, and SAM's meditating on the sidelines.

The thing is, you really only need one or two melee to help make skillchains for magic burst strats. The only alliance content that would require more melee is incursion, but you can cheese it with magic burst as well.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Gruknor posted:

The thing is, you really only need one or two melee to help make skillchains for magic burst strats. The only alliance content that would require more melee is incursion, but you can cheese it with magic burst as well.

Which is the problem I'm describing, in that it alienates more than half the available jobs when nobody wants anything other than SMN, GEO, BLM, with a single tank and 1-2 samurai to make the donuts. It's everything that sucked about CoP but on steroids.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Which is the problem I'm describing, in that it alienates more than half the available jobs when nobody wants anything other than SMN, GEO, BLM, with a single tank and 1-2 samurai to make the donuts. It's everything that sucked about CoP but on steroids.

Its double edged too. Sam is basically the perfect dd for melee, all due to its gimmicks for tp gain. The other melees bring nothing essential in their gimmicks to make them useful. Angon and tomahawk have been moot, th doesn't warrant precious space anymore due to scaling, mnk and drk have no real gimmick.

Buff dd and we pretty much go back to sams.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
As dumb as the whole system was, at least Voidwatch got jobs off the bench to cover procs. I would never want to go back to that, but for a few brief terrible moments people got to actually play jobs they liked.

Does anyone want to try and do Delve this week? I really need the hat from the ice cat and I'm sure there's 1 or 2 other people who wouldn't mind actually unlocking the key items across the board.

Male of the Century fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 17, 2016

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Voidwatch would of been fine if droprates for good stuff wasn't stupid low.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

LiquidFriend posted:

Voidwatch would of been fine if droprates for good stuff wasn't stupid low.

Tell me about it, it took me awhile to get my ganesha's mala. I still can't believe it.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Gruknor posted:

Tell me about it, it took me awhile to get my ganesha's mala. I still can't believe it.

Whats the best way to do this, because... i want one too.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
By this point you probably have 1000000000000 stones, and you can solo that guy on pretty much any melee job real easily, just spam cells on it and hope for the best.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

New rainbow campaign for this week: Goodbye CP boosts :(

http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/14602/detail.html

Highlights:
WKR respawn time reduced
Double Plasm from delve
Bonus loot from Reisenjima Gaes Fate

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Highlights:
WKR respawn time reduced
Double Plasm from delve

Hello abjurations.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Kieyen posted:

Hello abjurations.

Willing to bet they're all abjurations, like the ones behemoth and genbu drop as well as the reisenjima abjurations. At least you can get some tatter out of them.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Willing to bet they're all abjurations, like the ones behemoth and genbu drop as well as the reisenjima abjurations. At least you can get some tatter out of them.

My first key got me some goblin loaf.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Highlights:
WKR respawn time reduced
Double Plasm from delve
This is a great week to take up a craft and not be a poor. Skillup rates just too good to not do it.

Poopsocking Bonecraft on frod, Alchemy on my main and I might do another craft on a mule.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

LiquidFriend posted:

This is a great week to take up a craft and not be a poor. Skillup rates just too good to not do it.

Poopsocking Bonecraft on frod, Alchemy on my main and I might do another craft on a mule.

You get poo poo in a sock, i got poo poo in a box.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

frodnonnag posted:

You get poo poo in a sock, i got poo poo in a box.
The main consistency here is definitely poo poo.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

LiquidFriend posted:

Thats not a bad idea, I think I'll do this while working today and push my leatherworking up. Don't forget Ionis and a Kitron Macaroon

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Thats not a bad idea, I think I'll do this while working today and push my leatherworking up. Don't forget Ionis and a Kitron Macaroon
I've also been using the SoA quest helm and Orvail Ring. Got 40 levels in Alchemy in a few hours last night.

The main downside is crystal supply is very thin and stacks sell for over 10k now. Not a big deal if you don't mind spendig an hour or so in sky farming elementals.

MikeyKins
May 9, 2004

Dan, there's a reason why we get emails calling you Le Bafart, Le Baturd, Le Bajerk...
Being in the current "waiting for next expansion" WoW lull, I reinstalled this to mess around and see if it holds my attention. Is there a good "hey, you haven't played since 2012, here's what you need to know" guide somewhere?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Did they ever fix that issue where melee hits (no matter how weak) would always give a monster 10TP, and much more powerful spells (except for multi-hit blue magic hah-haaa) would still only give 10TP?

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

MikeyKins posted:

Being in the current "waiting for next expansion" WoW lull, I reinstalled this to mess around and see if it holds my attention. Is there a good "hey, you haven't played since 2012, here's what you need to know" guide somewhere?

You can poke around on Reddit but honestly, so much has changed now that it is very difficult to wrap your head around all of it and you're better off picking a single goal in mind then figuring out how to work towards that.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Things to do every time:
Touch every homepoint, you can now teleport from any homepoint to any homepoint you have touched for a nominal fee.
Touch every suvival guide (floating wavy book) for the same reason.

