Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
It could also be a planeswalker that flips into a legendary werewolf. Then it keeps its loyalty counters on it between flips. The creature side could even have an ability that adds loyalty counters somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Or it could just be a dual faced walker, and hopefully we actually get the RG Legendary Werewolf.

Really, Would Huntmaster of the Fells been bad if it was Legendary?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
They've done critters that flip into planeswalkers, and planeswalkers that flip into planeswalkers.

planeswalker that flips into critter is the only one they haven't done from a mechanical standpoint, but they also have about 30 different gideons that do that without flipping.

I'm hoping that they have some interplay between both sides that makes her interesting and encourages her to flip around. Something like this:

Planeswalker Human Form

+Loyalty: Utility
-X: Flip ~this and add X +1/+1 counters to it

Creature Werewolf form

0: Fight target creature and add a +1/+1 counter to ~this
T: Flip this and add X loyalty counters to ~this, where X is the # of +1/+1 counters on this.
0/0

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Everblight posted:

Oubliette buyout in progress, M93/94 and Pauper are that big a deal I guess? $50 for a common black O-Ring? Why not.

I bought/pucatraded for four of them at $11-$14. I only needed two, but hell might as complete the playset right? There are just not enough Oubliettes in existence if paper Pauper becomes an actual thing. Fortunately it should be easily reprintable in Eternal Masters - its a black Journey to Nowhere but a little more expensive since White is obviously the best at removal.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Cactrot posted:

the 0 ability being transform all Werewolves/humans could be kinda neat.

It would mostly be funny as a way to murder Jace, Vryn's Prodigy.

Yawgmoth posted:

It could also be a planeswalker that flips into a legendary werewolf. Then it keeps its loyalty counters on it between flips. The creature side could even have an ability that adds loyalty counters somehow.

Unless it has C14 trinket text, it would probably piss off all the of the (whoever the gently caress it is) that keeps asking for an RG Werewolf lord for EDH.

Count Bleck posted:

Or it could just be a dual faced walker, and hopefully we actually get the RG Legendary Werewolf.

Really, Would Huntmaster of the Fells been bad if it was Legendary?

I suspect this crowd of people who keep whining about a commander were probably looking for a Wolf Lord with the correct color identity, e.g. they probably would prefer something more like Master of the Wild Hunt or even more something like Mayor of Avabruck.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 2, 2016

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

I almost want to play the format just so I can play with the worst version of everything. MIR Trikes, Conspiracy StPs, 9th edition Kird Apes. All foreign. If they're going to sanction the event they can't stop me. :colbert:

M. Bison yes, yes!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Oubliette is actually super strong in pauper because of devotion.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sigma-X posted:

They've done critters that flip into planeswalkers, and planeswalkers that flip into planeswalkers.

planeswalker that flips into critter is the only one they haven't done from a mechanical standpoint, but they also have about 30 different gideons that do that without flipping.

I'm hoping that they have some interplay between both sides that makes her interesting and encourages her to flip around. Something like this:

Planeswalker Human Form

+Loyalty: Utility
-X: Flip ~this and add X +1/+1 counters to it

Creature Werewolf form

0: Fight target creature and add a +1/+1 counter to ~this
T: Flip this and add X loyalty counters to ~this, where X is the # of +1/+1 counters on this.
0/0

I don't think they'll do it this way. as you'd end up with a planeswalker that has both +1/+1 counters and loyalty counters after a few flips and that is super confusing for *~the casuals~*

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

93/94 is a garbage format for the worst people in the game.

TIL there are even bigger neckbeards in magic than I imagined to be.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Cactrot posted:

I don't think they'll do it this way. as you'd end up with a planeswalker that has both +1/+1 counters and loyalty counters after a few flips and that is super confusing for *~the casuals~*

After a single flip, you'd end up with both. If you remove all the loyalty counters with the -X, it dies as a SBA before it can flip.

Just let it keep its loyalty counters and have the creature side get +1/+1 for each loyalty counter on it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Cactrot posted:

I think that design is probably legitimately confusing to everyone. I mean, sure sometimes, Gideon gets +1/+1 counters on him, but he doesn't do it to himself and he never has to flip around constantly.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Cactrot posted:

Its not just confusing for "casuals." Two differing counter types on the same permanent is an easy thing for someone to overlook when looking over a complicated board state or what have you, so i doubt the counter thing is a direction they would take, even if it is a neat idea.

Angry Grimace posted:

I think that design is probably legitimately confusing to everyone. I mean, sure sometimes, Gideon gets +1/+1 counters on him, but he doesn't do it to himself and he never has to flip around constantly.

Agreed

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I don't think Arlinn will be a creature at all. Her storyline strongly suggests she can move back and forth between wolf and human but the way Planeswalker cards work with loyalty counters would make it mechanically awkward for her to have both creature and Planeswalker types.

The Origins type Plansewalkers can do it, but they aren't ever meant to flip repeatedly.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Madmarker posted:

Its not just confusing for "casuals." Two differing counter types on the same permanent is an easy thing for someone to overlook when looking over a complicated board state or what have you, so i doubt the counter thing is a direction they would take, even if it is a neat idea.
On the plus side, it would lead to at least one streamed match that had at least one player attempting to sneak in a counter or claim the counter was a different one. :3:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Cactrot posted:

Ah yeah, I meant to be clearing the counters off during the transfer, so they're loyalty on the PW side and +1/+1 on the creature side.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I wouldn't really see that happening because +1/+1 counters are SO much easier to add than Loyalty counters. Her ultimate/any minus abilities would have to be balanced with that in mind and probably pretty anemic.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 2, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sealed leagues are finally implemented in MTGO again. The prize payout is fairly top-heavy though, so I don't know how popular they're going to be.

quote:

Prizes (Match Win)

5 Match Wins: 4 Oath of the Gatewatch boosters, 2 Battle for Zendikar boosters, 420 Play Points and 3 QPs
4 Match Wins: 2 Oath of the Gatewatch boosters, 1 Battle for Zendikar booster, 280 Play Points and 1 QP
3 Match Wins: 1 Oath of the Gatewatch booster and 140 Play Points

Positives: you can play on your own schedule and finish the league as fast or slow as you want. Deckbuilding has no timing restrictions whatsoever and indeed, you can change your deck completely in between rounds, which is good for beginners who want help building a functional deck out of their pools.

Negatives: Expensive as all gently caress, payouts reward opening bombs, league structure rewards opening bombs. It costs more than a prerelease at your local store and is about 10% as fun.

Conclusion: Don't play this unless you hate money. This is one of those events that would be a good way to use packs before the implementation of Itchy & Scratchy Money because it wouldn't cost an actual 28 dollars to enter. Now, you only need to win three matches to get 1/2 your entry back in the form of ICM, but you get nothing but the value of your MODO cards unless you win those 3 matches (hint: your MODO cards are worthless most of the time). I'm not suggesting you can't win because lots of people have good win percentages in limited, but I'm saying Sealed is fundamentally pack wars and eventually luck will catch up to your and your rares will all be Hedron Alignments and you will get smashed and straight up lose your entry.

I will give the MTGO team credit in that the last year was pretty good for them: MTGO has been working quite a bit better than it did before and they've added a lot of events (leagues and the Modern flashback series) and trimmed/combined certain events so that you can actually play more of these events.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 3, 2016

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't think Arlinn will be a creature at all. Her storyline strongly suggests she can move back and forth between wolf and human but the way Planeswalker cards work with loyalty counters would make it mechanically awkward for her to have both creature and Planeswalker types.

The Origins type Plansewalkers can do it, but they aren't ever meant to flip repeatedly.

She'll just be a walker, if she absolutely has to turn into a wolf as an ability she'll do it the same way (mono R) Sarkhan or Gideon does it

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
She's not on the leaked DFC checklist so unless her card is in EDM (in which case we get three more thrilling months of forum speculation) she won't be a flip card

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Or we have a second sheet of flip cards, which seems like it'll be the case to me.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The checklist was marked CH1 and she has art for both her sides. She's probably a flip card.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

dragon enthusiast posted:

She's not on the leaked DFC checklist so unless her card is in EDM (in which case we get three more thrilling months of forum speculation) she won't be a flip card

There's almost assuredly 2 checklists.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

Or we have a second sheet of flip cards, which seems like it'll be the case to me.