Familiarize yourself with these:
Records of Eminence / Sparks
Trusts (Note, use adblock for ffxiclopedia)

Do the trust quest for your nation, and probably the other nations, too. That will get you a few trusts. You can get more from the RoE tutorial quests. You now have an instant summon party.
Join Apururu's Unity, do unity quests until you can summon his trust (he's the best healer)

Get to level 99: You can pretty much do this without even buying armor. Just use sparks to buy upgraded weapons from your spark vendor and kill stuff with trusts. 1 healer, 1 tank, 1-2-3 dd depending on how far you progress in rhapsodies. Here's good places to level:
0-30: You can get this just trust killing everything walking from your starting city to jeuno.
30-40: Qufim
40-50: East Altepa
50-60: worms in Escha Zi'Tah (requires progressing in Rhapsodies of Vana'Diel to at least 1-10, this also unlocks a 4th trust.
60-75: Colibris in Bhaflau Thickets
75-80: Mamool Ja by the Mamool Ja staging point
80-87: Orichalcumshells on Mount Zhaylom
87-99: Mandragoras right outside Adoulin in Ceziak Battlegrounds

Join Apururu's Unity, do unity quests until you can summon his trust
Once you hit 99, buy a set of iLvl 117 armor for your job from the sparks vendor, and an iLvl 117 weapon. Cap your primary weaponskill by autoattacking an urganite in Ceziak Battlegrounds with a lovely weapon that can do at least 1 damage, and Apururu. Use skillup food if necessary

Start working through adoulin missions and building rep, you will unlock things like wildskeeper reives.
With iLvl 117 gear you can now solo the entire mission lines for each nation, zilart, promathia, toau, and wotg. Do this, and progress in Rhapsodies of Vana'diel through the end of chapter 2.

Make sure you work towards getting out to Yorca Weald, touching waypoints at various frontier stations and bivouacs along the way. Ask for help clearing reives if necessary, get the KIs for things like climbing, watercraft, etc from each frontier station. Once you get to Yorcia, find the enigmatic device and register that telepoint, too. Look for shouts for Yorcia Weald Skirmish. Make sure it's alluvion. Join and ask if you can be the booker. They will help you understand how to do this. You can earn good starting 119 armor and Mellidopt wings which can be exchanged for 119 weapons

Congrats, now you're low tier end game. Decide what you want to do and go for that. I recommend finishing rhapsodies.

MikeyKins
May 9, 2004

Dan, there's a reason why we get emails calling you Le Bafart, Le Baturd, Le Bajerk...

You can poke around on Reddit but honestly, so much has changed now that it is very difficult to wrap your head around all of it and you're better off picking a single goal in mind then figuring out how to work towards that.

Killing bees it is, then.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Apururu is female. :colbert:

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
New week campaign : six free dark matter augment attempts per day on any reisenjima gear.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

MikeyKins posted:

Killing bees it is, then.

Killing bees for crystals, stacks of beehive chips and stacks of honey is worth it.

Cyrelio
Mar 28, 2015

Is this game still worth playing? I played hardcore from 2004-2009 before my character was banned in the mass salvage duping ban (rip NiN). Got back into the game with another character about a year afterwards and went until 2014 before I burned out and quit for good. I keep getting e-mails from SE about stuff and was intrigued. I think the character I played on still exists with everything maxed out at the time that I stopped playing.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Cyrelio posted:

Is this game still worth playing? I played hardcore from 2004-2009 before my character was banned in the mass salvage duping ban (rip NiN). Got back into the game with another character about a year afterwards and went until 2014 before I burned out and quit for good. I keep getting e-mails from SE about stuff and was intrigued. I think the character I played on still exists with everything maxed out at the time that I stopped playing.

The game is definitely still worth it as you have missed a few big changes. The big strat for endgame is all blm magic bursting. There is a new tier to all rem weapons and a new category of weapons called aeonic. There are new harder versions of absolute virtue, pandemonium warden, and alot of the ground kings from rotz and toau.

Goonpearl is on asura, the server with the most english speakers. Unfortunately this server also has reddit

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
If you played until 2014 you'll know about trusts. What you don't know is that after doing some Rhapsodies of Vana'diel missions you get KI's that let you have 5 out. Yes, you can have a full party all by yourself! Also EXP boosts and skillup boosts and....stuff.

Cyrelio
Mar 28, 2015

Thanks for the updates. That's crazy that you can have 5 trusts out. When I stopped playing I think the max was only 2.

frodnonnag posted:

The game is definitely still worth it as you have missed a few big changes. The big strat for endgame is all blm magic bursting. There is a new tier to all rem weapons and a new category of weapons called aeonic. There are new harder versions of absolute virtue, pandemonium warden, and alot of the ground kings from rotz and toau.

Goonpearl is on asura, the server with the most english speakers. Unfortunately this server also has reddit

How do these rem/aeonic weapons compare to the relic/mythic weapons? Are they as much of a pain in the rear end to obtain? I think I was working on a mythic weapon when I quit because that was one of the only things I had never obtained in the game.

The revamped/harder AV/PW/ground kings sounds awesome. Some of my favorite memories of old were killing all of that stuff before the level cap increases, etc. when they actually meant something to the end-game scene.

I actually think my character was on Asura when I quit. Don't quite remember for sure though. It might be cool to play with some Goons in this game. :)

MikeyKins
May 9, 2004

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Things to do every time:

Thanks for this thing that I somehow didn't see when I was replying. Nice write up to have.

Edit: Also, could someone hook me up with a pearl? Name in game is Shafeek, and I'll be on this evening. Or is it better to post when I'm actually on

MikeyKins fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Cyrelio posted:

How do these rem/aeonic weapons compare to the relic/mythic weapons? Are they as much of a pain in the rear end to obtain? I think I was working on a mythic weapon when I quit because that was one of the only things I had never obtained in the game.

REM = Relic/Empyrean/Mythic, and also includes Ergon weapons (basically Mythic for GEO/RUN).

And yes, all of them are varying degrees of giant pain in the rear end (or at least some flavor of giant grind).