Leaked checklist spans all five colors plus artifacts. Would they split the cards up like they did if there really were a second SOI checklist? Could CH2 represent the EDM checklist?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

dragon enthusiast posted:

Leaked checklist spans all five colors plus artifacts. Would they split the cards up like they did if there really were a second SOI checklist? Could CH2 represent the EDM checklist?

Could be divided by commons/uncommons vs. rares/mythics, I guess?

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

It would make sense to split it by monocolor and multicolor as well.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I'm glad to hear Kindly Strangers are a common occurrence in Innistrad. I never hear anything good about that place.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Fiend Computer posted:

It would make sense to split it by monocolor and multicolor as well.

Well that makes sense because they don't print multicolor cards at common in non-explicitly multicolor sets.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
What do you guys think about Grixis control for standard? Just ordered some Chandras and I'm hoping she's kinda like Elspeth-lite. Loved that card last standard.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
let's speculate

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

suicidesteve posted:

Oh nice Revised duals, you filthy pleb. It's only original art, English, no Revised.

I almost want to play the format just so I can play with the worst version of everything. MIR Trikes, Conspiracy StPs, 9th edition Kird Apes. All foreign. If they're going to sanction the event they can't stop me. :colbert:

How dare you mention two Terese Nielsen illustrated cards as examples of worst versions.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

vandalism posted:

What do you guys think about Grixis control for standard? Just ordered some Chandras and I'm hoping she's kinda like Elspeth-lite. Loved that card last standard.

Is it blue?

Needs Jaces, deck's probably insane.

Moving on.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I am pretty hype for werewolf planeswalker

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Hellsau posted:

Play U/B Teachings.

Hit me with a good list. After tron barfed on me nonstop for 6 games I ran some reps today and had fun. Just copied something off of a 5-0 from a couple weeks ago with a couple of budget adjustments.

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 3, 2016

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

If I preorder from channel fireball a soi box, do they include the buy a box card or not?

Thanks in advance.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Dehtraen posted:

Hit me with a good list. After tron barfed on me nonstop for 6 games I ran some reps today and had fun. Just copied something off of a 5-0 from a couple weeks ago with a couple of budget adjustments.

I'm not hellsau but here's the list I used in the last paper league at my lgs: http://deckbox.org/sets/1274506

I used hymns in the paper version but you can't online. I also went 11-0 over the course of the event. The deck is also super flexible, swap whatever instants you want around for whatever you like better. It's fun to play and miserable to play against, especially when you can start capsizing with buyback every turn.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Dehtraen posted:

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/381253#online

I copied this list and it was fine. It needs at least one Hydroblast because not having one to Teachings for to kill Curse of the Pierced Heart is dumb, and you bring it in against half the decks if only as a crappy Dispel countering Pyroblast. Buncha Mulldrifters wins a lot of games.

e: also anyone who plays Goblin Fireslinger and/or Keldon Marauders in Burn is making a mistake - don't turn on your opponents' removal, please. They make the deck outstandingly worse against what should be good matchups.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

pauper is the best constructed format and it is not close

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The only good thing I have to say about pauper burn is that it plays Needle Drop, which is a loving dope card.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AgentSythe posted:

pauper is the best constructed format and it is not close

Fact.

I won a game of UWR vs Acid Trip against him today with the following line:

Flashback Firebolt on your Mulldrifter, flashback Firebolt on your Kor Skyfisher, Galvanic Blast your Dream Stalker, Galvanic Blast your other Dream Stalker, overload Electrickery, killing 2 Lone Missionaries, 2 Dream Stalkers, a Kor Skyfisher, and putting 1 damage on an Auramancer then whittling away at his 36 life.

I won another game with a 24 point Rolling Thunder with 2 cards left in my deck.

I also won a game by playing turn 1 Great Furnace, Kuldotha Rebirth and just killing everything he played for 5 turns. Journey to Nowhere on a Goblin token may have happened in this game.

I also lost a game with something like turn 3 Angler, turn 4 Angler, turn 5 Scavenger plus Mandrills, turn 6 Mandrills plus Stinkweed Imp. It was absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Oubliette being listed for 99$ makes me realize wanting pauper to be more popular was one of those monkey paw things :smith:

• Locked thread